Quantcast

» «
Photo

Can we disable the camera auto-center behaviour?

92 replies to this topic
Digitalos
  • Digitalos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hi all,

For the PC version, does anyone know of a way to disable the auto centering behaviour when in a vehicle and on foot? It's starting to drive me nuts as it will never let me look in a direction for more than a second before it decides I want to look forward again. Also when driving it constantly gives me a low down view when I want it slightly higher, chaning cameras with V doesnt' appear to work.

Any ideas?

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

Someone will hack its annoying ass, just a matter of time now.

Painful
  • Painful

Top 5 Ranked

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Digitalos @ Dec 7 2008, 02:14)
Hi all,

For the PC version, does anyone know of a way to disable the auto centering behaviour when in a vehicle and on foot? It's starting to drive me nuts as it will never let me look in a direction for more than a second before it decides I want to look forward again. Also when driving it constantly gives me a low down view when I want it slightly higher, chaning cameras with V doesnt' appear to work.

Any ideas?

let go of your forward key as your turning the camera, maybe? dunno, i got used to it fine.

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:20 AM

hack? it needs to be patched, i dont know any other pc game that moves the camera on its own

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (rebel_36 @ Dec 7 2008, 03:20)
hack? it needs to be patched, i dont know any other pc game that moves the camera on its own

The console was the same though, it's gonna end up hacked methinks.

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

the console may need it because it takes too long with a joystick to turn the camera forward again (even though ppl could just hit "look behind" for a sec to reset the camera straight).

IF they really dont patch it then yeah, hack in order..

Muze
  • Muze

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

I'm with the OP, separate controls for camera and character.

Shof
  • Shof

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (Muze @ Dec 7 2008, 03:51)
I'm with the OP, separate controls for camera and character.

me too. Hopefully someone fixes this

Kitano0
  • Kitano0

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:55 AM

GTA:SA had the same problem, its damn annoying!

Jackmackg
  • Jackmackg

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

you get use to it.

Muze
  • Muze

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

I don't remember SA being like this. I can't get used to it especially when I'm turning left with my keyboard while trying to look right with the mouse, the camera fights with itself and shakes left and right.

Digitalos
  • Digitalos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

Whilst it's positive that some people can get used to it, I don't really want to get used to a bad camera system. It's annoying, especially on foot it's constantly juddering when I try to look whilst moving. Just a simple option to enable/disable auto-centering would be great. That way those who don't like it can disable it and those who do can leave it enabled.

FanatiKOr
  • FanatiKOr

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hm strange i always can look where i want. So it seems to work. Perhaps u can change it somewhere.

iRocco
  • iRocco

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

it's driving me insane, pls someone fix it!!!

Digitalos
  • Digitalos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of toggle option in the config files or such. I'm a little wary of touching mine as I use Steam and VAC can be a cruel master, but has anyone else poked around a little?

HakuAnime
  • HakuAnime

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

I hope there there will be an option to disable the auto-centering camera in an upcoming patch. whatsthat.gif It's really annoying.

kons45
  • kons45

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

This is really strange but for me there is no autp-centering. I didn't play the last few GTA's as my PC wasnt up to it and I didnt have a console but I was trying to get the camera to auto-center as I turned and all coz I wasnt used to seperate controls. I have since gotten used to it except when reversing and I'm looking at the front of my car and the controls are reversed.

It's strange that so many people encounter the opposite. I didn't tweak anything as far as I know but I guess its possible?

Jackmackg
  • Jackmackg

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

i think its better. also if you look backwards in the car you have more control on the cam.

null_
  • null_

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

I didn't have this before, then suddenly I got it again. There must be a setting somewhere?? Very weird.. or maybe I had but I didn't notice, but why did I notice now? Maybe after I read this topic.. but I still get a feeling it didn't exist.

Nebby_99
  • Nebby_99

Prime Gibbage

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

I have no auto-centering that I've noticed. I was looking for a way to enable it in cars, as I can never see where I'm going after turning a corner.

McDodge34
  • McDodge34

GTA4 Maniac

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

I want the opposite, want the camera to stay centered on the same position when I turn with the car, not having to get the mouse to just have the right angle to drive, it keeps driving me totally insane, don't know why the camera is not following the moves of your car.

Jackmackg
  • Jackmackg

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

just played the game with the mouse. i had no auto center. it must be a setting.

Psycold
  • Psycold

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:11 AM

what bugs me is how the camera takes TOO LONG to auto-center itself, I will pull my handbrake, hit the gas and unless I move the mouse so I can see what's in front of my car, I end up crashing into a wall or a car because the camera thinks its better to look at the car from the front. If it actually locked onto the back of the car it would be great imo.

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

I hate having to aim the damn camera when I turn.

I hate looking at the side of my car when I am turning.

Nebby_99
  • Nebby_99

Prime Gibbage

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Psycold @ Dec 9 2008, 14:11)
If it actually locked onto the back of the car it would be great imo.

+1

At least having an option for this would make the driving so much nicer.

Imperatortwo
  • Imperatortwo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (FanatiKOr @ Dec 7 2008, 11:45)
Hm strange i always can look where i want. So it seems to work. Perhaps u can change it somewhere.

Same goes for me. Its way better then SA now as you can chose the angle and it stays where it is. That was the biggest minus in SA

Muze
  • Muze

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (Psycold @ Dec 9 2008, 03:11)
what bugs me is how the camera takes TOO LONG to auto-center itself, I will pull my handbrake, hit the gas and unless I move the mouse so I can see what's in front of my car, I end up crashing into a wall or a car because the camera thinks its better to look at the car from the front. If it actually locked onto the back of the car it would be great imo.

Exactly, it's really half assed. If you're going to have the cam follow behind all the time, well it should do so much quicker especially while driving but also on foot.

In spite of that, whether you like the new system or not, an option to shut if off and return to controls of GTAIII would be most welcome.

OldHen
  • OldHen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

Here's a solution that stops the camera from centering... it works for me, but someone's gonna have to compile & attach it, I'm too lazy. It moves the mouse back and forth a little bit (imperceivable) to stop the default camera view from taking over.

#include <string.h>
#include "windows.h"

#define MOVE_DISTANCE 2
#define HIGH_WAIT_TIME 1500
#define LOW_WAIT_TIME 100

int main()
{
INPUT leftMotion, rightMotion;
memset(&leftMotion, 0, sizeof(INPUT));
leftMotion.type = INPUT_MOUSE;
leftMotion.mi.dx = -MOVE_DISTANCE;
leftMotion.mi.dwFlags = MOUSEEVENTF_MOVE;
rightMotion = leftMotion;
rightMotion.mi.dx = -leftMotion.mi.dx;
while (true)
{
SendInput(1, &leftMotion, sizeof(INPUT));
Sleep(LOW_WAIT_TIME);
SendInput(1, &rightMotion, sizeof(INPUT));
Sleep(HIGH_WAIT_TIME);
}
return 0;
}

AMDdude
  • AMDdude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Psycold @ Dec 9 2008, 03:11)

THIS

What the hell were they thinking!? I drive using the arrow keys, just like any other driving game, I can't constantly adjust the camera with my left hand just to see where I'm turning, its too ackward, I can't drive with my left hand and adjust with the right its too awkward, why can't the camera stay put behind the vehicle! Did they think we needed another challenge, right now my driving consists of TURN, LOOK BEHIND QUICKLY, TURN, LOOK BEHIND QUICKLY, its retarded.

Nebby_99
  • Nebby_99

Prime Gibbage

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (AMDdude @ Dec 9 2008, 17:54)
What the hell were they thinking!? I drive using the arrow keys, just like any other driving game, I can't constantly adjust the camera with my left hand just to see where I'm turning, its too ackward, I can't drive with my left hand and adjust with the right its too awkward, why can't the camera stay put behind the vehicle!

My feelings exactly.

Sure, we might be able to shoot out of cars, and then we wouldn't want to camera locked. However in that event we'd probably be using the mouse briefly anyway (or the GTA3 system would suit me fine).

The slow auto-center is unpredictable and stops you seeing where you're going all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users