Documenting GTA IV Data files

195 replies to this topic
pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (FunGt @ Dec 8 2008, 17:09)
Pinky have you tried to make new color lines? Coz I have a strange problem.
I followed the old method that works with all GTAs.
After I have made a new color line, for example:
CODE
130,253,194,-,white    # 134 green-blue

I add it to a car so:
CODE
schafter, 134,134,134,

But when I go to the game, the color is completly different, lol. It should be something between green and blue, but it is red.
Can you try it?

Sorry about not answering this one earlier.
I have added many extra colours now and edited the lammy colours, I am making correct Lambo colours for he infernus and have up to 140 colours and all still work well.
I am hoping there is no limt this time round.
getting some great result swith the specular colours too.
user posted image
This is pure white during the day but turns illuminous at night or in the shadows. I have used white for its main colours and the Lime green I created earlier as the specular.
For good clour results also try and have dark and light version of your colour and when using one, use it's opposite number for the specular.

vob775
  • vob775

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Where's camera settings file?
I want to change vehicle's camera to cockpit like Midnight Club:LA....

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:59 PM Edited by Dup, 09 December 2008 - 02:04 PM.

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 17:24)
QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 8 2008, 18:14)
Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

Vehicles.ide flags if i'm right, Along with some other interesting stuff biggrin.gif

Edit: not there. I remember they were in the xbox version? you have still the 'bangerexhaustfx' that seems to be those damaged vehicle's big poff.

'bangerexhaustfx' adds more grey smoke to the exhaust but doesn't make the nice pop and smoke cloud you get when driving. I tested this on the dukes. It looks to me like these are hard coded which is annoying, also 'bangerexhaustfx' doesn't work on bikes.

All the cars with a banger version like the Sabre have a second line in handling.dat and vehicles.ide called "sabre2" so there must be different models for them.

It looks like the exhaust and dump valve stuff is hard coded, unless it's defined somehow like the extras the cars show.

QUOTE (vob775 @ Dec 9 2008, 12:04)

\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\vehoff.csv smile.gif

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 9 2008, 14:59)
QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 17:24)
QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 8 2008, 18:14)
Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

Vehicles.ide flags if i'm right, Along with some other interesting stuff biggrin.gif

Edit: not there. I remember they were in the xbox version? you have still the 'bangerexhaustfx' that seems to be those damaged vehicle's big poff.

'bangerexhaustfx' adds more grey smoke to the exhaust but doesn't make the nice pop and smoke cloud you get when driving. I tested this on the dukes. It looks to me like these are hard coded which is annoying, also 'bangerexhaustfx' doesn't work on bikes.

All the cars with a banger version like the Sabre have a second line in handling.dat and vehicles.ide called "sabre2" so there must be different models for them.

It looks like the exhaust and dump valve stuff is hard coded, unless it's defined somehow like the extras the cars show.

QUOTE (vob775 @ Dec 9 2008, 12:04)

You could possibly use the ide and handling to load another car model instead of one of the Sabre2 version.
Not much use as you would be losing one to get another I suppose, if it did work.

I take it you treid just copying in handling and ide from one of the bangers onto another car, other than just editing the exhaust flag?

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:47 PM Edited by Dup, 09 December 2008 - 02:51 PM.

Well I just copied sabre2 handling and vehicles.ide to the dukes and it had the full banger characteristics. Now to figure out the actual property that causes it.

I have a feeling if the handling figures are above or below a certain threshold the exhaust behavior changes.

EDIT: Nope, its the vehicles.ide somehow. I tried copying the flags last time so must be something before the flags.

Cheers pinky <3

vob775
  • vob775

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 9 2008, 13:59)

found and change it.
thanks! colgate.gif

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 9 2008, 15:47)
Well I just copied sabre2 handling and vehicles.ide to the dukes and it had the full banger characteristics. Now to figure out the actual property that causes it.

I have a feeling if the handling figures are above or below a certain threshold the exhaust behavior changes.

EDIT: Nope, its the vehicles.ide somehow. I tried copying the flags last time so must be something before the flags.

Cheers pinky <3

Nice news, means vehicle swaps are on. wink.gif
Means car swapping for helis etc like we could do in SA. vehicle model hierarchy still needs to be correct so don't try this till we can import and export vehicle models.

Please god, let the plane ide flag still work. Will need to add proper aircraft parts for this one too to try it.

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Actualy, I buggered up.

It's controlled by the game name column:

CODE
dukes,  dukes,  car,  DUKES, SULTANRS,  VEH@LOW, VEH@LOW_HI3_HI3, 100, 999,  0.2094, 0.2094,  0, 2, 1.0 ,2, ext_strong+ext_sunroof

Gives me a dukes with backfires and dump valve.

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 9 2008, 16:28)
Actualy, I buggered up.

CODE
dukes,  dukes,  car,  DUKES, SULTANRS,  VEH@LOW, VEH@LOW_HI3_HI3, 100, 999,  0.2094, 0.2094,  0, 2, 1.0 ,2, ext_strong+ext_sunroof

Hmmm, Turbo NRG anyone?
Hope it works.

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (pinky @ Dec 9 2008, 15:50)
Actualy, I buggered up.

CODE

Hmmm, Turbo NRG anyone?
Hope it works.

My test on the PCJ wasn't fruitful sad.gif

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 9 2008, 16:54)
Actualy, I buggered up.

CODE

Hmmm, Turbo NRG anyone?
Hope it works.

Isn't GAME NAME the GTX name? what has that to do? yawn.gif

Tried replacing the cop cars car group with the Dodo and Androm (both in handling, but no entry in vehicles.dat sad.gif ) Using DexX's trick, and I got Faggios... I didn't see them driving, but I saw they were at the bridge and at the cop stations. When I got into them, after some seconds, it crashed.

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 9 2008, 17:04)
Actualy, I buggered up.

CODE

Hmmm, Turbo NRG anyone?
Hope it works.

Tried replacing the cop cars car group with the Dodo and Androm (both in handling, but no entry in vehicles.dat sad.gif ) Using DexX's trick, and I got Faggios... I didn't see them driving, but I saw they were at the bridge and at the cop stations. When I got into them, after some seconds, it crashed.

You were warned about the no hierarchy thing JV. tounge.gif

They will need the minimum hierarchy parts for whatever vehicle type you are trying to make them, eg rudders etc for planes.
Surprised you even got that far.

Hollaz
  • Hollaz

Bleh.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Well, i tried changing the hud.dat, but my game didn't start. Either i'm doing something wrong with these modding tricks (which i suspect), or it's something else.

I've tried to document the structure:
A line is built like this:
CODE
NameOfEntry  posX,posY  sizeX,sizeY  EntryOfColor  Alpha

Which makes, for example this:
CODE
HUD_AREA_NAME  0.929,0.872  0.418,0.595  HUD_COLOUR_WHITE  255

NameOfEntry (ex: HUD_AREA_NAME): Is the name of the HUD entry. Most of these is fairly easy to understand where they are.
posX,posY (ex: 0.929,872): Is the position on the screen the entry should be placed. posX and posY is obviously the name of the Axis they go.
sizeX,sizeY (ex: 0.418,0.595): Is the size the text should have. Bigger value, bigger font. Is also on X and Y axis.
EntryOfColor (ex: HUD_COLOUR_WHITE): These names are from entries located in the hudColor.dat file in the same folder. More on it later.
Alpha (ex: 255): Is pretty obvious, in a scale between 0-255, 0 is invisible and 255 is fully visible.

the hudColor.dat is "related" to the hud.dat file, having entries of colors in RGB.
Example of a line:
CODE
HUD_COLOUR_PURPLE  152 111 158

The form of these lines is pretty simple. Just name entry (which i assume cannot be changed in names), R G and B.
Changing the values of these should change the ending color product in the game.

There are although two different rows of these files; HD and CRT. These was/is for different TV types, so i'm not sure what PC-monitors use. The only difference is in the hudColor.dat file, where the RGB values differ.

Note that this is only what i think these files should do (I have not tested if this really works). As i mentioned, i can't get modified files to run.

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:23 PM Edited by Dup, 09 December 2008 - 06:27 PM.

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 9 2008, 16:04)
Actualy, I buggered up.

CODE

Hmmm, Turbo NRG anyone?
Hope it works.

The game must use the GXT names to determine the banger and backfiring characteristics.

Here's something I made earlier:

Watch in HD (bottom right of video if not already activated in HD)

Edit, note the police cruiser also has all the sounds of the Sultan RS but still retains the siren?

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

Great work Dup.
Made some eyecandy to go with Dop's earcandy.
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Going to apply some to other cars and bikes now. smile.gif

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

Awesome colors pinky, can you write here this one? It's look like gold.

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (FunGt @ Dec 9 2008, 20:56)
Awesome colors pinky, can you write here this one? It's look like gold.

It is an Orange primary and secondary with a bright yellow specular.
here is my lambo colours:
CODE
233,112,59,bright,orange  # 131 lammy orange
252,252,0,-,yellow           # 132 lammy yellow
255,255,255,-,white       # 133 lammy white
255,0,255,bright,pink   # 134 lammy pink
58,254,12,light,green   # 135 lammy green
50,140,255,bright,blue         # 136 lammy light blue
53,255,158,light,green        # 137 lammy mint
153,53,255,dark,pink   # 138 lammy purple
53,53,255,bright,blue   # 139 lammy blue

That one you like is the lammy orange with lammy yellow specular.

The Sultan sound works on the NRG, just no flames. sad.gif
Still, it will sound good enough for stunt vids. smile.gif

Killuminati91
  • Killuminati91

Brucie

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

anyone found punch / push power? If i add <physics force="1000.0" /> to the UNARMED part in weaponinfo.xml it doesnt change anything

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:33 PM Edited by MasterK, 09 December 2008 - 08:35 PM.

I guess that's because weaponinfo.xml is only a "preset" file which've been used by the developers to easily edit files through Excel.

Find a .dat file with a similar name, and try that.

Although I can be wrong.. smile.gif

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

Nah, weaponinfo.xml is the right file, I edited some stuff to get a flamethower. Actually it shoots molotov cocktails... but well tounge.gif

user posted image

I have to try out some of the flags and the damage types in this file, everything is looking pretty interesting. Soon we could start writting all down in the wiki, heh?
I like how this GTA is turning out, like everything is more open for edit...

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:45 PM Edited by MasterK, 09 December 2008 - 08:53 PM.

Hah! Napalm forever smile.gif

On a side note, isn't there a way to force the leftover DODO to spawn in the game? I remember one of the Rockstar devs stated that they've been working on the game since November of 2004, and that there was an other map, which has been dumped later on because R.A.G.E.

So basicly they COULD have made a new version of the dodo, before starting to work on Liberty City, weren't they? I mean, they said that they didn't put driveable planes in the game, because of the size of the city... but they had an other place before, not LC, which was bigger in size, but had less details in it.

But I guess Pinky already tried it out smile.gif

Edit: I wonder what does the "OLD_PHYSICS" flag mean in the handling file. Is it related to the previous physics system, used by vehicles? Like an ability to use the same physics, what were apparent in San Andreas? Or is it just something related to the vehicle's condition?

Edit #2: Wait a minute.. JV, does that actually throw molotoc cocktails, or just render fire in front of the weapon? smile.gif Sorry for the questions, but I can't really try it myself yet, because the game lags extremely on my PC

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ Dec 9 2008, 15:45)
Hah! Napalm forever smile.gif

On a side note, isn't there a way to force the leftover DODO to spawn in the game? I remember one of the Rockstar devs stated that they've been working on the game since November of 2004, and that there was an other map, which has been dumped later on because R.A.G.E.

It wasn't dumped because of RAGE, it was dumped because they wanted to work on a small detailed area rather than working on a big and dull area.

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:02 PM Edited by eagle016, 09 December 2008 - 11:15 PM.

I've been messing with the 'peds.ide' file trying to have cops show up as different people but whenever I do it that cop just disappears from the game completely.

Ok, I've messed with the 'pedtype' line and made actual cops just regular peds. In the game they would run away from me and the ones in the car still wouldn't do anything.

I've edited a random pedestrian (M_O_suited) and turned him into a cop. They show up as cops on the screen and will shoot at you when you have a wanted level, except they don't don't come after you from nowhere, you have to find them.

Alright, I edited 'peds.ide' 'pedpersonality.dat' and 'pedgrp.dat'. I was able to have my new cops (a once regular ped) as a cop, driving around in their cars and all, except the game will crash shortly after starting up. I think it's because of the 'pedgrp.dat' edit, but I'll test to find out.

It seemed to be the 'pedgrp.dat'. Once I replaced the modified pedgrp file with the original one the game didn't crash, and made it how I first tried it, where it did work... except I still had the trouble of finding the ped type that I made into a cop.

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 9 2008, 20:39)
Nah, weaponinfo.xml is the right file, I edited some stuff to get a flamethower. Actually it shoots molotov cocktails... but well tounge.gif

user posted image

I have to try out some of the flags and the damage types in this file, everything is looking pretty interesting. Soon we could start writting all down in the wiki, heh?
I like how this GTA is turning out, like everything is more open for edit...

the things for the fires are in explosionfx.dat or something... I made my SMG shoot rockets and those rockers are modified to explode quite epic with a lot of fire.
user posted image

Skeeter
  • Skeeter

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:35 PM Edited by Skeeter, 09 December 2008 - 11:21 PM.

Haven't read the thread so dunno if anyone's figured out how to do car camera mods but i did so here's my findings.

Found how to change the car cameras.

It is the vehoff.csv file

Format is as shown below.

VEHICLE rebla FIELD BONNET_FWD POS 0.002625 -5.763062 0.764526 ANGLES -0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 FOV 100.000000

Vehicle CARNAME

FIELD Bonnet View= camera type

POS = Camera position cords

0.002625 = Left and right camera position

-5.763062 = Forward and back adjustments

0.764526 = Height adjustment for camera position up and down.

Angles = not sure not tested yet. Tho the 3 segment of numbers will probably act in direction to POS

FOV = Field of view as in how far u can turn left to right with camera movements i think.

It is possible now to have a fixed camera that follows the car totally as ppl wanted instead of using the mouse to view around when cornering and avoiding slow follow on camera methods. Just alter the bumper cam so its behind the car and above slightly to your desired preference.

Youtube example.

http://ca.youtube.co...h?v=3-NtU43L7oM

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Welcome Skeeter wink.gif

(I'm Dup from OcUK too)

I like the cameras as they are but would be a nice (And lengthy) mod to fix those cameras for those who prefer static camera.

Skeeter
  • Skeeter

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

Ok who likes cockpit cameras. smile.gif

http://ca.youtube.co...h?v=aDCWrYFNS4c

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:07 AM Edited by eagle016, 10 December 2008 - 05:10 AM.

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet. If you change the damagetype on UNARMED to 'BULLET' and add the <physics force= ""/> line (with the amount within the parentheses) it'll give Niko super strength when hitting objects/cars. For some reason it didn't work when I'd punch/push people.

The info for it would look like this:

<weapon type="UNARMED">
  <data slot="UNARMED" firetype="MELEE" damagetype="BULLET" group="PUNCH_KICK" targetrange="10.0" weaponrange="1.6">
   <damage base="500" networkplayermod="1.0" networkpedmod="1.0"/>
   <physics force="25000.0"/>
   <pickup regentime="0"/>

<controller>
    <rumble duration="60" intensity="0.23"/>
   </controller>

<flags>
    <flag>CAN_AIM</flag>
    <flag>ARMOUR_PENETRATING</flag>
   </flags>
  </data>
</weapon>

The size change is what you need to add/change to have super punches.

Here's a video of it in action with the max force amount:

KickyMcAssington
  • KickyMcAssington

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Skeeter @ Dec 9 2008, 23:54)
Ok who likes cockpit cameras. smile.gif

http://ca.youtube.co...h?v=aDCWrYFNS4c

I do, I do! tounge.gif

Would you mind posting your modified text for a couple of the cars you've tested so far?
If possible I'd just like to get an idea of how drastic the changes should be without too much trial and error reloading the game. biggrin.gif

I wish I could contribute something new, but I'm a bit late to the party, been working on my mods without keeping up with the net.

Anyway Here's a couple videos of my Mods

Vehicle handling mod HD:
Low res:

Just for fun gun mod HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8GvNmY22FE&=fmt22
Low res: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8GvNmY22FE

Skeeter
  • Skeeter

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

user posted image

Find in vehoff.csv or whatever file it was. Find rebla entrys and edit the bonnent entry (2nd one of the rebla entrys) to this

VEHICLE rebla FIELD BONNET_FWD POS -0.402625 0.100000 0.764526 ANGLES -0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 FOV 92.000000

Edit - I've only tryed modding this one line so far, i.e testing what i can do with that cars bonnet cam. Been interesting but because of the dreadful long loading process its a nightmare to actually test small changes quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users