» «
Photo

Set CPU Priority Permanently

18 replies to this topic
ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:10 AM Edited by ObsessedWithGTA4, 21 December 2008 - 05:41 PM.

First off, thanks to Soossie for showing me this program.

If you would like to set GTA IV PC to have dedicated HIGH CPU Priority which can increase performance please do the following 12 steps listed below.

Please understand that this is a very simple setup and WILL NOT harm your system. If you should have any problems just uninstall the program and you will be back to default settings. I believe giving HIGH CPU Priority to GTA IV PC will increase performance especially for Dual Core CPU's and systems that are not configured by advanced users.

Download Process Tamer - http://www.donationc...amer/index.html

1. Install Process Tamer
2. Load Process Tamer
3. Go to Configuration and ENABLE "Start with Windows".
4. Go to Configuration and DISABLE "Tame applications based on CPU Usage".
5. Load GTA IV PC
6. After the game has loaded and is at the Main Menu press ALT+TAB minimizing the game.
7. Load up Process Tamer (There will be a icon near your clock)

8. You will now see a few things in the Processes section of Process Tamer.

GTAIV.exe
gta4Browser.exe
RSC.exe

Under the Priority section set GTAIV.exe to HIGH
Under the Explicit Rule set GTAIV.exe to FORCE HIGH

I also set gta4Browser.exe to the same settings as GTAIV.exe but it's probably not necessary.

9. Close the game and restart it. After the game has loaded to the Main Menu for the second time, ALT+TAB again.
10. At Windows desktop, right click on your start bar and select "Task Manager".
11. In the Windows Task Manager click on the Processes tab.
12. Locate GTAIV.exe and right click on it and select "Set Priority", it should now say HIGH.

Your all done. GTA IV PC will now have HIGH dedicated CPU Priority. If you should have any questions or need help you can post in here or PM me.

StingRhea
  • StingRhea

I hate Ikonboard ERRORS

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

just press crtl+alt+del for task manager, den find the application process, right click and set priority to real time and affinity to maybe 3 or 4 cores (depending how many u have).

babarian225
  • babarian225

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

just press crtl+alt+del for task manager, den find the application process, right click and set priority to real time and affinity to maybe 3 or 4 cores (depending how many u have).

lol.gif happy.gif

simple

Graffix.
  • Graffix.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Is there any benefits to setting you CPU priority permanently to real time as im my FSP is doing around 20fsp to 22fsp on a 8800GTX 768mb

PestilenceJM
  • PestilenceJM

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Graffix. @ Dec 21 2008, 09:07)
Is there any benefits to setting you CPU priority permanently to real time as im my FSP is doing around 20fsp to 22fsp on a 8800GTX 768mb

I guess you could give it a try. Ill do so aswell.

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Easiest way would be :

1- Create a shortcut in your desktop to GTAIV.exe

2- Use as target of the shortcut (adjust it to your PC) ---> C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV.exe"

3- Start game using your new shortcut.

Then everytime you start GTA IV, priority will be set to high.

biggrin.gif

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:55 PM Edited by ObsessedWithGTA4, 21 December 2008 - 02:02 PM.

Doesn't work. The game still loads with Normal priority. I am running Vista x64 and no go. Any ideas?

Its working just like my first method I listed. The app.bat file. If SC isn't loaded the game and SC will load, no priority. If SC is loaded then the game wont load at all.

Any idea?

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Dec 21 2008, 13:55)
Doesn't work. The game still loads with Normal priority.

Its working fine here, dont run Rockstar Games Social Club (close it if its open), just double click the GTAIV shortcut at your desktop.

Lutra78
  • Lutra78

MGMT

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Graffix. @ Dec 21 2008, 09:07)

Only if you burn a DVD or watch onlinestreams in the background. wink.gif

If every unecessary programm is closed - and that's what it should be playing ANY game - then it makes no sense to set the priority to high.

xithilinx
  • xithilinx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Dec 21 2008, 07:10)
So I want to set the CPU priority permanently for GTA IV PC. Here is what I did to attempt this...

I made a app.bat file, and inside it I put

cmd /c start /high GTAIV.exe

then I placed the app.bat file into the GRA IV main directory then made a shortcut to app.bat on my desktop. So when I ldouble click app.bat it should oad the game with HIGH cpu priority.

However, because of Rockstar Social Club this does not work. It won't load the game unless... I close Social Club, start the app.bat it will load social club and start the game but the game does not have HIGH cpu priority. If anyone (R* Support) can tell me a work around I would appreciate it. I notice better performance with HIGH cpu priority. Also thinking about giving the game affinity. I think I read the game is 3 threads so dedicating cores 123 for GTA IV and have core 0 for Windows. But priority is more important right now.

Thanks

I quote from another thread on this forum from a member name GarryGanja

"Downloaded X-Setup-9.1.100 and in there is the option to get 'START HIGH PRIORITY"in the right mouse button menu."

Supposedly it works.. go ahead and try it out.

vurt
  • vurt

GTA III RAGE

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (xithilinx @ Dec 21 2008, 15:30)

"Downloaded X-Setup-9.1.100 and in there is the option to get 'START HIGH PRIORITY"in the right mouse button menu."

Tested. Tried with Gothic3 and it worked, tried with GTAIV.exe, did not work.. it's probably because launching GTAIV.exe won't actualy launch the game, it'll just launch Social Club.

But this can at least be handy with some games smile.gif but not GTAIV unfortunately.

xithilinx
  • xithilinx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (vurt @ Dec 21 2008, 15:43)
So I want to set the CPU priority permanently for GTA IV PC. Here is what I did to attempt this...

then I placed the app.bat file into the GRA IV main directory then made a shortcut to app.bat on my desktop. So when I ldouble click app.bat it should oad the game with HIGH cpu priority.

However, because of Rockstar Social Club this does not work. It won't load the game unless... I close Social Club, start the app.bat it will load social club and start the game but the game does not have HIGH cpu priority. If anyone (R* Support) can tell me a work around I would appreciate it. I notice better performance with HIGH cpu priority. Also thinking about giving the game affinity. I think I read the game is 3 threads so dedicating cores 123 for GTA IV and have core 0 for Windows. But priority is more important right now.

Thanks

Tested. Tried with Gothic3 and it worked, tried with GTAIV.exe, did not work.. it's probably because launching GTAIV.exe won't actualy launch the game, it'll just launch Social Club.

Hmm.. I believe I've also heard that by creating a TXT file called commandline in your GTAIV folder and putting /high into it is supposed to work as well.

GarryGanja
  • GarryGanja

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks

Yeah GarryGanja in person here.........

I thought i finally got it.....But because the thing what starts up then in high priority is the LaunchGTAIV.exe and not the actual game.If you check in the Taskmanager there is a LaunchGTAIV.exe and a GTAIV.exe and the last one is the one thats needs high priority.
You can't set that in a commandline or trough the rightmousebutton option as i said before....SORRY but the option stil comes in handy for other programs and games.
For gta you realy need to bring up taskmanager and set GTAIV.EXE to high priority or realtime.

But i heard real time can hurt your system so i don't know maybe better high

greetings Ton aka GarryGanja

qwertz123
  • qwertz123

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (vurt @ Dec 21 2008, 15:43)

But this can at least be handy with some games smile.gif but not GTAIV unfortunately.

this game has so many instances to go through,,,,mabye jesus can help you outta here....

honestly, you make a fart in the wind, thats all it is.

Soossie
  • Soossie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Google it...

http://www.donationc...sTamerSetup.exe

Download, install, start GTA IV, press ctrl + alt + del and go to processes, put both gta iv processes to high priority and go "Explicit Rule" and put "Force High" and play. wink.gif

qwertz123
  • qwertz123

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

and then?

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:29 PM Edited by ObsessedWithGTA4, 21 December 2008 - 05:41 PM.

EDIT: SEE FIRST POST

xxRAINBOXEDxx
  • xxRAINBOXEDxx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

uh, not a noob incase you are wondering but, how do you download this thing from this site, wher is the download button?

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

The links work for me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users