Quantcast

» «
Photo

SOLVED! How to overcome ALL technical trouble!

199 replies to this topic
Loosha
  • Loosha

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:26 AM Edited by Loosha, 05 December 2008 - 06:13 PM.

user posted image

FINALLY! I WAS ABOUT TO GO NUTS! BUT I MADE IT!!!
IT WORKS IT WORKS 100 f*ckING PERCENT!!! 100% WORKING AND STABLE!

GUYS all your worries have an end. Well at least for all guys with NVIDIA cards since I wasnt able to test this approach on ATI or something. Just when i was about to throw that damn ugly looking default-set-motherf*cking-ressource-hungry-piece-of-sh*t-game of GTA4 away... I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! BASICALLY BY TOTAL ACCIDENT! BUT IT WORKS!!!

PROBLEMS SOLVED/FEATURES:

- SHOWING ALL TEXTURES!!!
- STARTS UP PERFECTLY! NO CRASHES!
- NO GLITCHES!
- SHADOWS LOOK O.K. NOW (STILL NOT NICE BUT O.K.)
- RESOURCE-HUNGER STILLED!!!! EVERYBODY CAN RUN IT!!
- FULL DETAILS! FULL VIEWING DISTANCE!
- HIGH QUALITY RENDERING & TEXTURES!!
- ANY RESOLUTION YOU WANNA HAVE!

ADVANTAGES:

- YOU DONT NEED NO NEW DRIVERS! NO BETA DRIVERS NOTHING!
- YOU DONT NEED .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5!
- RUNS ON "LOW" - PCs PERFECTLY AND TOTALLY SMOOTHLY +35 FP/S

HOW? You ask how? I'll tell you right now!!

THE ULTIMATE GET-YOUR-FKN-GTA4-RUNNING-GUIDE!

1. INSTALL: Install the game fully & sign up for all the sh*t they want you to sign up for. (You NEED the Rockstargames SocialClub Account!!!)
2. SHORTCUT: Do as described in many of the posts around here... CREATE A SHORTCUT OF YOUR LaunchGTAIV.exe and put it nicely on your desktop.
3. OPENING: Rightclick that motherf*cker and go to properties!
4. CODING: ENTER THE FOLLOWING PART OF THE CODE AFTER THE PATH: -windowed <---------- THIS IS CRUCIAL!!!
5. RESOLUTION: Behind that enter YOUR CHOSEN RESOLUTION like this: -width=1680 -height=1050 (You can chose ANY resolution you want as long as your VGA and Monitor support it.)
6. DETAILS: Behind that CHOSE YOUR DETAILS with the following piece of code: -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99
7. SAVE THAT: In the end your commandline should look something like this (with your proper specifications ofc):
"D:\Games\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed -texturequality=2 -renderquality=4 -detailquality=99 -viewdistance=99 -width=1680 -height=1050
8. CONNECT: Startup this stupid Rockstargames Social Club and LOG ON! IT's CRUCIAL THAT YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT AND ARE LOGGED ON!
9. DON'T: Do not start the game through the provided button in the up-popping menu of Rockstargames Social Club. Just minimize it to the tray.
10. PLAY: Start the game through your shortcut of LaunchGTAIV.exe and ENJOY THAT MOTHERf*ckER!!!!

NOTICE: You can put in ANY resolution you want, chose ANY detail-level your machine can handle, put in ANY viewdistance you like and the game will run it properly and FAST!

RESULT: I really dont have something you would call a High-End-Top-Notch-PC! Just an average AMD 64x2 4000+ with an average if not old NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT (256MB) and 2 GB of DDR-RAM BUT the game runs PERFECTLY and ABSOLUTELY SMOOTHELY on my machine.
SO THE BEST OF IT: EVERYBODY CAN USE THAT APPROACH AND DOESNT NEED TO BELIEVE THE CRAP ROCKSTAR ' S BEEN TRYIN TO SELL YOU. Game from the future designed for future PC's with uptodate hardware MY ASS! THEY JUST DIDNT PUT IN ANY EFFORT TO CODE THAT GAME PROPERLY!!!!

SCREENSHOT: Here is a screenshot from my machine in 1680x1050 with FULL details and FULL viewing distance. You can see the helicopters, the Getalife-sign - EVERYTHING!

user posted image

Well it does not matter since the COMMUNITY did the work for em and PROVIDED THEMSELVES with the game THEY DESERVE!!! Enjoy this Guide of mine I really hope it works for all of you as well as it does for me.

Feel free to ask if you need further help, comment and say tnx if this worked for you.

Hope you enjoy motherf*cking GTA IV!!!

Knyte
  • Knyte

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for the guide, but one thing you didn't mention is what framerates are you getting at those settings?

Nomad91
  • Nomad91

Life is Complicated...

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

fps?

Craigybabes
  • Craigybabes

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:09 AM

'Dude, do you have to use so many cuss words?'

But seriously - all this really does is window the mother-f*cker with no discernible increase in FPS.

Nice use of bold and font size though...maybe a little less red.

menacepwr
  • menacepwr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

I followed the tut to the letter and the results are hardly changed. Same fps, same laggy gameplay, it feels no different from the game without his instructions and the fps doesnt seem to be even a fraction higher, in fact it almost felt more sluggish! The guide is well written but if there is any increase its insignificant to negligible.

CB3
  • CB3

Next Chris Paul

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

great guide =D

Trackah123
  • Trackah123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

Somehow it doesnt work for me in Vista (Texture problems after 10 - 20 mins of gameplay).

In my XP it runs fine.. (Running Forceware 180.48)

slowrider
  • slowrider

Mr. Boring Over Here

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:25 AM

tried it, now everything around niko doesn't want to appear on screen fast enough. ah well.

Net-Zao
  • Net-Zao

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:30 AM

He sounds like a guy from an infomercial.

Trackah123
  • Trackah123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:32 AM

Sounds like a bad sell commercial lol

Gibbo3771
  • Gibbo3771

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:47 AM Edited by Gibbo3771, 05 December 2008 - 02:50 AM.

wow he put a lot of work into this completely pointless and sh*ty post, Im going to shoot him for making me read all that pish.

Also my game wont start up at all anymore, you got a counter guide for that??? go and waste 5 hours making one.

Net-Zao
  • Net-Zao

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

His entire post could be summarized as "Windowed Mode Boosts Performance"

End of story.

goldsoundz
  • goldsoundz

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

The game runs exactly the same for me and looks significantly worse, but thanks for trying. There's nothing to do that's going to improve anyone's performance too much until a patch is released. Just sit tight, I guess.

sidfirex
  • sidfirex

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Net-Zao @ Dec 5 2008, 02:59)
His entire post could be summarized as "Windowed Mode Boosts Performance"

End of story.

lol.gif hahaha!!

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:48 AM

dude, you do realize your screenshot is on low graphics? look at how blurry the textures are

montego650
  • montego650

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

ya didnt work for me nice try though

thereisnospoon
  • thereisnospoon

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

Love your guide's visual colors. A lot funner to read. ^_^

Brawly
  • Brawly

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

Don't give him a hard time guys atleast he tried.

hedonist27
  • hedonist27

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

I tried it and it runs waaaaaayyyyy better. It was like playing in slo-mo before on the LOWEST settings. Don't really care about the resolution at this point, my rig isn't anything special, but WOW I can actually play it! Yeehaa!

Defrost My Head
  • Defrost My Head

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:09 AM

It's not what you say its HOW LOUD YOU SAY IT

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (Defrost My Head @ Dec 5 2008, 05:09)
It's not what you say its HOW LOUD YOU SAY IT

Actually it's the reason "why" you say it so loudly... because seriously guys, this has just improved the performance of my game by at least a factor of five, maybe even ten. It's like playing a completely different game for me, so I can see why Loosha made such an excited thread about it.

For the people that this may effect, for whatever our systems may have in common, it's a "must try". Wow it has even turned me into infomercial salesman.

Thanks Loosha, this is a FANTASTIC find! Good luck all, I hope this works for many other people too. I think I owe Rockstar a limited apology.

P.S. The one slight downside is that you do lose the ability to Alt-TAB with other apps, but hey.

Athlon X2 4600
8800gts 320MB
3GB RAM
Windows XP (SP3)

sidfirex
  • sidfirex

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

actually i prefer people trying this by first deleting their settings profile in the rockstar gta IV folder in User/documents and settings ...

I think that will do the trick.
cool.gif

IPCONFIG
  • IPCONFIG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

I can valch for this, I accidently had the game running in windowed mode at one point, and it ran smoother than gta vice city with frame limiter disabled. but i didn't know how to forse game into windowed mode, until now!!

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

well that was a waste of time. both for the poster and for thea readers. the only reason he got it to work good is cause he's got the 8800 card. apparently you can run the game at med to high with a 3 year old processor as long as you have that card.

Exille
  • Exille

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

Any idea on how to get Steam to allow GTA to run in window?

livinglogic
  • livinglogic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Craigybabes @ Dec 5 2008, 02:09)
'Dude, do you have to use so many cuss words?'

But seriously - all this really does is window the mother-f*cker with no discernible increase in FPS.

Nice use of bold and font size though...maybe a little less red.

'Maybe a little less red' -> I lold

Kamox
  • Kamox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:25 AM Edited by Kamox, 05 December 2008 - 10:32 AM.

IT WORKS FOR MY REFRESH RATE TROUBLE!!! THANKS A LOT!!!! icon14.gif

For other people having this problem:

Just enter the command "-refreshrate=XX" (where XX is a frequency you know being supported by your monitor) before the resolution parameters in the command line.

BTW, I have a below-minimum-specs PC but it runs fine @ 1024x768.

For people having Steam (like me):

1. Open Steam

2. Edit the command line: in the "my games" list, click on GTA IV > properties > general tab > push first button and enter the commands.

3. Start via steam. Log in the social club, minimize it.

4. Go to folder Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV, click on LaunchGTAIV.exe and "create a shortcut"

5. Place this shortcut on your desktop.

6. Right click on the shortcut > properties and edit the command line... it should look as: "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed...(other parameters as said). Apply and exit the properties window.

7. Remember, you still have the Social Club minimized. Forget about that and double click on the shortcut on the desktop.

8. Enjoy GTA IV!!!! biggrin.gif

Apo-TTCC
  • Apo-TTCC

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

I already wondered when i read this post last night that this can't be maxed out graphics on the provided screenshot. mercie_blink.gif

The one from the first post:
user posted image

Mine with everything maxed out, except Viewdistance (46) and Textures (Medium) which are limited by my 8800GTS 512MB:
user posted image

LordMVD
  • LordMVD

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

and maxed out is without lagg? wow.gif

Michael_Berg
  • Michael_Berg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:57 AM