Photo

Rockstar files are read from HDD on every boot

33 replies to this topic
dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

i don't know if anyone have noticed this or if this is normal or whatever but everytime istart up my computer, i notice how the hdd is working on 100%. i check the resource monitor and it turns out pretty much all gta files from the rockstar games/grand theft auto iv/pc folder are being read by svchost at an avarage of 5mb/sec and this goes on forever.

what is this?

it makes me not want to start up the game cause it'll slow everything down.

5m0k3y
  • 5m0k3y

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Probably something to do with their spyware....erm... I mean DRM.

neildittmar
  • neildittmar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

That's abnormal behavior to be sure. On what OS are you seeing this?

I have the game running on Vista Home Premium 32-bit and have never seen behavior like that, in GTA4 or any game. I highly doubt it's DRM related as svchost is just a generic name for a group of processes bundled together within Windows. If you run ProcessExplorer (Google it) it should let you "break down" the svchost process in question so you can see which particular Windows service is scanning through the GTA4 files.

Could be anti-virus, could be a spyware/malware detector, could be some type of search indexing software. ProcessExplorer should at least tell you precisely what's going on.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Do you have the Social Club app running at startup?

Pixelated
  • Pixelated

Playa

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Dec 22 2008, 20:42)

That's it exactly.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Dec 22 2008, 20:42)

yes i do. that's what's causing it?

i don't follow.

i might install process explorer and check it out.

by the way, running windows vista ultimate, 64-bit.

Lord Illicious
  • Lord Illicious

S H A O L I N NYC

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

To disable RS social club app from running at startup unless you run it yourself, go to start and type "msconfig" in Start Search.

System Configuration >> Startup tab>> uncheck "Rockstar Games Social Club" >> apply and restart if ya want.

There ya go. Just run RS social club app when ya want to play.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (Lord Illicious @ Dec 23 2008, 01:28)
To disable RS social club app from running at startup unless you run it yourself, go to start and type "msconfig" in Start Search.

System Configuration >> Startup tab>> uncheck "Rockstar Games Social Club" >> apply and restart if ya want.

There ya go. Just run RS social club app when ya want to play.

yeah man i know how to configure start up processes smile.gif thanks though..

still wondering why rockstar social club would be doing all this processing!

neildittmar
  • neildittmar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Alternatively, the Rockstar Social Club app allows you to disable the process from running when Windows boots without going through msconfig. Simply right click the icon in the task tray and untick the option for it to start when Windows does. You can then exit the Social Club and you won't have to worry about it starting unless you want to play GTAIV. Done :-)

Either way will work, but going directly through the app will prevent the prompt for a reboot and the message about system configuration changes that appears when you do. It will also get rid of the entry from your registry, as opposed to having an unticked one in there if you do it via msconfig.

null_
  • null_

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

You f*cking idiots he does not want to disable the startup he wants to know why so spare your smartass computer technician comments to yourself. Sometimes I wonder people on a FORUM read THREADS or POSTS before posting their bullsh*t. This is not your BLOG.

DXWarlock
  • DXWarlock

Forum Prowler

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (null_ @ Dec 22 2008, 21:24)
You f*cking idiots he does not want to disable the startup he wants to know why so spare your smartass computer technician comments to yourself. Sometimes I wonder people on a FORUM read THREADS or POSTS before posting their bullsh*t. This is not your BLOG.

in turn lets put it in terms you can understand:
"You f*cking idiot RSSC starts with the computer and does its filelist.pak crc check, so thats WHY, to stop it disable RSSC."

that make more sense to you?
yes god forbid people post "computer technician comments" in a post related to computer techinical problems.

that is if you consider msconfig a "computer technician" level item. next thing you know well be telling people to "double click" something and him ranting on about using "computer technician terms"

Lord Illicious
  • Lord Illicious

S H A O L I N NYC

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 23 2008, 02:14)

yeah man i know how to configure start up processes smile.gif thanks though..

still wondering why rockstar social club would be doing all this processing!

Thought ya meant how to disable it.

Though i realized this myself few hours after i installed the game.

My PC use to start up full with no more loading under 1 minute and now it takes at least 3 minutes for all the stuff to load up.

Everything is a heavy load with this game.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

haha. don't flame null_. even though he went kind of heavy on the insults he still got it right and i thought it was funny as hell since i was thinking the same thing. smile.gif

anyway, i appreciate everyone's help. but yeah what i really wanted to know, like null_ pointed out, was why all this crap was being processed by svchost. but now i've learned it's something rssc does and supposedly it's something that it does for everyone on every first run of rssc on every new boot. or something along those lines.

thank you.

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:50 AM

user posted image

kbps
  • kbps

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

I noticed, sometimes RGSC.exe process when it's "Idle" smile.gif - is doing some work on HDD.
I hear it and I been seen in taskmgr RGSC.exe takes from 12 to 38 CPU load.

I guess it may cause lags when you playing....

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (kbps @ Dec 23 2008, 09:48)
I noticed, sometimes RGSC.exe process when it's "Idle" smile.gif - is doing some work on HDD.

lags? gta iv pc?

kbps
  • kbps

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 23 2008, 09:59)

lags? gta iv pc?

I mean stuttering.
PC.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (kbps @ Dec 23 2008, 10:38)
QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 23 2008, 09:59)

lags? gta iv pc?

I mean stuttering.
PC.

yeah i was just being sarcastic smile.gif

interesting thought though and i wouldn't be surprised at all if that does cause some sort of performance loss.

Irrati0nal
  • Irrati0nal

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (TruXter @ Dec 23 2008, 05:50)
user posted image

WHATS WITH ALL THE GAY BRACELETS IN YOUR PHOTOBUCKET SEAN

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

neildittmar
  • neildittmar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 23 2008, 05:47)
haha. don't flame null_. even though he went kind of heavy on the insults he still got it right and i thought it was funny as hell since i was thinking the same thing. smile.gif

So you post an issue on the forums, others try to help you resolve it. Somebody starts ranting and cursing at people regarding this completely logical exchange, and you as the OP agree with him?

Ok, given the context of your first post I thought you wanted help. That was clearly my mistake :-/ Sarcasm aside, this nonsense seems to be par for the course around here... try to conversate with someone or Lord forbid *help* somebody with an issue and get cursed at, flamed, etc. for your efforts.

I'll never understand why people insist on chasing away the folks who are legitimately trying to help them get through their issues. Is it more fun to complain about the situation as opposed to (hopefully) resolving the problem? Was this post made simply to add to the "OMG TEH ROKCSTAR SUKCS!!1" bashfest currently going on? If so, continue to feel free.

As for me, my game has worked fine since day one. Much like other game forums, I posted here mostly in an effort to help people with their issues. Generally speaking, it seems that's not what is desired. Fair enough... I can assure you it won't happen again.

null_
  • null_

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (neildittmar @ Dec 23 2008, 14:55)

So you post an issue on the forums, others try to help you resolve it. Somebody starts ranting and cursing at people regarding this completely logical exchange, and you as the OP agree with him?

Ok, given the context of your first post I thought you wanted help. That was clearly my mistake :-/ Sarcasm aside, this nonsense seems to be par for the course around here... try to conversate with someone or Lord forbid *help* somebody with an issue and get cursed at, flamed, etc. for your efforts.

I'll never understand why people insist on chasing away the folks who are legitimately trying to help them get through their issues. Is it more fun to complain about the situation as opposed to (hopefully) resolving the problem? Was this post made simply to add to the "OMG TEH ROKCSTAR SUKCS!!1" bashfest currently going on? If so, continue to feel free.

As for me, my game has worked fine since day one. Much like other game forums, I posted here mostly in an effort to help people with their issues. Generally speaking, it seems that's not what is desired. Fair enough... I can assure you it won't happen again.

You are my friend. Dr.whiz is your friend. We are all friends.

bbq.gif

Splattel
  • Splattel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Svchost.exe loading game files at bootup? Simple - Superfetch.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (neildittmar @ Dec 23 2008, 14:55)

lol.

i thought my post made it very clear i appreciated everyone's help. if you read my earlier posts again, you will also see that both you and the other guy misunderstood what i was asking, which made it funny when null came in and pointed that out. i'm sure he expressed himself the way he did because it was kind of funny and weird how two people could misunderstand what i was asking so heavily.

anyway, have a good day and chill out.

IveSearched
  • IveSearched

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

Right click on the tray icon , and disable social club at windows startup.

Is there a way pass this app by the way? It provides no use to me, other than displaying ads and taking resources.

Pixelated
  • Pixelated

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:58 AM

RGSC is coded in .Net Framework which is known to use a lot of CPU cycles.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:02 AM Edited by dr.whiz, 24 December 2008 - 08:05 AM.

QUOTE (IveSearched @ Dec 24 2008, 05:32)

Is there a way pass this app by the way? It provides no use to me, other than displaying ads and taking resources.

ANOTHER one of these "how to disable rockstar social club at start up" tips?

this makes me curios, what made people believe i was asking how to disable a start up process? i never asked such thing. i was simply asking what was going on with processing all these gta files at start up.

this stuff makes me side even more with _null, starting to think people don't read the posts and just rush to give some basic technical advice. some of the responses in this thread reminds me of official support replies you would get.

so once again, i know how to disable start up processes. i work with computers all day being a software engineer. was simply curious as to why the rockstar files were being processed. since i don't know too much about computer games, i didn't realize this was something considered normal.

IveSearched
  • IveSearched

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 24 2008, 08:02)
QUOTE (IveSearched @ Dec 24 2008, 05:32)

ANOTHER one of these "how to disable rockstar social club at start up" tips?

this makes me curios, what made people believe i was asking how to disable a start up process? i never asked such thing. i was simply asking what was going on with processing all these gta files at start up.

this stuff makes me side even more with _null, starting to think people don't read the posts and just rush to give some basic technical advice. some of the responses in this thread reminds me of official support replies you would get.

so once again, i know how to disable start up processes. i work with computers all day being a software engineer. was simply curious as to why the rockstar files were being processed. since i don't know too much about computer games, i didn't realize this was something considered normal.

Because probably you made it sound like you didnt know how to disable that hdd access yourself. As to your real question then, i have no clue.

Barebones
  • Barebones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (null_ @ Dec 23 2008, 02:24)

lol.. "computer technician comments" funny stuff right there, what a dumbass.

What did you add to this thread exactly? Other than sound off as though it was your blog.

Barebones
  • Barebones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 24 2008, 08:02)
was simply curious as to why the rockstar files were being processed. since i don't know too much about computer games, i didn't realize this was something considered normal.

It isn't normal. It might be for this game in particular but it is far from normal in the industry. You'll never get an answer to "why" here though. It is complete BS in my mind but you're not going to get what you're looking for in a thread on these forums.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

Even though Null_ might not added much to the thread, one thing's for sure, disabling Rockstar Social club is not the solution to svchost processing the GTAIV files.
Also this applications doesn't do any checking against filelist.pack or other similar nonsense.

OP try to follow the advice of one of the first comments on your post, the one that suggested you use process explorer to find out which svchost process is causing this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users