Photo

Play MP3s from alternate directory?

9 replies to this topic
Hydrohs
  • Hydrohs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Is there a way that I can specify to Vice City where my music is? Because I have it all on my external hard drive, and I really don't want to put it back on my main drive, especially not into the Rockstar folder =/

I tried placing a shortcut to the folder, but of course that didn't work.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

I thought short cuts would work??

Oh well...

This might do what you want it to....

http://www.gtagarage...s/show.php?id=4

Description:
I'm sure the mp3 station of vice city annoyed you at least one time, playing the same tracks over and over in the same order. Now you can control the mp3 station.

Now you can skip tracks like you wish, enable shuffle mode, load mp3s from playlist instead of copying them into the mp3 folder. Besides you don't have just one, but 9 mp3 stations, each with its own playlist and settings.

Information about the current playing title will be displayed, and you're able to scroll through a list of all mp3s avaiable in your mp3 station playlist.

Let us know how this works for you.

Hydrohs
  • Hydrohs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

Doesn't work. the log is saying that the file is not supported, they're all MP3s >.>

I don't even get any results when I put MP3s right into VCs MP3 folder...

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:42 AM

After you put your MP3's (or Shortcuts) in the MP3 radio folder in the install directory, you have to go in game and go into options and then stroll through the radiostations in the audio menu until you get to the one called "MP3 Player"-it is after the Wave 103FM in VC and after the Chatterbox 108FM in GTA 3. I use shortcuts, and they all work great. Also, do you have the proper codecs installed on your PC-ie. WMP 10 or 11, I-tunes 7 or higher, winamp, etc? If you don't have at least WMP 10 or 11 installed, it will not work. Hope this helps.

So Spuds, you are right, the game does work with Shortcuts to the MP3 file, plus using shortcuts saves on hard drive space as well.

Bullet_Chris
  • Bullet_Chris

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

Yep, they have to be shortcuts to the mp3 files not shortcuts to the folders.Only SA supports shortcuts to folders.

Hydrohs
  • Hydrohs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Dec 7 2008, 02:42)
After you put your MP3's (or Shortcuts) in the MP3 radio folder in the install directory, you have to go in game and go into options and then stroll through the radiostations in the audio menu until you get to the one called "MP3 Player"-it is after the Wave 103FM in VC and after the Chatterbox 108FM in GTA 3. I use shortcuts, and they all work great. Also, do you have the proper codecs installed on your PC-ie. WMP 10 or 11, I-tunes 7 or higher, winamp, etc? If you don't have at least WMP 10 or 11 installed, it will not work. Hope this helps.

So Spuds, you are right, the game does work with Shortcuts to the MP3 file, plus using shortcuts saves on hard drive space as well.

I put it in, and there was no radio staton. The game said NO MP3S FOUND in the Audio options. I have all the codecs I need, I can play them just fine. GTA just doesn't let it work >.>

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:39 PM Edited by Spuds725, 07 December 2008 - 10:47 PM.

I think you may have misunderstood-- you wrote "put IT in there"-- you have to put the MP3s or MP3 shortcuts in the folder in which case you would have wrote "put THEM in there"

I never did it before but just did (copied MP3 shortcuts to he MP3 folder)-- worked fine.

The MP3 station will not show up until you have MP3s or MP3 shortcuts in the folder.

I am next to a PC version noob and I was able to do it (I played the PS2 version)-- you did read above that you cannot use FOLDER shortcuts, you have to use the MP3 shortcuts themselves-- just select the ones you need to copy-- and click copy-- in the MP3 folder right click and select paste shortcuts...

You also have to terminate VC and start it again.

Hydrohs
  • Hydrohs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Dec 7 2008, 21:39)
I think you may have misunderstood-- you wrote "put IT in there"-- you have to put the MP3s or MP3 shortcuts in the folder in which case you would have wrote "put THEM in there"

I never did it before but just did (copied MP3 shortcuts to he MP3 folder)-- worked fine.

The MP3 station will not show up until you have MP3s or MP3 shortcuts in the folder.

I am next to a PC version noob and I was able to do it (I played the PS2 version)-- you did read above that you cannot use FOLDER shortcuts, you have to use the MP3 shortcuts themselves-- just select the ones you need to copy-- and click copy-- in the MP3 folder right click and select paste shortcuts...

You also have to terminate VC and start it again.

I did all of that. it didn't work, as I stated above.

markiij
  • markiij

Anywhere City, 3 weeks in the future

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

Are you sure you tried the shortcuts thing? And are you sute the tracks are in mp3 format?

Hydrohs
  • Hydrohs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (markiij @ Dec 8 2008, 10:02)
Are you sure you tried the shortcuts thing? And are you sute the tracks are in mp3 format?

Yes and yes. I first tried a folder shortcut, it didn't work. So I figured I'd just place a few MP3s in the folder for fun, that didn't work, and then I tried shortcuts to the MP3s which also didn't work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users