Quantcast

» «
Photo

SOLVED! How to overcome ALL technical trouble!

199 replies to this topic
elian
  • elian

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

i did evry thing but it stil gives me the sp3 eror angry.gif mad.gif confused.gif

omegarox
  • omegarox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hey You forgot to put -norestriction before all over these sh*t!

and I try without -windowed... and made it better...

my code is: "C:\Arquivos de programas\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestriction -texturequality=1 -renderquality=2 -width=1024 -height=768

Lord Illicious
  • Lord Illicious

S H A O L I N NYC

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

Good lord, what a mess! After reading so much sh*t going on with the PC version ive decided to just wait till an official fix is released.
360/PS3 users should never ever complain again.

elian
  • elian

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

some body help me pls wher do i get sp3 ???????

Flishli
  • Flishli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (elian @ Dec 5 2008, 18:29)

Have you heard of google before?

DaisukeJP
  • DaisukeJP

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

I've got a XFX 8600GT XXX edition ( zalman Stock cooling )

OC'd 740/1650/900

works perfect 35+ fps

lf2
  • lf2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (DaisukeJP @ Dec 5 2008, 19:51)
I've got a XFX 8600GT XXX edition ( zalman Stock cooling )

OC'd 740/1650/900

works perfect 35+ fps

confused.gif i got the same card but i dont have any textures...what kind of software do you use ??

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

This certainly is a strange one. It seems to be more of a positive glitch than an intentional fix!

As I mentioned before these commandline parameters make a HUGE difference to my graphical display... however after a closer examination it certainly isn't the "full view distance / full texture" that it first appeared to be. What it does give me is a way to have 1680x1050 with reasonable view distance/detail, a playable frame rate and most significantly no pop-in on a 320MB 8800gts. If I try 1680x1050 by any other method then that eats all my "Recourse Usage" figure and even with zero view distance the entire city has to redraw itself when I look around, i.e. total pop-in.

This only works if the commandline parameters are maxed and not if I enter the correct ones that my system can handle. It's almost like the game engine sees the size of the numbers and panics into action, maybe bypassing some internal checks that is artificially restricting my performance. Hence why I called it a positive glitch.

So this technique may not be a miracle and it certainly isn't working for everyone, but for those that got lucky with this, just smile and consider yourself lucky. Hopefully the expected Patch can do this and more for everyone.

foxfire29
  • foxfire29

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

I have a suspicion to whats making it better, you see for many they are stuck with 800*600 because of that sh*tty system where if you resources go over to much you cant change the resolution above a certain amount so by forcing the rez on the command line its making the textures look better.

Just a theory and I havent checked FPS but the tequnique mentioned by the OP has made GTA look much better for me, still a minute amount of texture corruption on the shadows but its alot better than it was

Zen_Warrior
  • Zen_Warrior

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

Although I am extremely pissed off, I find the OP to be f*cking hilarious.

GTAIV-Is-Crap
  • GTAIV-Is-Crap

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

The OP should really work for RockStar, as they are both really good at sorting out the game suicidal.gif

Thak you, I'm here all week.

legan
  • legan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

Guess we now need to play GTA IV in real life with real weapons =D

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

-windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1680 -height=1050

The 99 is the maximum quality and distance you can get right? Or is 1 supposed to mean the highest?

Psycold
  • Psycold

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

I also have a 8800 GTS 320mb (and Core2Duo @ 2.4 gigz/ 2 gb DDR2 @ 667mhz) and this was the only thread I found that worked for unlocking the high resolution mode. When I turn all the settings up, it runs fine but there's a lot of pop-in even with the view distance all the way up. That is with the resolution at 1024x768, if I crank it up to my monitors limits (1280x1024), I lose the ground textures (sometimes temporarily) and cars appear to be floating a few feet above the pavement. Either way, thank you so much for posting that, it definitely got me one step further to being where I want to be (without any of Cockstar's help)

Go community!

I also wanted to add that the game does indeed run better for me now, not by a lot but it's noticable without counting fps.

ptferris
  • ptferris

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for help, but no luck here.

512 GeForce 7900

foxfire29
  • foxfire29

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

Psycold , you know when those textures dissapear and everything is floating , is that because of this fix or higher resolution? Its just SP runs great for me now but in MP I was doing a race and it messed up bad with the exact thing you describe

Psycold
  • Psycold

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (foxfire29 @ Dec 5 2008, 22:19)
Psycold , you know when those textures dissapear and everything is floating , is that because of this fix or higher resolution? Its just SP runs great for me now but in MP I was doing a race and it messed up bad with the exact thing you describe

From my perspective, it seems like the game's reaction to turning up the settings higher than it wants you too. I think this probably happens regardless of how low your resolution is, if you have everything else turned up then you will still see unloaded textures. I do however, believe that the resolution causes more problems in that area than the slider's do. Besides that my game seems to be working pretty well minus the ugliest shadows ever.

[Delta ēk5]
  • [Delta ēk5]

Rotorhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (elian @ Dec 5 2008, 19:29)

Well... you don't need SP3 to run GTA IV... I don't know why R* say that it is needed... I'm running XP X64 Edition on my system without SP3 beacause there isn't any available for it biggrin.gif but it runs quiet well colgate.gif

mortuus
  • mortuus

Death Walking Terror

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Why doesnt game unlock textures other then medium ? im using -norestriction in shortcut of gta launcher but nothing..

Matoxic
  • Matoxic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:48 AM

this is f*ckin b*lloxs all it does is set all your graphics settings to low *EVERYTHING* to low, I have followed your instuctions to a T over and over. And it does f*ck all, same old sh*tty performance I had anyway.

If you notice when your in-game and you get to change your graphics settings, when your actually moving the sliders, apart from view distance/detail the rest seem to make little if ANY physical changes at all.

I won't give the usual R* is sh*te talk, because at the end of the day they are a company and YES people... THEY WANT YOUR MONEY... but what company doesn't? As long as they fix the issues that people have been experiencing then they are doing their part of the deal. It was all the people who rushed out to buy the game (can't say I didn't myself) and then came back to find it broken, I agree it puts you down and you WILL feel ripped off.

But look on the bright side biggrin.gif , tell yourself you have participating in a BETA, Don't reply with we have paid xx amount for a BETA, because once the problems have been ironed out you already have the FULL game.

Also you could just go back to the games some of you probably played not even 2 days ago.. And look forward to the upcoming releases until it's smoothed out..

So many high rated people

Mocambo
  • Mocambo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hy, Fantastic, that solved my dammed RESC10 Problem, now i got new hope that Rockstar can fix the rest..

Michael2009gr
  • Michael2009gr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

i do it but when i press ok it says....the file name:.......specified in the target box is not valid

Trackah123
  • Trackah123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

Decrease View distance, then you can increase texture from medium to high. (well at least this is how it works for me on my Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB)

So first put view distance completely to left side (0) then increase texture to high, then try to put view distance back to the right as much as possible (using arrow keys).

Creaver
  • Creaver

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

GTA 4 dont start in windowsmode with my PC. Itīs starting and i can see the legal screen but than comes nothing its dont crash its do only nothing. I try it with

"C:\GAMES\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1280 -height=1024

AND

"C:\GAMES\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed

In fullscreenmodus the game starts normaly.

INTEL e6750
Geforce 8800GTS 320 MB
Windows XP SP3

iRocco
  • iRocco

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Creaver @ Dec 6 2008, 12:54)
GTA 4 dont start in windowsmode with my PC. Itīs starting and i can see the legal screen but than comes nothing its dont crash its do only nothing. I try it with

"C:\GAMES\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1280 -height=1024

AND

"C:\GAMES\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed

In fullscreenmodus the game starts normaly.

INTEL e6750
Geforce 8800GTS 320 MB
Windows XP SP3

same here, doesnt work for me but cant figure out why!

Judazzz
  • Judazzz

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

It did make a difference for me, although things are still far from perfect. Before I used the " -norestrictions -nomemrestrict -novblank -DX9 /high" commands, and played with everything maxxed out except texture detail (medium) at 1680x1050, and it ran pretty smoothly. Unfortunately, the textures were a complete mess, so it wasn't that much fun to play (although I realise I should be happy that I at least could get this steaming pile of crap to work in the first place).
The method in this thread fixed those texture issues (for the first time I got a decent glimpse of what Liberty City looks like, instead of seeing traffic that is 20 miles away but not the building I'm standing right in front of), but the textures are reset to low (Vice City textures looked better than that), and more annoyingly, the framerate went down the drain. Besides that, although I used the "-width 1680 -height 1050" parameters (which is the native resolution of my screen), I still had window edges around the playing 'viewport' (which may be the reason why the framerate dropped so badly?)
I have accepted the fact that I won't be able to run GTA IV with everything maxxed out, but I refuse to accept that my PC is classified as a low end system. I know I don't have a the most cutting-edge rig available (Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @2.67MHz with 2GB OCZ 800MHz RAM and a 320MB XFX Geforce 8800 GTS XXX Edition), but if it can run other recent games (GRID, Fallout3, Far Cry 2, COD 4/5, even Crysis to a certain extent) at 1680x1050 with everything at or near max., I'm sure it's not my system that's at fault here. I mean, no matter how good GTA IV may look (at least potentially), graphically it's no match compared to some of the other titles mentioned.

I really hope Rockstar fixes this 'Grand Theft Customer' really quickly (yesterday rather than today), because what's going on now is absolutely unacceptable. I mean, if for my work I'd deliver a product as 'finished' as GTA IV, I'd get the sack, if not have my ass sued so hard it makes my head spin. It's frustrating that this kind of semi-criminal behaviour on behalf of Rockstar will go unpunished, but even worse is the fact that I can hardly play this game for which I've been waiting for years, and which, regardless of all the technical issues, is awesome...

Judazzz
  • Judazzz

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ok, I messed around with the command line parameters a bit (added a few additional things so I can change settings in-game, and removed the -windowed parameter), I was able to get rid of the window edges and vastly improved the poor performance by using the following:
-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -novblank -texturequality=1 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1680 -height=1050 -DX9 /high

Unfortunately, the texture and object pop-up problems have returned: I guess 320MB just isn't cutting it for medium or high, at least not for this game and this bunch of programmers [never had texture issues with other recent games, even with the highest res textures). Thankfully, it's not as bad as before: objects both close and in the distance seem to render quite a bit faster, so at least I don't see traffic jams in mid air or run into objects anymore that appear only after I slammed into them. And more importantly, the performance is pretty all right again.
I guess finetuning those settings in the command line should be useful for those fortunate enough to be able run the game: for me at least it's sufficient until Rockstar irons out those problems that should be plagueing a so-called finished full-price product in the first place.

iRocco
  • iRocco

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

ok, i put the launchgtaiv.exe on my desktop and added the parameters described, but my games doesnīt recognize it, no matter what i change, iīm 100% sure, that iīve put everything in the right place, but it just wont work!

wrugoin
  • wrugoin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Great Post... I hope this advice is helping a lot of people play the game until the patch can fix these issues..

Unfortunately I can't even launch the game. I crash right after the legal credits and the yellow/blue rockstar logo. Regardless if I launch the game from the Social Club or your modified shortcut, I always crash after the legal credits and logo splash screens.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it using the OP's fix?

Loosha
  • Loosha

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hey Guys, just wanted to ask if anybody out there knows anything "official" about when Cockstar is supposed to drop that magnificent-infamous-wannabe-solve-it-all Patch of theirs. I mean first everybody was like "by the end of the week". Now the end of the week is here and nothing. So how did you come up with "by the end of the week" in the first place? Was there a press release? Anyhting? ANYBODY?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users