What have I done to increase FPS on my system.
Don't forget to create backup copies of files you will modify!
All files I modified here are for patched GTA IV [v126.96.36.199]
0) install DOX optimized Nvidia drivers 180.84 ( XP_180.84.1.exe 20,2 MB ) - with "Balanced settings" (if you have Nvidia GPU)
( you can get drivers here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers )
1) get - Magic IV Mod - Enables file modding in GTA IV.
2) after you setup MagicIV, overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data\timecyc.dat with one of my modified files
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_FarClp_101.rar - FarClp is 101.00
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_FarClp_151.rar - FarClp is 151.00
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_alwaysExtraSunny.rar - default FarClp (1500.00) and always good extra sunny weather =)
FarClp - is distance drawing.
3) overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\visualSettings.dat with my one
visualSettings_101_bloom_off.rar - it just disables bloom too, and game looks more realistic.
4) create C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\commandline.txt file with lines:
You can try to play with this options, add or remove: -nomemrestrict, -noprecache options.
change: -availablevidmem 2.00 - to 1.00 or 0.50 or 2.25.
change other lines on your point.
You can also clean your older settings before launch GTA IV. remove all files from your C:\Documents and Settings\[your_username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\*
5) you can also put all 90 shader *.fxc files from C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\shaders\win32_30_atidx10\*
to C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\shaders\win32_30_nv8\ with overwrite.
it can significantly boost your FPS.
6) just to avoid logos when game is loading
7) overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\fragments\fragment.xml with my
fragment_globmaxdrawdist250.rar - I guess it may increase a little FPS.
8) make sure your GPU is not getting too hot!
because when my GPU is getting too hot - drivers(?) automatically puts my GPU on lower clock/shaders/mem MHz speed to cool GPU. (and CPU(?))
find any ways to keep your Laptop/PC cold
9) keep your Video, Chipset, Sound drivers updated! And BIOS firmware too!
10) when you are launch GTA IV, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Task Manager pops up - in "Process" tab find RGSC.exe process - and terminate it!
find "GTAIV.exe" process - right click on, select "Set Priority" -> "High". And back to your game.
11) get "Contig.exe" tool
direct link: http://download.sysi...iles/Contig.zip
unzip and put Contig.exe tool to your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\ folder
press Win+R and type: "C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -s -v
press OK button and wait until Contig finishes defragmentation of your GTA IV game files.
[Turning off Shadows with Asi loader - doesn't increase FPS]
---------=== my Nvidia driver settings ===---------
launch "NVIDIA Control Panel"
|=== 3D Settings ===|
- Adjust image settings with preview
(*) Use the advanced 3D image settings
- Manage 3D settings
Global Settings tab
Anisotropic filtering: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
Antialiasing - Setting: None
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware
Error reporting: Off
Extension limit: Off
Force mipmaps: None
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 6
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: Force off
- Set PhysX configuration
PhysX GPU acceleration is...
=== Mobile ===
Change PowerMizer settings
(*) Not manage my power consumption (Disable PowerMizer)
I suggest you to play with "Maximum pre-rendered frames: 6" (default was 3, I put 6)
because Maximum pre-rendered frames limits the number of frames the CPU can prepare before the frames are processed by
the GPU. Increasing this value can result in smoother gameplay at lower framerates.