GTA4 - File Modding Ability Patch

240 replies to this topic
Sylvania
  • Sylvania

Lego their ego.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Perhaps i'm f*cking something up.

When it creates these .magic files, there's no backup files anywhere to be seen but it says it did it.

So i think the .magic renamer is a bust.

ln9108
  • ln9108

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:13 AM Edited by ln9108, 13 December 2008 - 09:19 AM.

QUOTE (blckvec @ Dec 13 2008, 08:03)
QUOTE (Sylvania @ Dec 13 2008, 06:29)
aru

Nice idea but now it's obsolete or im an idiot.

Do it with patch?

Hell no, you can't. Have fun all.

It still works... I just got done turning off bloom in the visualsettings.dat I installed the patch and the game wouldn't start. So I deleted all the modded files and put my backups back in place. Launched the game and it started. Closed the game and remodded and it worked.

The patch replaced the old filelist.pak (which was the one aru modified)

So, all you have to do is
delete filelist.pak.magic -> add the .magic extension to the current filelist.pak in the GTA IV folder -> copy aru's modified filelist.pak in to the folder.

Then you're done, as long as it was working before patch

QUOTE (Sylvania @ Dec 13 2008, 08:51)
Perhaps i'm f*cking something up.

When it creates these .magic files, there's no backup files anywhere to be seen but it says it did it.

So i think the .magic renamer is a bust.

I never used magic.bat, because I only needed to modify handling and weaponinfo. So I followed aru's detailed instructions up until Step 6i.
I might have used magic.bat...if I wasn't so excited and loaded up the game and started shooting cops with my deagle rocket gun.

Sylvania
  • Sylvania

Lego their ego.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:39 AM Edited by Sylvania, 13 December 2008 - 11:13 AM.

QUOTE (ln9108 @ Dec 13 2008, 09:13)

Then you're done, as long as it was working before patch

Uh?

What about if i install patch then mod? biggrin.gif

I GOT IT IM A FOOL*

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

Can't get mine started.
Deleted all the mods, put backups back in
repatched with hook.exe

nuttinnn...

Sylvania
  • Sylvania

Lego their ego.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

I got mine working. so basically. you want to rename the real original to files.txt.original and the modified files.txt modified

here's what the layout should be

Files.txt (MODDED)
files.txt.original(UNCHANGED)

XXXX.CFG (MODDED)
XXXX.CFG.original (UNMODDED)

ANY file you change, you must go back and add the unchanged version with .original or .magic or whatever extension onto files.txt or it will load the original named file which is modded, and will be detected.

So anything with a .extension should be original.

That's all i can help with, I don't use hook.exe.

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

f*ck it, reinstalling. see you in 30mins dozingoff.gif

wesley123
  • wesley123

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

lol, opium has to do it again. The patch changes the filelist.pak so it probably differs from last one.

maybe the exe dont allow a hook(dunno if it was changed)

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:10 PM Edited by sjaak327, 13 December 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Renaming the filelist.pak and putting the modded back in doesn't work for me, the game doesn't start anymore.

This is the first time Rockstar has made me angry, not because the patch messed up the modding (that was to be expected) but for not letting me decide not to apply the patch, without being put offline in live. Absolute rediculous, I had a perfect working copy, and I wanted not to apply the patch, but somehow they don't give me that choice. Ludricous.

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

Okay... I updated the first post with an idiot-proof tool which should work better for most of you instead of the batch file. Read the first post or download it here.

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

don't worry about the patch. just replace the filelist.pak and it will work again...good job aru tounge.gif i think this will work even for future patches unlike hooks that require editing after an exe update! thx

PS: Aru, are/were you also known as Arushan on some other boards?

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Right, I'm back to the orignal GTAIV + mod fix, and the game runs again.

So if I get this right, the only thing I need to do after applying the patch (which again seems to be necessary to go online to live ingame) is renaming filelist.pak to filelist.pak.magic and restore the patched filelist.pak ?

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

I just deleted the whole .MAGIC stuff completely before I installed the patch, these are all backups of old files....
Then I figured that I could just make the mod myself, so I backuped files.txt to files.txt.ORG and filelist.pak to filelist.pak.ORG.
Now I placed the empty filelist.pak from this thread in there and changed my new files.txt accordingly.

All I do now is, everytime I change a file, I make a backup and name it file.ext.ORG and change it to that in the new files.txt.

This explanantion is probably the worst. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

geez tounge.gif you can easily see what files are replaced during the patch! filelist.pak is the one you need to replace

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:43 PM Edited by sjaak327, 13 December 2008 - 03:09 PM.

Yes you CAN easily see that the patch replaces filelist.pak, however appending .magic to that file name and then restoring the original filelist.pak from the patch doesn't work. (tried it two times now...)

Or do we need to only replace filelist.pak with the modded one, will try that now..

Nope doesn't work either.

I'm back to the patched GTIV without the mods, will now try to re-apply the mod, to see if it will let me do it.

Another edit:

LOL I now have god mode, I only modded two files, which are back to their originals, to try that out (to be sure) I fired, and indeed the mod with the weapons didn't work anymore (as expected), but the police have been firing into me for at least three minutes, but I still have full health biggrin.gif

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:07 PM

Doh, here's how it works:
The game uses files.txt to see what files it needs to check and uses filelist.pak as a reference.

- Copy files.txt and name one files.txt and the other files.txt.ORG
- Rename pc\data\filelist.pak to filelist.pak.ORG
- Put the (almost) empty filelist.pak from this Mod into the pc\data\ folder
- Edit files.txt accordingly: change the line with filelist.pak to filelist.pak.ORG (line 164), do the same for the line with filelist.txt (line 185).
- Save files.txt

Now every time you want to change a file, rename the original to .ORG first and change it in files.txt
That's how I do it, no more duplicate .MAGIC files...
Ofcourse the .MAGIC files are a better way to protect you from yourself.

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:15 PM Edited by Ricksta, 13 December 2008 - 03:23 PM.

Aru, I reinstalled the game this morning because the hook.exe didn't work anymore with the new patch.
Then I got the new patch from LIVE and now tried your idiot proof patcher...
Edit: This warning message comes up when I open Aru's patcher, not when I open the game.
user posted image

I must be a super idiot but what should I do? I don't want to reinstall + download patch again, it takes about an hour to get the whole thing back again.

Obviously the patcher isn't for the newest game patch. Can somebody paste some instuctions to mod files with the new game patch?
I want my NikoHulk and wheelie police car back!

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:21 PM Edited by L0uNGeR, 13 December 2008 - 03:26 PM.

This mod doesn't do anything with EXE files.
Maybe your error comes from SecureROM?

Obviously the patcher isn't for the newest game patch. Can somebody paste some instuctions to mod files with the new game patch?

You must be very blind, check the post above yours dozingoff.gif
Oh and for the record, this Mod should work fine even after the patch, I've just compared the new and old files.txt and they are exactly the same.

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (L0uNGeR @ Dec 13 2008, 15:21)
This mod doesn't do anything with EXE files.
Maybe your error comes from SecureROM?

You must be very blind, check the post above yours dozingoff.gif

No where there does it say its for the new patch, but I will presume it is.

Thank you.

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:27 PM Edited by L0uNGeR, 13 December 2008 - 03:31 PM.

QUOTE (Ricksta @ Dec 13 2008, 15:23)
No where there does it say its for the new patch, but I will presume it is.

Thank you.

uuugh.....

The procedure is exactly the same, with 1.0.0.0 or 1.0.1.0

Edit: This warning message comes up when I open Aru's patcher, not when I open the game.

Sry, I didn't know about the new MagicIV.exe.....
I was talking about the OLD bat file.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

I'm really laughing my ass off here, just got walked free achievement after outrunning the cops, but I took almost no damage, even though I was shot at for a solid 10 minutes, I had the weapons mod, that would make me take alsmost no damage, and would change one of the weapons to do much damage. That file has been replaced by the original, and the weapons all seem normal now, as in causing damage to everyone, and the M4 doesn't let people fly, but niko isn't taking much damage, even a grenade (exploded at nico's feet) resulted in minimum damage biggrin.gif

Rukkia
  • Rukkia

Thread maker

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Can someone upload the newer MAGIC to some where, the download link in the OP is broken.

Lmao, as soon as i submitted this post, it downloaded.

Sylvania
  • Sylvania

Lego their ego.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

OMG

PICTURE OR VIDEO TUTORIAL.

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (steveb07 @ Dec 13 2008, 13:34)
don't worry about the patch. just replace the filelist.pak and it will work again...good job aru tounge.gif i think this will work even for future patches unlike hooks that require editing after an exe update! thx

I did that, replaced the filelist.pak with the one that you need to mod, nothing. Reverted EVERYTHING back to non-modifiable mode, nothing.

All that would happen is the DOS screen would pop up for 3 seconds then close. Restarted the computer, tried again, nothing.

I just finished 'repairing' the install, still doing the same thing. I have NO CLUE whatsoever why it would still be crashing/refusing to run.

I've checked and re-checked everything and I either have everything patched to be modifiable or everything unpatched to original. I really don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall GTA but it looks like I'm gonna have to.

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

maybe one of your modded files is wrong and crashes the game? for me...the game worked right after i replaced filelist.pak . it was crashing because of that. also make sure that your paths in files.txt are pointing in the right places.i can't see any problems. does your game work without the modded files?

resignator
  • resignator

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (eagle016 @ Dec 13 2008, 22:58)
QUOTE (steveb07 @ Dec 13 2008, 13:34)

I did that, replaced the filelist.pak with the one that you need to mod, nothing. Reverted EVERYTHING back to non-modifiable mode, nothing.

All that would happen is the DOS screen would pop up for 3 seconds then close. Restarted the computer, tried again, nothing.

I just finished 'repairing' the install, still doing the same thing. I have NO CLUE whatsoever why it would still be crashing/refusing to run.

I've checked and re-checked everything and I either have everything patched to be modifiable or everything unpatched to original. I really don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall GTA but it looks like I'm gonna have to.

If you are crashing before you get to the splash screen that means you have a file check error usually. Something is modded still or corrupt. Opening some files (filelist.pak comes to mind) with notepad will corrupt them.

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

I had never opened the filelist.pak file with anything and I am certain that all the original files had never been messed with and they really were all original.

I finished reinstalling though and instead of using the methods listed I just did it all myself, only putting .magic at the end of the files I intend to use and now it's working fine.

When I tried using the "The Easy Way" method I got this message:

user posted image

This popped up as soon as I hit the "Validate Files" on it, and before it didn't. This was RIGHT after my PC got done restarting from the new, clean install. So, I don't know why before it said nothing of those files and now it did... even when I know 100% those weren't even touched.

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

@eagle016: That patcher isn't for the new game patch. You need to do the following to be about to edit files:

QUOTE (L0uNGeR)

Doh, here's how it works:
The game uses files.txt to see what files it needs to check and uses filelist.pak as a reference.

- Copy  files.txt   and name one  files.txt   and the other  files.txt.ORG
- Rename  pc\data\filelist.pak   to  filelist.pak.ORG
- Put the (almost) empty  filelist.pak   from this Mod into the  pc\data\   folder
- Edit  files.txt   accordingly: change the line with  filelist.pak   to  filelist.pak.ORG   (line 164), do the same for the line with  files.txt   (line 185).
- Save  files.txt

Now every time you want to change a file, rename the original to .ORG first and change it in  files.txt
That's how I do it, no more duplicate .MAGIC files...
Ofcourse the .MAGIC files are a better way to protect you from yourself.

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

I can't believe people start modding while they have absolutely no idea how the game works, or even how this simple trick works. dozingoff.gif

Ricksta
  • Ricksta

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (L0uNGeR @ Dec 14 2008, 02:16)
I can't believe people start modding while they have absolutely no idea how the game works, or even how this simple trick works. dozingoff.gif

I understand it after your instructions, you're making the game thing the .ORG is the one being used ingame, but it isn't because the game still loads the .dat which is modded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

I wasn't talking about you ofcourse, you've used my instructions sneaky2.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users