» «
Photo

SecuROM will be used!

200 replies to this topic
DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:23 PM Edited by DML, 30 November 2008 - 10:26 PM.

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 1 2008, 01:34)
If you want to play the game without the cd check there are plenty of legitimate download services that you can use to purchase the game from.  I have decided to go retail this time around and probably by the end of this month I will purchase the game from steam as well for the convenience of having no CD in the drive.

Jesus Christ Charlie, that's some serious cash your fronting up there - just to play the game without a disc in the drive. I am waiting (hopefully there is a week or two of waiting) for the no-disc crack to be released. The game should be able to be cracked so that it doesn't need a disc, while still needing online activation to install/activate (just like Bioshock did when it was first released).

The protection should remain ALWAYS at the install/activation stage of the game, and not this ridiculous "having the disc in the drive to play". These are PCs...with hard disk drives of (usually) considerable size. We shouldn't need the disc in to play a game...especially when the game needs to be activated online during install.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 30 2008, 23:23)
The protection should remain ALWAYS at the install/activation stage of the game, and not this ridiculous "having the disc in the drive to play".  These are PCs...with hard disk drives of (usually) considerable size.  We shouldn't need the disc in to play a game...especially when the game needs to be activated online during install.

This is the thing DML PC games have always had a cd check. I don't necessarily agree with the cd check but it is nothing NEW to the PC. Publishers and developers have become aware that people get fed up of the cd check so they came up with another way to protect their work and get rid of the cd check which was of course "limited activations".

We all know how well the limited activations went down with the general populace. It seems to me you have a choice either a cd check or limited activations. If I have a choice between them I would choose a cd check any day of the week.

Now it would be nice if there was obviously no protection at all but that isn't possible when you see some of the behaviour demonstrated on this forum over the past few days with people being actually GLEEFUL of leaks and the chance to steal something.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 1 2008, 08:41)
...behaviour demonstrated on this forum over the past few days with people being actually GLEEFUL of leaks and the chance to steal something.

They're most-likely just XBox fanboys, who are trying oh so hard to find some retribution for all the sh*t we gave them after their precious XBox 360 version got leaked 1 week before the release date, and no protection could stop it. It still makes me laugh even today.

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

What the hell is net framework and what does it do? I mean god how many obstacles are they putting in the way... i bet when everything is finnaly installed and my computer is set to go i will get a text bubble saying "You werent meant to get this far. Buy a 360 so you can play GTAIV. Signed Bill Gates"

Nomad91
  • Nomad91

Life is Complicated...

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

Ok, I have a question...
It says 1 install per system. I am upgrading my comp soon, but before I put the parts in I wanna see if it will go on my current rig. After I've played it, I will upgrade motherboard, processor, RAM, and PSU. And then I will reinstall Windows XP from scratch. Will I be able to install it on my new upgraded system? I am using the GTA IV from steam.

bp2018
  • bp2018

Cheese Doodle

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

EA
Limited installs
Requires disc in drive to play
Securom runs 24/7
Used to require a validation every 10 days

Rockstar
Unlimited installs
Does NOT require the disc in the drive
Securom only runs while game is running
Single activation only, can be done from any pc with internet connection

(mind you the no dvd needed is based off of the "disc will be required until street date" part of the securom faq)

Rockstar care about the community, redesigned the game for the pc, increasing graphics, AI and god knows what else, then proceeded to purchase a copy protection system which they then nerf to the point where it virtually isn't even doing anything just so pc gamers would be happy and yet most of you sit here whining about it still.

EA dont give a dam about the community and create a copy protection system so intense you may aswell hack the FBI database as it would give you better enjoyment and less hassle.

Those who are complaining, grow up, stop complaining that it "uses a copy protection system I wont touch that!" and try reading what the system involves, A SINGLE activation and THATS ALL.

Sorry but im sick of people putting down games because of securom without looking further than the name, this version of securom is nothing more than a tool to stop people getting the game before release date, and then verifying they did indeed purchase it, its not going to blow up your computer for a single ID check. I dont see you complaining about ID checks at clubs or pubs, its just common sense, I apologise if I offended anyone but sheesh, get over this "securom automatically makes a bad game" bs.

ThomasPL
  • ThomasPL

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

I have deamon tools and alcohol 120% and I need these programs. One guy says me if I have these programs on hard disk SecuRom will find them and game won't start? Is this true? I must know it.

nikop
  • nikop

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (ThomasPL @ Dec 1 2008, 15:54)
I have deamon tools and alcohol 120% and I need these programs. One guy says me if I have these programs on hard disk SecuRom will find them and game won't start? Is this true? I must know it.

Disabling will be enough

ThomasPL
  • ThomasPL

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Are you sure? I must know it.

Demonith
  • Demonith

PC game player

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

SecuRom will be broken like The Suffering 2 and ather games ho hawe SecuRom suicidal.gif

Wezz6400
  • Wezz6400

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (vachon644 @ Nov 30 2008, 22:14)
QUOTE (Neon25 @ Nov 30 2008, 21:04)
AFAIK there aren't any "licenses". As long as you have a CD-Key, you can install the game even on 100 PCs if you want.

It have been said that with digital distribution (AKA Steam, Direct2Drive) there's a 5 computer limit. So uh...

That's not true. Rockstar has stated that some download services might impose a computer limit, and if GTA IV is available on that download service that goes for GTA IV on that too. This means Rockstar doesn't do it unless the download service requires it. Steam does not do this, it requires you to login before you play instead. This means that there is no 5 PC limit on Steam. I do not know about other download services, however as the Rockstar repp in the interview said, just check before you buy. smile.gif

Oh and just to be clear, there is no install limit whatsoever on the retail version. Just a activation. No activation limit, or install limit.

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:07 PM Edited by .:Alex:., 01 December 2008 - 06:11 PM.

QUOTE (bp2018 @ Dec 1 2008, 05:22)
EA
Limited installs
Requires disc in drive to play
Securom runs 24/7
Used to require a validation every 10 days

Rockstar
Unlimited installs
Does NOT require the disc in the drive
Securom only runs while game is running
Single activation only, can be done from any pc with internet connection

(mind you the no dvd needed is based off of the "disc will be required until street date" part of the securom faq)

Rockstar care about the community, redesigned the game for the pc, increasing graphics, AI and god knows what else, then proceeded to purchase a copy protection system which they then nerf to the point where it virtually isn't even doing anything just so pc gamers would be happy and yet most of you sit here whining about it still.

EA dont give a dam about the community and create a copy protection system so intense you may aswell hack the FBI database as it would give you better enjoyment and less hassle.

Those who are complaining, grow up, stop complaining that it "uses a copy protection system I wont touch that!" and try reading what the system involves, A SINGLE activation and THATS ALL.

Sorry but im sick of people putting down games because of securom without looking further than the name, this version of securom is nothing more than a tool to stop people getting the game before release date, and then verifying they did indeed purchase it, its not going to blow up your computer for a single ID check. I dont see you complaining about ID checks at clubs or pubs, its just common sense, I apologise if I offended anyone but sheesh, get over this "securom automatically makes a bad game" bs.

I agree that Rockstar are much, much better than EA will ever be, but the fact still remains that SecuROM secretly installs to your PC and is almost completely unremovable. SecuROM is malware, pure and simple. It phones home, hinders performance, disables hardware, software and doesn't even work properly (not just in terms of protection, but in terms of the malice it is programmed to execute - which is flawed). It even attempted to prevent me from making a simple legitimate data backup on disc, let alone everything else. At the very least, copy protection should stay on the disc. That's the whole point of it in the first place. Controlling my computer is not part of the deal.

I know that, unlike EA, Rockstar only chose to use SecuROM because it's "stronger" than other copy-protection systems. I've just been through the SecuROM crap so much, that I want nothing to do with it anymore. No matter who uses it, and in whatever form. If that means not purchasing every new PC game under the sun, then that's exactly the course of action I'll take. I'll stick around for the inevitable mass of "Game and PC gone batsh*t (due to SecuROM)" posts that will show up eventually. Every other Take 2 game with SecuROM included has had this happen.

I am not so much against DRM as I am against this particular form of DRM. The sooner SecuROM's true nature is exposed in the lawsuit, the better. Then PC gaming can get back to how things used to be. Sony tried this heinous trick a few years ago with XCP and were caught. They will be caught again.

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

http://www.news.com....5014117,00.html

Lawsuit against spore/secuROM/DRM .. back in September this article sorry if its a repeat.

Darklord666
  • Darklord666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

WOW, this is the worst installation routine I ever saw in my whole life as a pc gamer. mercie_blink.gif
Legimate customer is forced to install LOADS of crap on his/her's PC.
These are : social club + forced registration, games for windows + forced registration, securom drivers.
Also online-only activation method + limited installs (in some cases GTA FAQ. And disc has already to be inserted in drive, WHAT ??? dontgetit.gif
HELL NO. You guys saying R* is o.k. and EA not doesn't seem to know what you're saying sarcasm.gif
This is the mostly inconveniant installation I ever encountered.
Never buy it unless a better version comes up or it's on budget.
Bye R*, I thought you were cool, but you're not suicidal.gif

loczek47
  • loczek47

They call me "Random Funny Guy".

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

Guys , dunno how you , but I just can't f*cking believe that rockstar bought SecuROM for 200.000$ and pirate's break it after 1 day of PC release.

pokemon4ever
  • pokemon4ever

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

Funny ain't it.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (loczek47 @ Dec 20 2008, 20:22)
Guys , dunno how you , but I just can't f*cking believe that rockstar bought SecuROM for 200.000$ and pirate's break it after 1 day of PC release.

Well I think it was more closer too a week before they fully got the protection hacked and even to this day we are still getting idiots coming in going "duh my screen keeps shaking as if Niko is drunk und duh I can't reverse da car". So it did work to a certain extent obviously no protection is going to prevent stealing completely though.

At the end of the day this cycle is going to continue between gamers and developers till one side decides enough is enough. I often see gamers going "I download a game because I want to try it out on my PC before I waste $50" and you wonder why a developer isn't willing to release a game they spent millions on without some form of protection ? A gamer won't risk losing 50 bucks on a game he might like, but we expect a developer to spend millions on a game in the hope that people will buy it because it's a "good" game.

I personally don't like this protection, I could bore you with my conspiracy theory that it is an attempt by Sony to undermine the PC gaming market but I won't wink.gif . However at the end of the day till PC gamers stop stealing and start buying games in their droves again this is the status quo that we will have to put up with.

loczek47
  • loczek47

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yeah , I don't like this protection too. No , im not a pirate. I just like to play without DVD , im too lazy to insert it because I never know where is my DVD.

thastrogg
  • thastrogg

PC GAMER And A Strogg?

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

OMG WILL GTA IV USE SECUREROM?
i will not buy it!

loczek47
  • loczek47

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

It already does lol.

Darklord666
  • Darklord666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Dec 20 2008, 19:37)
However at the end of the day till PC gamers stop stealing and start buying games in their droves again this is the status quo that we will have to put up with.

Well, so the strategy of the major companies to blame the pc gamer ("US") for their numerous losses worked. They are trying to criminalize the user more and more and the user is falling to the status of a supplicant. That's NOT A STATUS QUO. yin-yang.gif

I'm also against piracy and I have no problem with having a dvd or 1 cd in the drive whilst playing. In the past I used cracks because I hate swapping discs for 1 game. Nowadays, the disc in drive keeps me from swapping games, so I can concentrate better on a single game smile.gif

But this kind of DRM policy is far out of bounds. It's a kind of terrorism against loyal customers. I can't tolerate it. mad.gif

BTW:the conspiracy theory is possibly true ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users