» «
Photo

PC Gamer Uk - Reviews GTA IV

73 replies to this topic
daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:22 PM Edited by daxlax, 20 November 2008 - 06:25 PM.

Okay so I picked up a copy of the magazine today, GTA IV is reviewed in a luxurious 6 page spread. Obviously though due to copyright laws, material ownership and perhaps my own sanity I can't type it out page for page. I've decided then to skim through it and pick out pointers I think the community would like to know so here goes.

:- Keyboard and Mouse feels effortless to drive with there seems no issues with this combo in general (mouse obviously being brilliant to aim with).

:- Wall hugging bugs from console has made it to PC - When up against certain walls or cars you still sometimes can't always peak around to shoot which causes some frustration to the player.

:- Bizarre decision has been made regarding multiplayer - You need to log into Rockstar's Social club AND Windows Live to be be able to log into the game online.

:- Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card (don't know which ones sorry this is how it's written). It did have some major framerate wobbles "nothing fatal though" insists the reviewer.

Nothing mentioned of the improved graphics alot of this review is about the "experience" of playing the game in general. It does however rave how great the game is and now the part you been waiting for..what did it score?...

"The big red numbers at the end of this review reflects just how good GTA IV is.."

Scored : - 92% and also got the "MUST BUY" badge icon14.gif .

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for info. cookie.gif cookie.gif

But is it really all they wrote about PC version? What about the replay editor?

daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Sadly at the time of writing the review they said the replay editior option was not open to them to use and will have to save it for another time.

Obviously be pointless by that point we should all know how it works and looks like by then wink.gif

apos2008
  • apos2008

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

can u post screens ?

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

To me is it not a "Must Buy!" confused.gif
Wobbly framerates on 8800 card, wtf?

texan1985
  • texan1985

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Logging into so many things before actually playing can be really annoying. Can we log in to those websites and stay logged in? Or do we always have to go through that everytime?

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Its stupid to log always in!
I ainno use the internet on my laptop.
R* is getting lose their braincells.

longboardskier
  • longboardskier

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (GTA_XP @ Nov 20 2008, 18:37)

It's still a must buy for me. Remember that there are a lot of settings that you can tweak to get the optimal performance/pretty ratio.

texan1985
  • texan1985

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Daxlax,

Did they give pros and cons along with the review? Next to the score i mean.

PestilenceJM
  • PestilenceJM

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

About the login... those must-online-registrations like steam or GFWL are an act against software piracy. So you know who to thank.
I am sure that it will not be needed to login to both GFWL and Social Club each time, but only one of them and thereby it connects to the other aswell.
Also this way, its secured that more people actually BUY the game and not copy it from the web. So rockstar gets even richer smile.gif wich makes them creater a much better GTA 5 and further GTA's.

Ive got a dual core CPU, but my graphicscard is better than a 8800... i am sure i can play very good on medium graphics, and quite good on high aswell. Incase there is ultrahigh settings, i think my PC will not take it, 15-25 fps i guess. We will see...

free_to_view
  • free_to_view

GTA BOSS OF ALL BOSSES AND PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

You need to log into Rockstar's Social club AND Windows Live to be be able to log into the game online

Why do you need to log into both for???? Isn't it to play online you have to logon to Windows Live and thats it and if you want to share your videos, you can join the social club? Why Both....That is bizare

daxlax
  • daxlax

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (texan1985 @ Nov 20 2008, 19:36)
Daxlax,

Did they give pros and cons along with the review? Next to the score i mean.

Sadly not, they've got a pretty "quirky" system next to the score it goes like this..

It's >New York! New York! >Clothes and guns >Endless Driving

It's Not >Easily beaten >Easily rivalled >Unromantic

Okayyy..well the closing statement was simply "One of the finest videogames ever". I've re-looked through the review there's no points I'm missing sadly it does seem skimpy on detail. Alot of it like I say is based on the guy's experience in the city and Niko's backstory.

It seems apart from the multiplayer log-in issue which they themselves say is "totally unnecessary" and the framerates here and there..there's not much else that sticks out for them to notice I guess?

There is a caption in one of the pics I just noticed which reads "The city is spectacular and you can see the large buildings from miles away, which means you can navigate by major landmarks like these. It's simply amazing." I don't know if that's down to the increased draw distance though? it seems very vague having not played the console version myself to compare.

To the guy asking for scans I can't due to copyright and forum rules.

aidan87
  • aidan87

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (daxlax @ Nov 20 2008, 18:22)
Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card (don't know which ones sorry this is how it's written). It did have some major framerate wobbles "nothing fatal though" insists the reviewer.

Smells like a f*cking horrible port to me..

Doom6197
  • Doom6197

The DOOMSDAY Device

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

If this game does not have LAN I will die suicidal.gif

PestilenceJM
  • PestilenceJM

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

The viewdistance is setable. So if your PC sucks, youll not be able to taste the sweetness of high view distance.
I dont know if my PC can make it.

R.F.
  • R.F.

I <3 R*

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

:- Bizarre decision has been made regarding multiplayer - You need to log into Rockstar's Social club AND Windows Live to be be able to log into the game online.

:- Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card (don't know which ones sorry this is how it's written). It did have some major framerate wobbles "nothing fatal though" insists the reviewer.

I like the sound of that! No crackers here hehe devil.gif and i have just the specs to run with amazing looks tounge.gif

¤FireStyle¤
  • ¤FireStyle¤

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (R.F. @ Nov 20 2008, 20:29)

I like the sound of that! No crackers here hehe devil.gif and i have just the specs to run with amazing looks tounge.gif

I on the other hand do not like the sound of that.....

...but either way I can't wait to get my hands on this game !!

mupet0000
  • mupet0000

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (aidan87 @ Nov 20 2008, 19:53)
Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card (don't know which ones sorry this is how it's written). It did have some major framerate wobbles "nothing fatal though" insists the reviewer.

Smells like a f*cking horrible port to me..

Remember it recommends a quad core...

Rickzu
  • Rickzu

Hay guys!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

8800 series was a good, but it's hardly the best nowadays, welcome to the PC world.

They always recommend the latest hardware, it's part of the business. Recommended specs usually mean that you can go through the game's heaviest and most intensive part with 0 frame loss and stutter, it doesn't mean lower specs couldn't handle the game to its full potential with smooth framerates.

Recommended usually also lists the hardware the game has been optimized for, apparently Rockstar decided to jump on the quad bandwagon, meaning if you have the luxury of owning a quad, the game knows how to use it instead of stressing just 2 cores or less.

PestilenceJM
  • PestilenceJM

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Nov 20 2008, 23:08)

8800 series was a good, but it's hardly the best nowadays, welcome to the PC world.

They always recommend the latest hardware, it's part of the business. Recommended specs usually mean that you can go through the game's heaviest and most intensive part with 0 frame loss and stutter, it doesn't mean lower specs couldn't handle the game to its full potential with smooth framerates.

Recommended usually also lists the hardware the game has been optimized for, apparently Rockstar decided to jump on the quad bandwagon, meaning if you have the luxury of owning a quad, the game knows how to use it instead of stressing just 2 cores or less.

Also keep in mind that rockstar has to think about what the gamers think about the specs.
Will people buy the game if we tell them the specs are super high?
Will people think the graphic is teh sh*t when we say the specs are low?
Will parrents buy GTA 4 for their kids when we release it in december instead of november?

...keep that in mind, its business!!

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:08 AM

Does anyone have scans of this PC Gamer UK review???

What about dedicated server? I have a 40/40 line with a Dual Quad Intel server I want to use for GTA IV servers!!!

0goldeneye0
  • 0goldeneye0

I'm Batman....

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

Huh, I thought he was lieing but I think hes tellin the truth. Looked on there site found this.

user posted image

Its not listed under there review games but its on the front cover of there mag. Small Picture but its there, Reviews GTA IV, Call of Duty WaW, Red Alert 3
http://www.computera...ws.php?site=pcg

Good find.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 03:08)
Does anyone have scans of this PC Gamer UK review???

Scans are not allowed on this board, nor are links pointing to the scans, so please stop asking for them.

Oh and I don't mean you 0goldeneye0 that picture you put up is on their website so that is perfectly acceptable wink.gif .

Godfather_er
  • Godfather_er

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (PestilenceJM @ Nov 21 2008, 00:43)
QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Nov 20 2008, 23:08)

Also keep in mind that rockstar has to think about what the gamers think about the specs.
Will parrents buy GTA 4 for their kids when we release it in december instead of november?

well said icon14.gif icon14.gif

Rickzu
  • Rickzu

Hay guys!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (PestilenceJM @ Nov 21 2008, 00:43)

There's a lot more to it than the simple relationship between the gamer and the studio developing the games he plays. Big corporations pay big money to have their name and product on the specs/commercials, and Rockstar needs that money to both develop and market the game (and it all comes down to money these days).

Intel needs to get their processors out there as soon as possible to get the maximum profit, same with Nvidia/ATi/AMD etc. You can't sell the tires unless you can sell the car first, y'know.

In most cases it's all up to the publisher and not the creators. (Like Spore's DRM was EA's call, not Maxis's)

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (daxlax @ Nov 20 2008, 21:51)
It seems apart from the multiplayer log-in issue which they themselves say is "totally unnecessary" and the framerates here and there..there's not much else that sticks out for them to notice I guess?

Gosh, I like it how they manage to keep everything on low detail. Firstly previews handle only the god damn replay editor, then this reviews skimp on everything else. I mean, did this guy mention anything about the setting he was playing on? "Not a console port, we built it from ground up" my ass!

Also, thanks for your report.

ObsessedWithGTA4
  • ObsessedWithGTA4

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

If anyone from the UK is willing to buy the magazine with the review and mail it to me I can Pay them via PayPal and pay for 7-10 shipping plus some profit for yourself. Scans would be cool though although they are not allowed on this forum.

Rickzu
  • Rickzu

Hay guys!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:19)
If anyone from the UK is willing to buy the magazine with the review and mail it to me I can Pay them via PayPal and pay for 7-10 shipping plus some profit for yourself. Scans would be cool though although they are not allowed on this forum.

Hey, it's not illegal to scan the magazine and email the scans. You just can't post them online.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (ObsessedWithGTA4 @ Nov 21 2008, 10:19)

I understand you're obsessed, but just wait for 10 days and that's it. What do you care about some review?

Rickzu
  • Rickzu

Hay guys!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:44)
I understand you're obsessed, but just wait for 10 days and that's it. What do you care about some review?

Not to mention the time it takes to mail something from the UK to the US, he'll be reviewing the game himself 2-3 days after receiving his magazine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users