Photo

Gta4 Loading in a loop (freesing)

155 replies to this topic
leifke81
  • leifke81

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

I have been playing for some time now, and all off the sudden the game get stuck in the loading screen after the main menu, game loads , sound cuts out, pics on loop and have to press alt ctrl delete.
tryed to re install, repare and restart, still the same.

any help, thanks.

ps. im running it on Vista 32 bit. and its the retail version of the game

Motanum
  • Motanum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

i kinda have the same problem... it froze and i had to ctrl alt del, but it didnt react so i had to shut down computer, and now it wont open the game anymore. early morning i had smae trouble, and i downloaded again from steam, but i dont want to keep waiting 5 hours to reinstal the game everytime it freezes...

dumbafroguy
  • dumbafroguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

I have experienced the same issue where the pics go on a loop and doesn't seem to end. Forever load i call it.

Do you have two dvd/cdrw/cdrom players on your pc? If so, try ejecting the one that doesn't have the GTAIV disc in it.
After I do this the game loads immediately. This issue hasn't happened every time I try to load the game though. Also, at least for me, if you try and change the graphic settings and then trying to load the game w enhanced graphics it goes on the forever load, so i just leave them at the lowest level in order to play the game. I can wait for a patch or updated video card drivers to make the game look pretty.

Im running WinXP SP3

7900 GTX 512MB

mike87
  • mike87

The Mike to the 1987

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

I had the same problem also. mad.gif

But my loading screen went to loop and then it just started when I was going to shut the computer off and restart. confused.gif

Very weird - but it worked. colgate.gif

Has anyone else this "load-up-the-game-slowly-but-starting-up-after-few-minutes" - problem. smile.gif

SandmanX
  • SandmanX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us here are having this problem (among others).

I realize that the loading completes approximately after 30 seconds but the loading screen just goes on loop showing character portraits and all.

I've tried Alt+Tabbing (which will immediately force load) but then the textures go beserk so I think the only solution for now is just be patient and wait for the damn thing to load.

NB - I've managed to smoke a cigarette, take a piss, head over to 7-11 for a Slurpee and STILL it's not done loading. Updated my drivers and all that but I think it's a bigger problem than that.

At times, it will load as per normal but mostly, it just goes to hell.

Fringe
  • Fringe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

I have the same problem! So there is no way to go through it? It's very annoying...

WTESnowhawk
  • WTESnowhawk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:51 PM Edited by WTESnowhawk, 06 December 2008 - 11:20 PM.

I've got the same "forever load" problem. One of many problems with the game, but that's for other posts.
I've just disabled my other cd-rom drive, hopefully that will solve the problem.

EDIT:
OK, so just tried to run the game after disabling my other drive, no luck. Still the forever load issue.

angry.gif CURSES! devil.gif

Fringe
  • Fringe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

So...Any help?
I have a problem when I go to Roman's mission ([R] on map) and when I enter it i have a loading, which never stops. 10, 30 minutes -nothings happen, still loading. Forver loading.

ZomBuster
  • ZomBuster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

I had this problem with the Steam version, after I validated the game files trough Steam the problem was solved.
(It checks if all the files are downloaded correctly)

For the retail version I think a reinstall might solve it.

Fringe
  • Fringe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hmm i reinstalled this game 7, 8 times?...

jortaman
  • jortaman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I have the same problem, while I'm playing I get a black screen and I need to reset my computer. Freaking annoying indeed.

Foxen
  • Foxen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I have the same problem, the loading screen will never stop cycling through all the persons, not even after half an hour.

But I found out that waiting until the game has loaded in the background (HDD activity stopping)
and then plugging in a usb stick and taking it out again will make the game load every time, quite a weird bug.

Vukurutu
  • Vukurutu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:43 AM Edited by Vukurutu, 08 December 2008 - 02:53 AM.

I have the same problem, loading takes forever...i tried everything listed on forums but my game just don't start, seriously considering a refund. Im using a steam copy btw

my specs

C2D e8400
GeForce 9600GT with 180.48
4gb ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits SP1

Irrati0nal
  • Irrati0nal

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:10 AM

Had the same issue: TO FIX IT DO THIS (at least this helped me) DISABLE all out of game Anti Aliasing and/or Anisotropic filtering and set the defaul profile in Nvidia control panel/Catalyst

leifke81
  • leifke81

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:56 AM Edited by leifke81, 08 December 2008 - 02:44 PM.

Im back, and my looping problem stopped, i dont know how but i tryed reinstalling
the game again (tryed it before and it diden`t work), and it was loading normaly.
this is so strange.

And i feel for the ones that still have this problem sad.gif

PS. I rolled back to my old display drivers.

Leif.

jima
  • jima

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Foxen ! I owe you a thx and a beer:

http://www.gtaforums...&t=379062&st=0#

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (leifke81 @ Dec 6 2008, 21:56)
I have been playing for some time now, and all off the sudden the game get stuck in the loading screen after the main menu, game loads , sound cuts out, pics on loop and have to press alt ctrl delete.
tryed to re install, repare and restart, still the same.

any help, thanks.

ps. im running it on  Vista 32 bit. and its the retail version of the game

Try to play without internet connection, it worked for me, I think that Social club try to do something but it fails.

iRyusa
  • iRyusa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Try to install http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en i have the same bug and fixe with it ;p

emailer
  • emailer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:41 AM

plain and simple, disable your network adaptors and start the game as offline mode.

SandmanX
  • SandmanX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:07 AM

- nVidia Forceware drivers updated to 180.84.

- Microsoft .NET updated to 3.5

- uninstalled and reinstalled retail version of the game.

- tried rolling back to earlier display drivers with no success.

- changed default display settings and tweaked with nVidia control panel.

- ejected and reinserted the disc.

- ejected/closed my DVD-RW drive and tweaked around with it. (I have a DVDROM drive AND a DVD-RW drive but obviously that's not the issue.)

- restarted, shut down, ctrl + alt + del the PC.

- simply put, tried every single thing suggested by posters on this forum and this thread as well.

STILL ON FOREVER LOAD.

Dear Rockstar,

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THE PROBLEM?!!!!

angry.gif

emailer
  • emailer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (SandmanX @ Dec 9 2008, 04:07)
- simply put, tried every single thing suggested by posters on this forum and this thread as well.

disable the damn internet.

stinkymcghee
  • stinkymcghee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

I have the same problem, at least 90% of the time when using the "Start" option from the Main Menu. In a different thread, I posted the workaround that *works for me* every time:

http://www.gtaforums...entry1058717162

From the Main Menu, instead of going straight to "Start", go to Option, then Display. Run the benchmark...it'll start showing the usual loading screen with characters, but only shows about 5 characters before the benchmark begins. Once the benchmark has started, escape out of it, and then escape out of the benchmark stats.

It goes directly into loading the game at this point...well, for me, anyway.

Sycuss
  • Sycuss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

- nVidia Forceware drivers updated to 180.84.

- Microsoft .NET updated to 3.5

- uninstalled and reinstalled retail version of the game.

- tried rolling back to earlier display drivers with no success.

- changed default display settings and tweaked with nVidia control panel.

- ejected and reinserted the disc.

- ejected/closed my DVD-RW drive and tweaked around with it. (I have a DVDROM drive AND a DVD-RW drive but obviously that's not the issue.)

- restarted, shut down, ctrl + alt + del the PC.

STILL ON FOREVER LOAD.

Dear Rockstar,

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THE PROBLEM?!!!!

angry.gif

just happened to me they game has stoped giving me one error and now does this LOLS

SandmanX
  • SandmanX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (emailer @ Dec 9 2008, 04:15)

disable the damn internet.

Trust me, I did that.

I'm still tweaking here and there trying all sorts of things as I type this. Yes, I can play the game but please, what is up with the loading?

It seems temperamental. I did the benchmark test and all that as you have suggested (tried that before but gave it a whirl again) but still no joy.

I'm extremely tempted to just shelve the game until everything is solved or blows over.

I guess 2008 is just the year of disappointments when it comes to major PC game releases. e.g. Fallout 3, CoD: WaW.

Nillansan
  • Nillansan

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (WTESnowhawk @ Dec 6 2008, 22:51)
I've got the same "forever load" problem. One of many problems with the game, but that's for other posts.
I've just disabled my other cd-rom drive, hopefully that will solve the problem.

EDIT:
OK, so just tried to run the game after disabling my other drive, no luck. Still the forever load issue.

angry.gif CURSES! devil.gif

Yes I have the exact same problem... It happens to me occasionally, but yeah it is annoying angry.gif

SandmanX
  • SandmanX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

SOLUTION

Okay, I found a temporary rudimentary solution which works half the time but hey, at least it's something.

When you're stuck at the loading screen with forever load, eject your GTAIV disc and reinsert it again. The system should read the disc and force load without any graphic anomalies or oddities.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

For now.

iRyusa
  • iRyusa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

Try to turn off your antivirus when you launch the game.

SandmanX
  • SandmanX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Yeah I tried that already but ejecting and reinserting the disc seems to work. This game is like a beehive of bugs.

NIPSEN
  • NIPSEN

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
DirectX update 9.25.1476
Drivers update 180.84
Reinstall game 2 times
Shutdown internet connexion
Check integrity with Steam (always make a Re-download on Steam !!! sh*t !)
Update GFWL 1.02.0241
Try to launch game with S.C offline
Try to Clean with CCleaner
Try to disable Sound card
Try with or without overclock
Try Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86)

What else ? (nothing work for me)

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

Is anyone on this thread running iTunes? If so can you report the version number you have installed?

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users