Help with Grand theft Auto IV PC

1,839 replies to this topic
One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (MaxAwesome @ Dec 6 2008, 11:32)
So yes, I do believe that even a modest low-end C2D should be enough to handle whatever physics engine GTA 4 is sporting.

No if the Euphoria was run under an emulated Xbox 360 mode, which needs at least a triple core 3.2 GHz CPU, even if the PC CPU is like 1000x better than the 360's one.

MaxAwesome
  • MaxAwesome

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (One-time @ Dec 6 2008, 04:44)
QUOTE (MaxAwesome @ Dec 6 2008, 11:32)
So yes, I do believe that even a modest low-end C2D should be enough to handle whatever physics engine GTA 4 is sporting.

No if the Euphoria was run under an emulated Xbox 360 mode, which needs at least a triple core 3.2 GHz CPU, even if the PC CPU is like 1000x better than the 360's one.

That settles it then. It's just a case of a bad port.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the PC version of GTA 4 is just one big jerky emulator... I read somewhere around these forums that a DOS box pops up when u start the game... sarcasm.gif

Haven't seen that since what... Win 95?

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:50 AM Edited by corvettelover, 06 December 2008 - 04:54 AM.

Okay,

I know you probably won't answer me for several reasons (including the fact the my GPU is under the Minimum Requirements)

Will the new 8.12 ATi Driver affect the ATi Radeon x1300?

And will car damage for X1900 and Below cards be added via. Drivers or Patch?

Thank You.

JasonThummel
  • JasonThummel

Modeler

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:51 AM

I constantly have a dos box open in the background, what is that all about?

smooth-orpeal
  • smooth-orpeal

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

devil.gif suicidal.gif

guess who is on the right side... rahkstar2.gif rah.gif rah.gif

One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (MaxAwesome @ Dec 6 2008, 11:49)
That settles it then. It's just a case of a bad port.

That's why the requirements includes a AMD x3 CPU, which has the same core amount like the 360's one. If you play the game on a quad core, you can see that three of those cores are using like 70-90% of its whole capabilities, while the other one barely uses 20% or less.

MattHackin
  • MattHackin

"Just admiring the shape of your skull."

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (RedSue @ Dec 6 2008, 04:25)
There is a whole thread about the missing textures problem. All my friends and i experienced that problem ourselves. We paid 50€ each for a Liberty City poster map. I am glad Rockstar wrote SOMEthing, but they did not mention the textures at all?!?!

Without those textures, we cannot play your games. Oh and by the way, stores won't take installed games back, so pleaaase include this problem in your Patch!!!

Yes! Please include a fix to the missing texture problem. At first I thought it was just my crappy rig, but people with high end rigs are also experiencing this problem so it is a rockstar related issue. FIX MISSING TEXTURES PLEASE!! So keen to play this game!!

xavier00
  • xavier00

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:07 AM Edited by xavier00, 06 December 2008 - 05:22 AM.

because rockstar is watching,and they know this game had the potential to become the greatest multiplayer game of all time but it has become more like frontlines fuel of war...too litle too late ,,,please ,,,take an example of battlefield 2 perhaps the greatest multiplayer game of all time,,let players become medics and heal teamates, capture the flag ,,,have spawn time etc .,,,, ,and fix this game play so this game can compete with the best out there,we pc gamers have to let them know wat we want because it seems that they dont know what a great multiplayer game looks like,,they are used to consoles,,,,we pc gamers are hardcore ,,,i guess im back to playing left 4 dead until they have a patch to fix this game i have a quad prossesor /nvidia 8800 gts 620 mg/3 gigs of ram and some choppy fps

villin
  • villin

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:09 AM

I would like to extend my thanks! I am already enjoying the game... the improvements you suggest will only make my experience better!

DaleyG
  • DaleyG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

An option to disable shadows will be great (especially for low/mid end users!)

Kraiden
  • Kraiden

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:27 AM

I'll be honest, Rockstar. You guys have f*cked up. I at least expected you guys to release a PC game that was at least playable, but it seems you've gone the ways of EA and put the consumer last. I don't have a problem with the DRM or even activating online, but forcing us to register for your social club was a pretty low move. But the fact that GTA IV is so utterly unoptimised and bug-ridden is nothing more than a giant kick in the nuts. I think I speak for everyone here who is having issues that what you've released has seriously done you some damage, credibility wise. I gladly handed over $100 and bought this on the release day, expecting to have a working game, but this'll be the last time I do something like that for a rockstar product, at least until I can confirm that whatever you release on the PC in the future won't be another GTA IV mishap

I can understand bugs on release, but when a game is quite literally unplayable, that makes me regret spending money on it.

It's simple. Optimise it better, make it more friendly on people's computers, and fix up the shocking texture problem. I do have to say, however, That the fact you didn't even mention it as a concern just shows you're sticking your head in the sand.

BiGoNeNZ
  • BiGoNeNZ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hoping the nVidia 180 drivers improve things ??!??

I was surprised - like most ppl - that my Q6600 2.4ghz /4GB DDR 300 RAM /8600GT /XP Pro 32 ran it so slowly! Bit of a let down. It plays, but not as well as expected. Low render setting and Low Texture Settings at 1024x768 on a 1680x1050 monitor! Will post specifics when im back on that PC which is at my workplace smile.gif smile.gif

On the flipside i'm confident / hopeful that all issues will be ironed out if Rockstar want to keep their PC audience!

My last PC GTA game was Vice City - i then bought a PS2 specifically for GTA:SA and LC/VC stories- my current rig was in part to run GTA IV and im almost wishing i'd got a PS3 instead. Please dont let me down Rockstar!!!!

painguy
  • painguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:29 AM

Ok what makes me angry the most is how i can run crysis with all settings very high, with an 8800GTX, 2GB of RAM, a Intel Core2 Extreme Processor X6800 (2.93GHz OC'd to 3.46GHz,1066FSB w/Dual Core Technology and 4MB cache, at 1680x1050 with 27-65 fps and with this game i get 9-18 fps. What happened? why does it run so badly? Im sorry to say, but did u even try testing the game before you released it? please optimize the game. Is it the engine or Euphoria. Whatever it is both u and i know GTA4 should not be more demanding than crysis.

DeadlyAvenger
  • DeadlyAvenger

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (BiGoNeNZ @ Dec 6 2008, 05:28)
Hoping the nVidia 180 drivers improve things ??!??

This is how "great" those new drivers are, solved the “GTA IV Fatal Error: RESC10” crash I was getting, and replaced it with this:

dkm87
  • dkm87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

Id like to take this chance to thank R* and give them credit here.

Although the game wasnt a perfect release - at leats they are here - reading the forums and trying to work with us. Sure we buy a game - and expect that when we pay for something it should - but the next bext thing is having them onboard to work with us!

Guys/girls please dont sit here and flame them - its nto going to help!!

I run a 3.2 AMD dual core - which only runs a 2mb cache. But no matter what res i run - the CPU is stil being run off its feet at 100% for almost both cores. I run a 9600GT 512 card (will be running 2 as soon as SLI support is available). Im not sure why - but the card isnt running too hot, but the cpu no matter what res is getting its arse kicked!! Do you know what can be done?

Rod6er
  • Rod6er

Teh Mighty Bonghole

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:34 AM Edited by Rod6er, 06 December 2008 - 05:36 AM.

QUOTE (painguy @ Dec 6 2008, 05:29)
Ok what makes me angry the most is how i can run crysis with all settings very high, with an 8800GTX, 2GB of RAM, a Intel Core2 Extreme Processor X6800 (2.93GHz OC'd to 3.46GHz,1066FSB w/Dual Core Technology and 4MB cache, at 1680x1050 with 27-65 fps and with this game i get 9-18 fps. What happened? why does it run so badly? Im sorry to say, but did u even try testing the game before you released it? please optimize the game. Is it the engine or Euphoria. Whatever it is both u and i know GTA4 should not be more demanding than crysis.

blablabla blabla blablablabla blabla the world revolves around me blablabla insert x game fps ratings blablabla

f*ck u rock* blablabla insert childlish rant blablabla will never buy again blabla

man life must be hard for some of you guys.

poster above me, resolution affects GPU ratings not CPU, CPU is affected by traffic density/render quality/view distance/detail distance/shadows.

thats why my crappy CPU (5200+) can still run high textures and 1680*1050, the 8800GTX saves it from fiery hell.

One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (dkm87 @ Dec 6 2008, 12:32)
I run a 3.2 AMD dual core - which only runs a 2mb cache. But no matter what res i run - the CPU is stil being run off its feet at 100% for almost both cores. I run a 9600GT 512 card (will be running 2 as soon as SLI support is available). Im not sure why - but the card isnt running too hot, but the cpu no matter what res is getting its arse kicked!! Do you know what can be done?

QUOTE (One-time @ Dec 6 2008, 11:44)

QUOTE (One-time @ Dec 6 2008, 12:00)
That's why the requirements includes a AMD x3 CPU, which has the same core amount like the 360's one. If you play the game on a quad core, you can see that three of those cores are using like 70-90% of its whole capabilities, while the other one barely uses 20% or less.

Jeremy252
  • Jeremy252

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Kraiden @ Dec 6 2008, 05:27)
I think I speak for everyone here

No you don't. Speak for yourself.

Zcool31
  • Zcool31

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:55 AM Edited by Zcool31, 06 December 2008 - 05:58 AM.

I've been all over every forum looking for a fix for this, and I'm not the only one either.

The game runs fine with an offline windows live account. Whenever I try to sign in with my online LIve account, the game simply crashes to the desktop. Interestingly, if I log in with wrong info (wrong password for example) the game tells me that It can't find my account. If I put in the right email and password, it says "Downloading profile, this might take a few minutes, please don't close the game." then just crashes to the desktop with the message "GTA IV has stopped working" and no other information. I've emailed and called about this, but nothing helps.

See this record:

Windows Live login crashes. [Incident: 081204-000623]‏

And single player with an offline account works just fine (except for somewhat poor performance for not such great graphics.)
Btw I just won my first race with Brucie the steroid junkie. The guy's a moron, but he's so hilarious.

JasonThummel
  • JasonThummel

Modeler

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Rockstar, that graphics driver patch works for my 7800GTX. It looks amazing even on my 3 year old computer smile.gif but I still get this error after I ALT+Tab the game:
user posted image
I hope this helps.

And to everyone else who is using this opportunity to just rip at this guy, it isn't helping. It's actually making him read through a bunch of sh*t that is completely unnecessary.

DeadlyAvenger
  • DeadlyAvenger

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (dkm87 @ Dec 6 2008, 05:32)
Id like to take this chance to thank R* and give them credit here.

<snip>

Guys/girls please dont sit here and flame them - its nto going to help!!

Normally I wouldn't be so harsh in my posts (done a few on here in the last few hours!) But after Far Cry 2 (I know, nothing to do with Rockstar) I am just SICK of buying PC games that don't even remotely work out of the box.

It is just NOT acceptable at all. I am not paying good money (especially in these financial climates) to become a Rockstar beta tester.

I totally understand that bugs are part of the course with software, but to not work AT ALL (for me anyway) out of the box is taking the piss. I have not managed to play 1 second of the game, and, as we all know, we can't take PC games back to the shop for a refund.

So while I'm happy they have acknowledged there is an issue, the fact remains, the issues people are having are not minor niggles, but major failures that should not happen on this scale.

Philll
  • Philll

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 04:11)
QUOTE (Philll @ Dec 6 2008, 04:03)
QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 04:00)
QUOTE (oc student @ Dec 6 2008, 03:46)
QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 03:41)
Dear Rockstar. Things what should you do are:
Fix the memory leaking. I think that causes the massive lag but I'm not sure. When not then also fix the lag because lag is the biggest problem.
Check over your code, maybe there is a error somewhere.
You should "teach" to this game how to use GPU more. It isn't using all resources. When I played FC2 etc then my GPU got a lot more hotter than with GTA IV. So it looks like it doesn't take full advantages of the GPU.
Textures are getting lost for some people. There is no AA. It doesn't support SLI/Crossfire but that doesn't matter, those things can be fixed later smile.gif . Right now it is important to teach this game how to take full advantage of the GPU and how to stress it. Ofc also fix crashes and errors.

Oh yeah and more naked tits and pu**ys!! biggrin.gif j/k j/k  turn.gif

I'm sure it bottlenecks your CPU first then your 8800GT.

I'm not. Well even if it is bottleneck because it is not quad but i still should be able to play this game with at least medium/high at 1280x1024 smoothly and View Distance at 25 and Detail Distance at 37, Vehicle Density 26 and shadow density 3. Because this guy right here has http://dethica.pri.e...4 1/gta4 1.html E4300 3GHz and 9600GT 482MB and 2GB ADATA DDR2 800MHz and he runs this game with those settings and he gets good fps. My 8800GT and E8400 GHz and RAM are better than his so I should be able to run this game with the same specs and same smoothly, even better.

And my 4870X2 smokes your 8800GT, but its got nothing to do with it, because the way the game works is in no way directly proportional to the way you can run the game.

People with 8800GTX's are getting better frame rates then me.

Well thats why you have to tweak your game. Use command line tweaking, DL new nvidia drivers etc.

Well I think I'll stop talking to you now as you just told my to update my 4870X2 with Nvidia drivers. Half of you can't even spell and your posts are so unintelligent. I wouldn't blame them for not replying again. Rocstar? It's Rockstar, and it scares me more that he typed it that way more than once.

Rod6er
  • Rod6er

Teh Mighty Bonghole

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

dont alt-tab, bad idea.

why are you alt-tabbing anyways? you should be busy playing mercie_blink.gif

Zcool31
  • Zcool31

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

It's almost 1AM here. I hope Micro$oft work 24/7 because I want this patch NOW!!!!!!11111elevenone

The game still crashes when I try to log into live. All u ppl with GeForce 7 series are lucky you can even run it.
I feel so abandoned that I'm still having this problem, multiplayer isn't working at all. Cant sign into live without crashing the game. All the right ports are open, firewall is down, started computer from clean boot (no background software) still the game crashes. I don't know if this is MicroShaft's fault or R*, but whoever: GO FIX TTHIS PLOX.
I WAN TMULTIPLAJER!

waldoribeiro
  • waldoribeiro

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

What most of you misunderstand is that they said it includes a VARIETY of fixes including.....
What is listed is included but there are still other fixes as well.

torresno9
  • torresno9

Rat

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:05 AM Edited by torresno9, 06 December 2008 - 06:08 AM.

QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 04:11)
QUOTE (Philll @ Dec 6 2008, 04:03)
QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 04:00)
QUOTE (oc student @ Dec 6 2008, 03:46)
QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 03:41)
Dear Rockstar. Things what should you do are:
Fix the memory leaking. I think that causes the massive lag but I'm not sure. When not then also fix the lag because lag is the biggest problem.
Check over your code, maybe there is a error somewhere.
You should "teach" to this game how to use GPU more. It isn't using all resources. When I played FC2 etc then my GPU got a lot more hotter than with GTA IV. So it looks like it doesn't take full advantages of the GPU.
Textures are getting lost for some people. There is no AA. It doesn't support SLI/Crossfire but that doesn't matter, those things can be fixed later smile.gif . Right now it is important to teach this game how to take full advantage of the GPU and how to stress it. Ofc also fix crashes and errors.

Oh yeah and more naked tits and pu**ys!! biggrin.gif j/k j/k  turn.gif

I'm sure it bottlenecks your CPU first then your 8800GT.

I'm not. Well even if it is bottleneck because it is not quad but i still should be able to play this game with at least medium/high at 1280x1024 smoothly and View Distance at 25 and Detail Distance at 37, Vehicle Density 26 and shadow density 3. Because this guy right here has http://dethica.pri.e...4 1/gta4 1.html E4300 3GHz and 9600GT 482MB and 2GB ADATA DDR2 800MHz and he runs this game with those settings and he gets good fps. My 8800GT and E8400 GHz and RAM are better than his so I should be able to run this game with the same specs and same smoothly, even better.

And my 4870X2 smokes your 8800GT, but its got nothing to do with it, because the way the game works is in no way directly proportional to the way you can run the game.

People with 8800GTX's are getting better frame rates then me.

Well thats why you have to tweak your game. Use command line tweaking, DL new nvidia drivers etc.

biggrin.gif lol yeah download new nvidia drivers for a 4870x2, that'll fix it biggrin.gif

and thanks to rockstar for posting on here, any chance we can use all our mouse buttons please tounge.gif

Zcool31
  • Zcool31

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (waldoribeiro @ Dec 6 2008, 06:05)
What most of you misunderstand is that they said it includes a VARIETY of fixes including.....
What is listed is included but there are still other fixes as well.

There better be, or I'll be seriously pissed. I've literally never had so much trouble with any PC game EVER!!!!
Take the Call of Duty series for example. Each game is highly optimized, very good looking for its time, simple to install, simple to get running.
CoD4 and CoD5 are both out on PC, Xbox360, and PS3. Yet for each game, each version works just perfect on any console. Its a pleasure to play those games, not a headache. They JUST WORK. Learn from them.

And I can run Far Cry 2 on all maximum settings (except AA), and the game looks so much better than GTA 4, with less lag.

Trackah123
  • Trackah123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

Good that there is a patch on the way.
Hopefully the 2nd patch will have the shadow/AA fix on their to-do list.

And again this texture problem can be fixed. Use Driver Sweeper and if possible Driver Cleaner.NET, then reinstall latest forceware drivers or ati whatever , should fix it.
Uninstall Rivatuner , causing instant texture problems.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=379756 <-- read here how to. but now instead of 180.60 use 180.84 drivers (NVIDIA Users).

Snypr18
  • Snypr18

meh

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:26 AM Edited by Snypr18, 06 December 2008 - 06:30 AM.

Many thanks Rockstar for getting to work fixing these issues early on. I am significantly disappointed in the performance of the game out of the box, but whats done is done.

I downloaded and installed the 180.84 patch.

My system specs are:

e6600 @ 2.4 ghz (stock)
4gb 800mhz ddr2
eVGA 8800gtx 768 (stock)

My performance before 180.84 was about 33 fps, running
Textures on high
Render quality on low
ViewDistance @ 40
DetailDistance @ 40
Traffic @ 30
Shadows @ 0
Res @ 1680 x 1050

Since 180.84, I saw NO boost in fps, BUT the game does run much smoother. Stuttering has decreased significantly. I highly recommend this patch to all Nvidia users.

It should be noted that my ammunition counter does not display on my HUD anymore. I upgraded from 178.24 to 180.84.

My system is as follows:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/13/07 21:59:00 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1284MB used, 7127MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode
Motherboard: Asus P5b-e
Display Adapter: EVGA 8800gtx

Im not going to clutter these forums with the full Dxdiag, I will pm your account with the entire list.

smokeringhalo
  • smokeringhalo

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:31 AM Edited by smokeringhalo, 11 December 2008 - 08:02 AM.

I have a 7950GT 512 MB x 2 SLI setup (currently only using one card) and the 180.84 Driver has made no difference over the 180.70 driver.
I still have graphical artifacts & missing textures/HUD at times. I still have freeze ups when trying to export from the video editor & other times I lock up randomly. Shadows still look horrible. I also have no fps increase. This driver did NOT solve the issues facing 7 series cards.

As for the future patch, how about something that could really help the lower end rigs like the ability to turn off shadows & reflections completely.
This should have been included anyway imo and I bet my fps would go through the roof if I had been given the ability to turn them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users