Photo

Commandline.txt?

6 replies to this topic
zpeakerz
  • zpeakerz

Browser

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

I've been reading through the forum, and alot are talking about the "commandline.txt" and "parimeters".

What are these, and how do I get them to work on making my GTA 4 experience better?

Thanks

Kovad
  • Kovad

I ain't no saint

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

You can create a Text File called "commandline.txt" , in the root folder of GTAIV (in e.g: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTAIV) and put those "parameters" in there.

you just type the parameters in the text file with the "-" before them like:

-norestrictions, -minspecaudio etc.

For all parameters and their definitions, look around, i don't have them all in my mind.

zpeakerz
  • zpeakerz

Browser

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

Okay.. Is it right, that if my GTA 4 runs fairly smooth at this point with medium/low graphics, I shouldn't mess around with parameters? The way I understand them is that they make the game able to play at a higher setting than Rockstar intended for my system..

Kovad
  • Kovad

I ain't no saint

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:08 PM Edited by Kovad, 11 December 2008 - 05:11 PM.

Depends.

For example, the parameter "-norestrictions" removes the limit on your graphic settings, which was put by the game engine itself, depending how good your PC is.

But there are some parameters that boost the FPS, giving you a smoother gameplay, by taking out some game features, which i didn't find out yet. biggrin.gif

If your happy with the way your game is playing, no need to mess with it. If you want more eyecandy, you can use -norestrictions, or if you want smoother gameplay use -novblank or -minspecaudio etc.

Regards.

EDIT: Typoes

bidji
  • bidji

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

@zpeakerz
they can also be used to circumvent some issues you might have with the game, but yes, if it does run decently on your computer and you're happy with the way it looks, you can leave the command line parameters alone. smile.gif

jackusCTB
  • jackusCTB

Peon

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

@OP I suggest you, if it doesn't work, to add these commands:
-availablevidmem 2.0 If that doesn't work, try increasing the number to one of the following.
-availablevidmem 3.0
-availablevidmem 4.0
-availablevidmem 5.0
-availablevidmem 6.0
etc.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (jackusCTB @ Thursday, Dec 6 2012, 18:24)
@OP I suggest you, if it doesn't work, to add these commands:
-availablevidmem 2.0 If that doesn't work, try increasing the number to one of the following.
-availablevidmem 3.0
-availablevidmem 4.0
-availablevidmem 5.0
-availablevidmem 6.0
etc.

That is a specific command to allow system ram to be used to increase available graphics memory. Nowadays, as many graphics cards have 1Gb or more ram already, there is not any point in using it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users