Photo

PC Gamer Uk - Reviews GTA IV

73 replies to this topic
ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:48 AM

Ill pay someone to buy the magazine, scan the review, and e-mail me the scans. smile.gif

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Nov 21 2008, 00:08)
To me is it not a "Must Buy!" confused.gif
Wobbly framerates on 8800 card, wtf?

8800 series was a good, but it's hardly the best nowadays, welcome to the PC world.

Remember it recommends a quad core...

They always recommend the latest hardware, it's part of the business. Recommended specs usually mean that you can go through the game's heaviest and most intensive part with 0 frame loss and stutter, it doesn't mean lower specs couldn't handle the game to its full potential with smooth framerates.

Recommended usually also lists the hardware the game has been optimized for, apparently Rockstar decided to jump on the quad bandwagon, meaning if you have the luxury of owning a quad, the game knows how to use it instead of stressing just 2 cores or less.

Yeah, probably on a single 512 8800GTS with settings maxed out. Of course it going to have framerate wobbles.
And why oh f*cking why are people still saying it is a goddamned port when it is scratch made for us PC games. FFS, cut it out.

jesushumper
  • jesushumper

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:57 AM

I hate when reviews give hints at performacen without stating what hardware it ran on, or what resolution they ran it at.

"Dual-Core and 8800" isn't too specific. It could be a 8800gs or a 8800Ultra. Or any CPU from a first-line AMD or a Intel 8500.

Plus it makes me wonder if they actually ahd a frame counter or were just guessing. Sure, large variances are easy to see, but without hard figures, it's just fluff info.

They should use that forementioned benchmark tool so we can get more reliable figures. But maybe they didn't play a Gold version..

daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:48)
Ill pay someone to buy the magazine, scan the review, and e-mail me the scans. smile.gif

Honestly it's not worth it. My initial "oh my god GTA IV review!" excitement has died down, what I'm left with is alot of fluff with which you could of read many months ago online or in a console mag. I'm sorry to everybody for the lack of details I was basically reading the review for the first time as I was typing up key notes. In hindsight I would of titled this topic a bit differently and also included the fact Mr. Jim Rossignol review style stinks! *ahem*. I don't think any of us gamers at this point care about what gets shown on TV or how lifelike the litter in the alleyways is confused.gif

I just have to wonder if R* put in any "special stipulations" for such a review that lacks in this much detail...6 pages and about 5 of them is about characters,breathing city and the "fun" of shooting and bailing out cars. It's all fine details for a preview, but a review should have much more critical eye and approach.

the other details are tripe no quick save they say?..no really!! nervous.gif ...like all the other GTA's had this option lol.

mortal_soldier
  • mortal_soldier

Hay guys!

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (pinky @ Nov 21 2008, 08:56)
And why oh f*cking why are people still saying it is a goddamned port when it is scratch made for us PC games. FFS, cut it out.

It's not made from scratch, of course not. They use the same models and same map mesh they did on the console versions. All they're doing right now is compiling the engine to work with PCs, re-doing some of the code to work on PC hardware and polishing up the details.

Basically, they PORT the content on PC SDK and re-compile it with better visuals.

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Nov 21 2008, 10:10)
QUOTE (pinky @ Nov 21 2008, 08:56)

It's not made from scratch, of course not. They use the same models and same map mesh they did on the console versions. All they're doing right now is compiling the engine to work with PCs, re-doing some of the code to work on PC hardware and polishing up the details.

Basically, they PORT the content on PC SDK and re-compile it with better visuals.

Therefore it was made on PC, we are getting it on PC. So deosn't that make the console versions the ports?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (pinky @ Nov 21 2008, 12:03)
Therefore it was made on PC, we are getting it on PC. So deosn't that make the console versions the ports?

No.

The game was designed to work on consoles and to use those great resources few years old hardware has to offer. For instance, if the game is designed to read from a slow DVD or BD device, when you finally install it on the HDD it will not be that much faster and it will still be held back by consoles architecture (like SA and those stream fixing mods).

The mere fact those previewers (people who gave GTA IV on consoles a perfect score even though it had obvious issues) are saying it's a ground up build for the PC is not to be trusted. I'm not saying GTA IV port will suck (if you ask me not one previous GTA port sucked but it was obvious for every second spent in game those weren't PC games) and I hope it will look and play great, but not for one second I'm willing to believe anything R* has to say about it.

Most (if not all) PC games don't have many of the features GTA has - auto aim (yes, it can be turned off, but the gameplay still has to take it into account, thusly most of the previous GTA missions were to easy, simply because of the fact the developer had in mind a gamepad using gamer), watered down gameplay (less variety, less difficulty almost no thinking - as to cater for younger console gamers), cover system (again, you don't have to use it, but the gameplay still evolves around it), analogue controls and such.

In no possible way I consider this to be a proper PC game.

texan1985
  • texan1985

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

the other details are tripe no quick save they say?..no really!!

aww man! I hate constantly going back to the safe house. The console version had an auto save. Did it mention that feature?

Why can't we just hit f6 and it automatically saves to the closest safehouse. Oh well i'll still enjoy it.

amisnaru
  • amisnaru

Non-flying Finn

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

I'm sure there's autosave. (after mission completed, for example)

elanman
  • elanman

Misanthropic lycanthrope

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 02:08)
Does anyone have scans of this PC Gamer UK review???

What about dedicated server? I have a 40/40 line with a Dual Quad Intel server I want to use for GTA IV servers!!!

I've read the review, it's rather positive bar claims of the game being pretty laggy, even on an 8800GT and a Dual core confused.gif .

noid449
  • noid449

Englishman in The United States

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

the review in pc format issue 221 says " even on a geforce gtx 280 the game regularly dropped below 30 fps "

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (noid449 @ Nov 21 2008, 20:09)
the review in pc format issue 221 says " even on a geforce gtx 280 the game regularly dropped below 30 fps "

Lol wut? suicidal.gif

I smell something bad.

i_speel_good
  • i_speel_good

My nick's short is Speel.

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (noid449 @ Nov 21 2008, 23:09)

Bullsh*t. Recommended is 8600.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

I take it the magazine doesn't mention what resolution they played the game at ? I imagine if they had a GTX280 they were probably running it at least 1920 x 1200 for most of us mere mortals I don't think that will be too much of a problem since the majority of us will be using a res of 1680 x 1050 or lower. We will just have to wait and see.

0goldeneye0
  • 0goldeneye0

I'm Batman....

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (i_speel_good @ Nov 21 2008, 20:41)
the review in pc format  issue 221  says " even on a geforce gtx 280  the game regularly dropped below 30 fps "

Yea Im with you on that one. If the FPS on a GTX 280 drops below 30FPS this game is incomplete and shouldent be even reviewed or given out for testing. Im expecting to run it maxed with fair resolutions with my HD4850. suicidal.gif

noid449
  • noid449

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:04 PM Edited by noid449, 21 November 2008 - 09:13 PM.

lol the final summary says good points games best city yet .. riotous multiplayer ... bad points hideous drm .. CHUG_O_RAMA ... and no resolution details or what other kit was used :| talk about slate the game shhesh

it seems alot of mags and sites just say generic things so they are on the band wagon .. if they had something new or worth saying it would help this is lame -o-rama ... i want proper stats hardware info and some good reviews :|

nikoBELLIC4ever
  • nikoBELLIC4ever

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:48)

lol

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

It seems like Microsoft and Rockstar ought to get together so a single login does the job. Obviously they've got the Social Club and Xbox Live pretty seamlessly integrated so it's kind of strange they don't have things tidied up as well for the PC version.

Vasil
  • Vasil

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (jesushumper @ Nov 21 2008, 08:57)
I hate when reviews give hints at performacen without stating what hardware it ran on, or what resolution they ran it at.

"Dual-Core and 8800" isn't too specific. It could be a 8800gs or a 8800Ultra. Or any CPU from a first-line AMD or a Intel 8500.

Plus it makes me wonder if they actually ahd a frame counter or were just guessing. Sure, large variances are easy to see, but without hard figures, it's just fluff info.

They should use that forementioned benchmark tool so we can get more reliable figures. But maybe they didn't play a Gold version..

Thatīs it. Saying "dual core and 8800" is almost the same as saying absolutely nothing.

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

So wait, you have to log into Steam to load the game, then login to Social Club, and then GFWL? So 3 login's to play the game??

0goldeneye0
  • 0goldeneye0

I'm Batman....

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:39 AM Edited by 0goldeneye0, 22 November 2008 - 02:41 AM.

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 22 2008, 02:32)
So wait, you have to log into Steam to load the game, then login to Social Club, and then GFWL? So 3 login's to play the game??

if you buy it VIA Steam, which I'm not.

edit: also if you can have a auto login too, GFWL has a auto login, Steam has a auto login so that we know of all you have to do is log into R* Social Club

noid449
  • noid449

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

i was reading on gfwl that you can match the game like with xbox and play unlocking the social club etc i guess it just depends on what servers you want to play on im hoping not 3 logins

N.I.D.A.L
  • N.I.D.A.L

PC GAMER 4 LIFE

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:08 AM Edited by N.I.D.A.L, 22 November 2008 - 09:11 AM.

QUOTE (daxlax @ Nov 20 2008, 18:22)
:- Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card (don't know which ones sorry this is how it's written). It did have some major framerate wobbles "nothing fatal though" insists the reviewer.

cry.gif , are you saying it's not smooth in play unlike consoles version nervous.gif and it's lagg cryani.gif

skeeter780
  • skeeter780

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (i_speel_good @ Nov 21 2008, 20:41)
the review in pc format  issue 221  says " even on a geforce gtx 280  the game regularly dropped below 30 fps "

Minimum is what you need to run the game on low settings and low res. Recommended is what you need for decent performance at med settings and a modest res. Afaik Rockstar hasnt listed the reqs to max the game out. Most games don't.

Quanta
  • Quanta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

What about buying trough Steam? U still have to install Windows Live and stuff? I mean if u buy trough steam its impossible to pirate it.

TwwIX
  • TwwIX

MTA Veteran

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

This review has me a bit worried. The PC version of Bully was quite unoptimized and unpolished. Hopefully,we'll see a patch shortly after its release.

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

I hope GTA IV has dedicated servers so I can set a few servers up on a rented box. I can live with upgrading my PC to play at max settings, logging in 3 times to play, etc but no dedi's PLEASE NO!.!.!

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

I was just having a look on the Aussie PCPowerplay forums and the guy who is reviewing it for the magazine posted his initial installation and start up of the game which for lack of a better word was a shamble. Alot of mucking around, might be better if I just quote his post. Take note that the following talk of the game having major frame rate issues is fixed with a video driver update. Just thought I'd warn you in advance!
Here goes the epic vent/rant.

So, game arrives, I install, go do something else while I wait. When it's done, it tells me all these things about Windows Live IDs and gamertags and needing to link them. So I research this stuff, though I don't want to, and end up accidentally creating a Live ID account I didn't want, and a gamertag I did, but can't figure out how to link them. (I still can't).

Then I try to run the game. Error dialog. Ok... run launcher. Error dialog. Erm. That's not good. I try compatibility modes, closing all but essential programs, and no change so I make notes of the errors I'm getting and call Take2.

After hours. So all I got to do was leave a message on their answering machine. I send an email to a contact there listing the issues, hoping he'll check his work email at this time.

I decide to install on my XP machine, as my main runs Vista 64 and I figure that's the issue. Once the install is done, I can't play because the review key has already been activated. Grrr.

Searching around in the game folder I find a readme with a recommended program for XP x64. I figure what the hey, give it a whirl, to no effect. Upon my searches however, I find a key reclaim facility, so I use that, register the key again on XP and the game loads on that box.

Sweet!

Title sequence looking good, gets halfway through before crashing to desktop. Reload, and this time manages to get to the bit where I take control before crashing. Awesome. Third time's the charm. I skip the intro, having now seen it all, and start driving to first checkpoint. The game comes to a grinding halt when I face certain directions, but is OK when I'm looking elsewhere. But I make it to the first checkpoint. The checkpoint doesn't register.

So the game is now stuck in limbo, I'm in cutscene mode, unable to control anything, but the cutscene has not progressed and therefore I have to kill it, and start again. I manage to get to the checkpoint, progress through the scene and then I come to save.

Simple, press F. Only I can't do this without a Live ID. So I put in my Live ID, and buh-bow, can't find it. So I try my existing live ID. Nuh. I got back and check my emails - hadn't activated the new live ID, so after that's done, I try again. No dice.

Getting a little frustrated at this point (no way I'll be able to play this without saving) I create a new live ID from the in-game option. Turns out it's just a profile name, and that's all I need to continue playing. Hooray!

So out I go after my save, and the game crashes.

I try again, but crashes are frequent and slowdowns are horrible. I decide to call it a night, and go and play Left 4 Dead (Epic stuff Crappers), fearing I won't ever get to play.

Towards the end of the heroic L4D session (truly, Crappers is my hero) I get an SMS from the Rockstar contact saying the UK office has provided a fix for my Vista 64 problems, and to check my email. Finishing up the game (over five thousand zombies harmed during the making of), I check my email.

Apparently there was the incorrect version of some software installed, so after an unstall and reinstall of the right one, I was good to go.

Now I get horrible slowdown - around 2fps, and it's really unplayable. It takes tens of minutes to get simply to a destination, and I quit to see what I can do. I change graphics settings, draw distances, nothing seems to help

Latest graphics card drivers later, and it's running as smooth as a very smooth thing.

The guy's specs are Q6600, 3870x2, 4GB, for reference.

noid449
  • noid449

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

moral of this story seems to be ... have latest drivers installed have correct program files for your version of windows and have some xanax ready to hand

flyer2359
  • flyer2359

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:18 AM Edited by flyer2359, 23 November 2008 - 12:38 PM.

QUOTE (noid449 @ Nov 21 2008, 20:09)

WOW!!! the GTX280 is one of the fastest video cards out there and should be able to handle anything thrown at it because the card is still only 2.5months old even at a High Resolution FPS shouldn't dip below 30 or even be close I could see it barely dipping below 40ish but not below 30. Something don't smell good xD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users