menacepwr
  • menacepwr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

1. Go into the GTA 4 folder and locate "LaunchGTAIV"
2. Right click and select "Properties"
3. Select the "Compatibility" tab
4. Under "Compatibility mode", click the box to check off "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5. Drop down the menu and select "Windows 2000"

The game runs! The RMN40 error disappears! This is a quick hotfix for the problem and I'm not sure who it will work for but so far it has for me and one other player. This may only be for Vista because I have Vista with SP1 but post your results!!! I think the problem may have been that, at least for me, the game was trying to run in XP SP2 mode when it can't run without SP3! Maybe R* can patch it or maybe my game will crash 15 minutes now and its smooth still. I will post my updates as they come... Thanks to leurch77 for finding this out!!

menacepwr
  • menacepwr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

I'm not sure how many people are having this problem but it seems substantial any chance this could be sticky'd?

menacepwr
  • menacepwr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

I'd appreciate it if people getting other errors would try this to see if it will just fix RMN errors or other crash errors too. Its a simple change and can easily be set back give it a shot!

mortuus
  • mortuus

Death Walking Terror

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

I can confirm that this WORKS on XP and SP2 only, i just played random 30min and no problems except that the game runs crap but we all knew that..

menacepwr
  • menacepwr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

What do you mean by it works on XP SP2? As in you have SP2 and you were able to run the game? And yes, I saw no increase or decrease in performance from the first time I played to when I had to switch compatibility modes. The game still runs like sh*t, but it always has and will until its patched... oh well.

bembudo
  • bembudo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have created a patch that does exactly what the instructions above say, the only thing it does not do is restart your computer.
which means you’ll have to do it on your own.

here is the link enjoy http://www.box.net/shared/vrdm2thmcq tounge.gif tounge.gif tounge.gif tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users