» «
Photo

Issues with wireless 360 controller

78 replies to this topic
nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:53 AM

ive looked through the posts and i havn't seen this, sorry if it has already been answered. i have a wireless 360 controller and the controller adapter so that i can use the controller for my PC. GTA IV says that the controller is supported and for the most part it works fine, except the problem is that the triggers only seem to act as buttons. so i cannot press the left trigger in half way to manual aim and i have no pressure sensitivity when driving which is a real annoyance. is this the way it is for other people or am i doing something wrong? i can't find any way of changing the controller config in the game, only the keyboard bindings...

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

I have the same problem, and it's pretty aggravating.

I thought "Games For Windows" was supposed to mean a fully functioning Xbox 360 controller in the game. Apparently not.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

arggg... well i sure hope that they fix this because i know that there are other games for windows with the triggers work just fine

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

I'd suggest asking about this and posting / reporting the the official rockstar sticky at the top of the forum (the rocktar toronto post) ... seeing as they are bug fixiing.

This of course if you dont get a fix soon in a different way. I have wired version and its fine thats as best as I can post here so deffo specific to wireless only.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (GTAMonkey2012 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:03)
I'd suggest asking about this and posting / reporting the the official rockstar sticky at the top of the forum (the rocktar toronto post) ... seeing as they are bug fixiing.

This of course if you dont get a fix soon in a different way. I have wired version and its fine thats as best as I can post here so deffo specific to wireless only.

That was going to be my next question. So you have a wired controller and it works fine? Manual aiming, sensitive triggers, etc?

I don't understand what the hell is wrong with Microsoft sometimes, and these companies, because this isn't the first time I've played a game where the wireless controller has issues, but the wired controller works fine. I mean good God, it's the same damn controller except one is wired and one isn't.

I guess I just might go out and buy the wired controller then, I'm sick of messing around with this crap.

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=379477

The contollers sticky thread, maybe this "might" help to test it?

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:16 AM Edited by nattog, 08 December 2008 - 01:23 AM.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=379477

i read most of that forum but didn't see anything abut pressure sensitive triggers. i also read in another forum that the wired controller seems to work fine as far as the trigger issue so who knows. i think i'll just send an email to R* support so i know that they know about the issue.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

When I realized that GTA IV on the PC could not use my G25 Wheel (hoping patch will fix that), I went out to buy a 360 controller. It was the $64.99 wireless one that comes with the wire for charging batteries and stuff. Me being the usual noob that I am, I expected being able to use a wireless controller on my PC via the charging cable plugged into the USB port...I was wrong. You need the wireless controller receiver for Windows in order to use the wireless controller. I didn't want to spend another $20, so I returned the controller for a FULL refund at Gamestop, which was pretty awesome since I opened it..but the manager told me the night before when I bought it that I could should it not work on the PC. I then bought a wired controller, works like a charm.

Also, be sure you get the driver files from Microsoft, otherwise your PC won't recognize the controller.
http://www.microsoft...category=Gaming

Hopefully this post helps you address your problem. If not, I don't know what could be wrong.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

in case i didn't mention it, and i think that i did, i already have the wireless adapter which allows you to use the wireless controller with the PC. i also have all the latest drivers for the wireless adapter. the problem is apparently with the wireless controller or the wireless receiver. i have a friend who has a wired controller so i will have to borrow it and make sure for myself...

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:45 AM Edited by VietnamRebel, 08 December 2008 - 01:48 AM.

QUOTE (nattog @ Dec 8 2008, 01:42)
in case i didn't mention it, and i think that i did, i already have the wireless adapter which allows you to use the wireless controller with the PC. i also have all the latest drivers for the wireless adapter. the problem is apparently with the wireless controller or the wireless receiver.  i have a friend who has a wired controller so i will have to borrow it and make sure for myself...

Oh. Sorry I didn't see that if you did indeed write it in the original post. Now, when I inserted the USB, I let Windows find drivers itself via the Hardware installer. Try that. I have both the Microsoft.com driver and the one it auto-installed for me.

Forgot to mention, did you switch between Classic and Standard controls in the Control menu? Try going to Standard.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

again, i have the latest drivers. and yes, i am using standard controller setup, not classic. plus people have already said that the wired controller does not seem to have this problem.

Bob-o
  • Bob-o

GTA Fanatic

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:05)
QUOTE (GTAMonkey2012 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:03)

That was going to be my next question. So you have a wired controller and it works fine? Manual aiming, sensitive triggers, etc?

I don't understand what the hell is wrong with Microsoft sometimes, and these companies, because this isn't the first time I've played a game where the wireless controller has issues, but the wired controller works fine. I mean good God, it's the same damn controller except one is wired and one isn't.

I guess I just might go out and buy the wired controller then, I'm sick of messing around with this crap.

there's your answer.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

i should have known, the answer is to give M$ more of my money. no surprise there

JBFord4x4
  • JBFord4x4

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:58 AM

So the wired works perfect?

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (JBFord4x4 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:58)
So the wired works perfect?

Yes, it does. Just be sure you get the drivers.

themasher729
  • themasher729

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

i should get my roommates 360 controller just to get a laugh out of it. they didnt even properly support the 360 controller.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (themasher729 @ Dec 8 2008, 02:13)
i should get my roommates 360 controller just to get a laugh out of it. they didnt even properly support the 360 controller.

How so? Mine works fine, and has the same control configuration as it does on the 360.

themasher729
  • themasher729

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (VietnamRebel @ Dec 8 2008, 02:14)

How so? Mine works fine, and has the same control configuration as it does on the 360.

so you didnt read the above problem

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (themasher729 @ Dec 7 2008, 21:17)
QUOTE (VietnamRebel @ Dec 8 2008, 02:14)

so you didnt read the above problem

I read the "above problem" just fine. My wired controller is a real 360 controller, which works completely. Wireless works as well, one of my friends uses a wireless one on the PC and plays GTA IV just fine. Therefor, it is supported.

Maybe you just don't know how to use it, or your PC has issues.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

i think you should check that with your friend, because everyone that i am talking to or reading about online is having the same problem with the trigger buttons as me. my friend is coming over in about an hour with a wired controller so i can make sure for myself

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

Ignore him, some people just can't comprehend problems and use their brain to understand things beyond basic issues.

Anyway, I just called 3 Gamecrazy's next to me, 1 Gamestop, and not one of them had a used wired controller. I'm not paying $40 for a controller so I want to find one used. I guess I'll just buy a used controller, and sell the wireless stuff on craigslist.

Oh and I bet the Xbox 360 headset actually works fine with the wired controller on PC too, as it doesn't work right w/ the wireless. I can hear my friend fine, but I literally have to put the microphone in my mouth for him to hear me. I bet that doesn't happen with the wired controller. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 7 2008, 21:45)
Ignore him, some people just can't comprehend problems and use their brain to understand things beyond basic issues.

Anyway, I just called 3 Gamecrazy's next to me, 1 Gamestop, and not one of them had a used wired controller. I'm not paying $40 for a controller so I want to find one used. I guess I'll just buy a used controller, and sell the wireless stuff on craigslist.

Oh and I bet the Xbox 360 headset actually works fine with the wired controller on PC too, as it doesn't work right w/ the wireless. I can hear my friend fine, but I literally have to put the microphone in my mouth for him to hear me. I bet that doesn't happen with the wired controller. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I was trying to help, but I always got a somewhat rude reply. So when in Rome....

Anyways, my friend's wireless controller works fine. Just tried it out. He is running on Vista though, if that helps anything. I also noticed that he did have the charging cable plugged into the PC and the controller, so it's not running solely on batteries.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (VietnamRebel @ Dec 8 2008, 03:12)

Anyway, I just called 3 Gamecrazy's next to me, 1 Gamestop, and not one of them had a used wired controller. I'm not paying $40 for a controller so I want to find one used.  I guess I'll just buy a used controller, and sell the wireless stuff on craigslist. 

Oh and I bet the Xbox 360 headset actually works fine with the wired controller on PC too, as it doesn't work right w/ the wireless. I can hear my friend fine, but I literally have to put the microphone in my mouth for him to hear me.  I bet that doesn't happen with the wired controller.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I was trying to help, but I always got a somewhat rude reply. So when in Rome....

Anyways, my friend's wireless controller works fine. Just tried it out. He is running on Vista though, if that helps anything. I also noticed that he did have the charging cable plugged into the PC and the controller, so it's not running solely on batteries.

Plugging the charging cable into the PC while using the controller does nothing. All it does is charge the battery, it has no effect on the functionality of the controller.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 7 2008, 22:23)
QUOTE (VietnamRebel @ Dec 8 2008, 03:12)

Anyway, I just called 3 Gamecrazy's next to me, 1 Gamestop, and not one of them had a used wired controller. I'm not paying $40 for a controller so I want to find one used.  I guess I'll just buy a used controller, and sell the wireless stuff on craigslist. 

Oh and I bet the Xbox 360 headset actually works fine with the wired controller on PC too, as it doesn't work right w/ the wireless. I can hear my friend fine, but I literally have to put the microphone in my mouth for him to hear me.   I bet that doesn't happen with the wired controller.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Plugging the charging cable into the PC while using the controller does nothing. All it does is charge the battery, it has no effect on the functionality of the controller.

I understand this. He has a wireless receiver for it. I HAD a wireless controller, but didn't want to spend even more money for the wireless receiver so I took it back and bought a wired one. I'm only throwing things out there. He has vista, wireless controller, not running on batteries. Maybe using only batteries isn't sufficient power to run it? Either way, I'm happy I got the wired one.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'll plug in the charging cable while playing and see if it makes a difference.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 7 2008, 22:44)
I'll plug in the charging cable while playing and see if it makes a difference.

Do you have Vista? This could be another one of Microsoft's schemes to sell Vista for full functionality of the controller.

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

Yep, I have Vista.

The drivers for the wireless controller just seem screwed up to me, because this isn't the first time I've seen a game handle the 360 wireless controller differently from the wired one. Just doesn't make any sense. It's like these companies only test the game with the wired 360 controller and don't take the time to hook up the wireless controller w/ the receiver and make sure it works the exact same way. They just assume they're both the exact same, which I understand. It's an MS screw-up more than anything, there's no reason for these 2 controllers to act any different in a game.

nattog
  • nattog

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

ok folks, i just tried out my friends wired controller and it works flawlessly. the triggers do exactly what they should (manual aim, precision driving) so the problem is, without a doubt in my mind, with the wireless controller, wireless reciever, or some sh*tty support on R* part for the wireless controller.

oh yea, i'm on Windows XP SP3 but i dont think there is any difference, because i had the same problem when i was playing on Vista

so, unless R* fixes the problem with the patch, i would recommend that people use the wired 360 controller

mva5580
  • mva5580

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

Yep, no surprise.

I guess I'll try to hunt down a wired controller tomorrow on my lunch break. No way in hell I want to pay the $40 new for it though, hopefully I can find it used somewhere. Thanks for the confirmation.

VietnamRebel
  • VietnamRebel

Gun-Nut

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (mva5580 @ Dec 7 2008, 23:01)
Yep, no surprise.

I guess I'll try to hunt down a wired controller tomorrow on my lunch break. No way in hell I want to pay the $40 new for it though, hopefully I can find it used somewhere. Thanks for the confirmation.

I was lucky. I bought my Wireless controller one night at Game Stop, opened it only to realize I needed a $20 wireless receiver...took it back the next day opened and got my full refund. Then I laid 40 on the table and bought a brand new wired one. I'll definitely be going back to that Game Stop in the future, great service.

Also, has anybody here played online yet? I've yet to do so, don't even know if it works or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users