Slightly Disappointing GTA IV PC Sales

63 replies to this topic
FredFredrickson
  • FredFredrickson

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

Actually- this is a falacy.

You can't compare apples to oranges! Of course those games are selling more.. now!

But This is a FUTURE GAME!! See how GTA4 Sales beat the likes of *SPORE* in 2011. Yes, that's right. FUTUREGAME TM FTW!

All you short-sighted people. Don't understand long-term economics.

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Toshi_TNE @ Dec 16 2008, 19:59)
QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 16 2008, 19:46)
Piracy on the Xbox is not easy though.. Not as easy as on the PC.. You have to physically mod your console and have a certain level of technical skill to do it. Yeah, the piracy scene is just as thriving as the PC but there are going to be a lot of users who wouldnt have the first clue how to mod their xbox and will be buying games as it's their only choice.

There are places that you can take your console to get it modded. Hell, they even sell premodded consoles all over the place. It's not hard at all. I thinks it's a hell of a lot easier to pirate for consoles, you just burn the disc and play. No installs, DRM bypass, nocd cracks and so on. The whole "piracy is killing PC gaming" is just a sh*tty excuse. Crappy games are killing PC gaming.

Nah I don't buy that.. Although I agree there are people you can send your console to, to have this done. Like Blackmamba said though, many users won't want to risk this invalidating their warranty.. It's quite a hassle to have to find a reliable source to have the work done and then risk sending it off.

PC piracy has always been and will be the easiest route.

But anyway, it's all a much of a muchness..

jinnyjin
  • jinnyjin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

its bcuz gta iv requires a very high spec, specially cpu.
ppl are not gonna want to buy just the cpu n graphic cards bcuz simply they dont know how to install it and they wont even bother it. so, easy way?
ppl need to buy new computer that they can afford and have good spec.
maybe in 2-3yrs when ppl buy a decent computer it will have like gtx260 n a quad core LOL

JaffaTB
  • JaffaTB

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

i very rarely buy any games but i decided to buy this one, not because of any copy protections or activation methods or anything like that but just because i knew it would be worth the money

if its worth buying people will pay money

-vilx-
  • -vilx-

F*** all the rest, IV is the best.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

looks like many people bought a freakin console to play it and now just nobody buys the pc version :S

a bad port does its job too

mattstjean
  • mattstjean

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Well, alot of people can not run it on their pc because you need those expensive gaming graphic cards. Maybe you should make it exclusively for Laptops without those fancy video graphic cards. I was playing Bully on the Playstation 2 and then I thought about it, why not make GTA 4 for the wii, you can do it. The wii has better graphics than the PS2 and I thought the graphics for Bully were good, so make GTA 4 graphics like the Bully graphics except a little bit better.

toxic321
  • toxic321

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

well 3 days back i bought this game just worth Rs 500 in india approx 10$ US its cheapest here as compare to other country GTA 4 sales will be very good in any india as it is cheapest here other games like fallout worth rs2500 around 50$

0goldeneye0
  • 0goldeneye0

I'm Batman....

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

wow people still buy the sims :\
its been out like for years!

IveSearched
  • IveSearched

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Have to say, that if they didnt include online sales on GTA4, they havent on the other games as well.

Of course, the guy posting the german charts, has forgot to note, this is only the numbers from one store chain selling pc games. But i guess it is representative as it is, or not looking at the prices of games from that chain tounge.gif

bishman82
  • bishman82

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

I've looked on various news sites etc since before the release of GTA4 PC and when you read the little comments sections down the bottom i see the same thing over and over again and it's people saying they already purchased the 360/ps3 version so they will download this for free just to see what it runs like on their new PC hardware, and who can blame them? They have already paid their money for the game so it's justified from their point of view, even if they do have the hardware to run it a lot better than the console.

It's old news for most people now anyway, add that to the fact many people buying from retail would have a day or 2 to browse the forums and see how well it runs before deciding not to and the people who pre-ordered online don't even get counted into the charts. I'm surprised it even got into the top 10 tbh. Germany's a different matter though, biggest market for PC games over there.

Psycold
  • Psycold

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

I hope people waited a little bit unlike me, and found out the truth about this game before purchasing it. I don't want everyone making the same mistake I made by purchasing this. When I see exclusive xbox GTA chapters, slightly better graphics on x360 vs ps3 and a horrible port to the PC, it really shows you the effect of Microsoft's $50 million they threw at Rockstar. I hope the PC gaming community can continue to fix this game and keep supporting it with mods, etc.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

I have updated my first post to include the charts from both Steam and Direct 2 Drive and by all accounts GTA 4 isn't doing that badly on those services :-

Some more charts are trickling in here GTA 4 for the PC is Number 3 in the steam charts only beaten by the Almighty Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 (which is currently available for $10). So a pretty strong presence from GTA 4 on steam. Then we just need to look at the D2D charts and GTA 4 is Numero Uno, that's right it is Number One on D2D. This is inspite of it being a fairly hefty download (14gbs) and it is yet a further indication of the direction that the PC market is heading. So not all doom and gloom as the NPD would indicate. Many thanks to Adriaan at grandtheftauto.ign.com for finding these updated charts.

Steam Charts As Of December 15

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Call of Duty: World at War
5. Fallout 3
6. CS: Source
7. The Orange Box
8. Defense Grid: The Awakening
9. World of Goo
10. Counter-Strike

Direct2Drive Charts As Of December 15

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Fallout 3
3. Call of Duty: World at War
4. Red Alert 3
5. Kings Bounty: The Legend
6. Rome Total War
7. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
8. Medieval Total War
9. Civilization IV
10. World of Goo

So it's not all doom and gloom and it shows the direction that PC sales are heading.
Source : Kotaku

qwertz123
  • qwertz123

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

in other news: due to the low retail sales and high pirating of gta4 a sequel is only planned for the xbox and ps3.

thank you for reading this!

toxic321
  • toxic321

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (qwertz123 @ Dec 16 2008, 20:48)
in other news: due to the low retail sales and high pirating of gta4 a sequel is only planned for the xbox and ps3.

thank you for reading this!

gta 4 sequel is only for xbox 360 not for ps3

foxfire29
  • foxfire29

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:04 PM Edited by foxfire29, 16 December 2008 - 09:08 PM.

You want to know how to get good sales and from a perspective of someone who is unlike the hordes of corporate apologists??

Ok I shall enlighten you and the company you represent, dont put DRM on your next title, now I am sure I will get flamed for this mentality but I am telling you the truth, you see MANY people are getting stung on a daily basis by DRM/rootkits and sh*tty activation systems so its becomming common knowledge and people will actually make the choice, if a game has a sh*tty rental system installed then why buy? Some may even decide, lets pirate all DRM games but so long as your corporate managers maintain their delusions you will continue to see sales drop.

A good game sells on its own merit and in the case of GTA thats aside from the performance issues but people dont want to buy a game and only get 3 to 5 installs and reactivated on YOUR say so which if your firm deems a user like myself who has 3 PCs has installed my game to much then you can revoke the game license. This is bullsh*t because it was a far fairer system in the past and you made your money and I am glad people are seeing sense where this DRM is concerned, I wanted GTA 4 but from now on I will not even consider looking at peviews of a game and buying into the hype until I have seen in writing a gaurentee fom the publisher that No rootkits/drm will be installed. Lets get real here someone like myself who only will install GTA on my home PCs on my home network in my house is doing knowone any harm and these stupid idiotic systems are hurting us buyers bad.

DRM hasnt even really been looked into in the legilative sense a far as Im aware with referance to civil liberties and other things so it seems to me your firms lawyers have looked at the law and exploited copyright laws in conjunction with fair use to create drm which is a dam grey area at best, please stop it!

Or you can continue to kid yourselfs that piracy has hurt GTA 4 badly. Piracy will remain but the fact you had an online component , you could have had a traditional key system since GTA is a game GTA fans will simply have to have, however many people now adopt the philosophy DRM = NoBuy or Pirate just because the corporations that peddle DRM are percieved to be control freaks who want to have a 100% monopoloy on the web , kill all free information and have it 100% every aspect pay as you go. Thats how people think , please see sense and bin DRM unless you want to amass the kind of hate the likes of Sony has! and EA! You got of reasnably okay because you are living of the previous good name4 of rockstar but people are hitting back by auto reviewing any drm games with a one and whether thats fair or not the fact is many people who see a drm complaint well that overules all and they will not buy, and no these people are not criminals, they are actually in many cases obsessive games collectors like myself who have massive collections and thousands of pounds worth in Software/Hardware/Games and other misc PC equipment.

Another ugly face of activation and such.........well lets first consider that I still play the games Elite and elite 2 , now if that had been activation systems I wouldnt be able to play anymore. Another thing is , this DRM is causing more of us to get viruses and exploits on our machines, this is because I have many bloatware/drm crap on my machines and with some games its really dam hard if even possible to get more than 3 activations, because of this I cant format near as much as I would like to, its a f*ckin joke tbh and a bad one so stop because we have heard this sh*t 1 million times and many people are making a concious desicion to vere away completely from DRM ridden crap.

In short, (nothing personal) its your own fault

<Floyd>
  • <Floyd>

GTA Modder

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Definately because of its many many issues!!!! Everyone would have expected IV to completely steal the PC market.

Atleast the PC martket is on the up istself...good news for all of us upgrading our system for IV!!!!!!!!! devil.gif

http://www.edge-onli...-market-largest

P.S notice the bannar just above article on the site above suicidal.gif

foxfire29
  • foxfire29

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:15 PM Edited by foxfire29, 16 December 2008 - 09:29 PM.

I have an 8600GT which isnt a top notch card and it runs pretty well, you are all entitled to your opinion but I think its more to do with many thousands of potential buyers seeing those "One " out of 5 reviews on amazon and the alike largely due to drm and they are thinking "nah if I buy a game I want to be able to install it as much as I want"

I say this because in many cases its human nature for a person to just buy a product thinking they have a good enough PC in many cases, and alot of the mid range PCs meet the requirements relatively comfortably, all these reasons and more are why I think the primary reqason is drm

I have also played the game on the xbox and it performs about the same as it does on my own machine thats another reason

Jesus Mary ,all you guys talk about piracy in here like is only exclusive to the PC ,do you actually know how high piracy is on the X360???? And how games pirated on the x360 get released days,even weeks before release day (GEARS 2 ) ??

IF A GAME IS WORTH BUYING IT WILL BE BOUGHT ,even people who pirate games ,if they like the game,they buy it,for the multiplayer ,or just the pleasure to have it .

Very dam true, why do you publishers ignore this and think the xbox is pirate free , lol its every bit as bad but its easier to blame piracy rather than admit idiotic corporate practices like DRM

Mr Heckler
  • Mr Heckler

I kick fanboy arse before breakfast

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:46 AM

UK PC Chart as of 16th Dec

01 Football Manager 2009 (No change)
02 Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Last week: 4)
03 Call of Duty: World at War (No change)
04 Grand Theft Auto IV (Last week: 2)
05 World of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King (No change)
06 Fallout 3 (No change)
07 Spore (No change)
08 Left 4 Dead (No change)
09 Far Cry 2 (No change)
10 The Sims 2: Apartment Life (Last week: 11)

GTA IV was 2nd last week, sales have been hit due to the reports of problems.

Interestingly though, it managed to reach number 16 in the overall games charts. (all platforms).. but that would also inclue console sales.

Jops
  • Jops

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

7 is still pretty good for a simple port that cost them a fraction of what the console development did.

Which is probably what the PC version is all about, a bonus on the cheap. Minimizing costs to maximize profit, focusing attention on the bigger market which is consoles.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Jops @ Dec 17 2008, 09:41)
7 is still pretty good for a simple port that cost them a fraction of what the console development did.

Which is probably what the PC version is all about, a bonus on the cheap. Minimizing costs to maximize profit, focusing attention on the bigger market which is consoles.

jops mate, I appreciate your support, but the link in your sig is dead, dead, dead all over biggrin.gif

Something needs to be done. This crap must stop, we are losing our time, effort and money on nitwits. R* was a PC game dev once, but now they are just pathetic. Publish games properly or don't publish at all. Shame on you R* North for handling that pile of crap you call GTA IV code to Toronto. What are those guys supposed to do with that sh*t? Are they miracle workers? I don't think so! I mean, this game was designed for x360 (later on forced on PS3) and it still stutters on those consoles. In a majorly cut down version! How the f*ck was Toronto supposed to make it work?

Very lame you didn't publish the special PC edition. This should have been the contents of the package
* GTA IV
* all the paper bullsh*t
* a vomit bag
* a bottle of depressants
* 2 GTX 280 cards special ultraclocked edition for GTA IV

for a special price of 1000$.

Also, one question for MS: how the hell could you put your glorified and much appreciated stamp of approval on a basically broken update? I don't get it, did ANYONE test that garbage? Or it was just assumed GTA IV couldn't be broken even more?

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (EntropicLqd @ Dec 16 2008, 12:37)
Not really surprising.

I've seen loads of comments from people that were intending to get the game but have been put off by the complaints about the performance on various forums.

And to be honest, my advice to some curious friends has been that if they don't have at least a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a graphics card with at least 512MB then they should give the game a miss.

Same here. I'm sure if the game came out running even well then it's sales would be really good... but that didn't happen. There's a lot of people out there with the minimum requirements that were planning on buying it but with it performing as it is, R* is losing a LOT of potential sales.

Avean
  • Avean

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

I think you need to look at the chart again, it beat Left 4 Dead which is one of the most top selling pc games for a long time.

yogibbear
  • yogibbear

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

I don't get it? It's selling great. No. 7 = very very good. Especially considering all the "bad" press. It's still press.

1. America is the BIGGEST console market. The rest of the world (generalized statement) is more interested in PC gaming.

2. NPD numbers suck.

Therefore, outside of the US i would say would be the major market for GTAIV. Hence a no. 7 in the US = huge sales world-wide.

Jops
  • Jops

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Dec 17 2008, 08:48)

jops mate, I appreciate your support, but the link in your sig is dead, dead, dead all over biggrin.gif

Lol, its remains only as a protest for a possible PC version or in the attainment of that version a symbol of my laziness.

Allonzo
  • Allonzo

R* f*cked up

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (joshrichardson @ Dec 16 2008, 18:03)
QUOTE (MasterK @ Dec 16 2008, 18:03)
Or when your games gets published on torrent services on the first day, then get's downloaded by more than 100.000 people in 5 hours. confused.gif

And then the pirates realize they're f*cked because their game is permanently drunk.

Yea, 1 hour long so they made a fix and no more problems

Anamon
  • Anamon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Some European charts... as you said, Europe is much more PC-centric, and it looks pretty good over here.

Germany, Dec 1st - 7th 2008 (by Media Control):
1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
4. Need for Speed: Undercover
5. Fußball-Manager 09
6. Die Sims 2: Villen- und Garten-Accessoires
7. FIFA 09
8. Fallout 3
9. Command & Conquer: Alarmstufe Rot 3
10. Tomb Raider: Underworld

Switzerland, week 49/2008 (by Media Control):
1 Grand Theft Auto IV Take 2 1
2 Call of Duty 5: World at War Activision Blizzard 4
3 World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King - Addon Activision Blizzard 4
4 Need For Speed: Undercover Electronic Arts 3
5 Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3 Electronic Arts 6
6 FIFA Manager 09 Electronic Arts 6
7 Fallout 3 Bethesda Softworks 6
8 Far Cry 2 Ubi Soft 7
9 Left 4 Dead Electronic Arts 3
10 Tomb Raider: Underworld

UK, Dec 6th - 13th (by ELSPA)
1. Football Manager 2009
2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (moved down from 2)
5. World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King
6. Fallout 3
7. SPORE
8. Left 4 Dead
9. Far Cry 2
10. The Sims 2: Apartment Life

postem
  • postem

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (FredFredrickson @ Dec 16 2008, 20:05)
Actually- this is a falacy.

You can't compare apples to oranges! Of course those games are selling more.. now!

But This is a FUTURE GAME!! See how GTA4 Sales beat the likes of *SPORE* in 2011. Yes, that's right. FUTUREGAME TM FTW!

All you short-sighted people. Don't understand long-term economics.

Yeah the sales will boost on future. On a very very distant future

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

Well, what did you people expect? When you release a game, and in less than one day, word gets out about how problematic it is (technically), you end up getting gamers (like me) who will think twice before buying it, and not buying it at all...

Serves them (R*) right for f*cking up... I, for one, wouldn't have minded waiting another month or two of delay time for the game, if that meant perfecting the game and ensuring it would work on all PCs (granted, they meet the game's requirements). I know there are a lot of impatient people out there who wouldn't want to wait for them to fix the game's problems, but to hell with those impatient bastards.
R* wanted our money, and chose to release it before it was ready... that's a mistake. They probably expected to get away with it like Microsoft did when they released the Xbox 360 before it was technically ready. Money-hungry scum-bags... [/rant]

@Fred: True, it is a bad comparison, but it's not completely inacurate. I might get the game in the future, but only if all the problems are erraticated. Damn right it's a future game... it obviously wasn't prepared for our "retarded PCs".

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:10 AM Edited by DML, 20 December 2008 - 08:13 AM.

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Dec 20 2008, 17:54)
Serves them (R*) right for f*cking up...

The problem with Rockstar Games is that the development and release of good-quality games is NOT a prerequisite to them returning large profits.

They are in a filthy tangle of prostitution, drugs, murder, gun-running and terrorism, with both Sony and Microsoft, and that ensures they cover expenses even before the game goes on sale. When console version sales role in, it's ALL profit for them, and by the time they decide they've exhausted that avenue of sales, they then throw together something for PC gamers.

It's all about money for Rockstar. Not one true word is uttered by their reps - e.g. they crapped on about how good the PS3 was, and then they sold (re-sold) their soul to Microsoft. They spoke sh*t about the game being ONLY on the two consoles, and then later told us it would be for PC. Despite ignoring many, they lied in replies hundreds and possibly thousands of emails sent in by concerned PC gamers - stating that there were "currently no plans" to release GTA IV for PC, when all the while they apparently had Rockstar Toronto working on it for 12 months.

When it comes to game developers, Rockstar Games is, and has been for some time now, truly on the nose.

amisnaru
  • amisnaru

Non-flying Finn

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

At least we in Finland know what we're doing:

PC

1 Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2)
2 World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (Activision-Blizzard)
3 Call of Duty: World at War (Activision-Blizzard)
4 The Sims 2: Kaupunkikämppä (Electronic Arts)
5 Fallout 3 (Bethesda)
6 Spore (Electronic Arts)
7 Counter-Strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
8 NHL 09 (Electronic Arts)
9 Hevonen ja Poni 2 – Ratsastuskoulu (PAN Vision)
10 Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users