What have I done to increase FPS on my system.
Don't forget to create backup copies of files you will modify!
All files I modified here are for patched GTA IV [v22.214.171.124]
0) install DOX optimized Nvidia drivers 180.84 ( XP_180.84.1.exe 20,2 MB ) - with "Balanced settings" (if you have Nvidia GPU)
( you can get drivers here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers )
1) get - Magic IV Mod - Enables file modding in GTA IV.
2) after you setup MagicIV, overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data\timecyc.dat with one of my modified files
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_FarClp_101.rar - FarClp is 101.00
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_FarClp_151.rar - FarClp is 151.00
timecyc_101_IntensityBloom_000_alwaysExtraSunny.rar - default FarClp (1500.00) and always good extra sunny weather =)
FarClp - is distance drawing.
3) overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\visualSettings.dat with my one
visualSettings_101_bloom_off.rar - it just disables bloom too, and game looks more realistic.
4) create C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\commandline.txt file with lines:
You can try to play with this options, add or remove: -nomemrestrict, -noprecache options.
change: -availablevidmem 2.00 - to 1.00 or 0.50 or 2.25.
change other lines on your point.
You can also clean your older settings before launch GTA IV. remove all files from your C:\Documents and Settings\[your_username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\*
5) you can also put all 90 shader *.fxc files from C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\shaders\win32_30_atidx10\*
to C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\shaders\win32_30_nv8\ with overwrite.
it can significantly boost your FPS.
6) just to avoid logos when game is loading
7) overwrite your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\fragments\fragment.xml with my
fragment_globmaxdrawdist250.rar - I guess it may increase a little FPS.
8) make sure your GPU is not getting too hot!
because when my GPU is getting too hot - drivers(?) automatically puts my GPU on lower clock/shaders/mem MHz speed to cool GPU. (and CPU(?))
find any ways to keep your Laptop/PC cold
9) keep your Video, Chipset, Sound drivers updated! And BIOS firmware too!
10) when you are launch GTA IV, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Task Manager pops up - in "Process" tab find RGSC.exe process - and terminate it!
find "GTAIV.exe" process - right click on, select "Set Priority" -> "High". And back to your game.
11) get "Contig.exe" tool
direct link: http://download.sysi...iles/Contig.zip
unzip and put Contig.exe tool to your C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\ folder
press Win+R and type: "C:\Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -s -v
press OK button and wait until Contig finishes defragmentation of your GTA IV game files.
[Turning off Shadows with Asi loader - doesn't increase FPS]
---------=== my Nvidia driver settings ===---------
launch "NVIDIA Control Panel"
|=== 3D Settings ===|
- Adjust image settings with preview
(*) Use the advanced 3D image settings
- Manage 3D settings
Global Settings tab
Anisotropic filtering: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
Antialiasing - Setting: None
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware
Error reporting: Off
Extension limit: Off
Force mipmaps: None
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 6
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: Force off
- Set PhysX configuration
PhysX GPU acceleration is...
=== Mobile ===
Change PowerMizer settings
(*) Not manage my power consumption (Disable PowerMizer)
I suggest you to play with "Maximum pre-rendered frames: 6" (default was 3, I put 6)
because Maximum pre-rendered frames limits the number of frames the CPU can prepare before the frames are processed by
the GPU. Increasing this value can result in smoother gameplay at lower framerates.
Edited by kbps, 25 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.