1,081 replies to this topic
SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (shadow85 @ Dec 4 2008, 19:42)
QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 4 2008, 19:40)
QUOTE (ZodiacKiller @ Dec 4 2008, 19:20)
yes it works with the ps3 controller, but I have only done this in Xp, not vista.

I'm using my ps3 controller in Vista.

You need to go through the whole btsix, ppjoy and libusb stuff first though.. There are blogs you can google for to get the full instructions.. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll dig out the info.

Working a treat with the DLL hack apart from the d-pad which I think is just a matter of config..

did u do it in 32bit or 64 vista?

32bit.

I'm not sure if it will work on 64bit..

Full install details here:
http://davieslim.wor...less-bluetooth/

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

for everyone that got their gamepads working, did you have to go into controller settings in the game and change anything? or did u just load GTAIV into a level and the gamepad worked str8 away?

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Fantastic!

It now recognises my old Sidewinder stick! Don't laugh... I know... it's a creaky old piece of cack, but it's served me well through many a game. Also, I have 4 spare ones in a cupboard, so I'm not willing to dump 'em all because some young upstart 50-button gamepad is "de rigeur" these days. devil.gif

Anyway... like I said, it works, and in "Classic" control mode, the controls are almost exactly as I would have set them myself, if the boneheads at Rockstar would've let me. mad.gif

Thanks CATZILLA, and thanks to Zodiackiller for bringing this to our attention.

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

This is also a nice workaround for the bowling bug actually! colgate.gif I'm finally able to throw the ball!!! hahaha thx man!

ZodiacKiller
  • ZodiacKiller

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

Once the dll files were copied that was it. I did'nt have to configure a thing. It worked flawlessly.

JBFord4x4
  • JBFord4x4

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

do the axises get treated as axises? for example, if you have steer wheels and pedals, can you assign the pedals to walking and leaning on a bike, and they act as axises with various levels, not like a button?

medfreak
  • medfreak

Number of fingers = GTA IV PC bugs...

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

And that is exactly why the PC version will always be awesome. No matter what crap Rockstar / Microsoft limits you to, you can sooner or later get rid of it.

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

I can't seem to actually assign any new commands, but those the 'stick has "auto" assigned to it are fine, give or take. I'd like the option to change a few, but so far, this is a major improvement for me.

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

yes finally got it working for my powerwave USB (PS2 style) controller. Everything works fine as expected except for the right analog stick commands. The right analog stick works normally as rotating camera etc, except the the vertical and horizontal axis have been interchanged on my game pad. For example when I press right analog left, it views downwards, when I press right analog down, it views rightways.

Is there anywhere I can change them so the axis are proper?

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

I feel I'm close to cracking the ps3 mappings to fully work in the game..

If I achieve this I'll blog about it so it's all recorded somewhere.. smile.gif

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

in other words, my USB pad works now, except the Z axis and Z rotation have been swapped.

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

is there any file in the GTAIV directory that I can edit that will swap the Z axis and Z rotation for the gamepad.

Mr Heckler
  • Mr Heckler

I kick fanboy arse before breakfast

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Doesn't work with a Saitek P2600 under Vista HP 64bit. sad.gif

Hope it's something that they'll address in the patch as it's shocking restricting your ability to use something as simple as a joypad.

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Mr Heckler @ Dec 4 2008, 20:35)
Doesn't work with a Saitek P2600 under Vista HP 64bit. sad.gif

Hope it's something that they'll address in the patch as it's shocking restricting your ability to use something as simple as a joypad.

dude, did you copy the files over to your systemWOW64 folder instead of your system32 folder?

U have to with Vista x64, I did it before and it worked.

grahamofboro
  • grahamofboro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

Thanks I've got my joypad working now.

Funny how a team of professionally paid computer programmer in a multi million pound multi national corporation were seemingly unable to offer support for other joypads, however someone in the GTA community was able to put emulator files to provide joypad support within a few hours.

Shame I still can really play the game because it runs so slow even when all settings are on minimum, even though my specs exceed the minimum requirements.

I'm not an angry person by nature, but this has really riled me up.

ZodiacKiller
  • ZodiacKiller

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

Not only did this mod work with GTA4, but also many other games that didn't work before with my cordless rumblepad 2. Kudos to whoever made these dll files...they're the ones we should be praising. WOOHOO!

LentoMan
  • LentoMan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:00 PM Edited by LentoMan, 04 December 2008 - 11:46 PM.

We also figured this out last night on the Steam forums. The original author of this tool was Racer S:
http://tocaedit.com/...ile&file_id=108

It was then modified by pkt-zer0, he added the ability to configure buttons/sticks with a .ini file:
http://tocaedit.com/...ile&file_id=111

The sourcecode is also available in those archives.

Here is the thread on the steam-forums: http://forums.steamp...t=761887&page=2

Also for those of you with a Saitek Cyborg Rumble Pad ( http://www.saitek.co.../prod/p3600.htm ),
Here is a (complete?) config, I spent around 2 hours on it to get it right, it might work with other pads as well, untested with other pads though:
http://www.lentoman....xbox360cemu.ini

Mr Heckler
  • Mr Heckler

I kick fanboy arse before breakfast

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (shadow85 @ Dec 4 2008, 20:42)
Doesn't work with a Saitek P2600 under Vista HP 64bit.  sad.gif

dude, did you copy the files over to your systemWOW64 folder instead of your system32 folder?

Thank you so very much, I had no idea they needed to be copied over to that folder. It's now working, but I would still like the ability to configure the buttons to my preferred settings that I have been using on games for years. It's not really acceptable to do it like this when previous games have allowed total customisation of controls.

Remontoire
  • Remontoire

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 4 2008, 18:24)
QUOTE (grahamofboro @ Dec 4 2008, 18:20)
Didn't work fo me as my computer would not let me overwrite xinput9_1_0.dll

There's probably an easy way around it but I haven't the technical mind.  My vista account has full admin access

Funny you should post that.. I just had the same issue.. I was getting very angry with Vista I can tell you.. lol

The solution is to go into the security properties then advanced.. You then need to change the owner to your user account.

Then close the properties panel. Reopen this again and add yourself as a user with full permissions.. You can then rename it..

EDIT:

Oh my f*cking god it works!!!!!

Got my ps3 wireless controller working with it.. The left analogue is fine and so are the buttons.. Have to see if the rest of them work in game now..
Amazing.. Though I wonder how the modified DLL's are allocating buttons..

Hopefully I'll be ok as I can reconfigure every button used by my ps3 controller as it's being defined using PPJoy..

Thanks so much for posting this!!!

please help - i'm being a bit thick! (and very dissapointed that my controller doesn't work)

I can't find 'security properties then advanced'. I assume this is 'control panel, user accounts and family safety, user accounts' - but I don't know how to 'change the owner to your user account' etc etc.

A bit more detail would be very helpfull

Thanks

Dhatz
  • Dhatz

editor of GTA.CZ/GTA4

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

what? i want wheel support!!!!!!!,don't any of you stubbys have G25?
suicidal.gif

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Dhatz @ Dec 4 2008, 22:43)
what? i want wheel support!!!!!!!,don't any of you stubbys have G25?
suicidal.gif

I almost had one, but when I took my wallet out to pay the guy, it jumped out of my hand, executed a near-perfect mid-air pirouette, and kicked me square in the nuts with its credit-card flap, only to slide neatly back into my pocket, whereby it was heard to mutter; "In yer dreams ya twat, you've got bills to pay!".

Maybe next year...

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Mr Heckler @ Dec 4 2008, 22:22)

Thank you so very much, I had no idea they needed to be copied over to that folder. It's now working, but I would still like the ability to configure the buttons to my preferred settings that I have been using on games for years. It's not really acceptable to do it like this when previous games have allowed total customisation of controls.

yeah would like to configure the buttons to my preference aswell, actually I need too, to be able use my USB gamepad because the right analog X and Y axis are screwed, I cant use the camera properly.

semie
  • semie

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

Awsome job again guys this has got my Logitech controler working great, even the D-pad works its mapped to change radio stations, or if I switch modes on the controler its used to control direction...

Great job and a huge thanks as my financial advisor has spat the dummy ever since I got this game with me gong " I need to upgrade this and upgrade that and buy a new controler", well I can scratch one off the list for now... smile.gif

cheers

Se]v[!e

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

Z Killer, please replace the first post in the topic with this (just paste this when you hit the 'edit' button):
CODE
Ok guys, I found a solution to [SIZE=10][b]simulating the xbox 360 controller[/b][/SIZE] with any generic controller. This makes use of analog sticks, so it's no longer binary driving which drives you all mad =)
First, back up the original xinput1_3.dll, xinput1_2.dll, xinput1_1.dll and xinput9_1_0.dll from your [b]windows\system32[/b]
Next, unpack them into system32 from http://lcsteam.net/dump/gta4/XBOX.360.controller.emulation.zip
Fire up your game. It should recognize your third-party controller as an XBOX 360 controller.

This routine [SIZE=15][b]worked[/b][/SIZE] for me personally with my [b]Logitech RumblePad 2 USB[/b].

This is a bit of my research, but the original source is [URL=http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98129]here[/URL].

Only one single minor problem - the key mapping is a tad different, at least in my case. Oh well. Doesn't take long to get used to.

All, I am happy to see my little discovery makes a difference for you.

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (shadow85 @ Dec 4 2008, 22:55)

yeah would like to configure the buttons to my preference aswell, actually I need too, to be able use my USB gamepad because the right analog X and Y axis are screwed, I cant use the camera properly.

There is an ingame option to change this mate smile.gif

I think it's invert axis or something wink.gif

AND THANKS, THANKS and more thanks.

Gaffa08
  • Gaffa08

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (camdean @ Dec 4 2008, 23:42)
QUOTE (shadow85 @ Dec 4 2008, 22:55)

There is an ingame option to change this mate smile.gif

I think it's invert axis or something wink.gif

AND THANKS, THANKS and more thanks.

Nope, I have the same problem with my PS2 control... If you invert the axis, it will still to the same thing. Instead of pushing the stick right and the camera looks up, it will just look down if you invert the axis... sad.gif

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Dam, there must be a way to change this, check original thread and follow the links, there may be instructions on how to change things, I'm not sure but it may help wink.gif

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:54 AM Edited by SlingShotUK, 05 December 2008 - 12:57 AM.

Right, after many hours of shouting at the computer and getting alot angrier than I should have, I have managed to fully configure my ps3 controller to work 100% in GTA 4 using the awesome DLL's posted in this thread.

I will try and sort out some kind of blog or forum post to explain exactly what you need to do to get the PS3 controller working on the PC and with this game..

Fantastic to finally be able to play properly.

I still can't get over how good the graphics are on this version.. Blows the PS3 one away!! Awesome.

Kiban
  • Kiban

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

The solution is to go into the security properties then advanced.. You then need to change the owner to your user account.

Then close the properties panel. Reopen this again and add yourself as a user with full permissions.. You can then rename it..

Man please can someone explain me this with other words? Because my Vista is not in english, and i'm trying to figure this out... and I cant replace one of those .dll
Thanks a lot!

shadow85
  • shadow85

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Kiban @ Dec 5 2008, 01:14)

Man please can someone explain me this with other words? Because my Vista is not in english, and i'm trying to figure this out... and I cant replace one of those .dll
Thanks a lot!

your vista not in english, are you joking?

BTW, does anyone figured out how to remap all controls for gamepad yet?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users