SecuROM will be used!

200 replies to this topic
free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (daxlax @ Nov 29 2008, 09:55)
Securom? oh no R* wow.gif . I as a PC gamer will have to prove I actually paid and own a game? Gee I wonder why that makes some of the guys in the community sweat and want to see it fail hmm?

You know why that is and I just want to say to those people you are NOT a PC gamer. Your a cancerous disease to us genuine community gamers it's because of YOU we have to jump through hoops like this in the first place.

When the publishers decide to fight back and use such security systems your the first to cry bullsh*t and claim your on a "great protest" for us the gamers..excuse me while I shed a tear for your bravery and Sacrifice <sniff>.

We know the truth is because you was always going to download it anyway. I know it and everyone else here knows it. Only person your trying to pretend to is yourself to say otherwise.

Lets not start a war battle again... thxs for your opinion but keep it to yourself, it only allows more arguements

NecroViolator
  • NecroViolator

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Those who BUY a DVD will have to have the DVD in their drive...

Those who BUY ONLINE do NOT need any DVD in their drive, they just unlock the game...

I really DONT see why they even bother putting any copy protection... Wasted time/money...

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:08 PM Edited by .:Alex:., 30 November 2008 - 11:04 AM.

QUOTE (vachon644 @ Nov 29 2008, 06:26)
SecuROM is anything that bad. Seriously, they used it for San Andreas. They may use it again! Who noticed SecuROM anyway!?

That version of SecuROM was much more relaxed than the newer, more obtrusive, versions. It's these newer versions that have caused a lot of controversy in the gaming community in recent months and years.

...they need to make as much profit as they can from it and if people pirate they have to try to hamper them for as long as possible.

Let me tell you now, Game companies WON"T reduce or remove copy protections if you keep pirating games because of it, because on they're side they are seeing the high piracy rate as justification for this aggressive DRM. And unless we the PC gamers can prove otherwise by buying the game and not pirating we will be stuck in this viscous cycle in which we the PC gamers will eventually lose.

The thing is, apart from rare situations such as the Spore incident, companies generally do not lose any money from piracy. Simply for the sole reason that people who pirate never intend to purchase the game in the first place, therefore equalling a null loss. There is a huge misconception about piracy, mostly caused by media conditioning.

And some companies are beginning to use much more relaxed and user friendly copy-protection, because they've realised how DRM is affecting their customers. I just wish that more companies would follow suit. DRM simply doesn't work and is completely ineffective in stopping piracy. It achieves nothing other than infuriating the gaming populace and punishing the legitimate consumer.

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

I buy me GTA IV for PC, then i play it with DVD till a No-DVD-Crack is released, because i getting mad of the rotating DVD sounds in my DVD-R-Drive.
I already have an Windows Live account and Account on Rockstar's Social Club smile.gif

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

I don't really care what security they use as I am buying my favourite all time game for my PC, I hope they make some harder,stronger security for it, but I doubt that will happen.

Soon enough they will find a way to wipe out the disease of piracy they have in the gaming industry, not completely but to a level when people will just buy the game instead of going through all the hasstles of a new secirity system, from what I hear on the grapevine there was a trial of a new system that completly locked down your OS if you tried to use pirated games, but it's all rumours and speculation.

-vilx-
  • -vilx-

F*** all the rest, IV is the best.

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

well ... i think that sooner or later everything gets cracked

Burtington
  • Burtington

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:36 AM

so, from what i have read, securom checks if the cd is in the computer while playing the game. The Steam version has code to allow the game to run without the cd. so my question is: why would the steam version need securom?

Frostshocker
  • Frostshocker

The winter GTA-man

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Burtington @ Nov 30 2008, 01:36)
so, from what i have read, securom checks if the cd is in the computer while playing the game. The Steam version has code to allow the game to run without the cd. so my question is: why would the steam version need securom?

for the online activations i guess?

For the digital download versions you can install the game on 5 different PCs at one time, and can always REVOKE a license from any of those machines at any time to allow more new installations on a total of 5 machines at any time.

longboardskier
  • longboardskier

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (free_to_view @ Nov 29 2008, 01:33)
QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 29 2008, 06:32)
What is secuROM?

SecuROM is used to stop users from copying and making multiable copies of the game. It also stops dampering of the game from its orginal source... (Well it suppost to tounge.gif )

QUOTE (longboardskier @ Nov 29 2008, 06:16)
I'm still getting it!  The only thing that could make me not get it is if they used Starforce.

It doesn't use Starforce for protection, they use SecuROM. Thats why everyone is talking about it lol.gif wink.gif

The Protection ROCKSTAR uses will be these

SecuROM v7 + SecuROM PA + Windows Live

NOTE: SecuROM PA are for users that need activation if you don't have internet connection or having problems activating your product...You still gonna need all the proper keys (sorry pirates devil.gif ) Source

I know it doesn't use Starforce. I was just saying that that would be the only reason I wouldn't get it, but since it doesn't there's no problems wink.gif

DOUDOU
  • DOUDOU

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (longboardskier @ Nov 30 2008, 01:46)
I know it doesn't use Starforce. I was just saying that that would be the only reason I wouldn't get it, but since it doesn't there's no problems wink.gif

everybody hates the last versions of securom for many things, some that starforce already did

why don't you like starforce?

mad1723
  • mad1723

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

I couldn't care less they use SecuRom... it's probably just an excuse for you guys to crack it anyway. It would have used no protection, you would have cracked it anyway. I don't care if it uses 20 protections, as long as I don't have to activate 20 times to make it work. If I have to activate it, fine! Register on GFWL? Good, I wanted to register for other games! Register on Rockstar Social Club? Nice, I wanted to upload my cool vids over there! I mean come on people, it's fair from companies to protect their games, since everybody's cracking and pirating it these days. They can ask for people a bit of protection to avoid them losing millions and never come back to the PC world!

They've done excellent efforts in putting better graphics, along with video editor and bigger multiplayer. What do you care if the game is more protected against piracy? confused.gif

extender
  • extender

W00t

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (mad1723 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:09)
I couldn't care less they use SecuRom... it's probably just an excuse for you guys to crack it anyway. It would have used no protection, you would have cracked it anyway. I don't care if it uses 20 protections, as long as I don't have to activate 20 times to make it work. If I have to activate it, fine! Register on GFWL? Good, I wanted to register for other games! Register on Rockstar Social Club? Nice, I wanted to upload my cool vids over there! I mean come on people, it's fair from companies to protect their games, since everybody's cracking and pirating it these days. They can ask for people a bit of protection to avoid them losing millions and never come back to the PC world!

They've done excellent efforts in putting better graphics, along with video editor and bigger multiplayer. What do you care if the game is more protected against piracy? confused.gif

Because some people from here are: a) People who don't have a job
b) minors and their parents wont buy this game for them

so that makes them to DL pirated/cracked version of the game.

Wezz6400
  • Wezz6400

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Burtington @ Nov 30 2008, 01:36)

Because if they don't crackers can compare the DL executable with the DVD executable and see the difference. That would make cracking the game even easier than it is now. That's also why demos also have copy protection, though there won't be one for GTA IV.

camdean
  • camdean

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (extender @ Nov 30 2008, 02:14)

They've done excellent efforts in putting better graphics, along with video editor and bigger multiplayer. What do you care if the game is more protected against piracy?  confused.gif

Bad excuses to be fair, get a job, save some money from christmas/birthdays, trade something in, we all had to do it at one point, the world just gets lazier these days, it's a joke ! icon13.gif

mad1723
  • mad1723

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:10 AM

Honestly, I've got my first job at 15, it's not a question of finding a job, you just need to give yourself the kick in the butt so you go get a job. I mean, the game is going to be cheaper than on consoles, as all the PC games are, and honestly, it's gonna be worth every penny, whatever the protection included on it biggrin.gif

mosxs
  • mosxs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

For me its all about the fact that Rockstar, Take Two, and other game, movie, and music companies try to tell me what I can or cannot do with things I purchase.

They use the ridiculous argument that you're buying a license to use the product and that they can enforce that license however they want and add restrictions.

Thats a load of crap.

I buy it, I own it, I can do whatever I want with it.

The only thing I CAN'T do is take Rockstar's name off of it and say that I developed and made the game and sell it as such. Thats what copyright law was originally intended for and should still be for.

immot
  • immot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

I will not buy GTA, I have the money but I'm really not into multiplayer gaming. It would take a hell of a lot of money if I would buy new game every time also putting in disc and taking it out is irritating.

Of course pirating is bad, bad, bad!!

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:07 AM Edited by .:Alex:., 30 November 2008 - 04:00 PM.

QUOTE (free_to_view @ Nov 29 2008, 09:33)
QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 29 2008, 06:32)
What is secuROM?

The Protection ROCKSTAR uses will be these

SecuROM v7 + SecuROM PA + Windows Live

NOTE: SecuROM PA are for users that need activation if you don't have internet connection or having problems activating your product...You still gonna need all the proper keys (sorry pirates devil.gif ) Source

Well seeing as pirate versions come without SecuROM and come with random key generators, this will have absolutely no effect in terms of preventing piracy. The only hard part of piracy is copying it in the first place, and the top experts can do that with absolute ease. The rest only punishes legitimate consumers.

I notice how Rockstar completely evaded the "rootkit" question. At the end of the day, SecuROM is malware. I don't want it anywhere near my computer. They can shove their video editor up their arse if they're going to be pulling stunts like this.

Watinho
  • Watinho

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Conclusion to this topic is:

Piracy cannot be stopped.
If something needs cracking, it'll get cracked sooner or later tounge.gif

Ron Taboga
  • Ron Taboga

Silent Sniper

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:23 PM Edited by Ron Taboga, 30 November 2008 - 07:47 PM.

QUOTE (Watinho @ Nov 30 2008, 12:29)
Conclusion to this topic is:

Piracy cannot be stopped.
If something needs cracking, it'll get cracked sooner or later tounge.gif

Yeah but as you see the developers still didnīt get that and they are still investing money and time into the impossible dream of the uncrackable copy protection. Big Laugh for those naive idiots at Rockstar biggrin.gif

Edit: I just read that the first Crack from Darkc0der ist available. Man...JUST STOP DEVELOPING MORE AND MORE SENSELESS STUPID COPY PROTECTIONS!!! A SIMPLE DVD-Check and a normal 1:1 copy protection is enough.

jmaster
  • jmaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

I for one am willing to pay for the game; but if i'm gonna dish out 60 bucks, i'de better be able to install it on my 2 pc's, laptop and when ever I reformat; also, they need to find a way to allow ppl to play without the disk... Cmon, 20GB of space used and still need a disc, who do they take us for? I also hope that trainers will work offline; I wanna finally see niko fall 5,000 feet from the air and survive! (Swingset)

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (jmaster @ Nov 30 2008, 16:26)
I for one am willing to pay for the game; but if i'm gonna dish out 60 bucks, i'de better be able to install it on my 2 pc's, laptop and when ever I reformat; also, they need to find a way to allow ppl to play without the disk... Cmon, 20GB of space used and still need a disc, who do they take us for? I also hope that trainers will work offline; I wanna finally see niko fall 5,000 feet from the air and survive! (Swingset)

Look it is very simple if you wanted to play the game without the disc then it is highly likely you would have got LIMITED activations and INSTALLS. This is how it has always been with the PC I really can't understand why people are bitching about it now.

It seems to me as if developers cannot win. If they produce a system whereby you can play the game without the disc but to protect themselves they limit the activations you guys bitch. If they do a system that has unlimited installs and activations but you have the minor irritation of having to have a cd check guess what you guys bitch.

If you want to play the game without the cd check there are plenty of legitimate download services that you can use to purchase the game from. I have decided to go retail this time around and probably by the end of this month I will purchase the game from steam as well for the convenience of having no CD in the drive.

I am beginning to think most people moaning here are just looking for any excuse to steal the game to be honest

NineTech
  • NineTech

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (extender @ Nov 30 2008, 02:14)

They've done excellent efforts in putting better graphics, along with video editor and bigger multiplayer. What do you care if the game is more protected against piracy?  confused.gif

I'm sure you are right to some degree, however, my perception is actually the opposite, I think most people that despise the DRM are more mature/older gamers with plenty of disposable income -- just take more considerations into account about where to spend it.

Many gamers that fall into that category like to have control over their software, in addition to hardware, and don't like to simply forfeit that control to combat something (the industry claim anyway) that, by most indications, is not very effective. Or these gamers are more meticulous about their machines and don't like having software such as SecureROM installed. I personally don't fall into the latter scenario, but it makes sense to me, everyone is different, some people are more "hands-on" with their machines and gaming rigs.

In addition, I think gamers that can forgo a title because of the contingencies it brings would seem to be an indication that they succumb less to hype and instant gratification (not saying people indifferent to the contingencies are incapable), there's nothing that's a *must have*, and patience can be used to wait for more acceptable conditions for purchase, or simply never playing the title.

Obviously, ages/incomes of all kinds will be on both sides of the fence, it's only a generalization based on my own perception, which is no better than anyone else's but just wanted to mention it to you anyway.

vachon644
  • vachon644

GTA Meister

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

I was wondering how does the "Revoke license" worked. I mean, if I install it on my computer and the computer breaks, how will I be able to revoke the license I used for it? Does revoking the licenses revokes all licenses for that given CD-Key?

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (vachon644 @ Nov 30 2008, 20:27)
I was wondering how does the "Revoke license" worked. I mean, if I install it on my computer and the computer breaks, how will I be able to revoke the license I used for it? Does revoking the licenses revokes all licenses for that given CD-Key?

Maybe the liense is linked to your e-mail account which you created for windows live...

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

AFAIK there aren't any "licenses". As long as you have a CD-Key, you can install the game even on 100 PCs if you want.

ThomasPL
  • ThomasPL

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys. I want to buy GTA IV but I have Alcohol 120% and Deamon Tools on my hard disk and I need these programs. One guy says me"if you have Deamon or Alcohol 120%, Securom will search them and game will don't start." Is this true?

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (ThomasPL @ Nov 30 2008, 21:34)
Hey guys. I want to buy GTA IV but I have Alcohol 120% and Deamon Tools on my hard disk and I need these programs. One guy says me"if you have Deamon or Alcohol 120%, Securom will search them and game will don't start." Is this true?

Sometimes they are detected, sometimes there not... GTA SA didn't detect my alcohol 120%. I hope my deamon tools isn't effected...

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (ThomasPL @ Nov 30 2008, 22:34)

If this is true... that's really sux.

vachon644
  • vachon644

GTA Meister

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Neon25 @ Nov 30 2008, 21:04)
AFAIK there aren't any "licenses". As long as you have a CD-Key, you can install the game even on 100 PCs if you want.

It have been said that with digital distribution (AKA Steam, Direct2Drive) there's a 5 computer limit. So uh...

Oh well, I'll buy, I have only one computer (that I will be playing it on) but all those restriction makes me uncomfortable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users