200 replies to this topic
CB3
  • CB3

Next Chris Paul

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

http://www.direct2dr...-Game)-Download

Other Requirements:
"Initial activiation require Internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Game for Windows LIVE and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register); software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Adobe Flash, DirectX, Microsoft .NET Framework, Games for Windows LIVE, and Internet Explorer."
or just look in the other requirements section

gta-man22
  • gta-man22

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

This is a NO-NO for me, Thanks Rockstar, Thanks you very much ph34r.gif
hope the steam vercion dont have this BS

CB3
  • CB3

Next Chris Paul

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

whats so bad about SecuROM?

Moustacheo
  • Moustacheo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, I haven't had any problems with SecuROM in the past. I have refused to buy any games that limit your installs, but this SecuROM isn't really much of an inconvenience.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:12 AM

hope the steam vercion dont have this BS

The steam/d2d versions are probably identical, save for any steam-specific code.
San Andreas had securom. It didn't stop a damn thing.

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

13+ is great news... although it should be 18+

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (TruXter @ Nov 26 2008, 18:15)
13+    is great news...  although it should be 18+

Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register)

The social club is for R* games in general, not just gta. The game itself still has a M rating (17+)

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

Bitch, i'm bout it bout it. Is you bout it bout it?

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (CB3 @ Nov 27 2008, 00:02)
Online play requires log-in to Game for Windows LIVE and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register)

lol nice to see R* enforce the mature rating for GTA IV sarcasm.gif

Is this only for the download version or does this security measure apply to the dvd version as well?

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (DexX @ Nov 27 2008, 00:17)
QUOTE (TruXter @ Nov 26 2008, 18:15)
13+    is great news...  although it should be 18+

Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register)

The social club is for R* games in general, not just gta. The game itself still has a M rating (17+)

Ehhh close enough lol.

That's funny, but weird.

Don't you have to be 18 to even access Grand Theft Auto's website ?
and the social club is on the Grand Theft Auto site ?

It doesn't matter. they will all put in an age saying they
were born january first 1970 anyway. lol

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Nov 27 2008, 10:19)
QUOTE (CB3 @ Nov 27 2008, 00:02)
Online play requires log-in to Game for Windows LIVE and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register)

lol nice to see R* enforce the mature rating for GTA IV sarcasm.gif

Midnight Club: Los Angeles uses the Social Club as well.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

SecuRom is fine, its Starforce that you need to run a mile from!

mupet0000
  • mupet0000

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

The only problem I can remember with SecuROM was that publishers were using it to limit installs. Starforce is the one to boycott as GTA3Freak said, rockstar aren't limiting the installs afaik.

xnicx
  • xnicx

From the depths of hell i climb, and the devil follows behind me

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

f*ck, my computer isnt connected to the net, nor will it be any time soon. sh*t.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

Just buy it, then download the crack. The fancy-pants-daffodil-daisy protection used by the dullards this time is only in place to stop casual copying. The crack will be out within days of release, so it's no big deal what f*cked up protection they try to use...unless said protection includes Sony-like spyware (Suckdickware) or equivalent.

Malik
  • Malik

IV

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 27 2008, 05:46)
Just buy it, then download the crack. The fancy-pants-daffodil-daisy protection used by the dullards this time is only in place to stop casual copying. The crack will be out within days of release, so it's no big deal what f*cked up protection they try to use...unless said protection includes Sony-like spyware (Suckdickware) or equivalent.

Yea but why would you do that if you bought it full price

rockstar games better luck next time perhaps but youre not screwing me over

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Malik @ Nov 27 2008, 18:59)
Yea but why would you do that if you bought it full price

rockstar games better luck next time perhaps but youre not screwing me over

I do it with all my games. It saves having to have the disc in the drive/internet running (whichever sh*t-for-brains idea they choose), while playing game.

I only buy so I can have the box, manual(s), official disc(s), and the right to say "I bought [such-and-such] game.". Rockstar doesn't deserve it, but that's why I buy.

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Nov 27 2008, 02:35)
SecuRom is fine, its Starforce that you need to run a mile from!

starforce, thats the worst one, SecuROM is the most common nower days

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:41 AM Edited by free_to_view, 27 November 2008 - 10:05 AM.

Other Requirements:
"Initial activiation require Internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Game for Windows LIVE and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register); software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Adobe Flash, DirectX, Microsoft .NET Framework, Games for Windows LIVE, and Internet Explorer."

I wonder why we have to logon to both games for windows live and rockstar social club. Isn't online play through games for windows live and if you want to, log into the social club to upload your videos???

FOUND IT monocle.gif

Edit: The Social Club is a member’s only website destination for leaderboards, stats, tournaments, ongoing special competitions, virtual events, soundtrack mp3 shopping and more for Rockstar titles – launched with the console releases of Grand Theft Auto IV and carrying on to support virtually all Rockstar releases to come. Simply register a membership account to link your game data, then compare and compete with your friends and millions of other connected players online.

How to Access:
As soon as you’ve purchased and played Grand Theft Auto IV, Midnight Club Los Angeles, or any other Rockstar title supported by the Social Club, you can gain entry into that game’s designated area of the website. You will need to make sure that you:

are logged in to www.rockstargames.com/socialclub with a registered and activated Social Club account
have your Social Club account linked with your PLAYSTATION®Network Sign-In ID, Xbox LIVE™ Gamertag, or Games for Windows LIVE™ Gamertag
have played a Rockstar Games Social Club supported videogame on a network-enabled console or PC that is signed in to PLAYSTATION®Network, Xbox or Games for Windows LIVE™ so that your gameplay data can be relayed to the Social Club servers
and meet the ESRB age requirements for the game

After these steps, the Social Club will automatically start displaying relevant data based on what you’ve done while playing the game (this can take up to 48 hours or more for game data to propagate, so please be patient).

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

I'm fine with SecuROM as long as there is no limit install system or cause any other problems to me, so far it has not(it's not even complaining about emulation softwares I have installed).

nikop
  • nikop

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (SynTerro @ Nov 27 2008, 10:02)
I'm fine with SecuROM as long as there is no limit install system or cause any other problems to me, so far it has not(it's not even complaining about emulation softwares I have installed).

Securom (no-cd version) has limited activations. And GTA4 uses it.
So there is change that it has limited number of activations, other wise it will be pointless.
There might be unlimited installs but only on X computers. I really hope that there will be revocation tool, so it wont cause any problems smile.gif

mortal_soldier
  • mortal_soldier

Hay guys!

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (nikop @ Nov 27 2008, 10:27)
So there is change that it has limited number of activations, other wise it will be pointless.
There might be unlimited installs but only on X computers. I really hope that there will be revocation tool, so it wont cause any problems smile.gif

SecoROM's original purpose is to prevent people from sharing the key/reselling the game. So far there has been no news about R* limiting the installs.

Besides, I would at least like to think they would have learned something from the Spore DRM fiasco.

Atticus_D
  • Atticus_D

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid post but I just want to find out about this whole install thing. So does it mean that we need the internet to install the game and that's all? I mean if I only want to play single player once it's installed I don't have to be on the net or anything? I'm just asking cause I don't have internet on my gaming PC and I have no idea how this internet installation thing works.
So is the net only required for installation? Because if I have to be on the net every time for single player its gonna suck?

Once again if it's a dumb question, apologies. icon14.gif

riahc4
  • riahc4

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Most of you need to shut the f*ck up because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

SecuROM simply does not allow you to copy a CD/DVD. The limit of installs is another tech imposed by the developer. SecuROM itself does not (can not) limit installs (SecuROM + extenstions that block 3 installs do).

Mike0
  • Mike0

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

No problem if it has securom. My PC is not fast enough anyway biggrin.gif

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

Nice i have all that tounge.gif but my question is do you have to use windows cd=key for gfwl? I don`t have that... my windows was installed when i bought the PC at a local Computer store.

P.S. SecuROM its a Anty-piracy program.

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:19 PM Edited by SynTerro, 27 November 2008 - 02:23 PM.

QUOTE (R.F. @ Nov 27 2008, 14:09)
Nice i have all that  tounge.gif  but my question is do you have to use windows cd=key for gfwl? I don`t have that... my windows was installed when i bought the PC at a local Computer store.

P.S. SecuROM its a Anty-piracy program.

No

That key will only be asked when you install windows and nowhere else.

P.S. SecuROM is a anti-piracy program, like all other anti piracy programs it does'nt prevent piracy at all.

There might be unlimited installs but only on X computers. I really hope that there will be revocation tool, so it wont cause any problems

SecuROM has the possibility of limited installs but it's up to the publisher/developer to activate it, and there are examples from TakeTwo recently they have released a game without activation limit that is SecuROM protected(Civ 4: Colonization) and a game without any DRM(Bully). So there is reasonable doubt that they will have activation limit.

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

sh*t!
The securom is a negative thing?
I dont know much abiut the securom.

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

SecuROM =/= limited installs.

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:35 PM Edited by R.F., 27 November 2008 - 02:38 PM.

QUOTE (GTA_XP @ Nov 27 2008, 14:29)
sh*t!
The securom is a negative thing?
I dont know much abiut the securom.

No, stop this madness ! securerom is just a anti piracy program! That means you cannot copy the dvd!

SecuROM =/= limited installs.

Thats not true, thats why is a "Login and play" game.
SecuROM is a anti-piracy program, like all other anti piracy programs it does'nt prevent piracy at all.

True but they try...

GTAMonkey2012
  • GTAMonkey2012

Hustler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:40 PM Edited by GTAMonkey2012, 27 November 2008 - 02:51 PM.

If this has limited installs I would think by now that info would be spread out fast and wide seeing as many people are aware of it with Spon etc. And R* would have killed that after watching whats happened with Spon, unless they are mental of course. And no, just becuase it uses securom doesn't instantly mean its limited either.

I have Crysis Warhead, it needs the net to install the procedure is this:

1. You install, you enter you CD key, it installs.
2. When you run the game the first thing it does is try to access internet, if you are connected and allow it 4 seconds or so it waits, then you load and enter the game just after a thankyou message from the security feature that uses the net. If you didn't have the net on at this point a message will show about this and the game doesn't start, basically its like its checking for the CD in the drive but instead it does this via the net as apposed to looking at the CD. This will happen until you allow it on the net that 1 initial time.

This happened once after its install, i've never been on the net in SP since then and it only needed that one single ping to the net after its install, and since then runs without net connection or (thankfully) use of the DVD in the drive.

So thats what the "need net connection to install" is revering too with GTA.

As you may have seen from reviews you use your mobile phone "at any time" in SP to take you into MP state ... so the idea is you would be online even in SP becuase at any time you can flip to MP mode with the phone. I guess they are trying to merge MP and SP into one seemless world so to speak. Rather than exiting to a menu to go to MP section etc. The idea I see is that MP is on the phone all the time through SP whenever you want to quickly flip to it .. and wherever.

Now the rub here is, if you simply dont login online, then run SP the big question is :

Have they coded it so it will need to be online no question, or have they been nice and have it so that if you are not online and are in SP you are allowed and if you never run MP its ok, but if you tried online at this point you just get a phone message "not online please connect". Thats the big question.

R* logic might be it is forced to be online in SP becuase if you have the net to install then you have the net for MP. I don't think that's good TBH and will piss allot off I would imagine, and only push the hackers to come up with a fix for it, then again they might be nice and its "optional if you requre to use the phone fo MP".

The Securom is nothing out of the ordinary and not much to piss and whine about it all fairness, as you know theres alteranative ways with it and isnt like starfo(a)rce .. as said thats the bitch of the bunch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users