Pop up issues

6 replies to this topic
MattyDienhoff
  • MattyDienhoff

Professional Hitman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

Well, after upgrading my system (It was overdue anyway), upgrading and downgrading drivers and using all manner of tweaks, I've finally found the sweet spot in which GTA IV runs well and looks great, only one problem remains.

Pop up. Even though the game runs at an average FPS of around 28, the game often gets lazy loading things until I'm very close, so sometimes the road 'glazes over' because I get to it before it loads, and other times just looking around causes things that had already loaded to blur out and load again. This problem is worse some times than others, and seems most noticable after I've been playing for some time, though I can't be sure of that.

Benchmark results, taken today:

Statistics
Average FPS: 35.84
Duration: 36.99 sec
CPU Usage: 86%
System memory usage: 50%
Video memory usage: 98%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (75 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Very High
View Distance: 33
Detail Distance: 50

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.6891
Audio Adapter: C-Media Wave Device
Intel Pentium III Xeon processor

But the benchmark is a bit confused about my system, here are some more accurate & specific system specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00GHz
MEM: 4GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: MSI ATi Radeon HD4850 512MB PCI-e (Catalyst 8.12 drivers)

That said, though, when I noticed the pop up most of all yesterday I was running the game on high render quality, and I'd forgotten there were any higher settings. Is setting the render quality to highest likely to solve the problem?

IHV
  • IHV

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:38 AM Edited by IHV, 23 December 2008 - 09:42 AM.

You only have 512vram so ofcourse your going to have pop ups, especially on high and even on medium after 1h+ gametime or so.
Solution is adding -nomemrestrict to commandline. Sadly this make my game stutter a bit. But is better than to have no textures. Hopefully patch will solve it but who knows, R doesnt give a f*ck about community.

Btw im using -memrestrict 31xxxxxx instead of those mentioned above, cant remember the exact number. It supposedly stops memory leaking and also i have very little pop ups with this command. And i also use -availablevidmem 1.45 supposedly makes your game use some sysram as vram, not sure if it works since ive noticed no difference.

Patch made thing bit dodgy, before it i ran game on high without any commandlines on same fps as medium, now it stutters on high.

MattyDienhoff
  • MattyDienhoff

Professional Hitman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:13 PM Edited by MattyDienhoff, 25 December 2008 - 06:16 PM.

QUOTE (IHV @ Dec 23 2008, 09:38)
You only have 512vram so ofcourse your going to have pop ups, especially on high and even on medium after 1h+ gametime or so.
Solution is adding -nomemrestrict to commandline. Sadly this make my game stutter a bit. But is better than to have no textures. Hopefully patch will solve it but who knows, R doesnt give a f*ck about community.

Btw im using -memrestrict 31xxxxxx instead of those mentioned above, cant remember the exact number. It supposedly stops memory leaking and also i have very little pop ups with this command. And i also use -availablevidmem 1.45 supposedly makes your game use some sysram as vram, not sure if it works since ive noticed no difference.

Patch made thing bit dodgy, before it i ran game on high without any commandlines on same fps as medium, now it stutters on high.

Firstly, it's my understanding 512MB is the norm for video card memory right now. Not only that, it's recommended spec. Are you saying a graphics card above recommended spec is only capable of running the game on low texture detail without issues?

Secondly, as far as I can tell it's not even using all of the video memory when the pop up issues are occuring. I even have pop up problems inside buildings when the FPS is steady.

Thirdly, I don't just get pop up when I travel fast into a new area or when things are really busy. If I even do something as simple as rotate the camera quickly things fade out to their distant, low-detail versions, then load again, constantly. This even happens in the safehouses when the FPS is up to the 40s and 50s. It's as if the game believes it has less resources at it's disposal than it does, or simply miscalculates where I am and what it needs to load. I have no idea, but it's ****ed up somehow.

At any rate, nothing I've tried helps. I've tried every functional command line combination I can think of, I've tried various tricks I've found on the forums, I've tried in-depth tweaking of display driver settings with ATI Tray Tools... nothing. If anything peformance has just gotten worse and the pop up has stayed the same. Although it performs competently in the benchmark, the game runs at an average FPS of 22 in Algonquin no matter the settings (it's slightly higher in the other boroughs), even setting texture detail to low only yields a small FPS boost at the cost of making the game look 10 years older. Popup is always at least somewhat apparent (but gets somewhat worse as time goes on), and while I have no problem with z-fighting streetside objects, some interior objects and some foilage do have a peculiar pixelation effect to them. (Most physics objects such as tires, newspaper boxes, phoneboxes and so on also have this effect until you get close to them)

Pop up issues (That's right, it's not just mere details on the architecture and flowerboxes that don't load properly/fade out, here the entire freeway goes to a long distance LOD version, then re-loads if I move the camera around)
user posted image
user posted image

Pixelation effect
user posted image
user posted image

noVa
  • noVa

Avast Ye Mateys

• Members

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

no point getting mad, theres loads of people with the same problems as you use search.

with a resolution of 1600x1200 though i'd fully expect pop ups as i get them also.

EvilBeanbag545
  • EvilBeanbag545

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

try these settings and see if it works,you need to take the stress of your vram,

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (75 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality:High
View Distance:15
Detail Distance: 45
Shadows:0 or 2

if it works, just slowly up them little by little to your preference.

MattyDienhoff
  • MattyDienhoff

Professional Hitman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

with a resolution of 1600x1200 though i'd fully expect pop ups as i get them also.

But it's just not as simple as that. I tried going down as far as 800x600, and I didn't get any significant FPS gain and pop up was still an issue. Same goes with all of the other settings. The only one that makes a significant difference is texture quality (setting it to low gains some FPS but puts the game back in the stone age, visually)

noVa
  • noVa

Avast Ye Mateys

• Members

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (MattyDienhoff @ Dec 26 2008, 01:28)

But it's just not as simple as that. I tried going down as far as 800x600, and I didn't get any significant FPS gain and pop up was still an issue. Same goes with all of the other settings. The only one that makes a significant difference is texture quality (setting it to low gains some FPS but puts the game back in the stone age, visually)

this has to be the weirdest game i've ever encountered, different settings don't do what their supposed to and everyone has different settings to different results.

i had my game sorted for a bit it started to lag up again

so i've done a fresh install of xp nothing else on the pc and it still stutters, turned the draw distance up and it got better 10 minutes later back to stuttering and no sign of a memory leak.

i'm just gonna put up with it and start bitching when the patch f*cks it up even more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users