Photo

Graphics - Vehicle Density Setting

32 replies to this topic
Parax
  • Parax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

I noticed that the Vehicle density setting determines the amount of traffic.
I cant help feeling that it is a cheat to be able to turn the traffic off..

am i missing something?

so I want a car I turn it up to 100 and find what im looking for...
and when wanted setting to 1 enables a fast get away...

Also cop cars seem to be a set % of traffic so if density is 100 and Im stuck in a jam theres a cop car in front and one behind... a nightmare when wanted but.. set density to 1 and theres none in sight... all of a sudden this game is too easy...

So the question is what do you use? does it effect anything else?

P.

Astaldo711
  • Astaldo711

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

It has to do with performance. It runs so crappy on PC that they added in so you can play the game. So technically it isn't a cheat, but it can be used like it.

Spaceman Spliff
  • Spaceman Spliff

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

I leave it up around the maximum. It's so realistic with all the traffic jams on the bridges and congested intersections and the long lines at stops....

I haven't tried any lower settings because it would just be weird playing the game with little or no car traffic. And I haven't had any problem making daring getaways from the cops at the highest settings. (In fact, this game is ridiculously easy with a mouse and keyboard. The only time I ever fail a mission is if I get a phone call while I'm trying to get into a vehicle to get away from the cops. The phone puts you in walk-only mode where you can't climb or jump and you can't enter or exit vehicles! So I just get shot as I try to walk away from NOOSE trucks. Next time I'm going to try hanging up the damn phone instead).

polkunus
  • polkunus

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Spaceman Spliff @ Dec 28 2008, 23:04)
I leave it up around the maximum. It's so realistic with all the traffic jams on the bridges and congested intersections and the long lines at stops....

I haven't tried any lower settings because it would just be weird playing the game with little or no car traffic. And I haven't had any problem making daring getaways from the cops at the highest settings. (In fact, this game is ridiculously easy with a mouse and keyboard. The only time I ever fail a mission is if I get a phone call while I'm trying to get into a vehicle to get away from the cops. The phone puts you in walk-only mode where you can't climb or jump and you can't enter or exit vehicles! So I just get shot as I try to walk away from NOOSE trucks. Next time I'm going to try hanging up the damn phone instead).

what he said.

More AI carcrashes also.

Parax
  • Parax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I understand the possible performance issue.. and why its added, but it isn't very good that not just the visual experience varies but the overall game difficulty varies based on your hardware...

I didn't really notice what it did at first and have left it at the default for most of the way through, I was just playing with graphics settings turned it down and noticed that I made it through the Booth Tunnel at full speed and thought that was odd....lol

P.

noVa
  • noVa

Avast Ye Mateys

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (polkunus @ Dec 28 2008, 23:06)
QUOTE (Spaceman Spliff @ Dec 28 2008, 23:04)
I leave it up around the maximum.  It's so realistic with all the traffic jams on the bridges and congested intersections and the long lines at stops.... 

I haven't tried any lower settings because it would just be weird playing the game with little or no car traffic.  And I haven't had any problem making daring getaways from the cops at the highest settings.  (In fact, this game is ridiculously easy with a mouse and keyboard.  The only time I ever fail a mission is if I get a phone call while I'm trying to get into a vehicle to get away from the cops.  The phone puts you in walk-only mode where you can't climb or jump and you can't enter or exit vehicles!  So I just get shot as I try to walk away from NOOSE trucks.  Next time I'm going to try hanging up the damn phone instead).

what he said.

More AI carcrashes also.

yep,

once there was a line of about 15 cars all changing lanes in perfect sync weaving from lane to lane, very strange.

ron123
  • ron123

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

It is just a bad option that co**star added to the pc version, low traffic makes the gta much easier and fun (as a result of the fast movement) while high vehicle density makes the game more realistic and slow (and as a result pretty hard)

It was better if the devs decide which game experience is the best then letting us change the settings.

rubiomhs
  • rubiomhs

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

much easier to outrun the cops when there's trucks and vans all over the place to block the crappy cop ai. less traffic=more work as you have to actually outrun them first, then try to hide in an alley.

Shof
  • Shof

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (rubiomhs @ Dec 28 2008, 18:43)
much easier to outrun the cops when there's trucks and vans all over the place to block the crappy cop ai. less traffic=more work as you have to actually outrun them first, then try to hide in an alley.

if you have a fast car, its just easier to just floor it and outrun the cops in speed

Sorkenlol
  • Sorkenlol

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

Ooh so that's what it is.. I always thought it changed the visual quality of the cars, though I thought it was bugged as I didn't notice any difference visually when changing it, so I've always had it at 0.. Thanks for the heads up.

PacMaan
  • PacMaan

LIES

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

It only becomes a cheat when you use it as a cheat mercie_blink.gif

nynth.plague
  • nynth.plague

Grand Master Flash

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (PacMaan @ Dec 29 2008, 00:05)
It only becomes a cheat when you use it as a cheat mercie_blink.gif

i agree.

it can be used as a cheat... but it is good that R* gave us the decision for More or Less cars.

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Shof @ Dec 28 2008, 17:51)
much easier to outrun the cops when there's trucks and vans all over the place to block the crappy cop ai.  less traffic=more work as you have to actually outrun them first, then try to hide in an alley.

if you have a fast car, its just easier to just floor it and outrun the cops in speed

But it's more fun with a lot of cars.

So sure, if you think cops are THAT hard then lower the the density to make it even easier. The grownups who like the game to be fun/challenging will leave it up.

noVa
  • noVa

Avast Ye Mateys

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

i've always found it ridiculously easy to out run the police on the console version, more traffic up's the anti a bit on the pc!

PestilenceJM
  • PestilenceJM

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

Hmm confused.gif i have it kinda low because the game runs better, but i would love a smooth gameplay + alot of traffic. Since its fun to have more road "enemies".

I think that there are only a certain bank of cars spawning at the same time. E.g. 5 different vehicles wich you see over and over again. In this case, it wouldnt change much if you set the density up or not.
I have noticed this when i was searching for a certain car... high or low density: no change, didnt help me finding the car.

As for the getaway from cops: I think you can very easy drive between alot of traffic. Its maybe a bit harder then without traffic, but the cops DO ALSO need to get through the same traffic to chase you.

Conclusion: Doesnt change much. Cops get stuck in high traffic aswell as you. Low or high traffic doesnt change the fact that some certain cars sometimes just wont spawn.

IJM
  • IJM

I am NOT in denial.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:31 AM

Don't think of it as a cheat. Think of it as a difficulty setting. Anyway, if you set it to a ridiculously low setting for anything other than performance reasons, you're only cheating yourself.

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

Habs fan, for about 2 weeks every year...

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (IJM @ Dec 28 2008, 22:31)
Don't think of it as a cheat. Think of it as a difficulty setting. Anyway, if you set it to a ridiculously low setting for anything other than performance reasons, you're only cheating yourself.

Exactly. You can use it as a cheat, but you don't have to.
I always leave it at 100, otherwise the city feels too empty for my tastes... even then, I wouldn't mind going to 150 tounge2.gif

peter g
  • peter g

Ho Tamin' Motherfhucker

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 29 2008, 04:19)
QUOTE (IJM @ Dec 28 2008, 22:31)
Don't think of it as a cheat.  Think of it as a difficulty setting.  Anyway, if you set it to a ridiculously low setting for anything other than performance reasons, you're only cheating yourself.

I always leave it at 100, otherwise the city feels too empty for my tastes... even then, I wouldn't mind going to 150 tounge2.gif

Does it hurt your FPS much?

Corgi
  • Corgi

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

I beat the game with mine at around 30% and now I cruise around just at 100%. I didn't know it actually made any difference towards altering the difficult of the game, though...

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:09 AM

I personally love the game at 100% vehicle density and yes it does change the way the game plays. I remember the console version felt like a ghost town at times.

The stunt jumps on the console version were ludicrously easy at most times you could get a 5 mile run up to the jumps and encounter maybe 1 car if you were lucky. Not so on the PC version the stunt jumps with vehicle density set to 100% are a right royal pain in the arse but so much more challenging and rewarding.

I am glad Rockstar gave us the ability to change the traffic density it helps those on lesser systems enjoy the game and allows us with "better" systems to really whack up an excellent feature of the game.

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

Habs fan, for about 2 weeks every year...

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (peter g @ Dec 28 2008, 23:23)

I always leave it at 100, otherwise the city feels too empty for my tastes... even then, I wouldn't mind going to 150  tounge2.gif

Not sure, I always played with it at maximum. But I do get mid-30's fps with a fairly average rig ([email protected],5ghz, 2gis ram, 8800gts 320mb) so it must not be that bad...

Same for Detail Quality, that I can say has no performance effect wether it's on 0 or 100 so it's always at maximum too.

Wis3boi
  • Wis3boi

PC Gaming...the birthplace of gaming

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

I leave mine at 10, since it doesnt seem to affect performance much or at all. Plus, traffic jams are quite fun to see, especially in times square, it looks amazing......even more so in a massive shootout with like 100 cars involved...so much cover, so many things to explode biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Loud_Ninja
  • Loud_Ninja

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

I always have mine set at 100 too, just like the realism of it and i find it funner to get away from cops that way, swerving between traffic lol.gif didnt notice any performance drop when i have it max compared to low, probably coz its mainly cpu related, just cloning the current batch of cars and i have a quad.

Jc84144
  • Jc84144

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

I always have mine at 100. The console version didn't quite have enough traffic for my liking, so putting traffic to 100 was the first thing I did.

And I guess it could be used as a "cheat", but only if you want to. And after all, other people cheating in their single player games isn't going to effect you, so what's the problem?

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (eagle016 @ Dec 29 2008, 01:44)
QUOTE (Shof @ Dec 28 2008, 17:51)
much easier to outrun the cops when there's trucks and vans all over the place to block the crappy cop ai.† less traffic=more work as you have to actually outrun them first, then try to hide in an alley.

But it's more fun with a lot of cars.

So sure, if you think cops are THAT hard then lower the the density to make it even easier. The grownups who like the game to be fun/challenging will leave it up.

For me, a growed up, it's the other way around. I used to wish there were more cars in the games, but this one I play all low, I actually prefer the ghost town feel now lol. I put it up for when I'm walking around taking in the sights, though.

rubiomhs
  • rubiomhs

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 29 2008, 05:24)

I always leave it at 100, otherwise the city feels too empty for my tastes... even then, I wouldn't mind going to 150  tounge2.gif

Not sure, I always played with it at maximum. But I do get mid-30's fps with a fairly average rig ([email protected],5ghz, 2gis ram, 8800gts 320mb) so it must not be that bad...

Same for Detail Quality, that I can say has no performance effect wether it's on 0 or 100 so it's always at maximum too.

you're like one of those idiots that have a lot of money, but tell everyone you don't care about money in an effort to look enlightened or holistic.

...a fairly average rig ([email protected],5ghz, 2gis ram, 8800gts 320mb)

negro please. sarcasm.gif

also, 35 fps is a terrible fps in this game.

Vercetti Thug
  • Vercetti Thug

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (rubiomhs @ Dec 29 2008, 07:10)
QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 29 2008, 05:24)

I always leave it at 100, otherwise the city feels too empty for my tastes... even then, I wouldn't mind going to 150† tounge2.gif

you're like one of those idiots that have a lot of money, but tell everyone you don't care about money in an effort to look enlightened or holistic.

...a fairly average rig ([email protected],5ghz, 2gis ram, 8800gts 320mb)

negro please. sarcasm.gif

also, 35 fps is a terrible fps in this game.

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all, damn troll. suicidal.gif

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 29 2008, 05:09)
I am glad Rockstar gave us the ability to change the traffic density it helps those on lesser systems enjoy the game and allows us with "better" systems to really whack up an excellent feature of the game.

Yeah its a feature, nice one btw. biggrin.gif

supertin
  • supertin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (ron123 @ Dec 29 2008, 10:41)
It was better if the devs decide which game experience is the best then letting us change the settings.

Oh noes! Devs gives us teh optionz!

If you don't like options, buy an XBox and sell the PC. Then you'll get very limited options. Heck, most games barely let you set the controls on those damn things.

Meanwhile, I like the option of making the game more challenging than the default later, or possibly making it easier if I find I'm struggling. Much more fun that way then getting halfway through a game and discovering it's too hard or pathetically easy.

mastertitsoyo
  • mastertitsoyo

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:07 PM Edited by mastertitsoyo, 29 December 2008 - 12:35 PM.

so can people post there graphics settings so i can have the same optimization with 100 cars because i usually get frame rate out the ass with no traffic on my specs are: xp 32 sp3 bit, 8800gts 640mb, 2gb ram, 650 psu, physx card 128mb, 2.41ghz dual core amd and i can't even get the game to run at a steady frame rate for some odd reason so i ordered more ram thinking that maybe that would help confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users