» «
Photo

[Q] Separating blur from DOF?!?

91 replies to this topic
klanly
  • klanly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:57 AM Edited by klanly, 18 January 2009 - 09:00 AM.

@belinda
nice discovery. biggrin.gif
exactly they are float32 numbers(-0.5(000000bf), -1.5(0000c0bf), 1.5, 0.5).
So this -0.5 may be the fullscreen blur param then..

Markonious
  • Markonious

GTA addict

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:37 PM Edited by Markonious, 18 January 2009 - 04:33 PM.

Great team work guys!!! THX! icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif
Now there's one more thing...u too probably have that dashboard camera installed as well and it's great, BUT when u turn on the motion blur,for almost all cars i think,it's blurorama(cuz of the camera position probably which is further back than the bonnet)!
motorcycles r great(camera in the same position I think)! So , the question is, is it possible to have the same amount of blur(like bikes) in the cars,that would be awsome!!!(and that was my final goal with all this smile.gif )
Lots of cookies to finder! alien.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif
What do u think? cool.gif
p.s. (dashboard camera)And that dynamic amount of FOV(field of view) that increases with speed...is it possible to lock it at it's highest value(like when going fast)permanently??? notify.gif It would make even slower speeds seem faster and u get a wider view so it's also better for turning in corners(visibility)! Additional cookies for that too!!! colgate.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hey Guys! Great work. I have a question, can I include your shader to my motion blur tweak? I made a modification once which added some extra motion blur but people were asking how to leave motion blur and get rid of static blur and DOF. Now I checked my tweak with your shaders and it's just goergous and crysis-like. Can I share your tweak?

High
  • High

Peon

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

thx belinda. klanly just forgot the word "and" so i got edgy...

thx for the info, code is perfected now. great work everyone.

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:22 PM Edited by belinda, 19 January 2009 - 02:00 PM.

@ all
sorry ppl, i was a bit too fast this time. it's still some blur left:

- - - - P not pressed - - - - - - - - - P pressed - - - - -
user posted image user posted image

it's very subtle and only visible on edges of far away geometry (look at the bridges). almost perfect tounge2.gif but definitely good enough for me. now i have to find a way to get two things done, maybe bartekxyz can help me out with this:

first, i want the same motion blur i get on foot (when moving the mouse fast left or right) to be applied to camera movements while in a vehicle standing still.
second, i want the "drive-fast" motion blur to seemlessly increase from 0mph or 10mph to maximum speed. by default there is no motion blur until you reach a certain minimum speed (which is quite high if you ask me), then it kicks in and gets more intense by further speed increases.

@ bartekxyz
information is free, do whatever you like with it. but don't forget to credit klanly for his discovery. and do you think your blur enhancements will help me with my two wishes? i don't want a complete blur overhaul, only the changes mentioned above. i messed around with some cam.followped... and cam.followvehicle... values in visualsettings.dat but no success.

@ Markonious
sorry, i'm not using the dashboard camera mod, i drive with the camera as far away from the vehicle as possible for increased overview. maybe bartekxyz knows the correct values for this, i guess its one or more of the cam.followvehicle... values in visualsettings.dat. and i don't know where the fov changes are defined, sorry.

@ klanly
this blur effect becomes more and more complicated. maybe the fourth value (def c4, -0.5, -1.5, 1.5, 0.5) has to be NULLed too. i don't have time to play around with that the next few days, maybe you can shed a bit more light on it. btw, have you played around with other positive or negative values so far? this could help guessing which value is used for what component of the shader effect.

EXTACY
  • EXTACY

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

klanly you are the MAN! biggrin.gif
Now that stupid "waterpaint" effects are gone....

Do you know how to turn it on permanently? I love motion blur... biggrin.gif

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:04 AM Edited by bartekxyz, 19 January 2009 - 10:20 AM.

QUOTE (belinda @ Jan 19 2009, 01:22)
@ all
sorry ppl, i was a bit too fast this time. it's still some blur left:

- - - - P not pressed - - - - - - - - - P pressed - - - - -

it's very subtle and only visible on edges of far away geometry (look at the bridges). almost perfect tounge2.gif but definitely good enough for me. now i have to find a way to get two things done, maybe bartekxyz can help me out with this:

first, i want the same motion blur i get on foot (when moving the mouse fast left or right) to be applied to camera movements while in a car. there is no camera motion blur when i'm in a vehicle, only the motion blur when driving fast.
second, i want the "drive-fast" motion blur to seemlessly increase from 0mph or 10mph to maximum speed. by default there is no motion blur until you reach a certain minimum speed (which is quite high if you ask me), then it kicks in and gets more intense by further speed increases.

@ bartekxyz
information is free, do whatever you like with it. but don't forget to credit klanly for his discovery. and do you think your blur enhancements will help me with my two wishes? i don't want a complete blur overhaul, only the changes mentioned above. i messed around with some cam.followped... and cam.followvehicle... values in visualsettings.dat but no success.

@ Markonious
sorry, i'm not using the dashboard camera mod, i drive with the camera as far away from the vehicle as possible for increased overview. maybe bartekxyz knows the correct values for this, i guess its one or more of the cam.followvehicle... values in visualsettings.dat. and i don't know where the fov changes are defined, sorry.

@ klanly
this blur effect becomes more and more complicated. maybe the fourth value (def c4, -0.5, -1.5, 1.5, 0.5) has to be NULLed too. i don't have time to play around with that the next few days, maybe you can shed a bit more light on it. btw, have you played around with other positive or negative values so far? this could help guessing which value is used for what component of the shader effect.. Klanly

TWEAK

Updated tweak, now edges are sharp and blur is nice. Something you want:)

Clanly, you are teh winrar:) I credited you in my topic:) Great job cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

klanly
  • klanly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

@bartekxyz
feel free to use it smile.gif

@belinda
I tried to set the latest 0.5 to 0 and the motion blur are gone.. maybe it related to motion blur itself(?).

@EXTACY
maybe impossible smile.gif

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (klanly @ Jan 19 2009, 12:06)
@bartekxyz
feel free to use it smile.gif

@belinda
I tried to set the latest 0.5 to 0 and the motion blur are gone.. maybe it related to motion blur itself(?).

@EXTACY
maybe impossible smile.gif

klanly how does it look like when you get rid of static blur but leave DOF?

klanly
  • klanly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (bartekxyz @ Jan 19 2009, 10:21)

klanly how does it look like when you get rid of static blur but leave DOF?

something like this:
user posted image

the figure(niko) not changed, and further thing(ex. trees) got blur..

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:56 PM Edited by belinda, 19 January 2009 - 02:03 PM.

@ klanly
where is the 0.5 you set to 0, can you give me a hex offset?

@ bartekxyz
thanks, but your tweak is changing to much for my taste. but i found the correct values in visualsettings.dat to reach my goals:

cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.x 25 <--- defines at which speed the motion blur should start
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.y 50.00 <--- defines at which speed the motion blur should reach the defined maximum
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.z 0.00 <--- defines additional motion blur working all the time, regardless of speed
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.w 0.2 <--- defines maximum strength of motion blur

i changed it to:

cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.x 15 <--- lowered so motion blur starts at lower speeds
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.y 80.00 <--- raised so maximum motion blur is not reached so early and by every vehicle
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.z 0.01 <--- set small amount so motion blur is used when moving mouse fast while car is standing still
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.w 0.2 <--- standard maximum strength is ok for me

@ EXTACY
what do you mean by "turn it on permanently"? without pressing P once ingame?

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:19 PM Edited by bartekxyz, 17 April 2009 - 08:49 AM.

moto_whistle.gif

klanly
  • klanly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

@belinda
0x2cff in rage_postfx.fxc..

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

i think i figured it out now. i made 3 different versions so anybody can choose his favourite effect. first, here is a screen with the default rage_postfx.fxc and P not pressed to compare the effect:
user posted image

now the first modification disables all possible depth of field blur, but leaves motion blur intact. there is still a very subtle blur on far away objects and edges of objects against the sky are somehow blurred as well. i think its part of another shader, maybe the hdr-rendering. the screen is made with P pressed:
user posted image download modified rage_postfx.fxc here

the second modification disables the near and medium range depth of field blur, but leaves the far range depth of field blur effect and all motion blur intact. this is the one i'm using right now because it's not blurring near objects and textures at all but has a nice depth of field blur far away. the screen is made with P pressed:

the third modification disables only near range depth of field blur, medium and far range depth of field blur as well as all motion blur is still working. again, the screen is made with P pressed:

the last screen is made again with the default rage_postfx.fxc and P pressed this time to show near, medium and far range depth of field blur in action:
user posted image

@ klanly
thx, already found it and 0ing it disabled all motion blur effects for me as well - not desirable.

@ bartekxyz
sorry mate but you are wrong. lines starting with # are comments and the game is ignoring them. at first i had the same idea with these values indicate the axis their affecting somehow, because the .x, .y and .z are indicating that. but after many tests with different values i am 100% sure my definition is correct. try for yourself, use a default visualsettings.dat file and change cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.x 25 to 0. you will see that the fast-driving-blur now immidiately kicks in when you start driving, not at a certain minimum speed.

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (belinda @ Jan 19 2009, 18:57)
@ bartekxyz
sorry mate but you are wrong. lines starting with # are comments and the game is ignoring them. at first i had the same idea with these values indicate the axis their affecting somehow, because the .x, .y and .z are indicating that. but after many tests with different values i am 100% sure my definition is correct. try for yourself, use a default visualsettings.dat file and change cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.x 25 to 0. you will see that the fast-driving-blur now immidiately kicks in when you start driving, not at a certain minimum speed.

It's strange because I was able to make axis dependent blur...also modifying lines with hash made a difference...i tried it many times and it worked for me...

Markonious
  • Markonious

GTA addict

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:30 PM Edited by Markonious, 19 January 2009 - 06:45 PM.

I ended up using the same one(only far dof)+those visualsettings like you Belinda. smile.gif
Nice discovery! cookie.gif
p.s. I only wish my resolution(1280x800) and framerates(around 30 outside) could be higher...(not to mention lack of AA)
Just installed again Test Drive Unlimited to show off a bit(to myself wink.gif )...I know it's not a new game or GTA quality but it looks really fine with all the settings maxed @1600x1024+4AA and at flawless 80fps! ...it's really hard getting used to GTA's jerkiness after that... sad.gif
btw. rig:[email protected],4GB,gtx260(zotac amp2(OCed 216))...still hoping for some magical performance boost from next drivers or a new patch maybe... confused.gif

EXTACY
  • EXTACY

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:06 AM Edited by EXTACY, 21 January 2009 - 02:21 AM.

@ bartekxyz
I see you have removed shadow jitter effect on your "TWEAK" thread, would you please release a version which also keep the far blur intact? Just like belinda's... thanks biggrin.gif

QUOTE (belinda @ Jan 19 2009, 13:56)
@ EXTACY
what do you mean by "turn it on permanently"? without pressing P once ingame?

Yes, without pressing "p" ingame... but I guess it's already hardcoded somewhere else right? I mean, not related to this post_fx.fxc modification here

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

@ EXTACY
bartekxyz's changes to motion blur are in his visualSettings.dat. you can take any of my rage_postfx.fxc files and combine it with his visualSettings.dat to get your desired dof blur effect. and the "p" thing, maybe you should ask alexander blade if this is possible with a lua script.

@ Markonious
your gtx260 should be able to reach the same fps in higher resolutions too. ever tried your monitors native resolution? i'm playing at 1280x800 with my old ati x1950 pro wink.gif

bartekxyz
  • bartekxyz

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (EXTACY @ Jan 21 2009, 04:06)
@ bartekxyz
I see you have removed shadow jitter effect on your "TWEAK" thread, would you please release a version which also keep the far blur intact? Just like belinda's... thanks biggrin.gif

So you want crispy edges on near objects, soft shadows, depth of field on distance buildings and motion blur, right?

EXTACY
  • EXTACY

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (bartekxyz @ Jan 21 2009, 12:25)
@ bartekxyz

So you want crispy edges on near objects, soft shadows, depth of field on distance buildings and motion blur, right?

Yes smile.gif that'd be lovely inlove.gif

Markonious
  • Markonious

GTA addict

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (belinda @ Jan 21 2009, 11:05)

your gtx260 should be able to reach the same fps in higher resolutions too. ever tried your monitors native resolution? i'm playing at 1280x800 with my old ati x1950 pro wink.gif

But it can't. wink.gif In higher resolutions fps drops below 30 and it dips below 30 sometimes even at this resolution,so I don't want it constantly jerking... btw. I have an 19" CRT monitor so there's no native resolution;) +that's why I still haven't bought an LCD(you have to play it at it's native resolution,otherways it looks crap,but you can't achieve a decent fps at it's native res for most of the latest highend graphic games so...)...I don't care that much about resolution,I'd rather play at this one at 60fps smile.gif than some ultra high resolution at 30fps...you probably agree.... cool.gif

Bersus Diesel
  • Bersus Diesel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

Sorry for a newbie question, but... how can i open rage_postfx.fxc? sarcasm.gif

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:30 PM Edited by belinda, 21 January 2009 - 09:33 PM.

just use any hex editor for that, i used the free hex editor (frhed). its free, open source, lightweight and easy to use. works on xp (and i guess vista too, but haven't tried so far) too, despite the old homepage tells "Frhed is my free binary file editor for Windows 95/98/NT" wink.gif

make a backup of rage_postfx.fxc now, open the file with frhed, press ctrl+g and enter one of these hex offsets:

x2cf6 ---> change bf to 00 to disable near range (fullscreen) blur
x2cf9 ---> change c0 bf to 00 00 to disable medium range depth of field blur
x2cfd ---> change c0 3f to 00 00 to disable far range depth of field blur

now save the file and exit.

Bersus Diesel
  • Bersus Diesel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:10 PM Edited by Bersus Diesel, 21 January 2009 - 10:15 PM.

thanx alot, ur superb+)

but i thought it's the right way to tune dof and blur. cause I didn't find any other way to do this (visualsetting.dat cannot provide tune of the near (fullscreen) blur, it's always the same=(

So I thought that is a way to not only able/disable this feature, but also to tune it as I like.

P.S. Sorry for my english, just hadn't any practice for a long time+) ANd sorry if i've missed smth, just realy bored to read+)))

EXTACY
  • EXTACY

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (EXTACY @ Jan 21 2009, 15:00)
QUOTE (bartekxyz @ Jan 21 2009, 12:25)
@ bartekxyz

Yes smile.gif that'd be lovely inlove.gif

Just got your PM, trying out now... I'll be back with reports biggrin.gif Thanks in advance man
Klanky, Belinda, and you have done great jobs in team!

waverley
  • waverley

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

Jesus, I am so, so satisfied right now.

Haven't played GTA in a little bit, so I updated my drivers and loaded this tweak+mBlur up. Now it runs so smooth, and with that cinematic feel I've wanted since day 1. It's exactly what I've been waiting for over the past month or so- I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for putting the time in guys.

Bersus Diesel
  • Bersus Diesel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

so... can anyone answer my^ question?

belinda
  • belinda

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:59 PM Edited by belinda, 24 January 2009 - 03:13 PM.

@ Bersus Diesel
tweaking the values is not that obvious and easy, since we don't know what they stand for. i already tried changing each value on its own and doing screenshots to manually compare and get some idea how they work and what changes can be made. so i found out that three different ranges of blur are used together:

- there are three different hexadecimal-value-pairs
- first defines near area (fullscreen) blur (00 bf), second mid distance dof blur (c0 bf) and third far distance dof blur (c0 3f)

- the first part of each pair (00 for near, c0 for mid and c0 for far) defines the intensity for the effect somehow
- but those values do not scale from 00 (no effect) to ff (max effect), cause even with 00 the effect is applied but not very intensive
- so you can try to increase or decrease each effect by changing the corresponding values

the following info i'm not sure and just guessing from what i've seen on my screens:

- the second part of each pair defines somehow the way the screen is blurred
- changing it to 00 disables the related effect, but other values i tried (e.g. 55, ff) lead to heavy visual glitches

so if you want to further tweak those effects you have to get some information from r* or find someone who can fully decompile the whole rage_postfx.fxc which seems to be a combination of many unique pixel and vertex shaders with some kind of header on top and maybe even between each shader. then you can try to get behind what is done here exactly. or you can go the hard way (like i did above) and change each value on it's own, start the game, load a save, go to a place where near, mid and far away areas can be seen, make a screen, exit again, make another change, start the game... to be able to compare the screens and find patterns behind your changes. as you can see, it's a real painful and time-consuming task.

darth189
  • darth189

GTA ftw :D

• Members

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (belinda @ Jan 19 2009, 16:57)
i think i figured it out now. i made 3 different versions so anybody can choose his favourite effect. first, here is a screen with the default rage_postfx.fxc and P not pressed to compare the effect:
user posted image

now the first modification disables all possible depth of field blur, but leaves motion blur intact. there is still a very subtle blur on far away objects and edges of objects against the sky are somehow blurred as well. i think its part of another shader, maybe the hdr-rendering. the screen is made with P pressed:

the second modification disables the near and medium range depth of field blur, but leaves the far range depth of field blur effect and all motion blur intact. this is the one i'm using right now because it's not blurring near objects and textures at all but has a nice depth of field blur far away. the screen is made with P pressed:

the third modification disables only near range depth of field blur, medium and far range depth of field blur as well as all motion blur is still working. again, the screen is made with P pressed:

the last screen is made again with the default rage_postfx.fxc and P pressed this time to show near, medium and far range depth of field blur in action:
user posted image

@ klanly
thx, already found it and 0ing it disabled all motion blur effects for me as well - not desirable.

@ bartekxyz

really usefull, thanks biggrin.gif

klemash
  • klemash

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (High @ Sunday, Jan 18 2009, 02:45)
QUOTE (klanly @ Jan 17 2009, 11:21)
if you use nv card 8-series above, put it in common\shaders\win32_30_nv8.
ati card hd 3000 above, put it in win32_30_atidx10...

and nvidia 9 series?
buy r4 card r4 r4 wholesale

A game where you get to fly planes and fight on Playstation 3. That you could have at least 2 or more people playing without internet. What i mean today is that you get to fight with F-22 Raptors and such. Please put the name of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users