GTA 4 Save file

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic
faro0485
  • faro0485

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

I have two accounts with xp home, since my brother wants to play - and I can't let him go back on my account... I need to figure out where the save file for GTA 4 is located and well... let him play his game on his.

Or is the save file stored by Rockstar accounts profiles?

So... how do I get the save on the other windows login???

topeira
  • topeira

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

i think that what u r supposed to do i open the game, create a new gamer account and teach your brother to activate HIS account when he plays and only save on HIS account.

that's what accounts are for.

anyways, the saves are on XP here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

easy, isnt it? suicidal.gif

Hejsurt
  • Hejsurt

Hell yeh!

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (topeira @ Dec 6 2008, 16:27)
i think that what u r supposed to do i open the game, create a new gamer account and teach your brother to activate HIS account when he plays and only save on HIS account.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

easy, isnt it? suicidal.gif

nope. not there

faro0485
  • faro0485

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Hejsurt @ Dec 6 2008, 16:56)
QUOTE (topeira @ Dec 6 2008, 16:27)

easy, isnt it?  suicidal.gif

nope. not there

Confirmed, it's not there.

I looked there first, but... I guess if it's not there, then maybe GTA IV is bugged when it comes to saving?

confused.gif

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Obedient

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

C:/Users/Your name/AppData/Local/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/Savegames

Thatīs for vista.

faro0485
  • faro0485

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:50 PM Edited by faro0485, 07 December 2008 - 12:54 PM.

QUOTE (Graven @ Dec 6 2008, 20:54)
C:/Users/Your name/AppData/Local/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/Savegames

Thatīs for vista.

Oh thanks.

It's in C:\documents and settings\your_user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames for XP users.

Unfortunately. I don't think GTA IV saves on non-admin accounts...

Tunder
  • Tunder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

Well I had read this topic before and was sure it offered no help because like others on the forum the "Rockstar" folder just wasn't where it should be in XP. It frustrated me for a while but I found the mistake I was making and it looks like others may have the same trouble.

The "Rockstar Games" folder and subsequent game saves are not found in your usual "Application Data" folder but in a separate one on a different branch:

The Rockstar Games folder is not in:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data

But is in"
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data

I just had to slow down and not make assumptions having half recognized the directory, thanks Faro. Does anyone know the difference between the two folders, I've only ever copied the first when preparing for a reformat and have never lost any personal settings I can think of.

Anyways, I'll go ahead with the format and confirm that copying this works. With any luck this Microsoft Live security stuff won't make any trouble.

McDodge34
  • McDodge34

GTA4 Maniac

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

Don't bother trying to transfer them or back them up, you won't be able to use them, even if the account name is the same it won't work.

Tunder
  • Tunder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:58 AM Edited by Tunder, 08 December 2008 - 08:40 AM.

Confirmed, this method does work.

I was able to load my same saved games after a complete PC reformat. Importantly no actual settings on my PC changed, I used the same CD and key for XP and GTA4, I used the same Rockstar Social username and password, I also used the same Microsoft Live username and password, my TCP/IP settings were even set back to their original manual values (I doubt how much that matters).

Rather than just simply copy over the "Rockstar Games" folder from my backup into the ..../Local Settings/Application Data directory like I planned I had to tweak a bit.

It seems Rockstar assigns every new connection a unique id. Underneath the ...Rockstar Games/GTA IV/savegames directory I was given a new user folder that didn't match my old one, they look something like:

user_e0000000324jk5h234kj5h.
user_e0000000ujih34nmb34nb. Just kind of a mash of letters and numbers.

All I did though was copy the contents of my old user id folder to the new one I was given post reformat. I am currently logged in to Live and Social club and loaded at the last point I saved prior to my reformat. Assumedly, this copy/paste job works because everything in my first paragraph up there was the same.

Anyways. It appears it is safe to reformat your PC and not lose your hours of progress in GTA 4, even if they have made it a bit tricky.

(All these directories are relevant for Windows XP)

shadak
  • shadak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Dodge34 @ Dec 8 2008, 00:45)
Don't bother trying to transfer them or back them up, you won't be able to use them, even if the account name is the same it won't work.

It worked for me ... I can transfer save games between 2 PC's and it plays fine. (Win XP)

Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

Oh sweet f*ck, I better finish the game before I ever need to reinstall Windows again.
By the looks of it I'm going to lose my saved games.

My dreams of 100% have been dashed! Although I suppose those dreams have long since been gone, at least since I ran GTA IV PC for the first time...
dozingoff.gif

r0b
  • r0b

Mark Chump & Proud.

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

with my version of XP C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data is hidden

you gotta open windows explorer, click tools>folder options, click the view tab and click 'Show hidden files and folders' then you can open the Application Data folder and get to your saves

just incase anyone didn't know

Tunder
  • Tunder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

Just to finish it off it looks like Rockstar Social Club has accepted the tweak totally. Using the millionairs club earnings counter I've confirmed the Social Club is updating to my new saves post reformat.

OK to Clean your PC icon14.gif

BlackCon
  • BlackCon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

I tried your method but it doesnt work for me. When I try to load it says something like "couldnt load. please check hard disk" :S

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

That any of us have to do any of this... is FRAKKED in the head beyond belief.

What possible reason is there -- seriously, I am ALL EARS -- for not having just everyday files here in your MyDocuments/GTA4 directory? Do they REALLY and TRULY believe hiding it in this way is gonna make it LESS likely hack3rs will crack the files? Really?

DarkS3id: Oh no!
hAck3rX: What's up?
DarkS3id: F***, maaan, I woz gonna hakk my GTA4 save game so I can be ultra-l33t...
hAck3rX: Yeah?
DarkS3id: But I can't find the user files!
hAck3rX: Frak, man. Beaten again by those krafty demons @ R*!
DarkS3id: Daaaaamn!

No?
So why do it? Why not just let us stuff around with our own files?

R* are thinking waaaaaay too much like M$ with this PC edition. It's majorly sad.

faro0485
  • faro0485

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (aragond @ Dec 8 2008, 14:52)
That any of us have to do any of this... is FRAKKED in the head beyond belief.

What possible reason is there -- seriously, I am ALL EARS -- for not having just everyday files here in your MyDocuments/GTA4 directory? Do they REALLY and TRULY believe hiding it in this way is gonna make it LESS likely hack3rs will crack the files? Really?

DarkS3id: Oh no!
hAck3rX: What's up?
DarkS3id: F***, maaan, I woz gonna hakk my GTA4 save game so I can be ultra-l33t...
hAck3rX: Yeah?
DarkS3id: But I can't find the user files!
hAck3rX: Frak, man. Beaten again by those krafty demons @ R*!
DarkS3id: Daaaaamn!

No?
So why do it? Why not just let us stuff around with our own files?

R* are thinking waaaaaay too much like M$ with this PC edition. It's majorly sad.

I'm guessing Wrong*, I mean Rockstar are thinking like Microsoft... maybe because Microsoft and friends ported the game through xna to PC.

Aye, the "windows games for something" is a big clue.

ttsky
  • ttsky

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (BlackCon @ Dec 8 2008, 10:07)
I tried your method but it doesnt work for me. When I try to load it says something like "couldnt load. please check hard disk" :S

i second that. i been trying hard to find solution too. i just copied the contents of my old folder to new one. still not working

Alexis91
  • Alexis91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Itried copying from my XP SP3 x32 my saved game files, but, they apear, when I run the game on my laptop, Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, but I can't load them, it says, loading failed, please check your HDD! Wtf should I do? Thank's in advance!

adhome
  • adhome

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

Savegames are bind to xLive account. You must copy both information.

So... copy also this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\xLive\

Alexis91
  • Alexis91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

I tried copying both, rockstar and xLive accounts but still doesn't work! "Load failed. Please check your hard drive and try again!

Alexis91
  • Alexis91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

I have deleted all my old information rockstar, xlive all of it from C (my laptop) and brought the new information from my pc to the laptop all new and now it works fine! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

ttsky
  • ttsky

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (Alexis91 @ Dec 12 2008, 07:45)
I have deleted all my old information rockstar, xlive all of it from C (my laptop) and brought the new information from my pc to the laptop all new and now it works fine! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

which information? can you be more specific>?

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (ttsky @ Dec 13 2008, 16:50)
QUOTE (Alexis91 @ Dec 12 2008, 07:45)

which information? can you be more specific>?

+1

Yeah, gotta say what you've written, dude, doesn't makes much sense. But it's good that you thank us. tounge2.gif

ART87
  • ART87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

It's like copy need is to work ?

PiratezRme
  • PiratezRme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

PLEASE help me someone! i am having the same problem as loading failed check harddrive one! i just reformatted my vista and now it wont work =(((

PiratezRme
  • PiratezRme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

BUMP its urgeennt

nemesi5
  • nemesi5

Soloist

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (r0b @ Dec 8 2008, 07:54)
with my version of XP C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data is hidden

you gotta open windows explorer, click tools>folder options, click the view tab and click 'Show hidden files and folders' then you can open the Application Data folder and get to your saves

just incase anyone didn't know

hey thanks, I really appreciated your help, I was unable to find that folder smile.gif

PiratezRme
  • PiratezRme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

i didnt back up xLive folder! i just backed up the f*cking ROCKSTAR GAMES one! =( will it still work? is there still hope? HELP!!!! i'm freaking out as you can tell!!!!

PiratezRme
  • PiratezRme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

SOMEONE JUST PLEASE REPLY SO I DONT HAVE TO WASTE TIME WAITING ON HERE AND SO I CAN JUST RESTART AND PLAY THE GAME AGAIN!!!!! =(((

fischju
  • fischju

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

You could try going to the xlive folder and renaming it the same as your GTA IV save game folder (minus 'user_')

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users