Photo

HOWTO: FIX FOR MISSING TEXTURES -

32 replies to this topic
dkm87
  • dkm87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

After 36 hours of frustration - and brain straining ive found the solution.

From my experience and opinion this IS NOT R*'s fault directly. However i beleive its due the the sheer size of the game (16gb) running through vista is just bound to have some issues when installing. it also explains why for some people it runs - then after loading the game back up its useless (the files are to fragmented)

The reason everyone is missng textures is because their game files are scattered/fragmented and the engine of the game doesnt seem able to pick them up quick enough. This is why some people including myself previously only had very random textures load up.

I run a program called "tune up ultilites 2009". This has registry cleaner and a very very very good disk defragmenter. DO NOT use windows defragmenter - it will not do the job successfully. You can find this program through mininova etc. It also has a 30 day trial period from its own website.

Any questions just ask.

fflaguna
  • fflaguna

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

I've had issues with Oblivion crashing randomly at times which went away after I defragged, so I defragged GTA IV before I started playing. I use O&O defrag. I'll see if there's more I can do.

Quanta
  • Quanta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Yeah i defragged too, with periform defraggler http://www.defraggler.com/

NecroViolator
  • NecroViolator

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Defrag isnt the answer...
This WONT help people who just started the game and ALL textures are gone...

NO, sorry...

vaursechs
  • vaursechs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:24 PM Edited by vaursechs, 03 December 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Sorry... this might have done the job for you, but this is NOT the fix..
I've tried installing GTA 4 on a freshly FORMATTED partition which is even better dan defragging... problem was still there..
And edit: I'm running a samsung F1 1000GB HDD on serial ATA.. So its not my harddrive can't keeping it up.. dozingoff.gif

nitro_hedgehog
  • nitro_hedgehog

pc gamer

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (dkm87 @ Dec 3 2008, 15:11)
After 36 hours of frustration - and brain straining ive found the solution.

From my experience and opinion this IS NOT R*'s fault directly. However i beleive its due the the sheer size of the game (16gb) running through vista is just bound to have some issues when installing. it also explains why for some people it runs - then after loading the game back up its useless (the files are to fragmented)

The reason everyone is missng textures is because their game files are scattered/fragmented and the engine of the game doesnt seem able to pick them up quick enough. This is why some people including myself previously only had very random textures load up.

I run a program called "tune up ultilites 2009". This has registry cleaner and a very very very good disk defragmenter. DO NOT use windows defragmenter - it will not do the job successfully. You can find this program through mininova etc. It also has a 30 day trial period from its own website.

Any questions just ask.

windows defrag is as good as any other defragger. it's just horribly slow. i used O&O defrag to completely defrag the entire drive. plus you said that VISTA is bound to have issues. that doesn't help us XP users at all. and registry cleaners didn't help me. your "solution" seems to apply to all games. any game thats horribly fragmented has issues like this. but when everything is prepped properly it is SUPPOSED to work. but GTA doesn't work even with all this prep due to nvidia driver issues.

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:43 PM Edited by GTAMonkey2012, 03 December 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Ok as we are talking defrag, heres a MS dos based tool that will defrag ONLY the files or folders you want and need rather than an entire drive.

Its called "contig.exe" I was advised to use it via games programmer for Bohemia Interactive who make Armed Assault who rated it well as ARMA has alot of draw distance and buffering and it did help so its not a crappy tool my any means.

So ...

1. Download and check the details HERE (download link is a the base of the page).
2. Copy "contig.exe" to the following location:

(*Drive Letter*):\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV

Drop it into the root here along side the game exe's.

3. Right click over the copied contig.exe and "create shorcut to desktop".
4. Right click and select properties on the new created shortcut and in the target add these addition flags at the end:

"E:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -s *.* -v

So after the tagets last > " < add a space, then -s, then a space, then *.* then a space. then -v

Then ok it. BTW my drive letter happens to be "E" where I installed, dont read into that yours will be wherever you installed.

5. Double click and it will do its thing.

NOTE: In Vista it wont run you have to right click over the shortcut and then select "run as administrator" .

It will open a black DOS window, contig will then start to check every folder and file under its location where its ran from (thats why you stick it in the root of the game folder) ... you will see on screen each file it finds, how fragmented and whats its doing. Once its complete the dos window will simply close and all complete. It will show if nothing needs to be done.

This is a big game and yes it may take time so run it and make lots of cups of tea biggrin.gif , but the best part is it is ONLY defragging the game folder or what you tell it too than say defragging an entire drive for the sake of just 18gig install, it does work and does help. This will only defrag what it finds anything else gets skipped. You can use the exact procedure on anything not just games. so any game just do the same procedure but for that game folder.

dkm87
  • dkm87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

Take myadvice how you want.

Ive done everything possible before this. This IS the answer.

Try it and trust me

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Take my advice and you wont have to defrag your entire drive just for the game smile.gif I dont have the missing textures issue but thought Id help those reluctant to defrag because its slow on a huge drive. Im running it now and already theres plenty of fragmented texture files and it wash fresh install only yesterday, so hop to it!

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Heres a screen of it working while defragging the single game folder/structure so you can see what it reports (mine's running as we speak) .

http://img217.images...1/defraggt0.jpg

billy22
  • billy22

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:41 PM Edited by billy22, 03 December 2008 - 04:50 PM.

QUOTE (dkm87 @ Dec 3 2008, 15:46)
Take myadvice how you want.

Ive done everything possible before this. This IS the answer.

Try it and trust me

nvm i just wanna defrag the gta folder sad.gif

Th3 ProphetMan
  • Th3 ProphetMan

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:49 PM Edited by Th3 ProphetMan, 03 December 2008 - 04:51 PM.

QUOTE (GTAMonkey2012 @ Dec 3 2008, 15:57)
Heres a screen of it working while defragging the single game folder/structure so you can see what it reports (mine's running as we speak) .

mine as well, and by the looks of it, it may take a looong while given there are 5.000 files in 14gb, so even maybe 4.000 are too little and wont even be defragmented.

Maybe for thouse who are in a rush you can tell the contig.exe file to defragment only .img and .rpf and .bik files, which are the big ones, which might be fragmented into hundres of pieces.

i guess this could be done with something like this, in several shourtcuts (change directory where needed):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.img
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.rpf
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.bik

Defragmenting the whole system would be the ideal thigh to do anyway, so i will try that eventually as well...

xtaz
  • xtaz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Defragmented my entire D: drive (which contains GTA4) and guess what, NO GO..

billy22
  • billy22

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Quanta @ Dec 3 2008, 15:22)
Yeah i defragged too, with periform defraggler http://www.defraggler.com/

didnt work

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Th3 ProphetMan @ Dec 3 2008, 16:49)
QUOTE (GTAMonkey2012 @ Dec 3 2008, 15:57)

mine as well, and by the looks of it, it may take a looong while given there are 5.000 files in 14gb, so even maybe 4.000 are too little and wont even be defragmented.

Maybe for thouse who are in a rush you can tell the contig.exe file to defragment only .img and .rpf and .bik files, which are the big ones, which might be fragmented into hundres of pieces.

i guess this could be done with something like this, in several shourtcuts (change directory where needed):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.img
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.rpf
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\Contig.exe" -v -s *.bik

Defragmenting the whole system would be the ideal thigh to do anyway, so i will try that eventually as well...

Yes indeed its super flixible thats why I posted, sorry to see that it doesnt help direct with this issue for some, but I posted here as a mention of a defragger that is folder specific and quick to run, I dont have the texture issues missing problem myself, hope that get rectified tiz bloody strange.

As defragging a game folder "anyway" goes its handy.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

1. install game.
2. run CCleaner
3. Clean registry
4. Ultimate Defrag. (Custom files: Program Files, Windows and GTA. Put GTA on outer tracks.) Consolidate, respect archive & high performance.
The readme explains how to defrag a gaming computer.

a schedule I run every time after game installations. Or every 2 weeks, due to 20-50 GB daily traffic....

dkm87
  • dkm87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

You guys that use defrag and say it doesnt work - what defrag are you using?

Windows defrag is uselss for this - beleive me - i just went throguh all this!!!

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

Contig didn't work as well for me, my textures are fine but sometimes it will take time to load the textures icon13.gif

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

Nice going, mate. Just plug your sh*tty programs all over this forum.

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (The Horror Is Alive @ Aug 6 2009, 03:51)
Nice going, mate. Just plug your sh*tty programs all over this forum.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I use Diskeeper and my rain still doesn't hit the ground so nope not the solution for me.

Haywood Giablomi
  • Haywood Giablomi

Menace to Sobriety

• Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:09 PM Edited by Haywood Giablomi, 06 August 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Been using this for years, much faster than MS defrag and seems to work very well.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

http://download.cnet...4-10567503.html

StoOopiD
  • StoOopiD

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:13 AM Edited by StoOopiD, 07 August 2009 - 02:15 AM.

PERFECTDISK 10 cookie.gif WNS!!!

it defrags with smart placement

it also defrags the system files @ restart
these files are locked while the OS is in use. Boot,MFT, page etc.

with the autopilot feature u can have perfectdisk do everything and shut the system down when its finished.which is very nice
hit the autopilot button, shutoff monitor, shutoff speakers, ZZZZZZZZ yawn.gif

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (StoOopiD @ Aug 6 2009, 21:13)
PERFECTDISK 10 cookie.gif WNS!!!

these files are locked while the OS is in use. Boot,MFT, page etc.

with the autopilot feature u can have perfectdisk do everything and shut the system down when its finished.which is very nice

You can with Diskeeper as well.

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

hey guys is the raining INSIDE Tunnels/Restaurants/Bars/Safehouses or anywhere with a ROOF is bug? man, im in the safehouse and it rains inside.. crappy...

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (truehighroller @ Aug 7 2009, 05:33)
QUOTE (StoOopiD @ Aug 6 2009, 21:13)
PERFECTDISK 10      cookie.gif WNS!!!

these files are locked while the OS is in use. Boot,MFT, page  etc.

You can with Diskeeper as well.

There are many very good freeware apps taht do almost the same job. Like Ultradefrag.

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

will somebody answer my question? sad.gif i already defragged mine, i think it's already my system, but the raining thing inside safehouses, tunnels, restaurants and anything with a roof, is it a bug? sad.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Have you tried reinstalling?

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (blood_hound @ Aug 7 2009, 05:44)
will somebody answer my question? sad.gif i already defragged mine, i think it's already my system, but the raining thing inside safehouses, tunnels, restaurants and anything with a roof, is it a bug? sad.gif

From what I have read, yes.

Extortionate
  • Extortionate

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

LMAO. Got to laugh at people who use all of these freeware programs just to solve unrelated issues. It's no wonder people have so much crap on their systems, crap to clean the crap.

perfectpitch
  • perfectpitch

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Extortionate @ Aug 7 2009, 13:57)
LMAO. Got to laugh at people who use all of these freeware programs just to solve unrelated issues. It's no wonder people have so much crap on their systems, crap to clean the crap.

Yeah... Like washing your fruit in the sewers to get rid of the pesticides. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users