Photo

Issues with wireless 360 controller

78 replies to this topic
rg7621
  • rg7621

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:59 AM

Ok, this really pisses me off. I'm in the same boat. I dropped $65 to get the full functionality of a controller with this game, since the PC controls are screwed (almost like they weren't taken into account at all from a PC gamers stand point, straight port) and not even this works 100%! A f*cking $65 purchase for a controller doesn't work correct. angry.gif

I notice the lack of analog control with the triggers for driving (Haven't noticed the freeaim, because I'm using mouse for combat/shooting only).

It's full throttle or no throttle / Full brake or no brake. To have this lack of analog control for a game with actually very solid driving physics is a waste.

If this isn't fixed via a patch....I don't know what to say. I already opened it and as far as I know, can't return it to Circut City. 65 f'ing dollars.

PLEASE report this to Rockstar . Actually call them. I will definitely be calling. We need a good chunk of people reporting this problem.

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:25 AM Edited by MMhardKy, 08 December 2008 - 05:50 AM.

Hello, besides the analog trigger issue, I have another problem with my x360 wirelles controllers. Could you guys check if you get the same?

When walking, the right analog stick for the camera view works reeeeaaaaaaly slow and the back button saves the clip immediately after I press it, so I save a clip everytime I change view. (it is supposed to save after I hold it pressed for a second).
Also the vibration doesn't work....

BUT...

The strange thing is it happens right after I press any key on the keyboard to controll the character or car in game, if I start the game playing with the controller only, this problem does not occur, vibration works, right stick works, back button works as it is supposed to. The second I touch the keyboard while playing, the problems start. I noticed that the game detects if you are using the keyboards or the controller, because depending on that, it gives you advice how to control the game like "press button B" instead of "press the F key".

This problem is really anoying as I want to use the controller but also the keyboard in some parts of the game.

EDIT:

I tested it on a fresh installation of Windows XP with just latest drivers for my hardware and GTA4.

C2D [email protected]
2x GTX280OC
4GB DDR2@1020MHz
Nforce 780i

apocalek
  • apocalek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:38 AM Edited by apocalek, 08 December 2008 - 05:50 AM.

I have the same problem with wireless controller, triggers work as a button, so no free aim when right trigger is pressed half way and no acceleration control while driving.

ITS NOT DRIVERS, I PLAYED GTA SA with saac 1.2, fallout 3, GRID with the same controller on same system and it works just fine,
So it is the game!
i also called few friends and everyone has this problem.
also Vibration works only when you drunk, or there is heavy rain and lightnings.(i think, or maybe Nicko was just drunk * he likes that vodka on the rocks*)

Xbox 360 Wireless controller & xbox windows receiver .

win xp sp3
dual core 2.8
9800gx2
4 gb ram 800

rg7621
  • rg7621

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:08 AM

UPDATE

Ok, I just called Rockstar US and reported the problem.

I spoke to an extremely nice guy about it (Cheers to that dude wink.gif ). I was actually the first to bring up this issue (he checked with others).

-----
I told him...
- It is not OS specific (shows up in vista/xp)
- Wireless specific, as it has been reported the wired controller works 100%
- Tried this controller on another game without any issue, so it is specific to this game.
----
NOTE (I forgot to mention the FREE-AIM/Trigger issue, so someone bring that up as well since it's related to the same issue. The example I used was full/no throttle)

I also asked him if it would help if others would call in about this same issue and he said yes. This is what I called....

For US Support
Phone: 1-866-405-5464
Email: [email protected]

I got a case number and he said I should hear back from them within 24 hours (probably via email).

He also gave me this email address for further complaints ([email protected]).

Again, PLEASE call them and let them know this is a REAL problem (It only takes 5 minutes of your time). If we act fast maybe this can be fixed in the first patch.

When some of you call (you better!) please post here with your own update and fill us in.

THANKS!

P.S. Tell him, the dude from New Orleans says Hi tounge2.gif

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

Can somehow please confirm or denie if the problems I described happen to him? thx!

apocalek
  • apocalek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:23 AM

i can conform that triggers dont work correctly.
and you are saying that if you dont use keyboard or mice at all triggers work fine?

so how you do it?
you besicaly start the game and you dont touch anything beside controller? Because i tested that and it dosent work it seems.

rg7621
  • rg7621

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:34 AM

I just tried loading the game without touching my keyboard, but it makes no difference on my end. However I don't have a problem with turn the view to the left or right. It moves as it should (about 1 second to look 90 degree's L or R). I didnt check capture, cause I don't use it and don't know what to look for. Looks like you have an entirely different problem.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:53 AM Edited by nattog, 08 December 2008 - 06:56 AM.

@ MMhardKy I think you are the only one experiencing this problem. i can freely go from keyboard and mouse to controller with no problems, for a while this was the only way i could free aim... you didnt mention if you have serivce pack 3 for windows xp, thats the only thing i can think of

oh yea. i also sent R* an email about the wireless issue with the triggers, so hopefully it gets thrown into a future patch.

Lugoosi
  • Lugoosi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:40 AM Edited by Lugoosi, 08 December 2008 - 08:45 AM.

I have the wired version of Xbox 360 controller and the triggers act like buttons here too. Otherwise it works perfectly (except the "run toggle" doesn't work/game bug?).
Official 1.1 drivers installed and every other xinput game works like a charm (Gears of War, Bioshock, Grid, etc.).

EDIT: Running Windows XP (32-bit) SP3 + newest drivers and updates.

ammokay
  • ammokay

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

I purchased a wireless Xbox Controller just for GTA4 in the first place and i have the same issue with the triggers behaving as buttons. However, playing other games with it (Tombraider Underworld for example) the triggers work perfectly pressure sensitive.

Let's hope this gets fixed.

'mkay

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (apocalek @ Dec 8 2008, 06:23)
i can conform that triggers dont work correctly.
and you are saying that if you dont use keyboard or mice at all triggers work fine?

so how you do it?
you besicaly start the game and you dont touch anything beside controller? Because i tested that and it dosent work it seems.

The analog triggers act as buttons no matter what. The other issues start as soon as I touch the keyboard. I honestly don§t know how is it possible that I'm the only one experiencing the problems. I reinstalled EVERYTHING. (and yes, I have SP3)
Hmmmm....

I really doubt it's caused by my controller. This cannot be a hardware issue if its working correctly in every other game. The only thing I will try is connect the reciever directly, I have it via USB hub now.

rg7621
  • rg7621

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

Guys, wth? Don't HOPE it will get fixed. Pick up your phone and CALL THEM. I was the FIRST to bring this issue to their attention. If I had not called, they would have no idea about this issue, so your hoping does absolutely no good.

It seems only one guy has acted so far (nattog emailed, thank you, but I don't know how affective that method is cause they are probably swamped with emails, since everyone emails instead of talking face to face. Calling is the most effective method.)

Guys, pick up your phone and dial...

For US Support
Phone: 1-866-405-5464

For Canadian Support
Phone: 1-800-269-5721

For UK Support
Phone: 08701 200060

It takes 5 minutes of your time, they couldn't be any friendlier, and it's a 1-800 number so it doesn't cost you sh*t.

Take action instead of discussing it on a forum and hoping it will magically get fixed.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not calling them, because I don't trust them to fix the problem. Why wait for them to patch it when I can just go out and buy a wired controller used, and it'll work perfectly? I'll just sell my wireless controller and receiver on craigslist for more than the amount it costs to buy a used wired controller anyway, so it's not like I'm losing out on anything.

Stewerd
  • Stewerd

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

It works with the wireless if you have the wireless receiver.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Stewerd @ Dec 8 2008, 21:57)

No. It doesn't.

The controller functions, yes. But the analog triggers only register as normal buttons in this game, therefore no pressure sensitive acceleration/braking, and no manual aiming with the controller when you hold down L. It only targets people.

Stewerd
  • Stewerd

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 8 2008, 21:58)
QUOTE (Stewerd @ Dec 8 2008, 21:57)

No. It doesn't.

The controller functions, yes. But the analog triggers only register as normal buttons in this game, therefore no pressure sensitive acceleration/braking, and no manual aiming with the controller when you hold down L. It only targets people.

The patch/other updates will fix this problem. Makes no sence returning the controllers now. suicidal.gif

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

I see the patch notes, but I'm not convinced it's going to be fixed. I've seen this before from companies who can't figure out the difference between the wireless 360 controller and the wired. And frankly I'm sick of relying on them to fix the problem. If I can solve it myself (which I can in this instance,) I'll go that route.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

I just hope that they make steering wheels compatible. Is it worth calling them to suggest that? If you guys can convince me, I might do it haha.

LentoMan
  • LentoMan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

Guys guys...I just figured it out how to make the analog triggers work!

Just search your registry for the joypad name appearing in Game Controllers in controlpanel. You'll end up at some key similar to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_F51A

Next to OEMName will be the name of your joypad. Right click "OEMName" select modify Enter (exactly as here):
XNA Gamepad

Make sure that the name changes in Game Controllers in control panel.

Now start the game enjoy analog triggers! smile.gif

apocalek
  • apocalek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

LentoMan

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!
WHERE YOU LIVE AND I WILL SEND MY GF TO GIVE U A BJ!!!!!!!
dude thnx for this tip.
wireless controller works corectly now!!

AGAIN YOU ARE GOD!@!!!!!!

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:15 AM Edited by MMhardKy, 09 December 2008 - 02:17 AM.

QUOTE (LentoMan @ Dec 9 2008, 00:30)
Guys guys...I just figured it out how to make the analog triggers work!

Just search your registry for the joypad name appearing in Game Controllers in controlpanel. You'll end up at some key similar to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_F51A

Next to OEMName will be the name of your joypad. Right click "OEMName" select modify Enter (exactly as here):
XNA Gamepad

Make sure that the name changes in Game Controllers in control panel.

Now start the game enjoy analog triggers! smile.gif

If this works, you're better than Rockstar.

How did you figure it out?

It's kinda sad that guys like you are helping us more than the developer.
Thank you!

Let's see if it also solves my problem with the right analog stick and back button as I described earlier.

rg7621
  • rg7621

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

Awesome man! This does indeed work.

This was my slightly different path..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_045E&PID_0719

XNA Gamepad (Instead of "Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)" )

I think we all owe LentoMan a beer Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif !

Just installed my gtx260 and thanks to you I have a fully functional gamepad. Tis going to be a fun night!

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:20 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 09 December 2008 - 04:22 AM.

I hope this issue gets fixed in the patch because this is very annoying not being able to use manual aim mainly but it would be nice to be able to control the throttle as well.

Edit: LentoMan thanks for the fix!

But still R* needs to fix a thing or two in the patch tounge.gif .

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

Great find man, very well done. Did it in my registry and now the wireless controller works perfectly. Massive amounts of cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif 's to you!

jb99
  • jb99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:15 AM Edited by jb99, 09 December 2008 - 05:22 AM.

EDIT: I confirm the fix works too. Thanks!

Different wireless receiver manufacturers? Who knows. Sounds like the bug is MS' fault, and Rockstars shabby testing for not finding that the wireless receivers may have a different value for that field. Shabby all around.

I called rockstar about the issue. The fellow said he had heard of it, but had "to look into it" and would email me back (someday). I suggest everyone calls / emails them or we will never see a proper fix.

LentoMan
  • LentoMan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

I haven't tested these, but these exact names should probably also work inplace of XNA Gamepad:
XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)
Microsoft Xbox Wired Gamepad (Controller)
Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)

swissMAG
  • swissMAG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:07 AM Edited by swissMAG, 09 December 2008 - 08:09 AM.

@LentoMan
Thanks for the fix. icon14.gif Will try it out, as soon as i get home... Can't wait...
But i have to work for another 8 houres suicidal.gif

I'm glad i didnt have to change a wireless Controller for a old crappy wired one... Wire's sucks...

Thanks you sooo much. biggrin.gif

Greetz

[EDIT] This Fix should be in the beginning of a sticky Thread and marked as FIX!

Galdere
  • Galdere

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

Confirm that works for me also.

Nice one LentoMan.

Cheers

Persanity
  • Persanity

Darth Maul

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:06 AM Edited by Persanity, 10 December 2008 - 03:15 AM.

I did the change exactly as described and it worked 100% perfect. Now, Here is where there is a problem with this fix. If you uninstall the game and reinstall it there triggers are just buttons again. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the controller but that didn't help. I renamed the controller back to Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) from XNA Gamepad and am going to play and see if it works and if it doesn't try the rename fix again. Incase this doesn't work does anybody have any ideas?

Edit: After naming the controller back to its original name, Starting the game, Exiting out to windows then renaming the reg name to Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows) it works again. BTW it is only my opinion cause I don't feel like testing it but I don't think this fix works if you uninstall reinstall and rename the controller the same thinh ie XNA Gamepad didn't work the second time around but Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows) did, So If anybody wants to uninstall and reinstall a few times to check it out be my guest.

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

Has the patch fixed this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users