Quantcast

» «
Photo

My game now works great, here's what I did...

26 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Ok so a lot of people are trying a lot of different things, some work and some don't. Let's cut to the chase.

My specs:

Windows XP, service pack 3
AMD 64, 2.4GHz
2 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 GTS

and when I first got my game up and running I ran into all the usual issues; screwed up textures and frame rates and in-accessible display options.

When I began looking for solutions, I think I started where most people start and that's playing around with all these launch commands to force certain tweaks within the game.
It looks like the first thing most people do is launch the game with "-norestrictions" and/or "-nomemrestrict"

I found that I can fix nearly all my problems with the game by launching under some specific commands and not touching the ingame graphics options at all. But when I add "-norestrictions" then my biggest problems (textures loading slowly or not at all and poor draw distance) remained unchanged.

So avoid using "-norestrictions" as a graphics work-around.
Instead, use ""-nomemrestrict" or "-availablevidmem."
With "-availablevidmem" you have to put a value behind it which is indicated by your GPU memory, for instance I would type "-availablevidmem 512" for my 512MB card.

After that, go ahead and figure out the rest of your most optimal graphics settings (while ingame) and apply those to your command line. From then on just launch the game with commands and don't even enter the graphics options window.
My command line currently looks like this:

-nomemrestrict -novblank -framelimit -texturequality=1 -renderquality=2 -detailquality=99 -shadowdensity=1 -viewdistance=50 -width=1280 -height=1024

And my game now looks great. I could do with more AA but it's very playable now, textures don't look like poop and never fail to load, draw distance never suffers, frames are up to par (30+).

I should mention one other thing but I'm not sure if it's appropriate. I was desperate to get this game to play and not have wasted 50 bucks so I'm also running with a hacked executable.
I can't provide links but if you search Fedor proper you may come across a cracked EXE that allows you to bypass the SecuROM/DRM and run the game without that invasive junk. This has probably contributed a lot to making the game run smoother since that bloated crap isn't running behind it.

also, I play with the 30 Second Replay thing turned OFF. I heard that, because the game has to keep a small memory of what you do during any given 30-second period, it can cause more slow-ups.
one more thing. I never login to the Social Club. I always play offline.

hydrophoenix
  • hydrophoenix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

I would like to confirm that this worked for me, I get a higher framerate now, but its not as smooth as it was, even tho it was running at a low framerate, definitely an improvement tho. I'll play around with some settings some more

Cylon
  • Cylon

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

No matter what I'll set in the commandline (I mean, view distance, object distance, textures etc.) in game I always have everything on low and all sliders to max left. I don't know why, it seems that some people got it working.

NiTrOUs3D
  • NiTrOUs3D

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Cylon @ Dec 9 2008, 00:27)
No matter what I'll set in the commandline (I mean, view distance, object distance, textures etc.) in game I always have everything on low and all sliders to max left. I don't know why, it seems that some people got it working.

Same here.

Zharay
  • Zharay

Some Videogame Sh*t Right There.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

Using the commands can be a crap shoot. I'm teetering back and forth between playable and complete crap each time I try something new.

Something that is working for me is to not include -nomemrestrict at all. The game starts to run out of memory completely, using the HDs to store and retrieve data, bringing my game down to a crawl.

Also to add, -availablevidmem is a percentage. 1 = 100%. 0.9 = 90%. My 8800 GTX has 768 MB of RAM on it, yet the game defaults to only use 740 of it. Increasing it to 1.03 nets me 762, enough for Vista to dick around with. I don't notice any gains doing this. It just makes the game accept higher settings.

GTAander
  • GTAander

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (Zharay @ Dec 9 2008, 00:45)
Also to add, -availablevidmem is a percentage. 1 = 100%. 0.9 = 90%. My 8800 GTX has 768 MB of RAM on it, yet the game defaults to only use 740 of it. Increasing it to 1.03 nets me 762, enough for Vista to dick around with. I don't notice any gains doing this. It just makes the game accept higher settings.

I was wondering about that, thanks. cool.gif

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

I'll add a little update to this.

Unfortunately, yes, I'm aware that for some people it seems that forcing the game to tweak the graphics through command lines just doesn't work. Completely random and who knows why (probably something they have in common, hardware/drivers/etc).

But for those that it works, I found something to add.

I've added "/high" to my launch commands. What this does is force your computer to run GTA4 on "high" priority for your system resources. This means all your available (not currently in use) system power will go to GTA4. For me, this improved my game EVEN MORE. I gained a noticeable framerate jump.

Remember, this particular line is entered with a forward slash, NOT a dash like the others. I just added it to the very end of my line. So mine now looks like this, for example:

-nomemrestrict -novblank -framelimit -texturequality=1 -renderquality=2 -detailquality=99 -shadowdensity=1 -viewdistance=50 -width=1280 -height=1024 /high

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Facade Corporation
  • Bhutan

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

hmm I'll try your command line out since we have same ram, and similar cpu.

Deruu
  • Deruu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

This was my result:
user posted image

It runs best without any command lines for me, which still isn't good enough.

x_orange90_x
  • x_orange90_x

masterofpuppets

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

i would advise against changing the priority of the game with "/high"

changing the priority of any application can cause system instability, errors, and bad performance. priority set higher than Normal forces the system to dedicate resources (in use or not) to an application exclusively. though it may work for some people, others may experience adverse effects if they are trying to get the game running smooth.

if you still want to do it, go ahead, but be careful, and one thing for sure, do not ever set any application to Very High priority.. it will likely cause Windows to slow to a crawl and possibly crash. i have tried messing with priority before in numerous cases and it wasnt helpful. but again, for some people it may work fine, so try it if you really feel it will work for you.

punisher.ita
  • punisher.ita

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, genius... you game goes better... just because those command lines are bugged and 99 results in 1 in game (max is 98 through command line)... so lowest details possible... good game.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, genius... you game goes better... just because those command lines are bugged and 99 results in 1 in game (max is 98 through command line)... so lowest details possible... good game.

cry about it....
my render details are on High and textures are on Medium and it looks awesome @ 1280x1024 for me.

I'm just posting this here because if it helped only one other person then it was worth it. A lot of people find a solution then just run off and play and never bother to tell anyone about it.

moral of the story: troll elsehwere.

MicroBit
  • MicroBit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Let it be noted also, that using command line arguements FOOLS your game to use those settings. Hence the Graphics-panel in your settings displays false info.

But if you try to max out your settings too much, you might get crap. I tried to up my texture quality to 3 and got quality value of -2, if you "catch my drift".

anusthegreat
  • anusthegreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

Which .exe file do I add the launch parameters to? >_<
Sorry for bein' a dumbf*ck, but I have added that stuff to all the .exe files in the GTA 4 directory and it doesn't rly seem to change the settings.

roont
  • roont

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:42 PM Edited by roont, 09 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.

QUOTE (anusthegreat @ Dec 9 2008, 13:56)
Sorry for bein' a dumbf*ck,  but I have added that stuff to all the .exe files in the GTA 4 directory and it doesn't rly seem to change the settings.

you need to add these parameters to a SHORTCUT to the GTA4Launcher.exe.

if its not there already, create a shortcut to that file on your desktop, go properties, and then where it says 'target executable' or something like that it will say "c:\program...gta4"

and then enter your items after the quotation marks so it looks like:

Target Executable: "C:\Program Files...Rockstar\Gta4Launcher.exe" -texturedetail4 -height 1920 -with 1080

or with whatever parameters you want to put.

ALSO NOTE!!!: as far as i know, you need to log into the social club before opening the shortcut mentioned above. do NOT open the game through the "Play" button in the social club window. so, open and log into social club, minimize, run shortcut to gta4launncher

to leave some feedback myself, putting it in windowed mode significanlty improved performance, but its still kinda crappy. the shadows jump all over the place and buildings are just boxes until you get close up, but its at a playable framerate (whereas fullscreen it wasnt). im hoping this patch coming out wednesday will help and im gunna try a few other parameters as mentioned above.

MicroBit
  • MicroBit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (roont @ Dec 9 2008, 14:42)
QUOTE (anusthegreat @ Dec 9 2008, 13:56)
Sorry for bein' a dumbf*ck,  but I have added that stuff to all the .exe files in the GTA 4 directory and it doesn't rly seem to change the settings.

if its not there already, create a shortcut to that file on your desktop, go properties, and then where it says 'target executable' or something like that it will say "c:\program...gta4"

and then enter your items after the quotation marks so it looks like:

Target Executable: "C:\Program Files...Rockstar\Gta4Launcher.exe" -texturedetail4 -height 1920 -with 1080

or with whatever parameters you want to put.

ALSO NOTE!!!: as far as i know, you need to log into the social club before opening the shortcut mentioned above. do NOT open the game through the "Play" button in the social club window. so, open and log into social club, minimize, run shortcut to gta4launncher

to leave some feedback myself, putting it in windowed mode significanlty improved performance, but its still kinda crappy. the shadows jump all over the place and buildings are just boxes until you get close up, but its at a playable framerate (whereas fullscreen it wasnt). im hoping this patch coming out wednesday will help and im gunna try a few other parameters as mentioned above.

OR you could simply just make a 'commandline.txt' in your GTA folder and put the parameters there. It'll read those no matter what.

punisher.ita
  • punisher.ita

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Dec 9 2008, 07:03)

cry about it....
my render details are on High and textures are on Medium and it looks awesome @ 1280x1024 for me.

I'm just posting this here because if it helped only one other person then it was worth it. A lot of people find a solution then just run off and play and never bother to tell anyone about it.

moral of the story: troll elsehwere.

So you did nothing and your game goes better... yeah mate...

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

did nothing?

Are you blind or just stupid? I listed the entire set of steps I took to remedy my problem which included a lot of trial and error.

Look I get it. I can tell from your sig you're one of those pissed off, frustrated people who couldn't get the game to work so now you're boycotting Rockstar (which won't change a damn thing, in case you were thinking it would). But that doesn't give you the right to come in here and act like a douche and rain on the parade of people who are still holding out their hope.
We're all in this together, trying to fix these problems second-hand until Rockstar does something official.

I know your mommy probably told you this but apparently it didn't stick: if you have nothing positive to add to a conversation, then stay out of it.

anusthegreat
  • anusthegreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:22 PM Edited by anusthegreat, 09 December 2008 - 08:34 PM.

Pro, thanks. I knew that way, already made it on my own. Thanks for makin' me sure I'm on the right way anyway, <3.

OR you could simply just make a 'commandline.txt' in your GTA folder and put the parameters there. It'll read those no matter what.

Didn't know 'bout the second way of doin' that. That's cool, thanks for announcin' it.
Btw, does the commandline.txt work for all the applications of the system, or only for those ones, which have the specified info inside to read that? *curios*

*edit.

Do I put the necessary parameters into the commandline.txt the way it's said before (-nomemrestrict) or lane by lane?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

you just enter your commands straight into the text document. just start typing them the same way you would otherwise, type the code, add a space, then another. straight across, don't hit Enter after each one. if the notepad creates a new line that's fine but just enter them straight.

TheGamerXxX
  • TheGamerXxX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

ok I did the Following

Disabled SecureRom... got 9FPS
I suggest everybody tries to get rid of JUST SecureRom and see what kind of gains they get... I cant believe something like that hogs so many resources.
Put settings like you said:
High
Highest
0 (shadows R Ghey)

and am Now getting over 30FPS outside (Average 32ish when driving)

Luke

anusthegreat
  • anusthegreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Average FPS: 14.05
Duration: 37.86 sec
CPU Usage: 93%
System memory usage: 89%
Video memory usage: 91%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1024 x 640 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 51
Detail Distance: 61

AND

Average FPS: 16.77
Duration: 37.44 sec
CPU Usage: 91%
System memory usage: 88%
Video memory usage: 67%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1024 x 640 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Render Quality: Low
View Distance: 1
Detail Distance: 1

Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Realtek High Definition Audio
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-66

arathad
  • arathad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (TheGamerXxX @ Dec 9 2008, 23:14)
ok I did the Following

I suggest everybody tries to get rid of JUST SecureRom and see what kind of gains they get... I cant believe something like that hogs so many resources.
High
Highest
0 (shadows R Ghey)

Luke

how can I disable securom?

Lorodrins
  • Lorodrins

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (arathad @ Dec 10 2008, 17:41)
ok I did the Following

High
Highest
0 (shadows R Ghey)

Luke

yes please i'm also curious about it tounge.gif

if u cant write it here , pls pm me

arathad
  • arathad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Lorodrins @ Dec 10 2008, 17:46)
QUOTE (arathad @ Dec 10 2008, 17:41)
ok I did the Following

High
Highest
0 (shadows R Ghey)

Luke

yes please i'm also curious about it tounge.gif

if u cant write it here , pls pm me

sarcasm.gif me2 plax plox

(r)Evolution
  • (r)Evolution

The grand design

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:54 PM Edited by (r)Evolution, 10 December 2008 - 05:57 PM.

edit: LOL lol.gif , put this in the wrong thread, sorry for my extreme-noobiness blush.gif

Maybe you can use a crack to to cripple SuckURom?... disabling rootkits ain't illegal, actually it's VERY healthy for your computer lol.

Lorodrins
  • Lorodrins

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

^ bump

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users