» «
Photo

GTA IV CAR MODS

3 replies to this topic
JORDAN_BENNETT
  • JORDAN_BENNETT

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:46 PM Edited by JORDAN_BENNETT, 14 December 2008 - 10:58 PM.

Who would want to mod Gta iv's cars? After all Gta iv''s cars look and feel better than any other vehicles in the series......

But if one wanted to install new cars, one would have to recall the instance that Gta iv's cars experience a new level of physics, where instead of .col files "simulating" damage, GTa iv's cars are damaged based on a cornucopia of environmental conditions in game, which is to say that based on how crashes transpire, damages are synonymous with such crashes or damages will be as an absolute result of particular crashes in game; If I decide to lay my baseball bat down on the bonnet of a coquette for exemplary example, the damage formed on the bonnet will mirror the shape of the bat, and will consider my distance in relation to such a coquette, as well as the exact location where I lay down the bat on/smacked the coquette.

This is my assumption, and such an assumption is indubitably open to criticism. My assumption of how rockstar accomplished this dead on damage physics is as follows:

Utilizing their "Rockstar Advance Physics Engine" my perception is that in the process of creating the game, they would have predefined conditions and parameters, that contain information about real world materials, and as such with those instructions and codes they could say program a piece of material to "act like" metal in game. Let me try to obviate or make myself more clear here. Say you have a coquette. It is pretty obvious that there are different parts and materials on such a coquette; glass-windshield, rubber-tires, and metal-coquette's shell. So say in the process of creating car, they had codes which entailed/contained information about real world glass. They could program or implement such a code in the windshield part of the coquette, and so if such a coquette were to be bulleted/shot by a policeman while Niko is desperately trying to escape, the fact that programs of code relating to metal properties were implemented in the coquettes glass parts, the windshield would subsequently shatter as though the real windshield of a corvette in reality would shatter. Of course, probably the glass types and reactions to elements would vary in the game, like say the coquette's windshield would probably shatter differently than the coquette's front, and rear lights. And of course, probably, that is, the same would go for codes and their relation to other materials all throughout the game, like program codes for concrete in game, and so on.

A clear example of my theory is below:

Variable name is "Rockstar Program Code for metal" = rough=90, breaking point parameters=50, etc etc (of course this is just a forecast and may not actually be this simple, but rather a billion times complexed in coded nature)

Implementation
Input "Rockstar Program Code for cement " into warehouse walls in specified area (and ofcourse while rockstar programmers were implementing these property codes into material througout the game, there may be different varieties of cement, or glass, and as such variation in specific codes-like say variations in a metal code)

So that pretty much summarizes my theory.

So, despite my theory, I'm not sure what rockstar did to certain building materials; whether they just made certain material be primitively breakable in game like say they would have a wall in game, and based on how many brick sections they have when I hit that wall, It would break differently each time, but not crack, but rather separate in segments to the ground. All together they could have possibly used the "breakable method" method above, and go ahead and set wall to break down, then crack into predefined "more broken down" segments, to simulate cracking.

So either they used the Breakable object method, or used the physics engine method with rather predefined codes and an ever spontaneous environment which don't follow the .col file streak/ "non rag doll approach" to environment.

To figure out their theory would require "a while" of testing in game to see how a wall for example would break based on how one crashed a car into it in game.

But i am more sure that a"rag doll approach was take towards car damage physics though.....and that's pretty obvious why; car damages differently each time one crashes, or smashes it etc.

***************************Any who, the purpose of this theory being revealed to you modders, is that I wanted to evoke in your minds approaches to take if one were to consider creating car mods or even other objects in game.

That being typed, we would have to create a program, with predefined codes with properties of real life materials or something of that nature, so that such codes could be implemented into mods which we may create, which would react like "real life" in game, or something close to what rockstar has accomplished.

So essentially I am not requesting that one builds an engine, but a "small" program which will be the passage way or "garages" where one could equip his mod with real life properties, as I am not sure whether the old .col file manipulation method can work.

Other wise my other theory is that if we find a program that can view dff files or whatever file format gta iv now utilizes, if we install new cars or objects such objects will automatically be updated with real life material properties. Either that or they would be totally non-responsive in game, not receiving damage, and "dissing" rockstars work of art.

Hope you guys can see eye to eye with what I've typed here.............

KillerEST
  • KillerEST

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

That would be cool.

Intosia
  • Intosia

I'm random! ^^

• Members

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:34 PM Edited by Intosia, 18 December 2008 - 07:27 PM.

What you're talking about is called the DMM Engine. That does that. Its used in the new Star Wars Force Unleashed game.

http://www.pixeluxen...dmm_engine.html

DMM demo in Star Wars game:
http://nl.youtube.co...h?v=gAQ_j23PtWc

jadire
  • jadire

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

Source on your ridiculous claim GTAIV had DMM?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users