Photo

Windows Vista issues

7 replies to this topic
gta3vista
  • gta3vista

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Hi there, I've been trying to find the answer(s) to my problem on this site and a few others, but nothing has worked.

I was having trouble playing GTA3, as the game would stop during loading and ask me to insert disc 2, even though it was there already. I deleted the SET file, re-installed, etc. as the guide on this forum suggested, but still had the same issue. I tried no-cd cracks but these didn't really do anything until I played around a bit more and found I could play, but I wouldn't get any audio, and the game would crash after a few minutes.

I found that while I had the SFX.RAW and SFX.SDT files in the GTA3\audio folder on my hdd, the game would ask me for disc 2 (which it won't recognise), and when they are gone, I can play for a few minutes only and with no audio. This is with a no-cd crack, but my copy is the original cd which I bought probably 3 years ago and has been hardly used. As I have stated, this was necessary as disc 2 won't even be picked up by the game.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

My system specs are as follows:

HP dv7-1002tx Notebook
Core 2 Duo T9400 (2.53 GHz)
4 GB RAM
2x250 GB HDDs
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Running Windows Vista

The laptop is less than a month old, and I've been having troubles for a little under a fortnight now. Should I just give up now?

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

Reinstall the game, copy the content from the CD2 audio folder and paste it into the AUdio folder of the game. Install the 1.1 patch and run the game (you will still need to insert the 2nd CD but the game won't use it). If you don't want to use CD2 use NoCD crack 1.1 (but don't forget to copy the audio folder).

gta3vista
  • gta3vista

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

I've tried this, but the problem still remains that the game won't recognise that there's a CD (CD2) in the drive. I'll have another go at it, but what you've told me to do was exactly what I did on my last attempt (and hence how I've gotten as far as I have).

Thanks for your help. I guess another time couldn't hurt.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

As I said - If you use a NoCD crack 1.1 (and you have copied all audio files to your hard drive before) you won't need any CD. Are you sure that you have tried this?

gta3vista
  • gta3vista

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

OK I've just tried this again, but it's still not working. These were my steps:

1. Uninstalled using the start menu link.
2. Restarted when prompted.
3. Deleted the Rockstar Games folder in C:\Program Files\ and the GTA3 User Files folder in Documents
4. Installed GTA3 again
5. Set all the security privileges in the Rockstar Games folder, subfolders and files to "Full control"
6. Copied the AUDIO folder from the CD into the \GTAIII\audio\ folder on my PC
7. Copied the NoCD crack 1.1 .exe file from the site in your signature and overwrote the existing gta3.exe

I then ran the game (Win 98/ME compatibility mode, ran as administrator, etc.) and after the opening video the game told me to "Please insert the Grand Theft Auto III - disc 2 into the drive or press ESC to cancel", despite the fact that disc 2 was ALREADY THERE ANYWAY.

When I tried again after taking disc 2 out and having another go, I got exactly the same result.

Any ideas?

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

Is there XP compatibility mode in Vista?

gta3vista
  • gta3vista

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

There is, and I have tried it, but nothing changed.

Strangely enough, the only way I could get the game to run past the insert disc 2 screen was by deleting the SFX.SDT and SFX.RAW files from the computer's audio folder. I can't figure out what makes that happen though.

Should I try emailing Take Two perhaps? I figure if it's a software thing, they'd be in a good position to help.

secrethelper
  • secrethelper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (gta3vista @ Thursday, Nov 27 2008, 08:52)
OK I've just tried this again, but it's still not working. These were my steps:

1. Uninstalled using the start menu link.
2. Restarted when prompted.
3. Deleted the Rockstar Games folder in C:\Program Files\ and the GTA3 User Files folder in Documents
4. Installed GTA3 again
5. Set all the security privileges in the Rockstar Games folder, subfolders and files to "Full control"
6. Copied the AUDIO folder from the CD into the \GTAIII\audio\ folder on my PC
7. Copied the NoCD crack 1.1 .exe file from the site in your signature and overwrote the existing gta3.exe

I then ran the game (Win 98/ME compatibility mode, ran as administrator, etc.) and after the opening video the game told me to "Please insert the Grand Theft Auto III - disc 2 into the drive or press ESC to cancel", despite the fact that disc 2 was ALREADY THERE ANYWAY.

When I tried again after taking disc 2 out and having another go, I got exactly the same result.

Any ideas?

just signed up to post this as I found it while looking for the same thing

the problem is your copying the AUDIO folder into the audio folder. you need to copy the AUDIO folder (and all files) from disc 2 into the ROOT of the program files dir

i.e. program files (x86)\rockstar games\gta 3\ (copy AUDIO folder and all files from disc 2 here)

choose yes if it asks you to overwrite anything, then use the MYTH 1.1 no CD patch smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users