Photo

Feature Transfer Error, help plz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic
Grumps
  • Grumps

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:23 AM Edited by Grumps, 07 December 2008 - 01:11 AM.

I cant instal the game at all, after i accept the license aggrement it asks to install Social Club. I click next until it starts to install then it pops up with the following:

Feature Transfer Error
Feature: RGSC (DO NOT TRANSLATE)
Component: Desktop shortcuts
File:
Error: Access is denied.

I have recently installed Unreal Tournament 3 and The Witcher with no problems at all.
Any help/sugestions is much appreciated.

Edit: OS is Windows XP

Edit 2: FIXED! see post below further down.

LoboFHMod
  • LoboFHMod

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:47 AM

Same here

user posted image

Celest
  • Celest

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:42 AM Edited by Celest, 05 December 2008 - 01:58 PM.

Same problem here, but with a different file. I get a feature transfer error when it tries to access the data2.cab file on DVD1.

I bought a second copy of the game from a completely different part of the country and got the exact same problem.

On calling technical support they could not give any reason as to why it's doing it, or why both discs do the same thing. One thing technical support suggested was perhaps I could copy the contents of the DVD to the hard drive and run it from there, but again, on copying data2.cab it just claimed the disc was unreadable, or some such rubbish.

I suspect, in my case, it could be a hardware problem - maybe something wrong with the DVD drive...although all other games seem to install flawlessly from that drive.

As a final, last ditch attempt, I decided to borrow a laptop and copy all the files from DVD1 onto the desktop (which, oddly, did work on this machine), and then move all those files onto my PC. Given how painfully long that whole process took I had to leave for work before I get a chance to install, so if it works, I'll update this evening, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm fully expecting the same problem to occur with DVD2 given I've completely lost faith.

If that doesn't work...I guess the only other option is to *ahem* "borrow" a copy from someone else? (sarcasm tounge.gif )

UPDATE: The above has worked thus far. At lunchtime I set the files copied from DVD1 to install, which they did, if a little slowly, and eventually requested DVD2. I inserted DVD2 and left it to run for the afternoon since I had to return to work. Fingers crossed for some good luck when I get home.

Grumps
  • Grumps

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

Our problem isnt the reading of files but the creation of Shortcuts.
I tried installing from the gta4 folder on the dvd, it got right to the end of and when it came to setting up shortcuts for the game i recieved the denied access error again and the game was wiped from my HDD sad.gif
If only it had left the game on i could have created my own damn shortcuts.
I'll give it till monday for a response via email then i will return the game.

Grumps
  • Grumps

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED...

To get the game to install i used part of Celest's sugestion (ty for that)
Drag the RGSC folder on the DVD to your desktop
Open the folder and run Setup.exe
It will now install Social club and create a shortcut IN THAT FOLDER!!! thats probably why it had access denied error, coz it was trying to create a shortcut on the DVD suicidal.gif
Then follow the rest of the prompts untill it gets to the Install of GTA4 and UNCHECK the 2 options for creating shortcuts.

So no thanks to you Rockstar if anyone else has this problem atleast now there is a workaround.

strumbot
  • strumbot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Grumps @ Dec 7 2008, 01:09)
PROBLEM SOLVED...

To get the game to install i used part of Celest's sugestion (ty for that)
Drag the RGSC folder on the DVD to your desktop
Open the folder and run Setup.exe
It will now install Social club and create a shortcut IN THAT FOLDER!!! thats probably why it had access denied error, coz it was trying to create a shortcut on the DVD suicidal.gif
Then follow the rest of the prompts untill it gets to the Install of GTA4 and UNCHECK the 2 options for creating shortcuts.

So no thanks to you Rockstar if anyone else has this problem atleast now there is a workaround.

Yeah i had the exact same problem. I copied it to the desktop and ran it and it still gave me the same error.
I haven't had this game for more than a few hours and its already pissing me off.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

Try downloading and installing form here

http://www.rockstarg...SGSC/index.html

strumbot
  • strumbot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Jun 4 2009, 05:52)
Try downloading and installing form here

http://www.rockstarg...SGSC/index.html

No difference as far as the error. I have Vista32bit with SP1. Next I'll try SP2. But I have tried everything I could think of from disabling Antivirus and firewall to turning off user account control.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was able to install the game itself manually but of course I can't play it with RGSC, which for me now stands for Rockstar's Gay, Stupid Crap.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (strumbot @ Jun 4 2009, 13:09)
Rockstar's Gay, Stupid Crap.

Sums it up well.

You can try with xliveless which will disable RGSC, but the online component as well.

Zwicelozkie
  • Zwicelozkie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

I am using windows 8 the episodes from Liberty city installed fine only problem was extremely bad glitches number four keeps freezing then showing up that message. My laptop is new and the game is new. I have tried pretty much everything. Funny thing is I got gta 3 on pc that works much better. So something is wrong. Oh though because I lost my GTA 3 pc version 360 and ps2 version I had to download it via torrent. So if a torrent version works much better than the versons you must pay for then something is wrong.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

You just bumped a four year old thread. dozingoff.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users