Photo

Documenting GTA IV Data files

195 replies to this topic
JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:26 PM Edited by Jost_Vice, 22 December 2008 - 11:53 AM.

I think it could be a good idea to start out documenting the differents data files found in GTA IV, that we could later add to the wiki: Gtamodding wiki

There are a lots of SA files still in the data folders, most of them are unused (carmods.dat, clothes.dat..) others changed (timecyc.dat, handling.cfg...) and the rest are new, we could follow a structure in this topic, if you find out something regarding a file, post with your info and we will discuss, testing and so on turn.gif

Let's start:

Scenarios.dat (/common/data/) - Miscelaneous actions of peds in the city (fixing car, sitting...)

vehOff.csv (/common/data) - Contain the camera positions for each car

weaponinfo.xml (/common/data) - All the weapon behaviour is here (damage, clip, anim...)

timecyc.dat (/pc/data) - Controls all regarding the time cycle, there are smaller files (timecycmodifierX) with the variations of the timecyc inside interiors/zones.

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

So far I moddified carcols and handling, as well as setting all MP clothing to be unlocked at level 0.
user posted image user posted image

I can vouch carcols and indeed clothing unlock did work while playing MP.
user posted image

My only concern now is that MP will be open to cheaters, weps data wont be an issue as it will hit you as hard as it hits others but car handling and player stats will be the big problem.

I have tried modifying the relationship data to create riot scenarios but I have had no real luck with it yet. Maybe going to have to alter tempers in another ped stat file.

As far as carcols go, first two colours are your primary and secondary carcols and third is your specular colour. You can use the third to get more interesting colours on your vehicle.
On four colour cars the same as above but the fourth colour is for the third carcol, the wheels in the case of the Futo seen above.
Basic colour editing is the same as SA really.
For the MP clothing, set all the first columns in the MalePlayerSettings and FemalePlayerSettings to 0.

I suggest creating a server locked for only friends if you plan on using any mods online or you will eventually get busted. Just set all slots to reserved when you start your own game so only friends who are aware of the mods can join.
And FFS do not try it on the Ranked servers. Have some sense.

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

So basically, carcol goes:

CODE
color1,color2,specular,

And for 3 colors cars:

CODE
color1,color2,specular,color3,

Am I right?

Timecyc.dat - So far it has changed some stuff from previus GTA, adding new stuff for HDR and bloom. One thing I don't identify is the global sun multiplier ambient oclusion thingy... pic

CODE

Amb0 - Ambient color 1 (RGB)
Amb1 - Ambient color 2 (RGB)
Dir -  untested (RGB?)
Sky top - Color at the top of the sky (RGB)
Sky bot - Color at the bottom of the sky (RGB)
Suncore - Sun's sphere color (RGB)
SunCorona - Son haze color? (RGB)
SunSZ - Untested (float)
SprBght - Untested
FarClp - Untested
Fogst - Fog (untested)
LowCloudsRGB - (RGB)
BottomcloudsRGB - (RGB)
WaterRGBA - Water surface color (red green blue alpha)
Exposure -untested
BPThreshold -untested
MidGreyValue -untested
intensitybloom - Bloom's intensity (float)
ColourCorrectRGB - Color correction (RGB)
ColourAddRGB - how ColourCorrectRGB modifies the color (float)
Desaturation -
Contrast -
Gamma -
DesaturationFar -untested
ContrastFar -untested
GammaFar -untested
DepthFxNear -untested
DepthFxFar -untested
LumMin -untested
LumMax
LumDelay
CloudAlpha -Cloud's alpha
DirLightMult -Dir multiplier?
AmbLightMult0 - Ambient color 0 multiplier?
AmbLightMult1 -Ambient color 1 multiplier?
SkyLightMult
SunMult
Temperature  
Far DOF  
Near DOF  
Near Blur DOF  
Mid Blur DOF  
Far Blur DOF    
Water Reflection    
Particle HDR    
Sprite Size  
Global sun multiplier ambient occlusion scaler - Affects shadows, sky ???

xmen
  • xmen

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

hey guys, wouldnt it be nice if you keep update gtamodding.com

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

The carcols data is saved with each vehicle in the save files. If you change it, you'll need to either find a new copy of the car in traffic/parked, or bring your saved car to a pay n spray.

Hmm, shades of gta3..

vehOff.csv (/common/data) - Seems to be a file with info about each vehicle's moveable parts (doors/bonnet)

Not tested, but those look more like camera positions/data, particularly that FOV entry at the end..

No harm discussing stuff here first. More people visit the forums than the wiki. That being said, data that is proven to be correct should be updated on gtamodding.com.

Killuminati91
  • Killuminati91

Brucie

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

E: nevermind

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Dec 8 2008, 15:11)
The carcols data is saved with each vehicle in the save files. If you change it, you'll need to either find a new copy of the car in traffic/parked, or bring your saved car to a pay n spray.

Hmm, shades of gta3..

No harm discussing stuff here first. More people visit the forums than the wiki. That being said, data that is proven to be correct should be updated on gtamodding.com.

Yeah, if you want to mod a car's paintjob. Park at the Bohan savehouse as the Pay'n'Spray is just around the corner from it.
Also using one of the cheat cars like the FBI Buffalo is good to test your colours, you can just run out the savehouse and spawn it using the phone cheat.

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Pinky have you tried to make new color lines? Coz I have a strange problem.
I followed the old method that works with all GTAs.
After I have made a new color line, for example:
CODE
130,253,194,-,white    # 134 green-blue

I add it to a car so:
CODE
schafter, 134,134,134,

But when I go to the game, the color is completly different, lol. It should be something between green and blue, but it is red.
Can you try it?

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Did you read the notes at the top of the file? the prefix (-) and also the color seems something that we have to test. Also, don't set the specular to the same color, better set it to white.

CODE

130,253,194,-,blue   # 134 green-blue

Changed from 'white' to 'blue'

Edit: ignore, that is only for the radio comments of the police...

pinky
  • pinky

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 17:24)
Did you read the notes at the top of the file? the prefix (-) and also the color seems something that we have to test. Also, don't set the specular to the same color, better set it to white.

CODE

130,253,194,-,blue   # 134 green-blue

Changed from 'white' to 'blue'

Edit: ignore, that is only for the radio comments of the police...

I got nice results using dark metallics from the same colour pool or darker version of your main colour, could get tricky with multi colour vehicles though. wink.gif

Mania-92
  • Mania-92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

VisualSettings.xls and VisualSettings.dat, they hold variables for taillights, headlights, indicators etc.
Only thing I don't now is why there are 2 identical files, the values need to be identical in both files otherwise the world is messed up when you spawn.

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Mania-92 @ Dec 8 2008, 18:02)
VisualSettings.xls and VisualSettings.dat, they hold variables for taillights, headlights, indicators etc.
Only thing I don't now is why there are 2 identical files, the values need to be identical in both files otherwise the world is messed up when you spawn.

how can you open visualsettings.xls?

I've edited visualsettings.dat's bloom settings, without anything bad happening:

user posted image
(Mind the sky and water is modified from my timecyc.dat)

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:24 PM Edited by Jost_Vice, 08 December 2008 - 05:26 PM.

QUOTE (Dup @ Dec 8 2008, 18:14)
Can anyone figure out where the dump valve (BOV) and backfire sounds are flagged for the Sultan RS? I hope they aint hard coded sad.gif

Vehicles.ide flags if i'm right, Along with some other interesting stuff biggrin.gif

Edit: not there. I remember they were in the xbox version? you have still the 'bangerexhaustfx' that seems to be those damaged vehicle's big poff.

Mania-92
  • Mania-92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 17:08)

I've edited visualsettings.dat's bloom settings, without anything bad happening:

user posted image

Strange, when I modified only the .xls it crashed, when I modified the .dat also it worked perfecte..
Anyway .xls is an microsoft excel file, so obviously you can open it with excel.

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Mania-92 @ Dec 8 2008, 18:40)
QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 17:08)

user posted image

Strange, when I modified only the .xls it crashed, when I modified the .dat also it worked perfecte..
Anyway .xls is an microsoft excel file, so obviously you can open it with excel.

Right, my excel was saying I needed some plug-in so closed it, but now, installed it and opens correctly... There are only two .xls files, and with them, a csv (action_table) and a dat (visualsettings) so maybe they were used when developing the game, as it was easier to edit them using excel?

_CP_
  • _CP_

Group: Vice City Stories team

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

Intresting files are: hud.dat and hudColor.dat.
We can change color (fe.clock)
# -HUD COLOUR NAME- -R- -G- -B-
| |
the name of element changing colors

jos116
  • jos116

New account: DaBeast.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:46 PM Edited by jos116, 08 December 2008 - 09:33 PM.

As a pioneer modder on one of the forums im moderator at, i cant miss this. So:
/me joins the GTA file-band wagon tounge.gif

Moveblend.dat - Has some parameters in it for blending Ped animation
MOVEMENT_GROUP movement_group_name  FALLBACK_GROUP fallback_group_name

Furnitur.dat - Seems to contain some info about the furniture. Maximum angle, if its tall, if its small, if it can be put in front of a window, etc. Not sure why tho. Furniture is maybe dynamic?
Hey look, maybe some non used furniture:
#SUBGROUP: MISC_ORNAMENTS 1 1 1 1 0 0 0
#ITEM: gb_ornament02 0 0 100 0
#ITEM: gb_ornament03 0 0 100 0
#ITEM: gb_ornament04 0 0 100 0
#ITEM: gb_ornament05 0 0 100 0
#ITEM: GB_romanpot01 0 0 100 0

gtaRainEmitter.xml and gtaRainRender.xml (and the storm ones) - Controlls how thick the rain is, how much motion blur, offset, etc.

PlayerSettingsLights.dat - controlls the ingame light sources? With RGB values, outer and inner cone angles, falloff, etc.

loadingscreens_ingame_pc.dat and loadingscreens_pc.dat - Controlls how the static images are animated when loading.

Default.ide - oubious..
But, something interesting: quoted weapons.
#w_silenced, w_silenced, gun@handgun, 1, 30, 0
#flame, flame, null, 1, 50, 0
#minigun, minigun, null, 1, 50, 0
#bomb, bomb, null, 1, 50, 0

It looks to me the silenced one would work, because it doesnt have a 'null' anim group. And by looking at the anim group names (animarea@subanimtype) these work different these days too.

Lets see what i can find:
AMB@... - Ambient animations?
gun@... - Gun animations
veh@... - Vehicle animations

Cant find more now, but i ran out of time (had to go, lol). Will check out the files some more soon.

Edit:Check out Wilma.html and Fred.html. Has some pretty interesting stuff about natural motion in there. Thanks you R* for the info files, lol.

Greets

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

I think the furniture file is scrap from GTA SA, where it was used for the all the robbery mission (creating random furniture placement on the houses)

The silencer weapon thing is interesting that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 14:56)
I think the furniture file is scrap from GTA SA, where it was used for the all the robbery mission (creating random furniture placement on the houses)

The silencer weapon thing is interesting  that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Probably a few left over from SA, like txdcut.ide.

This is new though
# file: cargrp.dat
# description: For each type of ped (worker, clubber etc) we maintain a list of the cars they might drive.
~
police, police2, polpatriot, noose, predator, pstockade, nstockade, fbi # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The police weren't in the SA cargrp.dat. Time to mess with it.

hohoho, i'm on to something
Parked Mr.Tasty copcars?
They don't work in traffic right though. Mr.Tasty wasn't the best choice for testing..
used this line:
CODE
pmp600, mrtasty  # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The pmp 600 would appear in traffic (just sitting in the road, like it spawned there - not driving) - empty, with no cops driving sad.gif

Also, pedpersonality.dat looks interesting..

JostVice
  • JostVice

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:15 PM Edited by Jost_Vice, 08 December 2008 - 11:14 PM.

QUOTE (DexX @ Dec 8 2008, 22:27)
QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 14:56)

The silencer weapon thing is interesting  that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Probably a few left over from SA, like txdcut.ide.

This is new though
# file: cargrp.dat
# description: For each type of ped (worker, clubber etc) we maintain a list of the cars they might drive.
~
police, police2, polpatriot, noose, predator, pstockade, nstockade, fbi # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The police weren't in the SA cargrp.dat. Time to mess with it.

hohoho, i'm on to something
Parked Mr.Tasty copcars?
They don't work in traffic right though. Mr.Tasty wasn't the best choice for testing..
used this line:
CODE
pmp600, mrtasty  # POPCYCLE_GROUP_COPS

The pmp 600 would appear in traffic (just sitting in the road, like it spawned there - not driving) - empty, with no cops driving sad.gif

Also, pedpersonality.dat looks interesting..

Maybe the cops need to be added to the new vehicles? in pedgrp? (I mean... isn't there a file about assigning peds to vehicles?)

Anyway, interesting way to create random cop cars at station...

Played with the weapons a bit, I now have a Rocket Propelled Molotov

user posted imageuser posted image

So.... I think its possible to create a flamethrower, more or less. Also saw that the Minigun has his full data, with its own muzzleflash and all.

Edit:

I made my compact RPG tounge.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

Maybe the cops need to be added to the new vehicles? in pedgrp? (I mean... isn't there a file about assigning peds to vehicles?)

Not in any external file i can find. I had a similar issue with VC and SA, where i could replace the vehicles themselves, but not get cops to drive them, unless the model was already loaded - except there everything was hard coded. I suspect part of it is still hard coded in IV.

ToxicNinjaX
  • ToxicNinjaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:52 AM

Messing around in the files i found this
C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\pedpersomnality.dat

CODE
+drivesrichcar+drivesbigcar+drivesboat+onfoot+smoker+phoneuser+givebummoney+replytoho+taketaxi+late+
murdershakefist+murderrunaway+likesart+office+jewish

theres a few more.
COP:
CODE
M_Y_COP, M, 30, 3, 5, 1, 1, 5, 50, E, E, core_moves, hits_pool, unarmed_gang, counters_player, firearm_core, -, -, move_tough, +policeofficer+onfoot+late+cancarryweapons

heres another i'm not sure who he is but theres alot of +'s he has

CODE
M_Y_Pqueens_01, M, 18, 3, 1, 1, 1, 4, 50, E, E, core_moves, hits_pool, unarmed_ped, counters_player, firearm_core, -, -, move_rubbish, +drivespoorcar+drivesaveragecar+drivesrichcar+drivesbigcar+drivesmotorcycle+onfoot+argue+phoneuser+i
nsultbum+watchfight+softjack+murdershakefist+murderattack+cancarryweapons+gardening+buysdrugs

inb4 "Lets make the firemen smoke!"

lololol

Anyhow i havnt tested this yet so. report and tell me if this works.. and post results. maybe a screenshot of the ped doing what u made it do..
Also, i was just messing around in the files and saw this.. open it in notepad and at the top it says:

# NOTE: The names and paths in this file are CASESENSITIVE on PS3 so don't f*ck 'em up.

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\cjimages.txt

haha funny to see rockstar talking like that..

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:25 AM

The M_Y_Pqueens thing is a Young Male that shows up in Queens I'm guessing (I know for sure the M is for male/female and the Y is for Young/Old/Middle-aged).

I messed with the cops in there so that I could make them act differently and no matter what I did none of them changed.

ToxicNinjaX
  • ToxicNinjaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

CODE
# Acquaintance options:
# - Hate
# - Dislike
# - Like
# - Respect

CIVMALE
   Respect CIVMALE
   Respect CIVFEMALE
CIVFEMALE
   Respect CIVFEMALE
   Respect CIVMALE
COP
   Hate CRIMINAL DEALER
   Respect MEDIC FIREMAN COP
GANG1
   Hate GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG1
GANG2
   Hate GANG1 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG2
GANG3
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG3
GANG4
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG4
GANG5
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG5
GANG6
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG6
GANG7
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG8 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG7
GANG8
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG9 GANG10
   Respect GANG8
GANG9
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG10
   Respect GANG9
GANG10
   Hate GANG1 GANG2 GANG3 GANG4 GANG5 GANG6 GANG7 GANG8 GANG9
   Respect GANG10
MEDIC
   Respect COP FIREMAN
FIREMAN
   Respect COP MEDIC
CRIMINAL
   Hate COP
PROSTITUTE
   Hate COP

Just found that... maybe i am on to something?
*:\\*\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ped.dat

jjcoolj91
  • jjcoolj91

"Snipin's a good job mate...Challenging Work."

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (Jost_Vice @ Dec 8 2008, 09:08)

user posted image

I smell Vice City Mod around the corner

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:50 AM Edited by eagle016, 09 December 2008 - 06:10 AM.

QUOTE (ToxicNinjaX @ Dec 9 2008, 04:01)

Just found that... maybe i am on to something?
*:\\*\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ped.dat

Interesting. I'm about to test some stuff out...

EDIT: Messed around some with it, didn't notice any real changes.

In 'object.dat' I did find some interesting stuff names in the file. Some of the item names are:

Satchel
M60
Laser
Katana
Teargas
Machete
Pickupparachute
Property_fsale
C*ntgun
Chnsaw (not surprising seeing as how there was one in the first trailer)

And then there's a lot of CJ and San Andreas files, one of which is called "CJ_WHEELCHAIR1".

Also, 'popcycle.dat' is pretty fun to mess around, you can set the max amount of vehicles/pedestrians for certain areas. I set Star Junction to a pretty high amount of cars and then just tossed a grenade in a pile.

Hollaz
  • Hollaz

Bleh.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:18 AM

I think that ped.dat is a SA leftover file, since it looks just as it.

Relationships.dat would be more fitting for IV.

CODE

GANG_JAMAICAN
#   Hate GANG_ALBANIAN GANG_BIKER_1 GANG_BIKER_2 GANG_ITALIAN GANG_RUSSIAN GANG_RUSSIAN_2 GANG_IRISH GANG_AFRICAN_AMERICAN GANG_KOREAN GANG_CHINESE_JAPANESE GANG_PUERTO_RICAN
   Respect GANG_JAMAICAN

Also contains similar lines about multiplayer players "relationships".

They does not have a star tho (#), which makes me wanna test, but IV lags too much for me to play with it. icon13.gif

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

I'll check that out tomorrow, if no one else checks it out first. I'd hop on now but if I do then I'll never finish studying for my macro-economics test like I should be doing right now.

Hopefully we can find a way to get everyone hating everyone and essentially have an 'angry pedestrians' tweak/mod.

Glumok
  • Glumok

7 years on GTAForums... Nom d'une pute !

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

Just noticed that, in "common/data/ambient.dat :

CODE
# WORLD STATES:
#
#   IsRaining
#  IsSunny
#  IsNight
#   IsSnowing
#  IsWindy

"IsSnowing" ? Snow was supposed to be a part of the game ? Note that state is not used in the file itself.

I don't think it comes from a San Andreas file, or am I wrong ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users