» «
Photo

GTA4 - File Modding Ability Patch

240 replies to this topic
DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:16 PM Edited by DexX, 08 December 2008 - 02:21 PM.

I've also just modified the handling.dat, and deleted the Banshees handling, but when I went into game, the banshee was still outside of my property, I got into it and it still drove the same...

Vehicle data is saved with the vehicle in your save files. To see differences for *handling and carcols, you'll need to find a new copy of the car in traffic (or for carcols, go to the pay n spray). Changes to vehicle.ide were not tested yet.

*Mistake about handling.

I have even tried deleting all content from files, including the CJ_GTA.dat file and the game runs as though I hadn't even messed with that file... (the level still loads like it supposed to do...)

Every file in the data folder (among others), has a second copy in filelist.pak (that the game WILL use!), make sure you copy the new filelist.pak that this mod uses.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

Just a note, you must launch the bat file from the command prompt in Vista. If you just double click on the bat file, it will think that your System32 folder is the game folder.

Vehicle data is saved with the vehicle in your save files. To see differences for handling and carcols, you'll need to find a new copy of the car in traffic (or for carcols, go to the pay n spray). Changes to vehicle.ide were not tested yet.

Really? I edited the Coquette and loaded up a save with the car outside my house and the edits worked.

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (n1k @ Dec 7 2008, 12:36)
Incase anyone happens to use motion blur, you might want to try out these settings (visualsettings.dat)

# cam.followvehicle.blur.speed 0.5 200 0.00 0.2
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.x 0.5
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.y 200
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.z 0.00
cam.followvehicle.blur.speed.w 0.2

I've been trying to keep the motion blur while removing the depth of field blur, but I can't seem to find the right settings to modify. Have you gotten anywhere with this?

KickyMcAssington
  • KickyMcAssington

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Dec 7 2008, 21:16)
I've also just modified the handling.dat, and deleted the Banshees handling, but when I went into game, the banshee was still outside of my property, I got into it and it still drove the same...

Vehicle data is saved with the vehicle in your save files. To see differences for handling and carcols, you'll need to find a new copy of the car in traffic (or for carcols, go to the pay n spray). Changes to vehicle.ide were not tested yet.

I have even tried deleting all content from files, including the CJ_GTA.dat file and the game runs as though I hadn't even messed with that file... (the level still loads like it supposed to do...)

Every file in the data folder (among others), has a second copy in filelist.pak (that the game WILL use!), make sure you copy the new filelist.pak that this mod uses.

Hmm, I just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience.

I'm using version 3 of Opium_addicts mod loader that uses the filelist.pak patch from here.

The only files I've tested so far are weaponsinfo.xml and handling.dat.
I used to need to modify filelist.pak directly but the filelist patcher in v3 fixed that.

Anyway, Modification to cars saved at my house definitely take effect when modding handling.dat without having to find a new car.
I find it much easier to park 2 cars I want to mod, then save and quit, that way they're right there to test when I reload.. Anyway since the changes are definitely taking effect right away It may be a difference between the two mod loading workarounds.

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (rebel_36 @ Dec 7 2008, 20:13)
does mp still work with this?

i may just have to do a second install for sp modding

Yeah it works online. smile.gif
user posted image user posted image user posted image
Was being stealthy and trying not to get busted with some sublime mods, or maybe not. devil.gif

evilrex
  • evilrex

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:33 PM Edited by evilrex, 07 December 2008 - 11:36 PM.

Still can't get this to work, and even when I give up and restore my filelist.pak, the game just doesn't start up.
I'm following the instructions directly. I've tried this around 3 times, every time I've tried I've ended up needing to reinstall the game.

HippieCommunist
  • HippieCommunist

PWR2DPPL

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

can any bother make a skip-loading-screens-at-the-begining-and-lunch-the-menu mod?

would make all the resets easier... dozingoff.gif

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (HippieCommunist @ Dec 8 2008, 01:01)
can any bother make a skip-loading-screens-at-the-begining-and-lunch-the-menu mod?

Already made: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=380533

Glumok
  • Glumok

7 years on GTAForums... Nom d'une pute !

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (HippieCommunist @ Dec 8 2008, 00:01)

Lol, that the first thing I edited. Each screens (legal, ect) appears for 0.010 seconds. Fastest loading ! smile.gif

Too bad there is no way (?) to remove the Live thing. It crashes my game 1 time on 3.

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

WHY isnt this working for me!?

Retail sh*t?

babarian225
  • babarian225

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:57 AM Edited by babarian225, 08 December 2008 - 05:58 AM.

nICE NICE nice

Lighttree
  • Lighttree

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

Great, thanks biggrin.gif

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Seriously, am I the only one that has problems with this?

1. Replace (after making a backup) filelist.pak to the one I've downloaded
2. Run Magic.bat
3. Replace files.txt with files.txt.magic
4. Edit whatever file you want to edit, I've edited handling.dat
5. Run Hook.exe v3 (got vista)
6. Run the game
7. Watch the game crash

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

And why did you replace files.txt with files.txt.magic?

files.txt.magic is the original files.txt file that the game is supposed to verify
files.txt is the newly hacked file that the batch file generates that points to the original files.txt.magic.

There was nothing about replacing files.txt with files.txt.magic in the instructions. And s0beit/opium's hook is unnessesary for this method, but if you botch this up, that should work.

And if the game crashes before you get the intro screens --> its because of the file checking. If it crashes after, its something else!

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (aru @ Dec 8 2008, 17:25)
And why did you replace files.txt with files.txt.magic?

files.txt.magic is the original files.txt file that the game is supposed to verify
files.txt is the newly hacked file that the batch file generates that points to the original files.txt.magic.

There was nothing about replacing files.txt with files.txt.magic in the instructions. And s0beit/opium's hook is unnessesary for this method, but if you botch this up, that should work.

And if the game crashes before you get the intro screens --> its because of the file checking. If it crashes after, its something else!

2 Edit files.txt... replace "files.txt" with "files.txt.original"

Thats what i meant! I've tried both ways. First time around I simply ran magic.bat, edited the handling.dat.magic and replaced/patched the filelist.dat. That didnt work.

The real problem began when I patched, and started, the game with Hook version 3. Before that I could restore the files and play the game. After the v3 I couldnt start the game at all. Even with the original files.

And I use v3 because someone wrote that it the version that works with vista.

Its one of two ways. Either is just will not work on my computer or Im stupid enough to miss some simple step...

Stigern
  • Stigern

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Doesn't work here. Got the steam version, run the .bat file in my GTA IV dir, and then started up gta iv. Only shows the launcher cmd window, and nothing else...

n1k
  • n1k

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (GTAGuy @ Dec 7 2008, 22:51)
I've been trying to keep the motion blur while removing the depth of field blur, but I can't seem to find the right settings to modify. Have you gotten anywhere with this?

I dunno I changed these

misc.DOFBlurMultiplier.HD 0
misc.DOFBlurMultiplier.SD 0

misc.HiDof.nearBlur 0
misc.HiDof.midBlur 0
misc.HiDof.farBlur 0
misc.cutscene.nearBlurMin 0.2
misc.HiDof.nearBlur 0
misc.HiDof.midBlur 0

misc.HiDof.farBlur 0

There now seems to be no extra added blur just the blurry rendering that is used, it may still not be as sharp as when the rendering technique is turned off but it definitely works for me. Defualt blur settings I couldn't stand BTW.

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (hipshotgbg @ Dec 8 2008, 12:33)

Thats what i meant! I've tried both ways. First time around I simply ran magic.bat, edited the handling.dat.magic and replaced/patched the filelist.dat. That didnt work.

Oh dear... the first set of instructions were just an explanation of how to do it manually.... the second set of instructions just automate the first set.... you should do either one, not both.

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (aru @ Dec 8 2008, 17:44)

Oh dear... the first set of instructions were just an explanation of how to do it manually.... the second set of instructions just automate the first set.... you should do either one, not both.

Thats what I mean. I did it without the text-editing and with it.

Just to be sure I tried once again.

Downloaded http://irc.thisgames...4mod/bin_v4.rar
Downloaded http://aru.nd4spdwor...gtaiv-magic.zip
Made a backup of the "common"-dir
Made a backup of filelist.dat
Ran magic.bat in the correct dir
Overwrote the original filelist.dat with yours
Opened hook.exe
Started the game

The game started.

I then tried to edit handling.dat. When I did THAT the game wouldt start. Even the smallest change, as a decimal, makes the game crash. The DOS just disappears before anything else happens.

I tried to patch the original file with hook. Didn't work either.

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (hipshotgbg @ Dec 8 2008, 12:58)

Opened hook.exe
Started the game

The game started.

I then tried to edit handling.dat. When I did THAT the game wouldt start. Even the smallest change, as a decimal, makes the game crash. The DOS just disappears before anything else happens.

So it works just fine if you don't edit anything?

Try running without the hook... the hook does not need to be used with this patch.

BliND123
  • BliND123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hey aru, I tried your patch and the hook (not at the same time) and neither one is working for me...i've also tried the asi loader one to disable the file check but the game doesn't launch if i even have 1 number changed in my handling file. I'm using the DVD version, any ideas?

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (BliND123 @ Dec 8 2008, 18:22)
Hey aru, I tried your patch and the hook (not at the same time) and neither one is working for me...i've also tried the asi loader one to disable the file check but the game doesn't launch if i even have 1 number changed in my handling file. I'm using the DVD version, any ideas?

I had to run the magic.bat file from the command prompt app.

Just open it up (in Vista I did 'run as admin') and change the location to your GTA folder (using cd c:\........ with the dots being your location of the folder) and then once you've got that hit enter, then type in magic.bat, hit enter and it should work.

BliND123
  • BliND123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

No, its not that the .bat isn't working. It creates all the files with the .magic extension but my game just won't launch if I've modded anything.

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

Open up the files.txt after running the .bat file. Make sure all the filenames in the file end with ".magic".

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (aru @ Dec 8 2008, 18:10)
QUOTE (hipshotgbg @ Dec 8 2008, 12:58)

Opened hook.exe
Started the game

The game started.

So it works just fine if you don't edit anything?

Try running without the hook... the hook does not need to be used with this patch.

I'll try that the first thing in the morning. Or evening.

And yes the game started fine, even with hook, if I didn't edit anything. Last try is without hook.

Thanks for your effort!

benq
  • benq

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:40 PM Edited by benq, 08 December 2008 - 10:13 PM.

If I modify any file the game didn't run..

I did this:

1-. Run magic.bat
2-. Patch filelist.pak
3-. Modify a file...

If I try to run the game on step 2, i can...

If i try to run the game on step 3 without step 2, i can't...

If I try to run the game on step 3 with step2, i can't..

Of Modifications:

I modified the file common\data\weaponinfo.xml .I can't [weaponinfo.xml.magic as original]
I modified the file common\data\weaponinfo.xml.magic .I can't [weaponinfo.xml as original]

BliND123
  • BliND123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

yeah all of them had .magic on the end of the files in files.txt.

hipshotgbg
  • hipshotgbg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (benq @ Dec 8 2008, 21:40)
If I modify any file the game didn't run..

I did this:

1-. Run magic.bat
2-. Patch filelist.pak
3-. Modify a file...

If I try to run the game on step 2, i can...

If i try to run the game on step 3 without step 2, i can't...

If I try to run the game on step 3 with step2, i can't..

Seems like my problem. Thank god I'm not the only one. smile.gif

KickyMcAssington
  • KickyMcAssington

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

I just want to make this absolutely crystal clear.

Do NOT use both the magic.bat mod fix and opium_addicts hook loader mod fix at the same time..
These are 2 different fix's that work in different ways, they will NOT work together, one or the other only biggrin.gif

Otherwise I have no experience with this fix as opium_addicts works perfectly for me (on XP), sorry I can't help you guys more.

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:43 AM

I think you missed this file in your Batch.

\common\data\fonts_r.dat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users