Photo

Help with Grand theft Auto IV PC

1,839 replies to this topic
Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:01 AM Edited by Rockstar Toronto, 10 December 2008 - 04:30 PM.

Hey guys,

We've been reading the forums and understand that several of you are experiencing difficulties with Grand Theft Auto IV PC, and we are committed to doing everything we can to help resolve these troubles. We are working on a number of solutions, outlined below, and over the next few days we will be responding to questions posed on this forum in an effort to get your game up and running as quickly as possible. Please continue to check the list below for updates.

Driver News
We’re pleased to announce that in co-operation with Nvidia a new driver has been released that improves performance and fixes a major issue with 7900 series cards. If you haven’t gotten the driver yet download it here: http://www.nzone.com..._downloads.html

ATI has now released Catalyst 8.12 download them here: http://game.amd.com. Expect significant performance improvements when using this new driver.

Patch Is On The Way
We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.
The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays
-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
-Overall savings to memory
-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
-Multiplayer character settings are preserved
-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

Besides the patch we’ve also improved the way the Social Club handles data this should have greatly reduced or eliminated the Mma10 error. If you are still receiving this error after logging in and out of Social Club we would like to know as much info as you can about it.

Information Needed For Troubleshooting
We want everyone to experience Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC the way it was intended. To that end, we will continue to monitor the forums for any and all issues users are having, and respond whenever possible. We would greatly appreciate it if people with unresolved problems could post some information about their PC configuration in this thread for us. Please include the following information:

-Where exactly in the game you experienced the issue (start screen, while playing the game, etc.)
-What version of the game you have (retail, steam, other online store)
-What is your OS
-Benchmark info or DxDiag is also helpful

Rockstar Games Social Club Application Info
Due to the high volume of new Social Club users, some users may have experienced periods of time where they are unable to log into their Social Club account using the Rockstar Games Social Club application. If you are unable to log in using the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please skip the login process by clicking "Skip Login" or run in offline mode by clicking "Start in Offline Mode". This is meant as a temporary solution to allow users to play GTA IV PC, so please continue to periodically retry your login as we are working hard to promptly address any lapses in service.

A small number of users have reported the Rockstar Games Social Club application encountering a fatal error, preventing them from playing GTA IV PC. One possible solution is to uninstall the .NET Framework (from Add/Remove Programs) and reinstall it by downloading it from http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en. If you continue to run into fatal errors in the Rockstar Games Social Club application, please contact Rockstar Games support.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to resolve these issues. Support updates will continue to be posted at www.rockstargames.com/support as soon as they are available, and we will update this thread with any new information as well. Please send any inquiries about non-support issues to [email protected].

Thanks,
Rockstar Games

UPDATE - Since this thread is already getting so long we are asking everyone to post in this newly setup forum:
http://www.gtaforums...p?showforum=233

This way we can better keep track of issues and have things be better organized.

slowrider
  • slowrider

Mr. Boring Over Here

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:03 AM Edited by slowrider, 06 December 2008 - 02:06 AM.

you show your face, at last. good to know you're on the case.

edit: does the 'overall savings to memory' mean the memory leak is sorted? oh, m-soft has to certify it first? that's it, we're screwed.

Sub12
  • Sub12

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

Thank you so much for the update. I hope you are keeping a tab on all the errors which are popping up here. My main concerns right now are:

- Shadows
- Anti aliasing

I hope the patch is released by the end of this week.

Shof
  • Shof

Thug

• Members

so patch is out by next week?

Krieger91
  • Krieger91

Player Hater

• Members

Thank god, much appreciated.

seven macaw
  • seven macaw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

"ATI 8.12... Expect significant performance improvements when using this new driver. "

Excellent news!

Knyte
  • Knyte

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 6 2008, 02:01)
The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays
-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
-Overall savings to memory
-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
-Multiplayer character settings are preserved
-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

There is no mention of any code optimization regarding the graphic performance. Which seems to be the number one complaint among everyone.

The official word is that this is a "Next Gen" game, and only newer hardware will improve the performance. However, in the game's current state, many people can get the same (albeit, low) framrates regardless of detail settings, which means that something is not right.

Also, from personal use, I can see that this game is not pushing the video card to it's full potential. Any other newer game I play (COD4 & 5, FarCry 2, etc.) run the temp of my 9800GT card up to 85c - 90c while I am playing. GTA IV never heats the card up past 75c. Which means the card isn't running as hard.

Any response to these issues would be greatly appriciated. Also, thank you for taking the time to fill us in on what's going on, and letting your loyal fans know that you guys are trying to make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

MooCube
  • MooCube

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Will the issue where the scenery is redrawn everytime you turn around be addressed? Currently, if you turn around, and turn back again, you can see buildings, trees, bushes etc being redrawn each time, and can see the LoD models fading from low res to high res.

This is occurring on my

Q6600
8800GTS 320meg
2 gig ram

Windows XP

Retail boxed copy

Dreakon
  • Dreakon

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 5 2008, 22:01)
ATI has also agreed to officially release Catalyst 8.12 which will release on Dec 10th from http://game.amd.com. Expect significant performance improvements when using this new driver.

What're the odds of a set of AGP hotfix drivers for this one? The 8.11 drivers never had one. sad.gif

YoungGun
  • YoungGun

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

Wow. Suprised to see someone from rockstar really post here. guess they do care somewhat atleace..

But yea, please fix the AA and Shadows.
Does the new drivers improve performance that much? I would like to know before I install beta drivers.

Apo-TTCC
  • Apo-TTCC

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (Sub12 @ Dec 6 2008, 04:04)
Thank you so much for the update. I hope you are keeping a tab on all the errors which are popping up here. My main concerns right now are:

- Shadows
- Anti aliasing

It was mentioned over at Guru3D forums that the new Nvidia 180.84 Beta driver allows forcing AA in GTA IV.

Sub12
  • Sub12

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Apo-TTCC @ Dec 6 2008, 02:15)
QUOTE (Sub12 @ Dec 6 2008, 04:04)

- Shadows
- Anti aliasing

It was mentioned over at Guru3D forums that the new Nvidia 180.84 Beta driver allows forcing AA in GTA IV.

Yup, I saw that. That's just one person though, I am waiting for a clarification from some other gamers.

But the shadows are terrible, they need to be fixed ASAP. I hope by "X1900 shadows" they mean those shadows in general.

Also, the patch is ready and being approved by Microsoft, so I hope it's released today or tomorrow.

xavier00
  • xavier00

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

incredible i thought they did not care!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

slowrider
  • slowrider

Mr. Boring Over Here

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Sub12 @ Dec 6 2008, 02:17)
Also, the patch is ready and being approved by Microsoft, so I hope it's released today or tomorrow.

that's what worries me. microsoft. i'm sure that we'll get it soon enough, but the fact that they have to process it is just pointless.

lh1
  • lh1

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:20 AM

I think the patch will available exclusively on GFW - Live biggrin.gif

evilrex
  • evilrex

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for informing us, it's nice to see that R* games are acknowledging our reports. smile.gif

iashraf
  • iashraf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:23 AM Edited by iashraf, 06 December 2008 - 02:28 AM.

When can we see the NVIDIA driver for M GPU's - that driver does not work on laptops

Specs:
Vista SP1 32b
8600M GT
C2D 2.0GHz

(get avg of 20-30 FPS, game quite playable // all settings on the lowest possible, looks a lot like san andreas tounge.gif )

mahen
  • mahen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

yea rockstar...wat bout other issues eg. dual core optimization, graphic performance, AA ??

do you plan to release a second patch later?

do reply rockstar....

MMhardKy
  • MMhardKy

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

PROPER SLI SUPPORT PLEASE!

extender
  • extender

W00t

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

Does the overall savings to memory means that you will fix the memory leak? I HOPE SO.

mouldy_punk
  • mouldy_punk

Stuff of legends

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

In spirit of;
We would greatly appreciate it if people with unresolved problems could post some information about their PC configuration in this thread for us. Please include the following information:

Here's a pretty big issue.

I have the Steam version of the game, when I (eventually) downloaded it, the game loaded and ran (with various graphical glitches as lots of people are reporting) - I figured, fair enough, you're working on a patch, I'll wait.

I turned of my PC, turned it on the next day, went to start up GTA IV, and it won't. The DOS box launcher comes after I click on "Play" from the RGSC launcher, stays there for a few seconds, then disappears. GTAIV.exe then disappears from the process list in task manager and that's the end of that. The game started once upon a time, then decided for no apparent reason, not to.

Here are some threads on the Steam forums made by people who are having what seems to be exactly the same issue as me;
Thread 1
Thread 2

I've seen a couple of threads and posts floating around these forums concerning the same issue too - so it seems to be quite widespread.

I've tried all sorts of 'fixes' including re-installing .net 3.5 sp1, re-installing flash, updating my graphics card drivers to this version. Nothing has made the slightest bit of difference.

My hardware:
AMD x2 4800+ @ 2.4Ghz
2GB RAM
256mb 6800GS xxx edition

I know my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but from the fact that the game did work (at 15-20 fps too), that's no reason for these issues. At stock frequencies I was getting graphical glitches, I overclocked it, got some more FPS out of it and cleared up some glitches. The hardware isn't an issue despite how weak it looks on paper tounge.gif

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with the graphical bugs - I know my card isn't up to scratch, I am getting a new one. It's the loading problem I'm having issues with.

iashraf
  • iashraf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 02:27)
Does the overall savings to memory means that you will fix the memory leak? I HOPE SO.

Of course they have to be vague, so they can deny accountability later

"what, we never said we were gonna fix the memory leak, we just said we would improve memory savings" :-P

RWMurta
  • RWMurta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (iashraf @ Dec 6 2008, 02:23)
When can we see the NVIDIA driver for M GPU's - that driver does not work on laptops

Specs:
Vista SP1 32b
8600M GT
C2D 2.0GHz

(get avg of 20-30 FPS, game quite playable // all settings on the lowest possible, looks a lot like san andreas tounge.gif )

I want to see those too!

MaxAwesome
  • MaxAwesome

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

Wait a second... If we can get SIGNIFICANT improvements in performance just by installing new drivers, perhaps the CPU isn't the bottleneck people have been saying it is.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (iashraf @ Dec 6 2008, 03:29)
QUOTE (extender @ Dec 6 2008, 02:27)

Of course they have to be vague, so they can deny accountability later

"what, we never said we were gonna fix the memory leak, we just said we would improve memory savings" :-P

Let's keep the conspiracy theories and general flaming out of this topic. If you have nothing of technical merit to post regarding issues you have come across then DO NOT post in here. Let's make this thread as useful as possible to Rockstar Toronto after all it will benefit us all in the end.

On that note the only two major issues I have with the game so far are these :-

Flags Not Working

The flags that you put into a shortcut do not work when the Social Club is off line or experiencing problems which causes no end of hassle when you want to play single player. I was just wondering if it is possible to have a seperate config.ini file that we personally can edit and have the launchgta4.exe check prior to launchiing the game so we can get our preferred settings.

VRAM Usage

Seriously this is crippling, is it possible for you to find a way to get the Vram usage down this will benefit everyone. I have a Q6600 + 3gbs of ram and an oldstyle 8800gts (320mbs) and I can only run this game on lower settings than the console all because of the incredible demands on Vram. Surely there are ways for you to get this down.

Other than that I am loving the game btw despite all the technical problems.

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

We are going to keep supporting Grand Theft Auto IV PC for a long time, so expect additional fixes and improvements in the future.

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

Hey, thanks for the information, looking forward to the ATI drivers and I'm very glad the GTA patch is on it's way icon14.gif

I hope you know about the strange cut scene problem, my specs are in my sig, this was one was high/high settings, all the 'auto settings' the game puts me on ..

user posted image

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (mouldy_punk @ Dec 5 2008, 21:29)
I have the Steam version of the game, when I (eventually) downloaded it, the game loaded and ran (with various graphical glitches as lots of people are reporting) - I figured, fair enough, you're working on a patch, I'll wait.

I turned of my PC, turned it on the next day, went to start up GTA IV, and it won't. The DOS box launcher comes after I click on "Play" from the RGSC launcher, stays there for a few seconds, then disappears. GTAIV.exe then disappears from the process list in task manager and that's the end of that. The game started once upon a time, then decided for no apparent reason, not to.

Here are some threads on the Steam forums made by people who are having what seems to be exactly the same issue as me;
Thread 1
Thread 2

I've seen a couple of threads and posts floating around these forums concerning the same issue too - so it seems to be quite widespread.

I've tried all sorts of 'fixes' including re-installing .net 3.5 sp1, re-installing flash, updating my graphics card drivers to this version. Nothing has made the slightest bit of difference.

For Steam problems, have you verified the integrity of the game game cache? To do that:

1)Right Click on Properties of GTAIV
2)Click "Verify integrity of game cache..."

Not sure if that will solve your problem, but it would be good to check.

mahen
  • mahen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Dec 6 2008, 02:47)
We are going to keep supporting Grand Theft Auto IV PC for a long time, so expect additional fixes and improvements in the future.

nice to see your prompt reply...just hoping future doesn't mean too long...we hv been waiting for years alrdy...

thanks for the hope...don't let us down for the second time...

thanks...

Dodge34
  • Dodge34

GTA4 Maniac

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

I really hope the new drivers by Nvidia will also support cards like 9600GT on Windows XP (Vista only would suck) not only the latest ones, that makes me a little bit worried cause the latest I can install are the 180.48 right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users