Photo

Gta4 Loading in a loop (freesing)

155 replies to this topic
nite613
  • nite613

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:38 AM

No itunes here. I'm running steam version so can't try the disk eject thing. I've tried everything else but it still happens from time to time. Disabling my network adaptor didn't help.

Nillansan
  • Nillansan

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 10 2008, 02:08)
Is anyone on this thread running iTunes? If so can you report the version number you have installed?

Thanks

I am not running Itunes either.

Dagger1987
  • Dagger1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:27 PM Edited by Dagger1987, 10 December 2008 - 02:36 PM.

Same here, reinstalled, ejected the CD, reinstalled .NET framework 3.5, I don't have itunes and I don't use antivirus, disabled the networks adapters and...

NOTHING

dumbafroguy
  • dumbafroguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

I experience the forever load every time I try to play the game. Even playing with default graphics or enhanced graphics same thing. Also no AA is turned on through Nvidia console.

The way I get the game to work every time is:

- Close all background programs including anti-virus / firewall

- Start Game, wait at the load screen about 20 - 30 seconds

Weird part:

I eject the GTA IV disc and the game loads immediately.

I don't know if the game simply has problems with certain drives but I'm using a Plextor DVD/RW and a LiteOn DVD/RW.

Windows XP SP3
All the crap I'm supposed to have installed from Micro$oft.
Asus board with AMD 4200+ chip
7900GTX 512MB

jortaman
  • jortaman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

When I'm playing I get this black screen, and nothing happends. Just bought a new processor because I thought that caused the problem. But I still get this 'crash', tried everything I could.

@Rockstar Toronto: Do you know what could caus this problem and/or if the patch will solve this problem. Thanks!

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

We've seen a problem with certain versions of Quicktime / iTunes whereby certain computers would exhibit similar behavior to what's being described in this thread.

Quicktime or iTunes doesn't necessarily need to be running at the time to cause the problem. By simply being installed on the machine they could be causing this issue.

If anyone wants to try an experiment to see if it helps, there are 2 different things you can do.

1) If you already have either of these two software packages, you can try upgrading to the most recent version of them. We've found that although this doesn't eliminate the problem, in our test case it seems to have reduced the frequency of the problem.

2) If you're willing to try to remove both of these software packages, it may solve the problem. In our test case by removing both Quicktime and iTunes the problem went away.

There is a chance that this may not be the issue that everyone is seeing on this thread, so I want to be clear that this may not fix everyones problem in this case.

BierKoerier
  • BierKoerier

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:53 PM Edited by BierKoerier, 10 December 2008 - 07:58 PM.

I had the same problem. I set GTAIV.exe and launchGTAIV.exe to windows 2000 compatibility mode the problem is gone now.
I also have iTunes and Quicktime installed

System:
Dell M1710
XP sp3 with framework 3.5
7900gtx 512 mb with 180.84 driver (http://laptopvideo2g...showtopic=22137)

jortaman
  • jortaman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:14 PM Edited by jortaman, 10 December 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Thanks for your reply Rockstar Toronto, I really appreciate it. I'm now removing Quicktime and I check if it works.

Edit: I'm going to check it right now. I do have 'Vtunes' installed, but I don't know what it is.

Edit2: Wow, I'm not sure but I guess it worked. I played for 10 minutes without a crash, with lagg, but no crashes biggrin.gif

ChungaSarnies
  • ChungaSarnies

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

(i accidentally posted this in the wrong forum earlier)

Hi all,

This has been mentioned a few times on these forums and elsewhere, but I can't get a solution to this problem. I load up the game and it gets stuck on a endless loading screen of the game's characters (after you hit 'start').

So far, I've tried:

-reinstall
-updated .net framework
-updated to beta nvidia drivers
-command line parameters; which i think I'm putting in correctly
-'alt tab' shortcut, which actually doesn't work
-more things i think I've forgotten about

Specs:

GTA 4 (Direct2Drive download)

self-built pc - XP Home SP3 32bit, C2D E4500 @~2.75, 4GB DDR2, nvidia 8600GT 256mb DDR3

Another problem - when installing (both times) I got lots of 'CRC errors' about files not matching those in the .cab files in the installer. I just hit 'ignore' and hoped for the best.

Any help would be much appreciated. I spent like 3 days downloading the file sad.gif

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (ChungaSarnies @ Dec 10 2008, 15:59)
Another problem - when installing (both times) I got lots of 'CRC errors' about files not matching those in the .cab files in the installer. I just hit 'ignore' and hoped for the best.

It sounds like your game didn't download properly from D2D.

ChungaSarnies
  • ChungaSarnies

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 10 2008, 21:34)
QUOTE (ChungaSarnies @ Dec 10 2008, 15:59)

NOOOOO sad.gif

Another 3 days. Maybe the game will actually work by then though, huh?

Nillansan
  • Nillansan

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 10 2008, 19:04)
We've seen a problem with certain versions of Quicktime / iTunes whereby certain computers would exhibit similar behavior to what's being described in this thread.

Quicktime or iTunes doesn't necessarily need to be running at the time to cause the problem. By simply being installed on the machine they could be causing this issue.

If anyone wants to try an experiment to see if it helps, there are 2 different things you can do.

1) If you already have either of these two software packages, you can try upgrading to the most recent version of them. We've found that although this doesn't eliminate the problem, in our test case it seems to have reduced the frequency of the problem.

2) If you're willing to try to remove both of these software packages, it may solve the problem. In our test case by removing both Quicktime and iTunes the problem went away.

There is a chance that this may not be the issue that everyone is seeing on this thread, so I want to be clear that this may not fix everyones problem in this case.

I don't have Itunes nor Quicktime installed on my computer it's completely clean. I made a fresh install of Vista 64 Bit just for this game, I have only GTA 4 installed. All my drivers are up to date. Vista is up to date, and I am stilling running into this loop.

Sigplain
  • Sigplain

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Removed itunes + quicktime and it made a difference

Got as far as the black screen that says "loading/starting new game" then crash to windows.

Any solutions to this?

RETAIL version
XP SP3
E6850
7900GTX
2GB ram

Dagger1987
  • Dagger1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:54 PM Edited by Dagger1987, 10 December 2008 - 09:57 PM.

I uninstalled quicktime and realplayer (i never use it) and I never had Itunes

I installed .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and the same problem, but now instead of freezing, I can do Control+alt+del and then stop the process... (before I had to wait about 10 seconds so the computer recognize my keys and often I had to do a hard reset)

.Net 2.5, 3.5 or 3.5 SP1 didn't make any difference for me

I also have the newests nvidia drivers (the ones that rockstar recommends)

Computer:

Q6600 3,3Ghz
Gforce 8800GTX
4x 1Gb 600 DDR2
Asus P5K Deluxe
2x 500Gb WesternDigital

I done a registry clean, and the only time that it worked was the first time after I install, now, even If I reinstall and clean the folder, registry etc it don't works....

Any solution?

RodC
  • RodC

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

I fixed this problem by inserting/ejecting my USB flash drive (empty). Try attaching it and then loading up the game. If it's already attached, try removing it when the load screen gets stuck. If you don't have a flash drive, try another USB device.

Dagger1987
  • Dagger1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (RodC @ Dec 10 2008, 22:02)
I fixed this problem by inserting/ejecting my USB flash drive (empty). Try attaching it and then loading up the game. If it's already attached, try removing it when the load screen gets stuck. If you don't have a flash drive, try another USB device.

Thanks a LOT!!! It worked smile.gif smile.gif

RodC
  • RodC

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Dagger1987 @ Dec 10 2008, 22:05)

Thanks a LOT!!! It worked smile.gif smile.gif

Nice! I'm not sure exactly why this works, but I don't really care. I am just glad IT WORKS. colgate.gif

lucas182
  • lucas182

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

still doesnt work for me sad.gif
having the same problem. the game wont start.

i tried the USB thing. didnt work. it just keeps loading forever and ever and ever and nothing....

and i just upgraded my pc yesterday so its brand new (even the MOBO)

my specs:
- Quad Q9550
- 4 Gigs of ram
- EVGA 790i FTW
- GeForce 8800 Ultra OC
- Vista 64 bit ultimate SP1

no clue whats going on.

PATCH it rockstar...

WTESnowhawk
  • WTESnowhawk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

I've been playing with few bugs since trying the USB stick trick, which seems to work 100% of the time when I'm stuck on the splash screens.

I think it might help to note, that if I use the benchmark method, I usually get this result:
http://www.gtaforums...opic=380726&hl=

Nillansan
  • Nillansan

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

It didn't work for me, but thanks for the tip. Rockstar fix this please sad.gif

dumbafroguy
  • dumbafroguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:31 AM

I tried what R* Toronto advised about uninstalling or updating QuickTime or ITunes to resolve the forever load issue.

IT WORKED!

I uninstalled Quicktime and now no more forever load. It loads after about 5 - 10 sec.

Thanks R* Toronto.

colgate.gif

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

I'm glad it helped you out. Thanks for responding.

Dagger1987
  • Dagger1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Damn, yesterday that trick of USB drive worked and today not sad.gif

Any other solution to try?

And.. There's a command or a file to delete so the intro don't show those screens of copyright?

lucas182
  • lucas182

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

ok, so yesterday i felt like making sure that the game's loading wasnt just slow but indeed broken, so before i went to bed, i ran gta 4 and hit start.

well, 1 hour, 35 minutes later, the game was still loading, without the music, but with the character slide show going on....

this reaaally needs to be fixed sad.gif

Nillansan
  • Nillansan

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (lucas182 @ Dec 11 2008, 14:07)
ok, so yesterday i felt like making sure that the game's loading wasnt just slow but indeed broken, so before i went to bed, i ran gta 4 and hit start.

well, 1 hour, 35 minutes later, the game was still loading, without the music, but with the character slide show going on....

this reaaally needs to be fixed sad.gif

+1.

I don't have Itunes nor Quicktime installed on my computer it's completely clean. I made a fresh install of Vista 64 Bit just for this game, I have only GTA 4 installed. All my drivers are up to date. Vista is up to date, and I am stilling running into this loop angry.gif

RodC
  • RodC

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Dagger1987 @ Dec 11 2008, 11:03)
Damn, yesterday that trick of USB drive worked and today not sad.gif

Any other solution to try?

And.. There's a command or a file to delete so the intro don't show those screens of copyright?

Are you sure? It continues to work for me every day. I just leave the USB drive connected and when I get to the load screen I usually have to remove it. If it doesn't work by removing it, it usually works when I re-attach it. Just the USB activity seems to kick-start the game into loading.

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

If you get stuck on the load screens, can you try to bring up the GFWL dashboard by pressing the 'home' key on your keyboard.

Please let us know what happens.

Thanks.

jortaman
  • jortaman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

It worked well but now I get crashes ingame again but no longer black screen but just freezed gaming screen, deleting Quicktime solved the previous problem, now I have a problem again sad.gif

lucas182
  • lucas182

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 11 2008, 18:41)
If you get stuck on the load screens, can you try to bring up the GFWL dashboard by pressing the 'home' key on your keyboard.

Please let us know what happens.

Thanks.

pressed home 300 times... the dashboard doesnt come out.

also tried the USB trick again... put it in.. took it out.. put it in again... nothing

good thing i just got prince of persia 2008 (running it max btw... 1900x1200 8xAA.. 30 fps.. trust me it looks better than gta, but thats a different issue).. so i got something to do while gta gets fixed... i set this thread to send me email notifications anyway, so ill know when to try something else and pause my prince of persia gameplay hehe

Kelco
  • Kelco

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Tried everything, but nothing seems to work for me, I hope this'll get fixed with the update...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users