• Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

Anyone else have this problem? :

X-Fi Surround sound capable sound card - CHECK

X540 5.1 Surround sound speakers - CHECK

Windows fully recognising and utilising said setup - CHECK

Every other surround-compatible game in existence recognising and using 5.1 surround - CHECK

GTAIV not even acknowledging the fact that all the above are true, and insisting I have nothing more than "Stereo" or "Headphones"? - CHECK

confused.gif

plimmy
  • plimmy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Kurgen @ Dec 30 2008, 08:14)
Anyone else have this problem? :

X-Fi Surround sound capable sound card - CHECK

X540 5.1 Surround sound speakers - CHECK

Windows fully recognising and utilising said setup - CHECK

Every other surround-compatible game in existence recognising and using 5.1 surround - CHECK

GTAIV not even acknowledging the fact that all the above are true, and insisting I have nothing more than "Stereo" or "Headphones"? - CHECK

confused.gif

I have the same problem.....as you say no problems with any other games or windows.

COME ON ROCKSTAR YOU HAVE BEEN SILENT ENOUGH............WE NEED ANSWERS.

hangnailme
  • hangnailme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:48 AM Edited by hangnailme, 30 December 2008 - 09:55 AM.

strange...have the same card and speaker-system...no problems witch gta....at least the sound works confused.gif

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have same speakers, but using SupremeFX II

so can tell you the speakers work.... sure you got it in 5.1 in any tool that comes with your sound card, as I have a SoundMax Blackhawk you need to stick in 5.1 speaker mode for it to work and not just the audio in control panel.... Also check OUTPUT:- in sound menu in GTAIV....

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

I have a problem with the surround setup as well, my speakers are on my hi-fi, they have sub woofers on them and only work when plugged into my centre/bass channel on my motherboard, this works excellent with windows and other games, but GTA wont play the game through the centre/bass channel properly, all I can hear is the windows live 'beeps' and poeple talking inside cars, regardless of what setup I chose in GTA this doesn't change.

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

that does not sound right only having 1 cable plug, or do you have a surround gray socket on your card?

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (hangnailme @ Dec 30 2008, 09:48)
strange...have the same card and speaker-system...no problems witch gta....at least the sound works confused.gif

Yeah, weird thing is, the sound seems to work OK, although I'm not certain I'm getting the proper channels out of each speaker. All I know is the left/right are OK, Sub is OK, and centre is there, but quiet. Rear L/R I'm not so sure about, but they're usually quite quiet anyway. The annoying thing is the game not even recognising that I have surround capability, and as a result, I can't configure it properly in the game.

Anach
  • Anach

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

SBLive 5.1

I noticed that since the patch, and enabling 5.1 in-game, the dialogue in cars and buildings is very quiet, but running in stereo is fine.

Before the patch I didnt have a prob with sound.

benfp
  • benfp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Then try to un-patch the game. It can be done quickly by removing GTAIV.exe, GTAIV.exe.cat, GTAIV.exe.cdf and GTAIV.exe.cfg in your C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV directory (or wherever you installed it) then by repairing GTA IV.

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

If it's that easy to do, I'll maybe try it, but what about save games from the patched version? Won't they have compatibility issues when reverting to pre-patch status?

Anach
  • Anach

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Restoring the previous version brings more broken features than it would fix. I'd have to suffer flickering shadows, and no damage on cars, just to get 5.1 sound to work and IMHO that's not a fix.

Hoping RS can fix this for the next patch.

ribzodiazepine
  • ribzodiazepine

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

I am having exactly the same problem, can anyone help with this?

I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit, Gigabyte P35 DS3 Rev 1.0 Mobo, Logitech Z5500 Speakers and I am using the Digital Optical Cable to connect the speakers to my motherboard.

I cannot select 5.1 in the GTAIV options? Please help?

DRMetzger
  • DRMetzger

The doctor is in.......sane

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

5.1 works for me but I have 7.1 audio so 2 speakers aren't working, any chance for 7.1 support in the future as most PC games have supported it for years now? I suppose I could reassign the 2 not working to the rear speakers too or something but I don't know that I would consider that a fix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users