[DOC]IV model formats - .wft, .wdr, .wdd

366 replies to this topic
DaBeast.
  • DaBeast.

I can has polygon?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Just head over to the Zmodeler forums.Alls whats in there, is in highlights in here. Different forums, same story.

-DaBeast

BWARazor
  • BWARazor

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, ill watch that topic!

NAPRES666
  • NAPRES666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

How can I edit .wdd format?

Gen0cide_
  • Gen0cide_

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Everyone here's waiting for more info, so sit tight. We arent able to edit any models yet.

Bipolar God
  • Bipolar God

=A= PS3 Vice President

• Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

Well i just want you guys to know that i think it is so great that you guys are putting all this effort and time in to this. icon14.gif So dont give up, and remember that a whole forum of people working together is better the one person. devil.gif

Oleg
  • Oleg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

http://forum.zmodele...opic.php?t=3663

olddawid
  • olddawid

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

any trial? icon14.gif

Gen0cide_
  • Gen0cide_

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Any chance of an exporter to make new cars? icon14.gif

Tru-Swagg
  • Tru-Swagg

Swagga of a College Kid

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:12 AM Edited by Tru-Swagg, 20 February 2009 - 07:36 AM.

It seems the .wdr lose their UV Co-Ords when you export them from the viewer. Any way to prevent this, or trick it?

iGeo
  • iGeo

HaloMods.com Admin

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Would anyone mind clarifying a few things for me?

I understand we cannot yet export models to the correct format for GTA IV. What I don't understand, is why not? If we have the format to view and extract them from the game, why can we not put them back? Could we not get the format of the models from the .exe? And what exactly is stopping us from editing things like the shaders?

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (iGeo @ Feb 20 2009, 23:06)

I understand we cannot yet export models to the correct format for GTA IV. What I don't understand, is why not? If we have the format to view and extract them from the game, why can we not put them back? Could we not get the format of the models from the .exe? And what exactly is stopping us from editing things like the shaders?

In answer to all your questions: its not that simple.

jjcoolj91
  • jjcoolj91

"Snipin's a good job mate...Challenging Work."

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (iGeo @ Feb 20 2009, 06:06)

why can we not put them back? Could we not get the format of the models from the .exe? And what exactly is stopping us from editing things like the shaders?

Better answer for you

we dont have alll the coordinates of the skinning nodes yet for certain models and the format of the model isnt in the .exe its within its HEX Code,you can edit shaders partially by editing bump and specular maps within the wtd you wish to edit

iGeo
  • iGeo

HaloMods.com Admin

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

But if we have the ability to view and extract the models, surely we have the format information... this is what's confusing me. If anyone could add me on msn or AIM I'd appreciate a quick chat to get me up to scratch; geohowarduk [at] gmail [dot] com is my MSN and iGeoUK is my AIM.

Are we certain the model format information isn't in the .exe?

EDIT: But how comes we can extract the models with the correct UVW information, and view them. Please, don't hesitate to go into technical details with me.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Enough has been decoded to be able to locate various models' geometry and load it in a simple viewer, but there is far more complexity to the format than just the geometry. It may be possible to move a few triangles around using a hex editor and knowledge of the right addresses, but due to the nature of hex editing far more needs to be decoded before various dependencies can be recognised. You can pull a Lego model to bits to find one brick easily, but rebuilding it exactly how it was again is going to be much harder. tounge.gif

In other words; yes we can view some of the models, but we can't drive/crash/shoot/control them using that retrieved data (let alone not crash the game) - there is the complex preparation side of it that is what takes ages to crack.

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:56 PM Edited by simkas, 20 February 2009 - 09:07 PM.

QUOTE (Suction Testicle Man @ Feb 20 2009, 20:50)
Enough has been decoded to be able to locate various models' geometry and load it in a simple viewer, but there is far more complexity to the format than just the geometry. It may be possible to move a few triangles around using a hex editor and knowledge of the right addresses, but due to the nature of hex editing far more needs to be decoded before various dependencies can be recognised. You can pull a Lego model to bits to find one brick easily, but rebuilding it exactly how it was again is going to be much harder. tounge.gif

In other words; yes we can view some of the models, but we can't drive/crash/shoot/control them using that retrieved data (let alone not crash the game) - there is the complex preparation side of it that is what takes ages to crack.

Well, what about separating those "geometries" that ped or character models are made up into seperate files? And maybe changing the format from for example wdd into wdr?

BigBANGtheory
  • BigBANGtheory

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Would it not be a good idea to spend sometime educating the community on what to look for and what would be a help should people want to help?

It sounds to me as through there is unlikely to be a magic bullet or breakthrough rather a comination of hard work that needs to come together into a tool or script.

Rob.Zombie
  • Rob.Zombie

Sgt.Kanyo

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Yeah I'd help if I could in any way. Just make things very clear and simple in what to do and where. Anyway good luck with finding a solution. A 300C is coming in GTA SA and I want it in my IV biggrin.gif

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:49 PM Edited by pinky, 10 March 2009 - 08:20 AM.

Links removed by request of Oleg.

jjcoolj91
  • jjcoolj91

"Snipin's a good job mate...Challenging Work."

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (pinky @ Feb 22 2009, 07:49)
For anyone wanting a look at the hierarchy of the new vehicles I have created a small pack in ZM2 format so you don't need to purchase it for the import feature. I have also included the necessary texture files, converted to dds so they could be imported into ZM2 while importing the models. Saves on re assigning later. wink.gif
To use just extract the folder in your c: drive to keep the file associations, unless you know how to use Zmod2 allready then you can put them anywhere you like and set the folder in services/texture options.
Get ZM2 here:  http://www.zmodeler2...?mode=downloads
Examples here:  REMOVED ON REQUEST.

Some of the alphas aren't working or set up and the normal probably aren't supported but you will get the general idea.

awesome stuff, everything looks great, too bad no one can find the skinning for ped/models though

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (BWARazor @ Feb 4 2009, 14:28)
Can we have a link to any of these Forums? id like to see also the little progresses and the worthless things!

Heres the link to his forum(zmodelerforum)
http://forum.zmodele...pic.php?p=18469
But i see no progress yet...

teknogeek
  • teknogeek

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:41 AM

Can someone upload/pm me a link to the max import script? It seems the link is dead sad.gif

Gen0cide_
  • Gen0cide_

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Tru-Swagg @ Feb 20 2009, 06:12)
It seems the .wdr lose their UV Co-Ords when you export them from the viewer.  Any way to prevent this, or trick it?

The UV co-ords are stored in the same area as the collision data and skinning nodes are stored, and we have yet to decrypt those parts.
EDIT: By collision data I am referring to the fact that GTA4 stores its dynamic crash info in it's model files, these decide how much damage cam be applied to each part of the car.

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

What about map models? Can someone make a post about map files and outline anything maybe I missed in all these pages? blush.gif

Gen0cide_
  • Gen0cide_

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (chngdman @ Mar 12 2009, 14:06)
What about map models? Can someone make a post about map files and outline anything maybe I missed in all these pages? blush.gif

Map models are in a completely different formant, but I believe they are much simpler. Do some digging, I'm pretty sure someone has already cracked them.

Rob.Zombie
  • Rob.Zombie

Sgt.Kanyo

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

But if map models had been cracked then why wouldn't they already have posted the configuration here? Anyway good luck guys on importing new models to IV. turn.gif

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (chngdman @ Mar 12 2009, 14:06)

go look over Here wink.gif

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

very nice! Thank you! This should mean that the ability to export will lead to import to the game, right? (like, the hard part is cracking the format, not buildng your own once you know how to read it, right?)

Gen0cide_
  • Gen0cide_

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Sort of, basically its a lot easier to take models from the game, as you don't need to understand most of the info to do with how GTA4 uses the game. Stuff like damage maps, and shaders and so on don't need to be understood. Only the actual model, bones and hierarchy need to be extracted.

It is a big step towards import though.

Costar
  • Costar

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

So am I understanding, you can export vehicle models and edit (save), but there is no way yet to import edited vehicle models back to GTA IV, is it a program limitation or is it a problem w/ re-encrypting the file to work w/ the game or ?

Tornronim
  • Tornronim

Gunsmith

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Costar @ Apr 6 2009, 21:46)
So am I understanding, you can export vehicle models and edit (save), but there is no way yet to import edited vehicle models back to GTA IV, is it a program limitation or is it a problem w/ re-encrypting the file to work w/ the game or ?

A problem with getting it in the correct format that the game can read, like the real time damage as the guy above said. But since when you export it from the game you only need to read the .IMG files you don't need to understand the actual file format too much, as far as I know anyway suicidal.gif . Or if he was talking about importing it into some 3d modeling program it's still easier since you only really need the model, UV coordinates, skinning information and the hierarchy (and dummies but they aren't really necessary if you weren't going to put it back), not all the game specific stuff like damage. I've probably just complicated that and infected it with incorrect crap sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users