» «
Photo

Help with Grand theft Auto IV PC

1,839 replies to this topic
truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:04 AM Edited by truehighroller, 12 March 2009 - 11:13 AM.

QUOTE (zBobG @ Mar 12 2009, 02:08)
"Exception Code: c0000005" is almost always caused by bad memory, too overclocked memory or a too overclocked CPU. It may be that the problem is not the overclocking itself but is caused by the resultant overheating.

The exception means that an attempt was made to access memory that does not exist. Somehow the program was directed to read or write at a memory address that is simply wrong. If this continues to happen at random then the problem is most likely a hardware failure of the memory or a too aggressively overclocked CPU. It can also be a much more serious error caused by a motherboard failure but that is rare. A bad or marginal PSU can also cause this error to occur at random but you would see this error at any time the Computer was under a heavy load.

Your memory - Hyper X - is a high quality part and should be OK even when overclocked. Check in the BIOS or with CPU-Z to see that the memory is using the proper voltage.

Troubleshooting:
1. Remove any overclocking on memory and CPU (and possibly the GPU) and see if the error goes away.

2. Run the DOS (or boot CD) version of Memtest86+ v2.01 to completely test the memory. If the memory can pass this test with no errors it is likely OK.

3. In Windows, run Prime95 (one, two or three instances simultaneously) to test the CPU and memory performance combined. Run the 'torture test' from the Prime95 options menu. Prime95 will fail very quickly, within a minute or so, if there is any instability. Prime95 will display any error in calculation that it detects, if no errors are found then you have passed this test. The Prime95 test should be run for a half hour to an hour with no errors detected to be considered successful.

4. Check your BIOS CPU performance settings carefully. Various BIOSes have performance "speed-up" settings which can cause instability, one setting in particular is intended to enhance the CPU performance over short periods of time but in a game like GTA4 can cause random failures particularly if the CPU is already being overclocked.

Some motherboards have issues with prime95, I would tell people to use intelburntest if I was you. Also the CPU trying to clock it self down will cause issues as well this is known for when you are overclocking. There are so many things here you are missing. He could just need more voltage for his CPU. You mentioned memory voltage suprised you didn't mention this. Asus had an issue running Prime95 on their P45 motherboards and came out with a newer version BIOS that resolved this issue and just yesterday, on extremesystems forums I seen a guy who was describing a perfect case of where prime95 was having an issue with his motherboard but, intelburntest was fine. The lynpack is what Intel uses any way, I would say it is safer to go with what Intel uses.

badwog
  • badwog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

Thatz Heaps Guys For your Help Now i can Play The Game biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It waz just My OC Settings LOL!!!

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (badwog @ Mar 12 2009, 23:57)
Thatz Heaps Guys For your Help Now i can Play The Game biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It waz just My OC Settings LOL!!!

You are welcome. icon14.gif

MajorVienna
  • MajorVienna

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

Please delete everything pertaining to NAT in the next patch, The people behind SA-MP succeeded without it, I was extremely disappointed to find we get this great game only that you also provide us with (naturally, I call it) an unnecessary obstacle.

Or perhaps provide some support on how to get it from strict to open, I'm using my portable phone as a modem via USB, I don't want to hear stuff about how only cable broadband/dsl is supported, My phone is very fast and I can join games, I just get ejected after 5-10 minutes because my NAT is strict, or I get softly poofed off into making my own game when I clicked to JOIN one, that makes me rage.
Apologies for the aggressive vibe, I hope you understand.

PTC187
  • PTC187

Crips don't die we multiply

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

when I put high on texture quality on this first patch it's still low quality nothing happens help

syntax06
  • syntax06

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hello guys.

I have a problem. Big problem...

Like three weeks ago I was running on XP and GTA IV runned well with no non-fixable problems. Now I've upgraded to Vista sp1 Ultimate x64 where I get this error in the SETUP.
user posted image

I can't belive this is happening.... I installed San Andreas just to see what would happen... and... it install and play with no problem...
Oh yeah... older games work on new OS, but new games wont... suicidal.gif

Does anybody know how to fix this!? cryani.gif

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:17 PM Edited by truehighroller, 17 March 2009 - 07:19 PM.

QUOTE (syntax06 @ Mar 17 2009, 13:17)
Hello guys.

I have a problem. Big problem...

Like three weeks ago I was running on XP and GTA IV runned well with no non-fixable problems.  Now I've upgraded to Vista sp1 Ultimate x64 where I get this error in the SETUP.
user posted image

I can't belive this is happening.... I installed San Andreas just to see what would happen... and... it install and play with no problem...
Oh yeah... older games work on new OS, but new games wont...  suicidal.gif

Does anybody know how to fix this!?  cryani.gif

Interesting find you have there. Either your PC hasn't been shut off in a awhile and it has lost it's mind, or you need to turn off driver signing on your copy of Vista. That can be done by a dos command. Do a google for it. Besides for those couple of guesses, I'm clueless. I have installed it on my vista 64bit many times and never have received that error message. I turn off the driver siging with every new install of vista to though so...

syntax06
  • syntax06

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

i have turned off driver signing and still get the error... mercie_blink.gif thanks anyway.

anybody else with an idea?

PcBuilder15
  • PcBuilder15

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

DOWNGRADE BACK TO XP!!!!

Seriously though Vista really is not worth the trouble whith as many problems it still has.... It also install and loads stuff slower than XP with the exact same machine..... So I would just downgrade back unless there is a reaon you had to have Vista.

syntax06
  • syntax06

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (PcBuilder15 @ Mar 17 2009, 20:47)
DOWNGRADE BACK TO XP!!!!

Seriously though Vista really is not worth the trouble whith as many problems it still has.... It also install and loads stuff slower than XP with the exact same machine..... So I would just downgrade back unless there is a reaon you had to have Vista.

actually I upgraded to vista because XP was slow at opening programs and os itself. now at vista everything goes smoothly.

could the error be because a mainboard driver is missing or not the right version?

stormfrog
  • stormfrog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:40 PM Edited by stormfrog, 17 March 2009 - 10:44 PM.

You really do have some guts Mr Technical Support! I must give you credit for that.

First you release a game that is so completely crap loaded with bugs and leaking memory that no system in the known universe is able to play it. Then you claim that a "small number of fans" are having technical troubles. While in reality I doubt you have even properly tested this game on more than a very limited number of systems? Maybe this game runs fine on your developer machines equipped with who-knows-what unlikely hardware? But it certainly doesn't run on any machine your fan base knows of. Maybe you just forgot about the conversion part and forced the XBOX code to run in a PC emulator? Whatever you did it has to be the worst work ever in game creation history.

I have a hard time putting it into words that you would understand. But try and picture this scenario:
You are buying a pair of pants. At the store they look really good but when you take them home you realize buttons are missing and the zipper is all messed up. If you try to wear them they just fall down. Apart from that you notice that the fabric is actually plastic... and wait, they were made backwards... and hey one of the legs are missing. You are really frustrated when you discover a note from the designers in one of the pockets that says "If for some reason find that these pants does not fit you, then it is all your fault... we do not make mistakes".

If I had bought a pair of pants like that I would have returned them to the store, forced the salesman of those pants to give me his/her mothers telephone number and then phoned her mother and told her with an idiot her son/daughter are.

So, please tell me. In what way is it OK to sell people a product that is so obviously broken that no one can use it? Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves. The irony is that you will loose ALOT of fans because of this. In what way will this promote your company in the future? I for my part will never buy a Rockstar game EVER again. Just as I will never buy a game Betheseda after their horrible failure with Oblivion (the difference with Oblivion and GTA IV is - however - that Oblivion was possible to make playable if you spent a few hours in the configuration files... GTA IV doesn not even give you that oppertunity).

Any decent game software company would have released a hotfix that solved performance and memory leaks hours or at most days after the release of their product - because they would realize how much a complete failure like this would damage their trademark. And furthermore, what you claim to be a "few fans" having troubles is really everyone that are smart enough to realize a game played on a top notch system should perform alot better or at the very least produce 60 fps on medium settings. Instead GTA IV gives you far below that, and after a while sends your system to a crawl after some 30 minutes of play.

My system has 16Gb RAM, a dedicated RAID for swap. After 30-40 minutes of play the game has used up all memory. Its actually rather hilarious that Rockstar devs are so fundamentally incompetent =)

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:50 PM Edited by truehighroller, 17 March 2009 - 10:58 PM.

QUOTE (syntax06 @ Mar 17 2009, 15:29)
i have turned off driver signing and still get the error...  mercie_blink.gif    thanks anyway.

anybody  else with an idea?

Your not on service pack 1 yet?

Edit: If that isn't it then I say delete the installation files and wipe out any folders and files left behind, do a reboot and try installation again because something must have been corrupted some how during install. Then, I would say to check your overclock if you have one and if not, test your PCs stability any way. The memory and the CPU.

Edit again @ stormfrog: lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif suicidal.gif suicidal.gif suicidal.gif suicidal.gif I have said this as well but, you worded it a lot more nicely then I was able to.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:23 AM Edited by mkey82, 18 March 2009 - 08:28 AM.

QUOTE (stormfrog @ Mar 18 2009, 00:40)
... and hey one of the legs are missing. You are really frustrated when you discover a note from the designers in one of the pockets that says "If for some reason find that these pants does not fit you, then it is all your fault... we do not make mistakes".

biggrin.gif Just cut one of your legs and it will fit you fine.

obviously broken that no one can use it?

This is not true. *many* people can't play the game, a lot of them with high end machines, but surely not everyone.

Oblivion was possible to make playable if you spent a few hours in the configuration files

I played Oblivion "OK" on a 3GHz Prescott and Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB with 512 MB of RAM on XP. I was getting 20ish FPS and deemed it playable. What system did you use?

Any decent game software company would have released a hotfix that solved performance and memory leaks hours or at most days after the release of their product

I don't see any major title that has been released in this state. Which company could have fixed a game with so many issues in matter of days? None.

- because they would realize how much a complete failure like this would damage their trademark.

There is a "PC trademark" and there are "console trademarks". Guess which is more important?

at the very least produce 60 fps on medium settings.

From the start I though this was bullsh*t, but then ... I get almost 40FPS average so if coded properly, this could/should be achievable.

My system has 16Gb RAM, a dedicated RAID for swap. After 30-40 minutes of play the game has used up all memory.

Are you sure about this one? I found out that on my system GTA IV eats about 700MB 1.5GB of RAM per hour. 30GB/hour memory leak seems just a tad extreme.

DrFPS
  • DrFPS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Mar 18 2009, 08:23)

My system has 16Gb RAM, a dedicated RAID for swap. After 30-40 minutes of play the game has used up all memory.

Are you sure about this one? I found out that on my system GTA IV eats about 700MB 1.5GB of RAM per hour. 30GB/hour memory leak seems just a tad extreme.

You don't get it, do you? It shouldn't eat ram at all. It should, like every program out there refresh the ram. SO maybe it wouldn't crash DOH blush.gif

The crowd rises to their feet. A very loud storm of applauds erupts forth. In unison a bravo, BRAVO: stormfrog. Very well written....

r* caught stealing candy from baby's. Reason because they can...

Its all good stromfrog. Take it back demand your money back. These hacks won't be in business much longer cryani.gif They are going down, with a sinking ship.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (DrFPS @ Mar 19 2009, 01:05)
You don't get it, do you? It shouldn't eat ram at all.

The question is do I understand, but can you read?

Of course any application shouldn't behave like GTA IV does, but there's a distinct difference between a 1.5GB/hour and 30GB/hour leak. It's twenty times more, i.e. GTA IV on his machine eats up memory 20 times faster.

I say something's wrong with this picture.

rainbow2009
  • rainbow2009

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

pret auto
I have no idea ^^ tounge.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif moto_whistle.gif

wasteddog
  • wasteddog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Would it be any possibility that the next patch will contain fix for 4870X2's poor performance?
I am sick of it..... buring my fxxxing money and return nothing I want

LincolnB
  • LincolnB

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Great post. I learned a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Keep up the good work guys.

I always play GTA every other day. I love this game.

MOD NOTE :- DO NOT ADVERTISE IN TOPICS - cc

ranmori
  • ranmori

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

Thanks a bunch guys. icon14.gif lol.gif

simulation credit auto

BKwegoharder
  • BKwegoharder

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (stormfrog @ Mar 17 2009, 22:40)
My system has 16Gb RAM, a dedicated RAID for swap. After 30-40 minutes of play the game has used up all memory. Its actually rather hilarious that Rockstar devs are so fundamentally incompetent =)

That's impossible. GTA 4 is a 32 bit executable program. most 32 bit programs are only allowed 2GB of ram to use, but through some tricky programming you can squeeze out 4GB of ram to use. Since GTA 4 is a 32 bit program it can't possibly use 16GB of ram. Maybe it used up all of your vram and showed an out of memory warning.

catherinecarter85
  • catherinecarter85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:54 AM

You think it's going to win game of the year? smile.gif cry.gif

pret auto

Mattee
  • Mattee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Where exactly in the game you experienced the issue (start screen, while playing the game, etc.): while im driving around in a car,running or fighting the game laggs really bad and the game reacts like 5 seconds after i pushed the w button wich is move forward by default
-What version of the game you have (retail, steam, other online store): retail
-What is your OS: windows 7 rc
-Benchmark info or DxDiag is also helpful:

here is some dxdiag info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (7100.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700)
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM @ 667Mhz
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 512 mb memory

if u need more info please tell me smile.gif

i hope u can help me with getting the pc version of GTA IV to not lagg so bad, sometimes its nearly freezing aswell

truecolor10
  • truecolor10

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:17 AM

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif Sorry I can't help. I'm not an expert on this field

Mod Note:- yeah like we are going to fall for you putting in a hidden link you spastic - cc

Victory_is_upon_us!
  • Victory_is_upon_us!

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

i've installed the patch.. but when i'm trying to start my GTA it won't work nervous.gif confused.gif angry.gif

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Victory_is_upon_us! @ Jun 11 2009, 11:23)
i've installed the patch.. but when i'm trying to start my GTA it won't work nervous.gif confused.gif angry.gif

Did you crack your game? Cause if you did then the crack's the problem.

kennedyusa058
  • kennedyusa058

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:28 AM

Here ya go. Thanks for the support guys! inlove.gif

pret auto

Arski
  • Arski

monkey driver

• Members

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

is a patch 1.0.4 Coming? it needs to fix the anti aliasing and better shadows, i am really waiting for one! smile.gif

mags89
  • mags89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (truehighroller @ Feb 26 2009, 17:05)
QUOTE (Kisa1990 @ Feb 26 2009, 16:34)
Hello! I need help with mission "out of comission" in revenge branch. When I jump onto helicopter, I tap space repeatedly, but Nico falls into the river. What did I do wrong? maybe someone can tell me?

You are not tapping it fast enough. Seriously.

really man...i tap like crazy but then i still cant climb the helicopter...plus i bought a new keyboard for it...but it doesnt help...

mags89
  • mags89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

anybody got any tips for tapping the space fast enough??? smile.gif

thaCURSEDpie
  • thaCURSEDpie

GTA:IV scripter

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:35 PM Edited by thaCURSEDpie, 23 June 2009 - 03:47 PM.

QUOTE (mags89 @ Jun 23 2009, 14:46)
anybody got any tips for tapping the space fast enough??? smile.gif

yeah, use GlovePIE. Thats a program you can use to make autoclickers and stuff like that. (that's what I use it for. And a panic button smile.gif . 1 mouse click = Alt +F4

Lemme search for you...

Ok, found it. Get glovepie here:
http://carl.kenner.g...ovepie_download

Open it, past this script in it:
CODE

if (Key.M) { //Change to different key if you want!
Key.Space = 1 // leave this stuff.
Key.Space = 0
Key.Space = 0
Key.Space = 0
}

Now safe it somewhere. Then press "Run". Now if you hold the key you chose (M default), the Space key will be pressed FAST.
To stop the program, simply press "stop"

EDIT2:
With this I can get 392 mouseclicks in 10 seconds! tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users