Photo

will it run on service pack 2?

30 replies to this topic
Mikrass90
  • Mikrass90

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

has anyone tried to run gta 4 on win xp sp2? can it run?
i am thinking of dualbooting vista just for gta 4 to run it on DX 10,but are there any real differences between gta in DX9 abd DX 10? are the graphics any better? confused.gif

i've got a rig that can handle it.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Mikrass90 @ Dec 3 2008, 17:37)
has anyone tried to run gta 4 on win xp sp2? can it run?
i am thinking of dualbooting vista just for gta 4 to run it on DX 10,but are there any real differences between gta in DX9 abd DX 10? are the graphics any better? confused.gif

i've got a rig that can handle it.

I doubt there will be a significant difference, really it'll just cause lag.

billy22
  • billy22

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

tried to run it on sp2 didnt work game wouldnt load.

i got sp3 and it loaded.

so no.

Khalids19
  • Khalids19

Top Contributor

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

yah even me i want this question to be answered because i have xp sp2 can i play it on sp2???

Or i want to make a dualboot of vista 64bit edition will there be any boost of speed and better graphics if u use vista(dx10) but not xp (dx 9)

Killuminati91
  • Killuminati91

Brucie

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

no, youll get an error on startup. I tried it too

JBFord4x4
  • JBFord4x4

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Nope wont run on SP2. I'm downloading SP3 now.

ld13
  • ld13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

GTA IV PC Works fine with Windows XP SP2! I'm playing it now on my XP SP2 PC. The trick is to let GTA think you have SP3 on. Some app I Installed also wanted SP3 installed to run, but I was too lazy to download SP3 at the time so I tricked it. You can change/tweak what Service pack windows reports is installed by tinkering with the Registry. This works like a bomb!

Here is how:
(Only do this if you like tinkering with the registry!)

Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in regedit and press enter
Step 2: Make a backup of your registry (just in case)
Step 3: Browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows"
Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion" from "0x00000200" (SP2) to the Windows XP SP3 value of "0x00000300"
Step 5: Close registry editor
Step 6: Reboot
Step 7: Start GTA and freakin enjoy it already!

See ya'll in Multiplayer! biggrin.gif

Alin15
  • Alin15

Hip Hop State Of Mind, Ya Digg?

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (ld13 @ Dec 3 2008, 22:11)
GTA IV PC Works fine with Windows XP SP2! I'm playing it now on my XP SP2 PC. The trick is to let GTA think you have SP3 on. Some app I Installed also wanted SP3 installed to run, but I was too lazy to download SP3 at the time so I tricked it. You can change/tweak what Service pack windows reports is installed by tinkering with the Registry. This works like a bomb!

Here is how:

Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in regedit and press enter
Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion" from "0x00000200" (SP2) to the Windows XP SP3 value of "0x00000300"

i might try this if the sp3 update i installed doesn't work smile.gif

jacques321
  • jacques321

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Will gta 4 run on vista without service pack 1?

ld13
  • ld13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (jacques321 @ Dec 3 2008, 19:54)

No. I tried running it on a friend's PC this afternoon. It did not even start the install and kicked me to an error: "You system is incompatible with %P".
Vista SP1 is needed. I am looking for a Registry hack at the moment for that, as there is no way we can download SP1 on our slow & $$$ internet in this country.

At the moment this link looks promising as it mentions "CSDVersion" for Vista, exactly the thing we are looking for. I am not sure if the same XP trick will work for Vista though. Can only test it tomorrow/Friday sometime sad.gif

jacques321
  • jacques321

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (ld13 @ Dec 3 2008, 20:10)
QUOTE (jacques321 @ Dec 3 2008, 19:54)

No. I tried running it on a friend's PC this afternoon. It did not even start the install and kicked me to an error: "You system is incompatible with %P".
Vista SP1 is needed. I am looking for a Registry hack at the moment for that, as there is no way we can download SP1 on our slow & $$$ internet in this country.

At the moment this link looks promising as it mentions "CSDVersion" for Vista, exactly the thing we are looking for. I am not sure if the same XP trick will work for Vista though. Can only test it tomorrow/Friday sometime sad.gif

Thanks

jpapanas
  • jpapanas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

Id13,

Are you sure that the registry fix will work on XP service pack 2 to trick it into thinking service pack 3 is installed?
I have my doubts but I will definately give this a shot. Do you know if this then effects windows updates? I mean, since you have tricked the computer into thinking service pack 3 is installed, maybe it will no longer know what updates to download/install...

Anyways, thanks for the solution, i will let the forum know how I go once GTA IV has downloaded from steam (which will be a while lol)

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (jpapanas @ Dec 4 2008, 07:10)
Id13,

Are you sure that the registry fix will work on XP service pack 2 to trick it into thinking service pack 3 is installed?
I have my doubts but I will definately give this a shot. Do you know if this then effects windows updates? I mean, since you have tricked the computer into thinking service pack 3 is installed, maybe it will no longer know what updates to download/install...

Anyways, thanks for the solution, i will let the forum know how I go once GTA IV has downloaded from steam (which will be a while lol)

sounds like gta iv only needs SP3 because microsoft made that demand. if the trick supplied in this thread works it obviously means there is no dependency code-wise on SP3 from gta.

as for updates, it wouldn't surprise me if it won't work as it should. however you could always just create a reg file that you use before starting gta that would change the registry value, and then another reg file that you use after closing gta changing the value back to its original.

and i guess that also means some hacker could just mess around with the gta exe and do all of that "automacially" so you wouldnt have to bother.

bp2018
  • bp2018

Cheese Doodle

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

SP3 includes alot of fixes to the OS itself and can give an fps boost of upto 10%, why on earth you would want to run sp2 is beyond me.

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (bp2018 @ Dec 4 2008, 08:32)
SP3 includes alot of fixes to the OS itself and can give an fps boost of upto 10%, why on earth you would want to run sp2 is beyond me.

yeah i don't get it either. but maybe it's got to do with some privacy issues or something since i've heard stuff being said about vista sp1 registering user actions and whatnot.

jpapanas
  • jpapanas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 4 2008, 08:30)
However you could always just create a reg file that you use before starting gta that would change the registry value, and then another reg file that you use after closing gta changing the value back to its original.

This would not be possible since you have to reboot your machine after a registry change. Thanks for the info however...

jpapanas
  • jpapanas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (bp2018 @ Dec 4 2008, 08:32)

How would you know this?

bp2018
  • bp2018

Cheese Doodle

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:34 AM Edited by bp2018, 04 December 2008 - 10:37 AM.

Because not only is the point of a service pack to fix the operating system, but they have done tests of performance pre and post sp3.

eagle016
  • eagle016

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (ld13 @ Dec 3 2008, 19:11)

Here is how:

So... doing that is less work (less lazy) than just running Microsoft Update?

Khalids19
  • Khalids19

Top Contributor

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

id13 now ur the man im gona try it on sp2 when i get gtaiv because i didnt buy it yet and even if i buy it i will buy the pirated version because in our country the original version will be like $50 and it will reach in my country until feb 2009 and i cant wait for long so i will buy pirated version and test the registry trick and post my results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr.whiz
  • dr.whiz

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (jpapanas @ Dec 4 2008, 10:29)
QUOTE (dr.whiz @ Dec 4 2008, 08:30)
However you could always just create a reg file that you use before starting gta that would change the registry value, and then another reg file that you use after closing gta changing the value back to its original.

This would not be possible since you have to reboot your machine after a registry change. Thanks for the info however...

you do? in what scenarios? i never do and it always works fine. and it's not like it prompts you to do it?

all you're doing when messing with the registry is changing a bunch of values.

ld13
  • ld13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

@jpapanas

Yes I am 200% sure it works. If you edit the registry exactly like I told you to, it will work. If it does not work, you are doing something wrong. In fact I'm even more than 200% sure, because it is working on my pc right now. Regarding your windows updates, I'm not sure. My best guess is yes - your updater might think you have SP3 already now, and should not downlaod the SP3 update. But that is a guess. I would recommend you revert your registry back to "CSDVersion" of "0x00000200" (SP2) and rebooting before running any updates to ensure that nothing can go wrong.

This registry hack is for those people that:
- Have SP2 (might even work for SP1), and wants to play GTA ASAP! and do not want to wait for a stupid update to run.
- Have expensive internet and/or slow internet like here in South-Africa. Not worth eating through ~$5 worth of internet usage that will take ~3 hours to download (not . Stupid monopolistic Telkom. angry.gif
- And whatever other reason you can think about

@bp2018

I do not know where you saw that SP3 makes windows faster... in fact so far as I have seen it makes it slower. Countless reviews shows not just applications, but games running slower etc etc. eg. http://www.insidehw....SP2/Page-2.html
Feel free to show me any other reviews.

@eagle016

See my reply to jpapanas above. At the time it made more sense for me to hack the registry (quick fix) than to sit through a ~3+ hour download of SP3 that would only eat up my monthly usage cap.

@Khalids19

Good Luck hey smile.gif Always glad to help.

@dr.whiz

I also reboot after a Registry change - For luck or whatever.

Arkane78
  • Arkane78

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey smile.gif

I used to run SP2 until I saw GTA 4 needed SP3, so updated and not a single problem with SP3 so far.

For those running XP SP2 - I'd recommend updating to SP3, but back up your system first (if you can) - if you can't backup, then you are given the option to uninstall the service pack when you update to SP3 - so if it causes you serious issues, you can always go into safe mode and uninstall.

I don't think it's worth dual-booting your PC for 1 game unless you really want to, if your current Windows XP PC works okay as it is, why dual boot - in the end it will take more time to install Vista + SP1, configure dual-booting, test it (making sure you CAN dual-boot) then it will to download SP3, install it and reboot.

I'm not telling anyone what to do though - so please don't misinterpret me, I'm just offering my advice as a former XP-SP2 user who updated to SP3 just yesterday.

(I'm of the ilk, if it isn't broken, don't fix it - SP2 wasn't broken, but I needed SP3 to play GTA 4 and any newer games that require SP3... so hence I updated.)

Peace.

A78

eitow
  • eitow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:25 AM Edited by eitow, 07 December 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Here is how:

Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in  regedit and press enter
Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion"  from "0x00000200" (SP2) to the Windows XP SP3 value of "0x00000300"

Do I have to do this before installing the game or after? I did it after and game won't load.
I am using FeDOR's crack, and says I got error and couldn't load?What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Thanks!

mortuus
  • mortuus

Death Walking Terror

• Members

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

You dont have to mess with the registry, it can mess your computer, instead make LaunchGTAIV.exe to run in Win2k mode and it works. simple as that!

jattlee
  • jattlee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

ok, id13 i tried what u said and it would launch, but then the screen turns black and the onlythin you could see is the taskbar and the mouse. i tried restartingh a few times after that and still doesnt work with the reg edit. what could i be doing wrong? i have xp service pack 2, with 2 gigs ram and a really new ge force nvidia video card (forget # lol).so i no my comp is up to running it cuz it met the minimum requirements except the service pack 3, which mont install on my computer bcuz of sum error.

BigSlongsDaddy
  • BigSlongsDaddy

Peon

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

you can run the game with no sp as long as you install or run the game in windows 2000 mode ,witch is right click on the gta4 exe properties ,compability run as windows 2000.

Raidx44
  • Raidx44

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Khalids19 @ Dec 4 2008, 12:16)
id13 now ur the man im gona try it on sp2 when i get gtaiv because i didnt buy it yet and even if i buy it i will buy the pirated version because in our country the original version will be like $50 and it will reach in my country until feb 2009 and i cant wait for long so i will buy pirated version and test the registry trick and post my results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50$!!!!! wow that alot of money suicidal.gif

Why dont you want to upgrade to SP3
there is no reason not too

Whytey
  • Whytey

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

I run GTAIV on sp2 and i did not change any other files or regsettings

Sam25
  • Sam25

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

The method works 100% for sure!

I followed the steps mentioned by 'ld13' and was able to install Rockstar Games Social Club on my PC and the game ran flawlessly on my Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Many thanks @ ld13! smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users