gta iv pc poor sales

629 replies to this topic
mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

That's good, because I don't want to have a crazy f*cking Russian on my back XD

And before anyone does get on my back, it's a reference to the Snatch movie and merely a joke biggrin.gif

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Drunk Russian 9 @ Sep 2 2009, 21:22)
[QUOTE=CharmingCharlie,Sep 2 2009, 13:30]
OnTopic. As said before the low sales are a dangerous gamble for us, since it go either way . . . R* completely dumping IV for PC, or actually putting effort into the next game. Although I completely doubt it will be the latter.

why would R* bother... everyone just pirated gta iv, if i were them I wouldn't even bother with doing a proper job on gta v for PC.. skip it altogether and leave the ungrateful ***** on PC with nothing to moan about out. dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (aJackson @ Sep 3 2009, 13:20)
[QUOTE=Drunk Russian 9,Sep 2 2009, 21:22] [QUOTE=CharmingCharlie,Sep 2 2009, 13:30]
OnTopic. As said before the low sales are a dangerous gamble for us, since it go either way . . . R* completely dumping IV for PC, or actually putting effort into the next game. Although I completely doubt it will be the latter. [/QUOTE]
why would R* bother... everyone just pirated gta iv, if i were them I wouldn't even bother with doing a proper job on gta v for PC.. skip it altogether and leave the ungrateful ***** on PC with nothing to moan about out. dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

If you were Rockstar, they would have closed down a long time back with that kind of attitude.

And where did you pull those stats from that everyone pirated GTA IV? I have purchased the game legally and I'm as grateful to R* as anybody else. As long as there are dedicated fans around, there will always be a reason to keep porting all future GTA games to the PC.

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ Sep 3 2009, 00:23)
If you were Rockstar, they would have closed down a long time back with that kind of attitude.

And where did you pull those stats from that everyone pirated GTA IV? I have purchased the game legally and I'm as grateful to R* as anybody else. As long as there are dedicated fans around, there will always be a reason to keep porting all future GTA games to the PC.

LOL go to any torrent site and see how many leechers there still are for this game that came out almost year ago!! also Look at how many downlaods there had been for gta iv on some torrent sites.. its in the hundreds of thousands!!! wink.gif wink.gif

go to any forum and everyone talks abuot playing gta iv... yet actual sales figures are pathetic... wonder where all these people got to play gta iv then ... tounge2.gif tounge2.gif

plus there are pirates who still come here and ask for support for the game!!

you don't need a dregree in statistics to work this one out ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

just because you and me bought the game doesn't mean squat, most people didn't...
R* might not bother porting the game to PC next time given how stupid gamers have been about gta iv and how ungrateful theyve been dontgetit.gif dontgetit.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

Are you telling me that there were lesser illegal downloads of the previous GTA games? The fact is inspite of those f*cking pirates there are still a substantial amount of people who buy the game and this figure is substantial enough for Rockstar to not suffer a loss. The day they start incurring losses with their PC games, you'll know because there won't be any more PC games then. What I'm saying is that the sales of GTA IV might be less than that of the previous GTA games but there is no indication that Rockstar has actually suffered any loss from the poor sales. They have laughed their way to the bank with every single GTA game. Let's not forget the insane amount of money they already made by bringing out the DLCs. If those DLCs fail, it'll be MS who'll be at a loss, not R*. Even then, they can make up for those minor losses by releasing the DLCs on PC.

As I see it, pirates are affecting sales, no doubt, but not to the extent that Rockstar would have to consider taking off GTA from the PC shelves completely. At least, not yet.

Leo Colt
  • Leo Colt

Psychopathic Philantrophist

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ Sep 3 2009, 11:05)
As I see it, pirates are affecting sales, no doubt, but not to the extent that Rockstar would have to consider taking off GTA from the PC shelves completely. At least, not yet.

Piracy has a minimal effect on sales. Most pirates would not have bought this game, or any other GTA games, regardless. That is proven, undisputable fact. Pirate Cat does not pay for his downloads. Only in rare circumstances, such as Spore, do the majority of paying customers turn to piracy instead of purchasing the game. But as I said, that is a very rare situation, and can only happen based on certain factors.

If there has been an increase in piracy, then that can be attributed to a variety of factors. Spore became the most pirated game of the year (if not all time) simply because of it's draconian DRM: SecuROM. People didn't want it, and the pirate version was arguably the superior version (certainly in all these people's eyes). The same could be said about GTA IV. It uses the same DRM as Spore (although Rockstar was not ridiculously overzealous about it) but enough people were scared off by the Spore incident, not wanting to ever come across that version of SecuROM ever again. Also, a lot of people, having become acquainted with the nature of piracy, will have continued to pirate. Therefore, these people would never have purchased it anyway. A small portion may have purchased the game if it didn't have SecuROM, but this is a minuscule group of people. The effect is negligable at best though, as games that are completely free or without any protection software whatsoever have proved. My point here is that DRM introduces people to piracy, and that continued DRM scares off the small group of people who would have bought the game as opposed to just pirating again. Pirates generally never intend to purchase a game anyway, although sometimes you get people who pirate and then actually buy. Other factors that can increase piracy is the negative reception this port received. If people hear that it's bad, but want to try it out anyway out of morbid curiousity, they sure as hell are going to obtain it for free rather than pay for it.

Now you have to look at the people that didn't pirate, but didn't buy it. People were scared off by the massive problems going on at launch, and the negative reviews of the game. Also, more people perhaps bought it on console rather than PC because of factors such as avaliability and DLC. It WAS a poor port, so it's not unreasonable to expect that lower sales were caused because of that. It's so easy for people to blame piracy, but the fact of the matter is that it usually has such a minimal effect on sales that it does not make a valid excuse.

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Sep 3 2009, 03:53)
Piracy has a minimal effect on sales. Most pirates would not have bought this game, or any other GTA games, regardless. That is proven, undisputable fact. Pirate Cat does not pay for his downloads. Only in rare circumstances, such as Spore, do the majority of paying customers turn to piracy instead of purchasing the game. But as I said, that is a very rare situation, and can only happen based on certain factors.

If there has been an increase in piracy, then that can be attributed to a variety of factors. Spore became the most pirated game of the year (if not all time) simply because of it's draconian DRM: SecuROM. People didn't want it, and the pirate version was arguably the superior version (certainly in all these people's eyes). The same could be said about GTA IV. It uses the same DRM as Spore (although Rockstar was not ridiculously overzealous about it) but enough people were scared off by the Spore incident, not wanting to ever come across that version of SecuROM ever again. Also, a lot of people, having become acquainted with the nature of piracy, will have continued to pirate. Therefore, these people would never have purchased it anyway. A small portion may have purchased the game if it didn't have SecuROM, but this is a minuscule group of people. The effect is negligable at best though, as games that are completely free or without any protection software whatsoever have proved. My point here is that DRM introduces people to piracy, and that continued DRM scares off the small group of people who would have bought the game as opposed to just pirating again. Pirates generally never intend to purchase a game anyway, although sometimes you get people who pirate and then actually buy. Other factors that can increase piracy is the negative reception this port received. If people hear that it's bad, but want to try it out anyway out of morbid curiousity, they sure as hell are going to obtain it for free rather than pay for it.

Now you have to look at the people that didn't pirate, but didn't buy it. People were scared off by the massive problems going on at launch, and the negative reviews of the game. Also, more people perhaps bought it on console rather than PC because of factors such as avaliability and DLC. It WAS a poor port, so it's not unreasonable to expect that lower sales were caused because of that. It's so easy for people to blame piracy, but the fact of the matter is that it usually has such a minimal effect on sales that it does not make a valid excuse.

LOL!! One word: bullsh*t!! that's all i can say turn.gif turn.gif

proven fact that piracy doesn't affect sales??? jesus man are you stupid or something?? so if i can get something for free it doesn't affect if i decide to buy it or not?? WOWQ!! devil.gif devil.gif

all the rest of stuff you say is pure total BS man you know it, no facts, just made up stuff you pulled out of your ass.

game companies are making console games now because piracy is so much lower on consoles... just look at the torrents man... compare console torrents to pc torrents and open your eyes! sly.gif sly.gif

as for grishb,,, you know what is different about gta iv piracy... i tell you... before R* didn't have the same choice about switching to console... now they made the choice to switch, and it's been hella profitable for them, much moreso than pc, guess what will happen in the future...

piracy is gutting pc gaming and all we get are excuses from people covering up for the pirates.. it's just pure greed from the pirates, that the real reason, nothin else icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif mad.gif mad.gif

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

In reality what people are saying about piracy "not being important" is true to an extent. Publishers don't care about piracy all they care about is SALES. Now if the PC was to sell 10 million copies of GTA 4 and it was pirated 2 million times I don't think publishers would give much of a damn meself.

But lets not get too hung up on piracy, there is no excuse for it but it has been debated hundreds of times. I am sure we have all heard the arguments about for and against. This topic is supposed to be about sales of GTA 4.

Now with that in mind I am having a bit of a scrap with an xbox fanboy elsewhere in the forum wink.gif and I came across a conference call from Take Two where they were discussing financial sh*t. There are no definite figures on how many copies were sold on the PC, but this bit made me smile :-

QUOTE (Benjamin Feder - Chief Executive Officer @ Director of Take Two)
We went ahead and hired Hubert Larenaudie, a Frenchman who comes to us from EA. He's done a terrific job extending our relationships in Asia, working our catalog, working our front line releases. GTA 4 for the PC in this particular quarter helped drive some of those revenues, but I think he built a terrific team out there and I expect great things out of Asia in the future.

So Kudos to our GTA gamers in Asia icon14.gif (which I imagine encompasses India too). The important thing though is the PC is having a POSITIVE effect on Take Two's financial results and that bodes well for the franchise on the PC.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Sep 4 2009, 00:01)
Publishers don't care about piracy all they care about is SALES.

That's true. And if the PC version was released simultaneously alongside the console versions (and was actually developed for PC), the sales figures of the console versions would not look so pretty in comparison. Because of that, we have to wait the 6+ months for the PC version, and I wonder who could've possibly influenced that... either Rockstar are complete and utter pathetic idiots, or they are prostituting GTA to the wanksta console dickelopers.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Sep 3 2009, 19:31)
QUOTE (Benjamin Feder - Chief Executive Officer @ Director of Take Two)
We went ahead and hired Hubert Larenaudie, a Frenchman who comes to us from EA. He's done a terrific job extending our relationships in Asia, working our catalog, working our front line releases. GTA 4 for the PC in this particular quarter helped drive some of those revenues, but I think he built a terrific team out there and I expect great things out of Asia in the future.

So Kudos to our GTA gamers in Asia icon14.gif (which I imagine encompasses India too). The important thing though is the PC is having a POSITIVE effect on Take Two's financial results and that bodes well for the franchise on the PC.

Indeed. If the sales in India were higher than expected, then it was majorly because of the reduced price. R* got this one right, targeting the middle class people by dropping the price. At a tempting price of Rs.499, one does not think twice before getting the game; the general consensus being if I can get the original this cheap why bother downloading or buying an illegal copy? Mind you, illegitimate copies sell for Rs.150-200 around here. If they continue in the same vein, I'm pretty sure piracy will take a hit and the sales will go up. Too bad cheapskates will always be cheapskates but, at least, the genuine fans will not have to settle for anything less.

Drunk Russian 9
  • Drunk Russian 9

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (DML @ Sep 3 2009, 14:10)
QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Sep 4 2009, 00:01)
Publishers don't care about piracy all they care about is SALES.

That's true. And if the PC version was released simultaneously alongside the console versions (and was actually developed for PC), the sales figures of the console versions would not look so pretty in comparison. Because of that, we have to wait the 6+ months for the PC version, and I wonder who could've possibly influenced that... either Rockstar are complete and utter pathetic idiots, or they are prostituting GTA to the wanksta console dickelopers.

Well actually, Microsoft themselves stated that the reason for the delay was so that PC gamers would be influenced to buy the console version instead. Anyway, talking of piracy, here is a list of the most downloaded GTA IV related files:

user posted image

As you can see, PC outnumbers 360 in terms of pirating, but 360 is pretty high in the list considering it's been nearly a year and a half since it came out. You never see the press mention this, huh.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

game companies are making console games now because piracy is so much lower on consoles... just look at the torrents man... compare console torrents to pc torrents and open your eyes!

Yes. I'm looking at the torrents right now...You can ALWAYS find X360 games on torrents a few days or weeks before the release.

BTW Section 8 will be released tomorrow on both PC and X360:
user posted image

It's the most fresh example of HUGE piracy on X360.

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

sure xbox 360 torrents exist but there are always waaaay more pc torrents for each game... but there aren't way more gamer capable pcs than consoles LOL ... you do the math smile.gif smile.gif

yep sales are what important so R* would see the sales and see that there's no way any game the likes of gta could sell this badly on pc except for piracy... look at all other major games being released and they're all bombing on pc compared to console sales... wonder why>??? suicidal.gif suicidal.gif

easy, do the sums, it's because piracy on pc is tons easier than on console. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

now for all the people who say gta iv is buggy and crap, let me ask you this.. why did so many people "get" (won't say bought here wink.gif wink.gif ) gta iv if it's so crap?? answer... because it's not crap... sure it's not perfect but it blows away most other games out there hands down.. so the poor sales are completely illogical..

those who say the game isnt optimizd should look at what the damn game is doing, tons of stuff going on in teh world, its not just the graphics but the ai and stuff... can't compare that to cod4 or some other scripted liniear crap then say "OMG gta iv should run on my POS system!!"

oh and as for securom scaring away customers.. look at spore,,, it still is one of the biggest selling pc games of 2008 despite all the securom scare tactics by pirates.

so pc gamers killed gta iv, not the other way around rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Drunk Russian 9
  • Drunk Russian 9

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:07 AM

Do you have double smilie syndrome or something? Its annoying.

People bought GTA IV because they are fans of GTA. Others pirated it because there was no demo, and they had no way of knowing whether all the problems they've heard of apply to them. A demo could have eliminated atleast 20% of the pirates; after all, the mindset of the normal pirate is "try before you buy" . . . illegal or not.

And this "so many people" crap, where did you get your numbers from mate? Because the last I checked the title says "gta iv pc poor sales".

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:47 AM

I like double smilies turn.gif wink.gif

If my numbers are crap, where did you get yours... 20% more people would have bought it if there was a demo?? LOL no way to know if any more people would have bought it since they could have used the demo to see if it was worth warezing instead!!

Look the numbers on torrents show very clearly this game is hugely pirated... and by an amazing coincidence it also has terrible sales... wow let's slowdown and work it out... dozingoff.gif

look at the sales of other pc games too, they're all down the toilet... so either they must all absolute crap, or piracy is burying pc gaming.. agian i let you do the math on this one..

of course everyone will say it's everything but piracy to blame, but really, how come pc gaming has suddenly gone down the tubes..... yet people pirating these games insist the games are crap... why pirate a crap game to begin with?? doesn't make any sense LOL!!

excuses excuses... we all know why gta iv sales are low, you can pretend it's something else but we all know exactly why...

Drunk Russian 9
  • Drunk Russian 9

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:56 AM

One: Steam on Piracy.
Two: Piracy and the right to a demo
Three: 10 ways to fight piracy

I'm not the first to think this one up. Sure, my numbers may be an estimate, but yours contradict the whole point of this thread.

We've heard that tune already. However, I beg to differ with your "PC game sales are down the toilet" guess. Infact, as CC posted, PC actually surpassed both 360 and PS3 sales this year in EA's games.

Once again, making crappy ports is inexcusable. Especially for a triple A title. Low sales were inevitable.

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:12 AM Edited by aJackson, 04 September 2009 - 06:16 AM.

Let's play the link game!! happy.gif happy.gif

PC game piracy examined with some facts and stats not just made up BS: http://www.tweakguid...m/Piracy_1.html

Starcraft II delayed because of piracy: http://pc-mmo.nowgam...ayed-until-2010

Do a torrent search for Batman arkham asylum.... a game which had a full demo released with much hype,,, and everyone said they love, runs on low spec pcs,,, but is already being pirated rampantly on PC almost four times as much as consoles... and the PC version was just leaked yesterday!!!

user posted image

i love it LOL lol.gif lol.gif Batman hasn't even been out a day and people are warezing the crap out of it... had a full demo too, so it's not beacuse they want to try before they buy...

but ya, LOL, keep pulling out the excuses...

PC games are dying because people are pirating not buying them, wink.gif wink.gif

the reason we get crappy console ports is because of this.. companis wont invest squat into something which gets warezed to oblivion!! blame the pirates, blame their greed...

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:11 AM Edited by Street Mix, 04 September 2009 - 08:16 AM.

Probably D2D serious mistake as you can see. But it's only 1 game among hundreds. On 360 you can play games before the release and you don't need to wait for proper cracks etc. You can't find news bout 360 piracy simply cause M$ doesn't want you to know the truth.

Starcraft II delayed because of piracy: http://pc-mmo.nowgam...ayed-until-2010

OMG LMAO. Piracy will disappear in 2010 or what? Blizzard delayed SCII because they want to make the game better without bugs. They don't care about piracy at all cause like Charlie said, sales of their games are huge.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (aJackson @ Sep 4 2009, 16:12)
the reason we get crappy console ports is because of this.. companis wont invest squat into something which gets warezed to oblivion!! blame the pirates, blame their greed...

Yes...companies won't "invest" (bribe for release "exclusivity") for the PC in the same way that Sony (and now Microsoft) do for consoles.

It's only companies like Rockstar who will sacrifice the quality of their games (by developing them for console) all for a few financial bonuses from two of Earth's biggest f*ckwit companies. Proper game developers rely solely on game sales and maintaining a loyal fanbase to earn their income...not Rockstar...at Rockstar, they prefer to whore off the GTA franchise to whoever's willing to pay, and drip-feed their fans until they eventually kill off the series.

StoProGratis
  • StoProGratis

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (aJackson @ Sep 4 2009, 06:12)

PC games are dying because people are pirating not buying them, wink.gif wink.gif

Actually it have 18% of growth year by year so it's far away from "dying".

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

Weak PC sales? Check this out http://www.dailytech...rticle16159.htm

I wonder if they calculate every console that breaks down into the sales figures.

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

Sorry but, PC gaming is failing in Australia. You walk into EB games or the games section and you see probably 90% console titles, and the rest, old, educational, and no one wants games. And don't point to Steam since here we have capped downloads so we can't just download a huge game like GTA 4 or any other modern game, when ever we like.

aJackson
  • aJackson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:07 AM Edited by aJackson, 04 September 2009 - 10:10 AM.

PC gaming **is** dying!! increase in sales of world of warcraft and mmos is what makes up most of the dollars now...

someone name me one good pc game which had great sales in the last year?? just one!! can't?

best sales came from games like sims 3 and spore, and everyone knows they are pretty sucky games with DRM, so there goes that theory!! lol.gif lol.gif

funny how it's all about conspiarcy theories and M$ this and companies that... instead of just looking at the obvious fault in front of our eyes --- PIRACY!! ohh noooo, it can't be piracy, it must be M$ conspiracy...

sure, like M$ and other companies hate making money on pc, they decided they just want to make money off consoles for some special reason... cool.gif

nope, reason is piracy is harder to do on consoles,,, console users less likely to know how,,, so they make games for consoles now. WHat a surprise!! like i say, look at batman... a good game with a demo, still pirated up the ying yang, so there goes that excuse about people only pirating crappy games, or games with no demos, or games whcih arent optimized,... WHATEVA!

anyway no point arguing this,, people obviously don't like truth they like faerytales about how its always someonme elses fault but theirs... don't be surprised as we get more and more crappy console ports or even worse no PC version at all...

kthxbye!! whatsthat.gif whatsthat.gif

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:16 AM Edited by DML, 04 September 2009 - 10:19 AM.

QUOTE (aJackson @ Sep 4 2009, 20:07)
funny how it's all about conspiarcy theories and M$ this and companies that...

As far as GTA goes (since GTA III), they are not conspiracy theories...my chummy little peanut. It's a cold hard fact that Sony's been paying to have GTA III, Vice City and San Adreas on their sh*t platform, 6 months before any other platform. And now Microsoft has joined with GTA IV.

Piracy is just a fanboy's excuse, and had nothing to do with Rockstar not being able to get GTA to sell well on the PC.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ Sep 3 2009, 17:00)
the general consensus being if I can get the original this cheap why bother downloading or buying an illegal copy? Mind you, illegitimate copies sell for Rs.150-200 around here.

I wish it was like this in my country. Alas, there isn't a billion of us biggrin.gif

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (aJackson @ Sep 4 2009, 10:07)
PC gaming **is** dying!! increase in sales of world of warcraft and mmos is what makes up most of the dollars now...

someone name me one good pc game which had great sales in the last year?? just one!! can't?

best sales came from games like sims 3 and spore, and everyone knows they are pretty sucky games with DRM, so there goes that theory!! lol.gif lol.gif

funny how it's all about conspiarcy theories and M$ this and companies that... instead of just looking at the obvious fault in front of our eyes --- PIRACY!! ohh noooo, it can't be piracy, it must be M$ conspiracy...

sure, like M$ and other companies hate making money on pc, they decided they just want to make money off consoles for some special reason... cool.gif

nope, reason is piracy is harder to do on consoles,,, console users less likely to know how,,, so they make games for consoles now. WHat a surprise!! like i say, look at batman... a good game with a demo, still pirated up the ying yang, so there goes that excuse about people only pirating crappy games, or games with no demos, or games whcih arent optimized,... WHATEVA!

anyway no point arguing this,, people obviously don't like truth they like faerytales about how its always someonme elses fault but theirs... don't be surprised as we get more and more crappy console ports or even worse no PC version at all...

Right, PC gaming is dying, that's why console companies like Capcom start developing for PC more. rolleyes.gif

Street Figher IV PC sales satisfactory

Capcom working on unannounced PC-lead games

flameweilder
  • flameweilder

Rationalist

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Like several people have posted in links prior to my post, piracy has a minimal impact on the sales of a game. A vast majority of people who pirate games would not buy them otherwise. They either pirate it, or don't buy it. Either way, company that made the game isn't making any money. For example, I have a friend who COULD buy every game that comes out, but he only buys the good ones and pirates the ones that he wouldn't buy anyway, just because he has nothing better to do.

As for Batman, that's a game that deserves all of its customers, but in all honesty if the people who pirated had a choice of either buying it or not playing it at all, the majority of them wouldn't buy it.

Therefore, the reason why companies don't make much money off of the PC versions of games is not because their games are pirated (as these people wouldn't buy their games anyway even if they didn't pirate), but because gamers aren't given a good enough reason to buy their games.

Also, PC gaming is NOT dying. The reason that there are few PC games on the shelves when compared to console games is that PC's don't have a major worldwide corporation supporting their back. If all PC's were made by a company as strong and influential as Microsoft, then PC's would get a LOT more games not only on their shelves, but before any other platform.

maz89
  • maz89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (flameweilder @ Sep 4 2009, 15:51)
Like several people have posted in links prior to my post, piracy has a minimal impact on the sales of a game. A vast majority of people who pirate games would not buy them otherwise. They either pirate it, or don't buy it. Either way, company that made the game isn't making any money. For example, I have a friend who COULD buy every game that comes out, but he only buys the good ones and pirates the ones that he wouldn't buy anyway, just because he has nothing better to do.

As for Batman, that's a game that deserves all of its customers, but in all honesty if the people who pirated had a choice of either buying it or not playing it at all, the majority of them wouldn't buy it.

Therefore, the reason why companies don't make much money off of the PC versions of games is not because their games are pirated (as these people wouldn't buy their games anyway even if they didn't pirate), but because gamers aren't given a good enough reason to buy their games.

Also, PC gaming is NOT dying. The reason that there are few PC games on the shelves when compared to console games is that PC's don't have a major worldwide corporation supporting their back. If all PC's were made by a company as strong and influential as Microsoft, then PC's would get a LOT more games not only on their shelves, but before any other platform.

Well-said.

People naturally assume that just because GTA IV didn't sell well,(1) it *must* be due to piracy and (2) the end of PC gaming approacheth. All BS.

StoProGratis
  • StoProGratis

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

I feel sorry for you.

PC is not only MMOS you pathetic mess, EA have no MMO tiltes (Spore isn;t MMO really) and in some financial quarters PC profits more than Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii. So stop your stupid trolling with your simple minds taken from fanboys forums or from news where publishers yelling about piracy. Face the fact that PC gaming is growing.

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:53 AM

It's dying for me. At Myer there are 0 PC games, at Big W virtually no shelf space is given to PC games. If that's not dying then what is?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users