Issues with wireless 360 controller

78 replies to this topic
Stewerd
  • Stewerd

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (LentoMan @ Dec 9 2008, 00:30)
Guys guys...I just figured it out how to make the analog triggers work!

Just search your registry for the joypad name appearing in Game Controllers in controlpanel. You'll end up at some key similar to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_F51A

Next to OEMName will be the name of your joypad. Right click "OEMName" select modify Enter (exactly as here):
XNA Gamepad

Make sure that the name changes in Game Controllers in control panel.

Now start the game enjoy analog triggers! smile.gif

You are my new favorite.

Now, I can be happy that I didn't buy that controller for nothing.

jb99
  • jb99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:58 AM Edited by jb99, 15 December 2008 - 02:15 AM.

EDIT: ignore

Hraptor
  • Hraptor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Just search your registry for the joypad name appearing in Game Controllers in controlpanel. You'll end up at some key similar to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_F51A

Next to OEMName will be the name of your joypad. Right click "OEMName" select modify Enter (exactly as here):
XNA Gamepad

YOU GENIUS How did you figure??

moarmoz
  • moarmoz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

XNA Gamepad

Hey thanks for that but it isn't working for me mate, I have a Logitech Chillstream (basically the the same as Xbox 360 controller), and the triggers act as buttons too.

I enter the registry like you said and navigated to the joystick folder, but there's a lot of VID keys and I'm not sure why. Only of of them has a OEMname. Here's a pic;

user posted image

Can you please help me smile.gif

Should I just delete all the other keys? Or reinstall the driver?

Hraptor
  • Hraptor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Moarmoz i'll give you a tip: I have the microsoft 360 wireless Controller but maybe it will help you too:

When you change the OEMName entry from "Xbox blabla..." into "XNA Gamepad" keep in mind that you might have to do that not on just 1 registry folder but on many. In my case i kept using the "Find" function and entering "OEMName". The registry found circa 4-5 entries with that name and i had to change them all until it actually displayed in the control panel as XNA Gamepad and then actually worked (A reboot could be needed).

If you are sure you changed all the entries and the name also changed in the control panel, then i would blame it on logitech? I don't know.. Let us know

MrKlorox
  • MrKlorox

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

It should be CurrentControlSet... not ControlSet001. That's why many of you cannot get it working correctly.

Also, my older Neo SE generic wired 360 controller behaves even weirder. The triggers are analog while driving (acceleration/braking), but digital while on foot (no half-pull for manual aim). Also while using the right analog stick to adjust the locked-on aim, instead of about a foot and a half radius free aim adjustment, I get like 10 or 15 feet worth of adjustment. That cannot be right.

muhahaha
  • muhahaha

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Thank you LentoMan, my 360 wireless controller works perfectly!
However, i found the key of my controller in "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5.....000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_045E&PID_0719" by following Hraptor's way.

on the other hand, i barely feel vibration in gta4, is there any way to fix it?

zeroangel
  • zeroangel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Dude... you f---ing rule. I like to think I am pretty smart with computers, hell I work in the IT industry and have some years of coding experience. I was banging my head against a wall for nearly 2 days over this.

I should have just come to this forum alot sooner. Thank you very much!

oskarki
  • oskarki

DOOVDE!!!!111111ONEONEONE

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

I made a video tutorial for those of you that don't get LentoMan's über-easy instructions.

Dvt-MedShot
  • Dvt-MedShot

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

THANKS LentoMan! The path was right until ...\OEM\, but that doesn't really matter, because searching for one item with Xbox 360 Controller in it, is easy.
First, it didn't help, but moarmaz had the same problem as me and Hraptor gave the solution, so also thanks to you also, mate! wink.gif

Thanks alot, again. wink.gif

dale303
  • dale303

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

The registry fix does not work for me at all.

Vista 64/Xbox 360 wireless controller.

Back to the old drawing board...

I've also got a Logitech Rumblepad II that also has it's own issues. If I have a crash (car accident), it crashes the game too.

Moa
  • Moa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Anyone know if it works with Microsofts Play and charge Kit?

I do get driver installation and all, but it doesnt appear in the controller registry.

RobCardIV
  • RobCardIV

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:32 AM Edited by RobCardIV, 05 August 2009 - 02:35 AM.

what do we do if we are using NON 360 , Xbox controllers?

I see a million vid folders.
how the hell do i know which one to change?

I use XBCD.dll drivers

It looks like
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
\VID_0738&PID_4516

may be the correct folder.

Rawmeat
  • Rawmeat

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Just gotta say... Start your wireless 360 controller BEFORE launching the game. I have to do just that, else the triggers don't work properly.

theartfulbadger
  • theartfulbadger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I wanted to add to this.

I used to suffer from this problem often. I temporarily resolved it with the registry fix detailed above, but it came back.

I have found that (even with no modification to the registry) as long as I plug in the controller after windows has finished booting and before I start GTA, the triggers function perfectly. I suspect it might be something related to hot-swappability, but I'm certainly no expert, so I'll leave it at that.

Edit: also just to be clear, I use a wired xbox 360 controller.

maddjoe
  • maddjoe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

hey i have a logitech f710 which can be detected as an Xbox 360 controller while it's on xinput and it have triggers in RT and LT and it works as analog on other games like TDU 2 and AC3 and Prototype but it's not working as analogs in GTA IV i tried changing the from "Controller (Wireless Gamepad F710)" to "XNA Gamepad" but didn't work can someone please help me?

maddjoe
  • maddjoe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

i finally managed to get the name to XNA gamepad on game controllers window but it still act as buttons not triggers there is no any difference someone help me

a-k-t-w
  • a-k-t-w

Wannabe GTA IV Dev

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

make sure the controller is on and connected before launching the game.

maddjoe
  • maddjoe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (a-k-t-w @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 15:10)
make sure the controller is on and connected before launching the game.

it is already connected and the controller works but RT and LT are still buttons i really need to drive slow and free aiming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users