» «
Photo

Slightly Disappointing GTA IV PC Sales

63 replies to this topic
CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:44 PM Edited by CharmingCharlie, 16 December 2008 - 08:45 PM.

I know there are many people on the board eager for news on how well the PC version is selling and sadly it looks like "not very well" in the US is the answer. According to the almighty NPD here are the software charts for the US between November 30 and December 6. :-

1. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - Blizzard
2. Spore - EA Maxis
3. The Sims 2 Deluxe - EA Maxis
4. Call Of Duty: World At War - Treyarch
5. Fallout 3 - Bethesda
6. The Sims 2 Apartment Life Exp. Pack - EA Maxis
7. Grand Theft Auto IV - Rockstar Games
8. Left 4 Dead - Valve
9. Far Cry 2 - Ubisoft Montreal
10. The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff Exp. - EA Maxis

source

We can but hope the game fairs better in Europe and the Asian regions. It is also important to remember that the NPD DOES NOT include sales made by channels such as Steam and Direct 2 Drive. I appreciate there will be some on this board that want to "gloat" about the poor sales and go "ha ha serves Rockstar right". However bear in mind this is NOT good for the PC overall and I will be watching this thread like a hawk so keep the trolling and the flaming OUT.

UPDATE

Some more charts are trickling in here GTA 4 for the PC is Number 3 in the steam charts only beaten by the Almighty Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 (which is currently available for $10). So a pretty strong presence from GTA 4 on steam. Then we just need to look at the D2D charts and GTA 4 is Numero Uno, that's right it is Number One on D2D. This is inspite of it being a fairly hefty download (14gbs) and it is yet a further indication of the direction that the PC market is heading. So not all doom and gloom as the NPD would indicate. Many thanks to Adriaan at grandtheftauto.ign.com for finding these updated charts.

Steam Charts As Of December 15

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Call of Duty: World at War
5. Fallout 3
6. CS: Source
7. The Orange Box
8. Defense Grid: The Awakening
9. World of Goo
10. Counter-Strike

Direct2Drive Charts As Of December 15

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Fallout 3
3. Call of Duty: World at War
4. Red Alert 3
5. Kings Bounty: The Legend
6. Rome Total War
7. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
8. Medieval Total War
9. Civilization IV
10. World of Goo

So it's not all doom and gloom and it shows the direction that PC sales are heading.
Source : Kotaku

Sub12
  • Sub12

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

Unfortunately, the almighty NPD does not consider online retail sales. GTA IV has been big on both Steam and D2D. Also, GTA IV sales are only considered for 5 days, compared to 7 for the rest. Also, consider 4 out of the 6 are PC exlcusives, and the other two are multi-platform titles with simultaneous release among all platforms.

Still, it is somewhat disappointing I suppose.

Just_a_Man
  • Just_a_Man

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:50 PM Edited by Just_a_Man, 16 December 2008 - 06:05 PM.

Germany, store sales - seems a bit better:

http://www.gamestar.de/charts/

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 17 2008, 03:44)
However bear in mind this is NOT good for the PC overall and I will be watching this thread like a hawk so keep the trolling and the flaming OUT.

Too damn right it's not good. But for a game release which is unintentionally (or intentionally) structured to result in lower sales (the 7-month delay, the lies about the console versions being the ONLY versions, and the bad publicity due to it being a crap port and such), it has probably done quite well for itself.

Just imagine though, how good it would've done if it was released in April this year, was made separately and specifically for PC, and Rockstar still had credibility in the eyes of PC gamers. If only.

Lutra78
  • Lutra78

MGMT

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

The way NPD counts the sales is very very oldfashioned. Even online orders at amazon.com etc. are not counted. So this says not much about the overall sales.

In Germany, Europes biggest gaming market, GTAIV is #1 since day of release.

joshrichardson
  • joshrichardson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

I guess this is what happens when you port a game poorly.

CEMEH_CEMEHbl4
  • CEMEH_CEMEHbl4

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 16 2008, 17:44)
However bear in mind this is NOT good for the PC overall

lol

you have NVIDIA card - you can play

i have ATI card - i have black stripes on all objects... - i cant play

well, i can play - but i dont want,it looks like a sh*t

so, what the f*ck are you talking about?

PS. Believe me 7 place its a miracle for such a broken game icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

good luck sarcasm.gif

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Or when your games gets published on torrent services on the first day, then get's downloaded by more than 100.000 people in 5 hours. confused.gif

joshrichardson
  • joshrichardson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ Dec 16 2008, 18:03)
Or when your games gets published on torrent services on the first day, then get's downloaded by more than 100.000 people in 5 hours. confused.gif

And then the pirates realize they're f*cked because their game is permanently drunk.

radeonhd
  • radeonhd

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

I'm sure it's because of the most horribple port to PC of the history, all the people I know they were going to buy gta Iv for pc, didn't buy it thank to go because I advised them after I bought the mine.

Sub12
  • Sub12

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Just_a_Man @ Dec 16 2008, 17:50)
Germany, store sales - seems a bit better:

http://www.gamestar.de/charts/

Germany has always been a PC stronghold. Someone from Microsoft Games claimed if there's a simultaneous Xbox and PC release, 80% of the sales would be PC.

l3ritish_l3eef
  • l3ritish_l3eef

PC Oldie

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:09 PM Edited by l3ritish_l3eef, 16 December 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Would like to think that this is a kick up the ass they deserve but the reality is they probably feel more justified in giving us this "effort" in the first place.

I feel that until the ease of piracy is overcome we will see more and more of these ports. Shame they forget to easily where most of them began....

I for one am hopeing the bioshock series dont go down the same path.

Stardog
  • Stardog

You can't eat the venetian blinds!

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

Retail PC game sales mean nothing.

I haven't bought a PC game in-store for years. I got GTA from Game.co.uk.

FredFredrickson
  • FredFredrickson

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

It pisses me off that they're trying to boost console sales simply by manipulating the market. They're just robbing peter to pay paul- all to do a favor for different behind the scene contracts to get.. money! Nobody is defending the PC market- and it seems microsoft is just as guilty as the others. If microsoft knows what's good for them, they should be defending the pc market.

How many people keep windows around just to play games? Isn't that the core reason people don't jump to linux? If microsoft gets rid of the main reason to keep that dumb operating system- I see no reason to keep it. If they want to rob their PC gamer market to push their xbox crap, I figure they'll be doing themselves more harm than good in the long run.

Nobody's defending the pc gaming market.

Microsoft is as guilty as the rest for making under-the-table deals to make sure that GTA 4 is only a success on consoles, making Xbox sales more appetizing..

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Stardog @ Dec 16 2008, 18:12)
Retail PC game sales mean nothing.

I haven't bought a PC game in-store for years. I got GTA from Game.co.uk.

True. Seriously.. people nowadays are too f*cking lazy to go out buying their games from their local games store biggrin.gif

STKD
  • STKD

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

Aww, what a shame. Poor Rockstar you must be so dissHAINYOURFACEROCKSTAR!

EntropicLqd
  • EntropicLqd

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Not really surprising.

I've seen loads of comments from people that were intending to get the game but have been put off by the complaints about the performance on various forums.

And to be honest, my advice to some curious friends has been that if they don't have at least a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a graphics card with at least 512MB then they should give the game a miss.

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (joshrichardson @ Dec 16 2008, 18:03)
QUOTE (MasterK @ Dec 16 2008, 18:03)

And then the pirates realize they're f*cked because their game is permanently drunk.

This really is the problem with PC games in general though.. Big titles are going to get pirated very quickly and in mass due to the barrier to piracy on PC being so low.

I think there is a culture in PC gaming to pirate - much more than to buy new titles.. Especially when you compare it to the consoles.

It's a damn shame GTA isn't doing better in the charts though - it deserves to.

Although, I have to wonder what effect the numerous problems have had on either a) putting off potential buyers or b) encouraging people on the fence to pirate instead of buy..

A sad state indeed..

I do hope all these issues get sorted over the next month and restore faith in the game which will hopefully stimulate new buyers down the line.. If modding becomes a big thing this may also help increase sales..

Smiti
  • Smiti

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Jesus Mary ,all you guys talk about piracy in here like is only exclusive to the PC ,do you actually know how high piracy is on the X360???? And how games pirated on the x360 get released days,even weeks before release day (GEARS 2 ) ??

IF A GAME IS WORTH BUYING IT WILL BE BOUGHT ,even people who pirate games ,if they like the game,they buy it,for the multiplayer ,or just the pleasure to have it .

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

A broken game like this piece of sh*t should never be selled icon13.gif
Payers only get tricked for nothing.

JD83
  • JD83

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm sure piracy doesn't help..and the fact GTA 4 has been out on the consoles for a long time . I would assume 7th is pretty good considering the first two issues mentioned along with the Negative press this game has got. If they don't count steam and online purchase thats another problem. I buy almost all of my games from Newegg or Amazon. I save a few dollars in tax that way.

daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm sorry but it is pretty hard to have any sympathy for them. It's not a shock is it really? Poor port with very little effort behind it finding it hard to take money in the current financal climate. PC gamers are notorious in the industry for being picky/wise when it comes to selecting a new game - alot of them will do mounds of research reviews/check forums/ask friends before dipping there hands in there pocket.

I doubt then that all the start up issues and the performance in general being slammed on every respectable website and forum would of helped. I also doubt that Rockstar Toronto's response being "it's for future PC's" stance went down very well either with the tech wise community. I'm sorry Toronto but alot of them could smell that foul stench a mile off.

Weses
  • Weses

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

Console gamers 95% of the time buy their games from the store (Not arcade games or originals which you can buy and download from the marketplace)

PC gamers 40% of the time buy their games from stores since they mostly use the wonderful creation that is Steam. (Or some other 'Buy and download games' program)

This news isn't a surprise to me. Remember, most users who buy their games on Steam are from the US.

torresno9
  • torresno9

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Smiti @ Dec 16 2008, 19:27)
Jesus Mary ,all you guys talk about piracy in here like is only exclusive to the PC ,do you actually know how high piracy is on the X360???? And how games pirated on the x360 get released days,even weeks before release day (GEARS 2 ) ??

IF A GAME IS WORTH BUYING IT WILL BE BOUGHT ,even people who pirate games ,if they like the game,they buy it,for the multiplayer ,or just the pleasure to have it .

totally agree icon14.gif it isnt just down to piracy, and it isnt a pc only problem

boselect
  • boselect

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

thats what you get for releasing it this long AFTER the xbox version.

the plain fact that it didnt sell as well is because 90% of the players bought it on the xbox beforehand.

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Smiti @ Dec 16 2008, 19:27)
Jesus  Mary ,all you guys talk about piracy in here like is only exclusive to the PC ,do you actually know how high piracy is on the X360???? And how games pirated on the x360 get released days,even weeks before release day (GEARS 2 ) ??

Piracy on the Xbox is not easy though.. Not as easy as on the PC.. You have to physically mod your console and have a certain level of technical skill to do it. Yeah, the piracy scene is just as thriving as the PC but there are going to be a lot of users who wouldnt have the first clue how to mod their xbox and will be buying games as it's their only choice.

BlackMamba47
  • BlackMamba47

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:51 PM Edited by BlackMamba47, 16 December 2008 - 07:55 PM.

None of the titles on the list above GTAIV shock me. Fallout 3 is quite obvious, COD5 is obvious, the Sims 2 has a larger fanbase on PC than GTA probably ever will, Spore was waited for for a long time, and Lich King was arguably the most hyped PC release for this year.

People need to realize that people who were really and truly willing to do whatever to play GTAIV during its initial release window already have, and many of them wouldn't drop another 50 bucks for the game on PC, especially after hearing the problems. Another problem that likely impeded those sales figures (which leave out a major component being online, which is why Left 4 Dead is so low on the list) is piracy.

So all in all, nothing to see here in my opinion.

And to add to Slingshots point about 360 piracy. It wouldnt take me more than 5 minutes to search how to mod my 360 to play pirated games. The problem is after that point, most people arent willing and/or able to go inside their 360 to make the necessary changes. Most people wouldn't want to validate the lifetime warranty thats present on the 360s, damage so integral part and make their system a sitting brick, and won't spend the money to get the thermal paste and other gadgets needed to make the change.

So, even though I CAN and other people CAN mod their 360s, most people wouldn't and shouldn't, as in my opinion the problems that could arise far outweigh the free games you could probably get out of it. And as Slingshot said, pirating PC games is a much simpler process and doesn't have the fear of permanently messing up your PC if you do.

SONAFRebel77
  • SONAFRebel77

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

What did they expect? This cannot be blamed to piracy or something... the main gameplay is funn, but how many players got that sort of "nuclear power plant" that can run the game smoothly??

Nah Mean
  • Nah Mean

Bulgarian Nightmare

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

How Do You expect to be sold much with such requirements?

Toshi_TNE
  • Toshi_TNE

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 16 2008, 19:46)
Piracy on the Xbox is not easy though.. Not as easy as on the PC.. You have to physically mod your console and have a certain level of technical skill to do it. Yeah, the piracy scene is just as thriving as the PC but there are going to be a lot of users who wouldnt have the first clue how to mod their xbox and will be buying games as it's their only choice.

There are places that you can take your console to get it modded. Hell, they even sell premodded consoles all over the place. It's not hard at all. I thinks it's a hell of a lot easier to pirate for consoles, you just burn the disc and play. No installs, DRM bypass, nocd cracks and so on. The whole "piracy is killing PC gaming" is just a sh*tty excuse. Crappy games are killing PC gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users