Logitech controller not working.

63 replies to this topic
SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

+1 Wheelman...

It's a bloody braindead decision to drop the ability to even configure a Windows joypad in GTA 4 as we could in San Andreas.

I like the PS3 controller and after using it to play GTA 4 on the PS3 I was expecting to be able to use it on the PC version.
I was thinking of getting an xbox controller before but then found a way to get the PS3 to work which I'm happier with and saves me 30 quid.

Seems crazy to not support a Windows compatible controller..

This whole gaming for Windows thing does look like R* have got into bed with Microsoft and conformed to what Microsoft probably insist on - xbox 360 only controller options and all the login business... sad.gif

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Big Homie

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Alwintheboy @ Dec 2 2008, 20:46)
So that means only xbox 360 controller can be used on gta iv !? wow.gif nnnooooooooooooo~~~~ facedesk.gif suicidal.gif

Games which wish to be included in the Games for Windows platform must meet certain requirements:
• Must support the Xbox 360 wired and wireless controllers

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Graven @ Dec 3 2008, 13:41)
Games which wish to be included in the Games for Windows platform must meet certain requirements:
• Must support the Xbox 360 wired and wireless controllers

There is a significant difference between "must support the XBox 360 controller" and "must support only the XBox 360 controller".

QUOTE (SlingshotUK)
does look like R* have got into bed with Microsoft

That seems to be exactly the problem.

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

And if the xbox 360 controller is really the only one useable, then I would suggest to rockstar that they fix the damn game for full mouse and keyboard controls!!! sigh.gif Ever went bowling with mouse and keyboard? "Press left or right to get into trowing posistion" OK fine, works and all... "In one motion pull the MOUSE back and then quickly thrust it forward" Doesn't work at all, he just stands there, holding the damn ball... confused.gif

Edit: I contacted rockstar for this issue.. they didn't even bother to reply... Real great customer support dozingoff.gif

tg-vulcan
  • tg-vulcan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Alucard155 @ Dec 3 2008, 13:57)
And if the xbox 360 controller is really the only one useable, then I would suggest to rockstar that they fix the damn game for full mouse and keyboard controls!!! sigh.gif Ever went bowling with mouse and keyboard? "Press left or right to get into trowing posistion" OK fine, works and all... "In one motion pull the MOUSE back and then quickly thrust it forward" Doesn't work at all, he just stands there, holding the damn ball... confused.gif

Edit: I contacted rockstar for this issue.. they didn't even bother to reply... Real great customer support dozingoff.gif

It works alucard, just gotta do it right. Keep trying.

I emailed them about my controller not working as well.

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (tg-vulcan @ Dec 3 2008, 14:57)
And if the xbox 360 controller is really the only one useable, then I would suggest to rockstar that they fix the damn game for full mouse and keyboard controls!!!  sigh.gif   Ever went bowling with mouse and keyboard? "Press left or right to get into trowing posistion" OK fine, works and all... "In one motion pull the MOUSE back and then quickly thrust it forward" Doesn't work at all, he just stands there, holding the damn ball...  confused.gif

Edit: I contacted rockstar for this issue.. they didn't even bother to reply... Real great customer support  dozingoff.gif

Nice one! I'm hoping R* will listen to the complaints about controller support and add in support for Windows controllers - in the same way they did for GTA 3, VC and SA...

Fingers crossed as I can't play it until that's sorted, unless I buy a 360 controller.. sad.gif

Alucard155
  • Alucard155

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (tg-vulcan @ Dec 3 2008, 14:57)
And if the xbox 360 controller is really the only one useable, then I would suggest to rockstar that they fix the damn game for full mouse and keyboard controls!!!  sigh.gif   Ever went bowling with mouse and keyboard? "Press left or right to get into trowing posistion" OK fine, works and all... "In one motion pull the MOUSE back and then quickly thrust it forward" Doesn't work at all, he just stands there, holding the damn ball...  confused.gif

Edit: I contacted rockstar for this issue.. they didn't even bother to reply... Real great customer support  dozingoff.gif

Uhm dude tounge.gif I have gone crazy with my mouse and the guy doesn't move an inch confused.gif

deathcontract
  • deathcontract

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

The hole control system is a epic fail icon13.gif i'm let down by the support for gamepads i can consider playing something like cs with a keyboard and mouse wich i did in the past but gta was always best played with a external gamepad i dunno how you can even play with a keyboard and mouse i play alot of fps games with keyboard and mouse but gta? your crazy it's a pain in the ass i purchased the game of steam and i've had nothing but workarounds installing a bunch of updates ect lucky i bought my 9600 gt hopefully in the future they will acully start making games for the pc that will just work out of the box a huge % of people will not know how to even get it working with all these workarounds basicly if you dont know a chit load about computers you wont be able to figure it out peroid concluding that the noobish pc user wont know were to start they need to fix these workarounds for pc games it should be fn plug n play all day! FTW icon14.gif

Spicey
  • Spicey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

Very disappointing that I can't use my Logitech Rumblepad 2 with this game. I found the combination of gamepad for vehicles and mouse/kb for running around to be perfect in GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas.

I haven't bought the game yet and I won't be until non Microsoft gamepads are supported. Glad I found this thread before buying a copy!

Please Rockstar sort this out!

deathcontract
  • deathcontract

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

icon14.gif I'm leaving shortly to super walmart xbox gamepad is a small cost i want to play !!!

Spicey
  • Spicey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:45 PM Edited by Spicey, 03 December 2008 - 03:53 PM.

QUOTE (deathcontract @ Dec 3 2008, 15:42)
icon14.gif   I'm leaving shortly to super walmart xbox gamepad is a small cost i want to play !!!

Then Microsoft have succeeded in fleecing extra money out of you for no real reason. Be strong and resist!

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

has anyone had any sucess getting another pad to work ?

NivKing
  • NivKing

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

make an official complain, thet will teach m

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=378933

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Just make it work !!!

warlordcs
  • warlordcs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

i +1 this
ive had a saitek shaped like ps2 controller since gta3 and has worked great for me, now some corporate dick is gonna force me to buy another one.
i refuse to buy one, i hope this is resolved and if not i hope someone makes a hack to bypass it.
and give us back our custom mapping of keys

off note tho you can save your game without even registerning or signing online to any of these services
just search for all my posts there arent many

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Well if there is any kind of organised complaint organised for this, count me in.

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Wheelman @ Dec 3 2008, 13:32)
QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 3 2008, 11:10)
It can't be a huge job to add that into a game..

It's not about the size of the job of adding support. It's about why they took the effort to implement support for the XBox360 controller, and then spent more effort in making sure that nothing else works, even emulators, apparently.

Aside from the obvious technical issues of the poor performance, imo there are many design choices Rockstar have taken that they should, in fairness, be keelhauled for.

Like only supporting the XBox controller. Dear Rockstar/Microsoft, I neither have or want an XBox controller. I already have a perfectly functional Logitech controller which resembles a PS2 controller, which I prefer. The whole point of a PC is that you can choose your components - like your mouse, keyboard, monitor, cpu, etc. Forcing GTA4 to use only an XBox controller is not going to make me buy an XBox controller. All it will achieve is pissing me off and making me resentful of having that choice taken away, and make me less likely to spend money on future Rockstar/GFWL titles.

Then there's the talk of the deliberate design issues about needing to be signed into GFWL even just to save single player games. This took me by surprise as Rockstar said in their DRM FAQ that full single player would always be available without needing to be online. I'll find out myself tonight as I'm sat at work with GTA4 on my desk, having been delivered today. But if the reports are correct and you do actually need GFWL to save your own games, I've only one comment for this, and it's simply: whoever decided that this restriction be included should be fired. It's unacceptable to have your single player game restricted by the availability of GFWL servers or your own internet connection. In addition, it adds a level of external control to your own private gaming that is neither welcome or necessary.

I couldn't agree more Wheelman.

My copy of GTAIV is yet to be delivered, but assuming that this is a general problem then allow me to enter full "Rant Mode":

[RANT]
We all know that Microsoft's business model is to steal other people's ideas and then piss all over their territory until the competition has to leave with wet socks, but come on Rockstar don't HELP them! The Logitech Cordless Rumblepad2 is a lovely little controller and extremely configurable. I play all my games with the Rumplepad in one hand and my MX Revolution mouse in the other. I set it up with all the game's keyboard shortcuts, I have full analogue-stick movement and still retain precision mouse control with my other hand… it's the best of all worlds. And then in strolls Microsoft, pushes Logitech into the corner and instructs Rockstar to punch them if they move.

Rockstar make the best game in the world, our beloved GTA, but they have a terrible split personality and the big boys are a bad influence on them. I WANT MY RUMBLEPAD! I've been playing GTA for years, almost every day, and it just won't be the same without that fluid analogue movement. With all their twists and turns over the last few years this is the first thing that Rockstar have done to make me truly angry. They have omitted general gamepad control to please Microsoft, but at the expense of the us, the consumer. Bad show Rockstar.

Logitech should fight back by adding XBox Controller emulation to their driver software. Unless there is a copyright issue then surely that should be easy enough. Come on Logitech, don't just hang your socks on the radiator and walk away; we need you to give Microsoft/Rockstar a taste of their own… medicine.

[/RANT]

I have emailed Logitech on the issue and if I find a solution in any way I will report back here. W.A.S.D. here we come – for now.

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 3 2008, 16:09)
Well if there is any kind of organised complaint organised for this, count me in.

Man, rockstar and Ms are idiots, no wonder people dislike MS, this is just another way MS can tru and squeeze money out of people, I already have a pad and am not wasting bones on a 360 gamepad. My current pad should work fine.

Spicey
  • Spicey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (disposeablehero @ Dec 3 2008, 16:11)
QUOTE (SlingShotUK @ Dec 3 2008, 16:09)

Man, rockstar and Ms are idiots, no wonder people dislike MS, this is just another way MS can tru and squeeze money out of people, I already have a pad and am not wasting bones on a 360 gamepad. My current pad should work fine.

Exactly, it should work fine, MS have gone out of their way to make all non MS controllers unuseable with GTA IV. Cynical and unacceptable.

The more I read the more I don't want this game, I'll vote with my wallet

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

I got a nice speedy response from Logitech regarding my support question. Unfortunately they totally missed the point and only replied in their usual "I'm reading from a sheet of answers" type of way.

QUOTE (Me)
Is there any way I can use the RumblePads2's analogue sticks in "Games For Windows" games?

(I know they can be mapped as keyboard inputs, but I am talking about their actual intended analogue function).

Microsoft seem to be slowly pushing Logitech out of the gamepad market and killing off my Rumblepad in the process. With most new games only supporting the unconfigurable Xbox controller I wondered if Logitech have tweaked their gamepad drivers to offer Xbox controller emulation yet? If not what other route could you suggest to prevent my Rumblepad becoming obsolete technology?

QUOTE (Logitech)
Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

As I understand, you would like to use the gamepad on certain games.

In regards to this issue, I would suggest that you check with the game manufacturers to see if the game itself supports the gamepad. If the game does not support the gamepad natively, the gamepad would not work. This has to be done by the manufacturer. Logitech can only provide you with the software that enables the mapping of the gamepad buttons to keystrokes.

If you have any additional questions or comments regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com and update this incident.

Thank you for choosing Logitech. Have a nice day!

So no luck there. I will try again though... you never know, they might have one real living human working for them.

Spicey
  • Spicey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:42 PM Edited by Spicey, 03 December 2008 - 07:45 PM.

QUOTE (MorlockGod @ Dec 3 2008, 17:17)
I got a nice speedy response from Logitech regarding my support question.  Unfortunately they totally missed the point and only replied in their usual "I'm reading from a sheet of answers" type of way.

QUOTE (Me)
Is there any way I can use the RumblePads2's analogue sticks in "Games For Windows" games?

(I know they can be mapped as keyboard inputs, but I am talking about their actual intended analogue function).

Microsoft seem to be slowly pushing Logitech out of the gamepad market and killing off my Rumblepad in the process. With most new games only supporting the unconfigurable Xbox controller I wondered if Logitech have tweaked their gamepad drivers to offer Xbox controller emulation yet? If not what other route could you suggest to prevent my Rumblepad becoming obsolete technology?

QUOTE (Logitech)
Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

As I understand, you would like to use the gamepad on certain games.

In regards to this issue, I would suggest that you check with the game manufacturers to see if the game itself supports the gamepad. If the game does not support the gamepad natively, the gamepad would not work. This has to be done by the manufacturer. Logitech can only provide you with the software that enables the mapping of the gamepad buttons to keystrokes.

If you have any additional questions or comments regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com and update this incident.

Thank you for choosing Logitech. Have a nice day!

So no luck there. I will try again though... you never know, they might have one real living human working for them.

It's a long shot, but let us know if a Logitech humanoid replies!

Seriously though, I'm so peeved non MS gamepads aren't supported. It's put me right off

The cheapest XBox 360 controller for Windows I've seen is on Play.com. £17.99 delivered. Even though cheap I'm not budging out of principle

grahamofboro
  • grahamofboro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

I am totally shocked at the absolute contempt that the loyal fans and customers of GTA have been treated with.

They know exactly what they are doing, £35 wasn't enough to squeeze out of me and now they want me to buy an x box 360 controller as well.

I could almost live with the fact that the game barely runs on all minimum settings but this has really taken the p*ss to the extreme.

Not only does my logitec rumblepad not work, but my old MICROSOFT Sidewinder pad also doesn't work.

... and we can't even take the game back to the shop because we have the serial number!!

I've been buying GTA since the first version and have always been delighted with the excellent and detailed product I have received.

But I cannot express how deeply disappointed I am with this shocking treatment. It is literally at the point of disbelief

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

I wish I was a pc genius because I'd somehow fix this for everyone lol

That logitech keymapping might be an idea, now how do I do that ?

twitchyx
  • twitchyx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

The keymapper is an unsatisfactory workaround.

MozzerV12
  • MozzerV12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

There is a post over at the Steam forums: http://forums.steamp...05&postcount=15

"There certainly are strings for other joypads in the exe file, but who knows where those comes from and if code for reading them is being called at all, microsoft probably made sure that will never happen. I pulled these from GTAIV.exe:
JOYSTICK_TYPE
PSX/USB Pad Adaptor (4-axis, 12-button, POV,effects)
USB PSX JOYDAPTER
USB PSX JOYDAPTER
PSX for USB Converter
DirectPad Pro Controller
Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro
SideWinder Game Pad Pro
HID-compliant game controller
USB Human Interface Device
MP-8866 Dual USB Joypad
MP-866 Dual USB Joypad
Dual USB Force Feedback Joypad (MP-8866)
GIC USB Joystick
Logitech WingMan Cordless Gamepad USB
WingMan Cordless Gamepad
SmartJoy PLUS Adapter
Psjoy Vibration feedback (USB) Joystick
PS Vibration Feedback Converter
MP-8888 USB Joypad
4 axis 16 button joystick
***** Do you have a 'smart joy pad' or a 'PS-PC USB XK-PC200x'?
***** Add JOYSTICK_TYPE=2 to your environment for 'smart joy pad'
***** Add JOYSTICK_TYPE=4 to your environment for 'XK-PC200x'
Interact Gaming Device
XBCD XBox Gamepad
TigerGame Xbox to USB Controller
XNA Gamepad
XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)
Microsoft Xbox Wired Gamepad (Controller)
Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
SmartJoy PLUS USB Adapter
USB Vibration Gamepad
UNKNOWN joypad type found."

If this is correct then there clearly are plenty of other joypads which can be recognised, I'm hoping that it will be fixed properly in the first patch.

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

It better be a geniune mistake, although it's looking like a MS sneak-fest to me !!

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (MozzerV12 @ Dec 3 2008, 22:11)
There is a post over at the Steam forums: http://forums.steamp...05&postcount=15

"There certainly are strings for other joypads in the exe file, but who knows where those comes from and if code for reading them is being called at all, microsoft probably made sure that will never happen. I pulled these from GTAIV.exe:
JOYSTICK_TYPE
PSX/USB Pad Adaptor (4-axis, 12-button, POV,effects)
USB PSX JOYDAPTER
USB PSX JOYDAPTER
PSX for USB Converter
DirectPad Pro Controller
Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro
SideWinder Game Pad Pro
HID-compliant game controller
USB Human Interface Device
MP-8866 Dual USB Joypad
MP-866 Dual USB Joypad
Dual USB Force Feedback Joypad (MP-8866)
GIC USB Joystick
Logitech WingMan Cordless Gamepad USB
WingMan Cordless Gamepad
SmartJoy PLUS Adapter
Psjoy Vibration feedback (USB) Joystick
PS Vibration Feedback Converter
MP-8888 USB Joypad
4 axis 16 button joystick
***** Do you have a 'smart joy pad' or a 'PS-PC USB XK-PC200x'?
***** Add JOYSTICK_TYPE=2 to your environment for 'smart joy pad'
***** Add JOYSTICK_TYPE=4 to your environment for 'XK-PC200x'
Interact Gaming Device
XBCD XBox Gamepad
TigerGame Xbox to USB Controller
XNA Gamepad
XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)
Microsoft Xbox Wired Gamepad (Controller)
Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
SmartJoy PLUS USB Adapter
USB Vibration Gamepad
UNKNOWN joypad type found."

If this is correct then there clearly are plenty of other joypads which can be recognised, I'm hoping that it will be fixed properly in the first patch.

Brilliant post - thanks for pasting it Mozzer.

This does increase the chances of us getting proper joypad support.. If it's in the EXE they must have done something with this at some point.. So hopefully it won't be too big of a job to activate..

Fingers crossed..

Spicey
  • Spicey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

Good find, hopefully a patch will be out before Xmas!

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hey guys, I don't want to be pushy, but read my post - http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1058705205
I've solved all your controller problems.

iRocco
  • iRocco

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

absolutely ridiculous! give us a fix now and fix the non AA too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users