Quantcast

» «
Photo

Peds in Car have 30 feet draw distance!

176 replies to this topic
creat3d22
  • creat3d22

Habs fan, for about 2 weeks every year...

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

Sorry I shouldn't have been so lazy... Mod enabler

Make sure you read the instructions, I suggest the easy way tounge.gif

SentOneBoston
  • SentOneBoston

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:23 AM

This happened after the patch, I used to be able to snipe at drivers from the roof at playboys and now I cant.

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:22)
Sorry I shouldn't have been so lazy... Mod enabler

Make sure you read the instructions, I suggest the easy way  tounge.gif

Oh sry, you meant search at the forum biggrin.gif Thx m8

Hehe, don't worry, I'm pretty good with computer sh*t, it's my job smile.gif

iamnotyou
  • iamnotyou

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:30 AM Edited by iamnotyou, 19 December 2008 - 05:33 AM.

Can anyone else who is not patched (I'm sure there are quite a few it seems) confirm that pre-patched GTAIV can do this draw distance like it should? I would actually be jazzed if this was a bug. It gives them a reason to release another patch, which nowadays doesn't always happen. Specially with ports.

EDIT: Another thought, anybody using Nvidia? How about beta drivers? I sure am. MIGHT make a difference. When I am off next, I will take the time to do all the uninstalling/reinstalling it will take to test this stuff. Hope someone who isn't patched can chime in if they still have the correct distance drawing of peds in cars.

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:32 AM Edited by creat3d22, 19 December 2008 - 05:34 AM.

QUOTE (iamnotyou @ Dec 19 2008, 00:30)
Can anyone else who is not patched (I'm sure there are quite a few it seems) confirm that pre-patched GTAIV can do this draw distance like it should?  I would actually be jazzed if this was a bug.  It gives them a reason to release another patch, which nowadays doesn't always happen.  Specially with ports.

Sorry, it's the same pre-patch.

Alucard155: Go ahead and edit anything you want, just make sure you edit the original .dat files and leave the .***.magic files alone. Obviously it's a good idea to backup anything before you edit.

Also, it seems everytime I try to alter visualsettings.dat most of my car and ped traffic is gone confused.gif Other people don't seem to have that problem though so your mileage may vary...

iamnotyou
  • iamnotyou

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

Ok, same pre-patched... So to people who can or USED to be able to do this... are you running ATI or Nvidia?

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

To those who can snipe from further away... what resolution are you running in?
I'm guessing this has more to do with it than GPU type, since the resolution you play in scales a lot of other factors with it as well...

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:32)
QUOTE (iamnotyou @ Dec 19 2008, 00:30)
Can anyone else who is not patched (I'm sure there are quite a few it seems) confirm that pre-patched GTAIV can do this draw distance like it should?  I would actually be jazzed if this was a bug.  It gives them a reason to release another patch, which nowadays doesn't always happen.  Specially with ports.

Sorry, it's the same pre-patch.

Alucard155: Go ahead and edit anything you want, just make sure you edit the original .dat files and leave the .***.magic files alone. Obviously it's a good idea to backup anything before you edit.

Also, it seems everytime I try to alter visualsettings.dat most of my car and ped traffic is gone confused.gif Other people don't seem to have that problem though so your mileage may vary...

I'm thinking this sh*t is hardcoded so there's not changing anything confused.gif

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:37)
To those who can snipe from further away... what resolution are you running in?
I'm guessing this has more to do with it than GPU type, since the resolution you play in scales a lot of other factors with it as well...

It isn't just the draw distance tbh.. They are not there cause if you shoot the window the car just keeps coming... No ped gets out in terror, no stopping the car and hearing the horn.. nothing.. Just empty cars...

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

I'm thinking this sh*t is hardcoded so there's not changing anything  confused.gif

Seems like it... can anyone with a better rig than mine verify if playing at high resolutions (I'm confined to 1024x768) changes anything?

It isn't just the draw distance tbh.. They are not there cause if you shoot the window the car just keeps coming... No ped gets out in terror, no stopping the car and hearing the horn.. nothing.. Just empty cars...

I know it's not only the ped not being drawn, but they made the resolution you play at scale a number of other things so who knows, maybe that's one of them... it would be pretty stupid but not surprising.

RonFTL
  • RonFTL

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

The dissapointments never stop coming.

If you shoot the "invisible" people do they die? Or is it like they are not even there?

(I would try it but I dont think I have a sniper on me. +its choppy)

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:41)
I'm thinking this sh*t is hardcoded so there's not changing anything  confused.gif

Seems like it... can anyone with a better rig than mine verify if playing at high resolutions (I'm confined to 1024x768) changes anything?

I know it's not only the ped not being drawn, but they made the resolution you play at scale a number of other things so who knows, maybe that's one of them... it would be pretty stupid but not surprising.

That would be absolutly crazy... turning down res automaticly gives lesser detail besides the pixels? I mean.. why?? confused.gif Anyway, I'm playing at 1024*768 as well cause my monitor doesn't handle higher res.. but my videocard can most def handle A LOT of detail.. check out these specs:

QCore 2.66Ghz
4gig DDR3 RAM
GTX 280 => It runs at 40FPS most of the time but there are some slowdowns at night because shadow density is put at max here..

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (RonFTL @ Dec 19 2008, 05:47)

If you shoot the "invisible" people do they die? Or is it like they are not even there?

Nope, they aren't even there.. When you see a car driving at more then 20feet, that means the car is driving by itself... tounge.gif

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:55 AM Edited by creat3d22, 19 December 2008 - 05:59 AM.

From the readme:
Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distanceThe resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory.At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

I hope this has nothing to do with it... I would gladly take an fps hit (how big could it be just for a handful of peds more?!) than ghost cars.

Have you tried overclocking that CPU?

I have a (dual core) e6750 2,66ghz stock speed running at 3,56ghz for GTA (3,46 the rest of the time), been like that for a year and still going strong.

Don't know which specific CPU you have but I'm sure you can get it much higher than 2,66ghz and squeeze out some more fps...
That, and your rig is begging for higher res mercie_blink.gif

Skythe
  • Skythe

AY!

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

rofl, I probably never would have noticed this if I hadn't read this thread =/

Now I can't stop noticing it.

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (Skythe @ Dec 19 2008, 00:55)

Same here tounge2.gif
Damn you all to hell!

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:55)
From the readme:
Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distanceThe resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory.At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

I hope this has nothing to do with it... I would gladly take an fps hit (how big could it be just for a handful of peds more?!) than ghost cars.

Have you tried overclocking that CPU?

I have a (dual core) e6750 2,66ghz stock speed running at 3,56ghz for GTA (3,46 the rest of the time), been like that for a year and still going strong.

Don't know which specific CPU you have but I'm sure you can get it much higher than 2,66ghz and squeeze out some more fps...
That, and your rig is begging for higher res mercie_blink.gif

Yeah I know but I just bought this rig and now I don't have any money left for my monitor rolleyes.gif Will upgrade that soon though.. And overclocking is coming, but I'm getting good FPS now so there's no need to overclock anything, hell, crysis runs at 40FPS everything maxed out tounge.gif

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Dec 19 2008, 05:57)
QUOTE (Skythe @ Dec 19 2008, 00:55)

Same here tounge2.gif
Damn you all to hell!

Same... I read this sh*t.. then started the game to confirm... Now I can't stop spotting empty cars... I've been cursed.. again.. cryani.gif

johnlee
  • johnlee

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (iamnotyou @ Dec 19 2008, 05:30)
Can anyone else who is not patched (I'm sure there are quite a few it seems) confirm that pre-patched GTAIV can do this draw distance like it should? I would actually be jazzed if this was a bug. It gives them a reason to release another patch, which nowadays doesn't always happen. Specially with ports.

EDIT: Another thought, anybody using Nvidia? How about beta drivers? I sure am. MIGHT make a difference. When I am off next, I will take the time to do all the uninstalling/reinstalling it will take to test this stuff. Hope someone who isn't patched can chime in if they still have the correct distance drawing of peds in cars.

It's not a drivers issue, did you watch my video? The game doesn't physical render the characters into view until 20ft away, you can CLEARLY see the characters "energize" (to steal from Star Trek) into being at the 20ft mark... This is not a drivers issue... This is hardcoded game logic...

Plus I DO have the "original virgin version" I have NOT patched my game at all.... So I have confirmed it also does not work in the original version... I don't know for sure about the patched version because I have not patched yet...

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (johnlee @ Dec 19 2008, 06:42)
QUOTE (iamnotyou @ Dec 19 2008, 05:30)

EDIT: Another thought, anybody using Nvidia?  How about beta drivers? I sure am.  MIGHT make a difference. When I am off next, I will take the time to do all the uninstalling/reinstalling it will take to test this stuff.  Hope someone who isn't patched can chime in if they still have the correct distance drawing of peds in cars.

It's not a drivers issue, did you watch my video? The game doesn't physical render the characters into view until 20ft away, you can CLEARLY see the characters "energize" (to steal from Star Trek) into being at the 20ft mark... This is not a drivers issue... This is hardcoded game logic...

Plus I DO have the "original virgin version" I have NOT patched my game at all.... So I have confirmed it also does not work in the original version... I don't know for sure about the patched version because I have not patched yet...

I patched it.. Doesn't fix anything tbh..

johnlee
  • johnlee

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:51 AM Edited by johnlee, 19 December 2008 - 06:55 AM.

They are never even there... I was using a modified sniper that shoots VERY rapidly and VERY accurate and shot like 4 dozen bullets at the driver side windshield of a moving car 3 stories below and it just kept on moving and turned the corner like my bullets didn't exists... So I think unless and until the driver "materialize" there is noone to kill, and the car goes drives on like nothing happens (the driver is just a "model" and doesn't "drive" the car, the car drives itself, the driver is there for looks...once he gets "killed" the car stops, but he can't get killed if he never exists in the first place, make sense?)

BTW my native res is 1280*1024 and I have tried every res BELOW that and no effect... Don't know about higher but I DOUBT it is a resolution issue either...

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (johnlee @ Dec 19 2008, 06:51)

They are never even there... I was using a modified sniper that shoots VERY rapidly and VERY accurate and shot like 4 dozen bullets at the driver side windshield of a moving car 3 stories below and it just kept on moving and turned the corner like my bullets didn't exists... So I think unless and until the driver "materialize" there is noone to kill, and the car goes drives on like nothing happens (the driver is just a "model" and doesn't "drive" the car, the car drives itself, the driver is there for looks...once he gets "killed" the car stops, but he can't get killed if he never exists in the first place, make sense?)

BTW my native res is 1280*1024 and I have tried every res BELOW that and no effect... Don't know about higher but I DOUBT it is a resolution issue either...

Btw, on console you can shoot the police helicopters pilot, then chopper goes down... Now you can't because chopper pilot isn't there... Very irritating... confused.gif

johnlee
  • johnlee

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Alucard155 @ Dec 19 2008, 07:05)

Btw, on console you can shoot the police helicopters pilot, then chopper goes down... Now you can't because chopper pilot isn't there... Very irritating... confused.gif

Can anyone CONFIRM if this same applies to MULTIPLAYER???

I remember playing MP with friends a while back and we would shoot each other through the window of the helicopter and crash the heli that way...

If what Alucard155 says is true, and the 20ft ped in car cap limit exists for MP as well as SP then that would change the dynamics of multilayer as well if we can't shoot our friends in cars or helis or boats because they don't exists except at EXTREMELY close distances...

JORDAN_BENNETT
  • JORDAN_BENNETT

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hey Johnlee, my problem still hes not been solved, so here is post agen...

Messenger: JORDAN_BENNETT
To: Johnlee

Misson 1 "Crazi man in taxi"

So Johnlee rite, I half sumthing to tell u. And if you don't ansor me, I tink I'm going to half 2 kiell u ok.

Anyway, I get up in de morning rite, my initial aim is to just begin to senselessly kill people, because I half already done all my missions and I'm veiry veiry bored.

So to begin with, I steal..I mean "burrow" an infernus ,(because it has dait faincy GPS system) and push euphorias's engine to the limit by seeiking just how realistickelly PEDs would fall to de ground wen I hit into their "rag dollish" bodies.

Yeis, so there I waus, senselessly kielling people as usual.

Everithing waus going well, until I saw a nice gurl pasing by on de sidewalk.

So I approached her, and she wuas imediately interested in me (i'm wondering still if this had anithing to do with infernus)
so as "my" infernus perched their being lit by that procedural sky, we talked for a little.

So, afteir talking for a while, she told me to follow her to her apartment.

I told heir to jump in my car, so she did dat.

So now, we're driving to apartment, and everithing is smooth an mealow......until this stupid crazi man in taxi smashes taxi into "my" car claiming that I was kielling all his customers (which I think wuz big mistake, as I onli killed cops dat month) and rite wen dis happinned, my gurl went flying rite thru the windshield of "my" once untouched infernus.

.......She.....she wuz ded!!!!!

Now, I wuz in strong persuit of this taxi driver......but by the time i was finished mourning and turned infernus towards taxi, taxi driver had already gone 25 ft beyond "my" infernus.....

Kan you explain this phenomenon 2 me?

Becuz although I was reading on these forums dat things only exist only 20 ft beyond me, I cant believe it!!!!!!

N'd also Johnlee, Carl Johnson from Los Santos, and Verceti from Vice City complained to me about similar problems.

You rarely hear me say this, but please Johnlee.....tell me this isn't true, wat is dis stuff about 20 ft?

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (johnlee @ Dec 19 2008, 07:12)
QUOTE (Alucard155 @ Dec 19 2008, 07:05)

Can anyone CONFIRM if this same applies to MULTIPLAYER???

I remember playing MP with friends a while back and we would shoot each other through the window of the helicopter and crash the heli that way...

If what Alucard155 says is true, and the 20ft ped in car cap limit exists for MP as well as SP then that would change the dynamics of multilayer as well if we can't shoot our friends in cars or helis or boats because they don't exists except at EXTREMELY close distances...

Nah, I don't think that happens on multy altough it's difficult to test it since it all moves so fast tounge.gif

999Jay999
  • 999Jay999

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

This is bad news, least there should be some form of option for changing this.

I can imagine though the performance loss issues if this was altered in some way. dozingoff.gif

NOT GOOD for my system at least.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (pimpinpenguin? @ Dec 18 2008, 20:28)
I changed the Value and now the game won't start sad.gif

You will maybe need to reinstall. Anyway check this.

Rickzu
  • Rickzu

Hay guys!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (JORDAN_BENNETT @ Dec 19 2008, 07:32)

And what a funny post it was. Good read.

Are you by any chance dyslexic? Because there was hardly any words spelled correctly in your post.

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Dec 19 2008, 09:23)
QUOTE (JORDAN_BENNETT @ Dec 19 2008, 07:32)

And what a funny post it was. Good read.

Are you by any chance dyslexic? Because there was hardly any words spelled correctly in your post.

there *were* hardly any words spelled correctly.. dozingoff.gif

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

• Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

In multiplayer, you can definately shoot them since they're actual players, not AI peds, so it's not an issue.

.I mean "burrow" an infernus ,(because it has dait faincy GPS system)

If you mean the talking GPS, you can enable it for all cars in the audio options.

Everithing waus going well, until I saw a nice gurl pasing by on de sidewalk.

So I approached her, and she wuas imediately interested in me (i'm wondering still if this had anithing to do with infernus)

No, she was a prostitute.
She was interested in getting some money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users