Quantcast

» «
Photo

Gta 4 will be on steam.

128 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you buying from Steam? (184 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you buying from Steam?

1. Yes (48 votes [26.97%])

Percentage of vote: 26.97%

2. No (95 votes [53.37%])

Percentage of vote: 53.37%

3. Undecided (35 votes [19.66%])

Percentage of vote: 19.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Nov 19 2008, 03:02)
That's not Steams fault, that's the publisher's fault for not updating the price. Steam merely sells at what ever price the publisher sets and has no control over the prices.

Well at the end of the day I am a consumer and I don't care whose fault it is wink.gif Steam really needs to buck up it's ideas if it wants to get anywhere. If they honestly think people are going to pay twice for a "virtual" copy then they are in for a shock.

Pricing isn't the only problem either, I got my fingers burnt with the late release of Crysis Warhead, I actually could have bought Warhead in the morning but Steam didn't allow the EU to download it till late on release day.

The cold hard fact is steam is allowing itself to be undercut and not just by a few quid here we are talking a pretty hefty margin. It is quite comical really when you think about it, if I buy a retail boxed copy from off the net it will be cheaper and I will be playing it quicker than I would with steam.

I don't mean to sound like I am bashing steam, the principle of the service is great I am a big fan of it, but they really need to buck up their ideas abit and using the excuse of "it isn't our fault it is the publishers" isn't good enough. So it is 99% likely I will be buying the game from play.com. I would rather pay £24.99 and get it the day it is released instead of paying £40 and getting it whenever the hell valve can be arsed to let us download the files.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (High @ Nov 19 2008, 09:08)
i have no idea what any of this means

It means you can download the game instead of going to a store and buying the DVD.
...also it means you'll have an adware on your PC : /

What like the ads at the top of this forum? There's nothing wrong adware the way Steam deals with it, big deal a banner or two when you start up the Steam client and that's it. You say it like ads come up in the middle of a game or something!

longboardskier
  • longboardskier

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 19 2008, 02:17)
QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Nov 19 2008, 03:02)
That's not Steams fault, that's the publisher's fault for not updating the price. Steam merely sells at what ever price the publisher sets and has no control over the prices.

Well at the end of the day I am a consumer and I don't care whose fault it is wink.gif Steam really needs to buck up it's ideas if it wants to get anywhere. If they honestly think people are going to pay twice for a "virtual" copy then they are in for a shock.

Pricing isn't the only problem either, I got my fingers burnt with the late release of Crysis Warhead, I actually could have bought Warhead in the morning but Steam didn't allow the EU to download it till late on release day.

The cold hard fact is steam is allowing itself to be undercut and not just by a few quid here we are talking a pretty hefty margin. It is quite comical really when you think about it, if I buy a retail boxed copy from off the net it will be cheaper and I will be playing it quicker than I would with steam.

I don't mean to sound like I am bashing steam, the principle of the service is great I am a big fan of it, but they really need to buck up their ideas abit and using the excuse of "it isn't our fault it is the publishers" isn't good enough. So it is 99% likely I will be buying the game from play.com. I would rather pay £24.99 and get it the day it is released instead of paying £40 and getting it whenever the hell valve can be arsed to let us download the files.

What about just preordering it at your local store (assuming you have one)and picking it up on release day? That's what I'm doing. Gamestop is conveniently located right on my way home from work (which I will probably be leaving at least a couple hours early...)

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

Erm I am not allowed near any game shops where I live mercie_blink.gif I have a tendency to swear and curse at the little sh*ts buying their crappy xbrick and PSblah games tounge.gif . I jest I jest nah it is just more handy for me to get it ordered online and have it delivered. I live a fair distance from town and never really go there (last time I went into the city centre was about 9 months ago). So having the postie drop the game through my letterbox is more convenient.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (longboardskier @ Nov 18 2008, 20:31)
What about just preordering it at your local store (assuming you have one)and picking it up on release day?  That's what I'm doing.  Gamestop is conveniently located right on my way home from work (which I will probably be leaving at least a couple hours early...)

icon14.gif
It's not that convenient for everyone, but the funny part is people who use online services, despite the fact they have game stores very close, or very convenient to them. I find it thoroughly amusing that i'll be walking to and from the store, probably stopping to eat as well, installing the game, and playing it, before some people finish downloading it. ahahahahaha.... lol.gif

And those of you who ordered it online, and are waiting for it in the mail/ups/fedex....hopefully it isn't late, eh?

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

Even though I don't have a system capable of running GTA IV (AMD Anthlon XP 2800+, Nvidia FX 5200, or my laptop with an AMD Anthlon X2 running at 2.0 GHz and a Nvidia 8200 M), I will buy it for several reasons.

1. I own every copy of GTA, on every platform, and I don't plan to break that tradition.

2. I will probably get a new computer soon, so this will be my first game on there.

3. I just want to rub it in my Uncle's face I have GTA IV on PC and he doesn't (can't afford it).

longboardskier
  • longboardskier

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 19 2008, 02:41)
Erm I am not allowed near any game shops where I live mercie_blink.gif I have a tendency to swear and curse at the little sh*ts buying their crappy xbrick and PSblah games tounge.gif . I jest I jest nah it is just more handy for me to get it ordered online and have it delivered. I live a fair distance from town and never really go there (last time I went into the city centre was about 9 months ago). So having the postie drop the game through my letterbox is more convenient.

Ah well fair enough lol.gif

Lucky you Dexx for being able to walk to it! Stopping for food though...I don't know man. I'm thinking food will come later, like much much later when I can't stand it anymore biggrin.gif

Powerpuff
  • Powerpuff

PC only

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:21 AM Edited by Powerpuff, 19 November 2008 - 07:26 AM.

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 19 2008, 02:17)
I would rather pay £24.99 and get it the day it is released instead of paying £40 and getting it whenever the hell valve can be arsed to let us download the files.

Charlie, for me it's cheaper to buy from Steam even with $60 because in Estonia i will have to pay at least $65 for new PC game.

Although i have gift-card from one shop for $100 and i'm planning to spend it for GTA IV tounge.gif

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

I certainly won't be buying it off Steam, we have had too many bad experiences together cryani.gif . Such as my Half Life 2... which doesn't work.... Or my Counter Strike Souce... which doesn't work. Plus it costs more to buy the virtual version on a program that irritates me than getting the actual physical copy, with manual and map etc.

Nemon
  • Nemon

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

Going to buy it off Steam anyway, having it available at my favourite shop at a fair price is enough for me.
Even a price close to $ 50 will be more reasonable than buing a physical copy at my local store. The $ vs NOK is now just about 1 to 7 (it was 1 to 5 earlier this year which led to a wave of cheap games), and buying a game at $ 50 equals two hours of work so the choice is easy.

Btw, downloading at 7-800 kbs it won't take that long.
Dinner,sex and a shower and I guess it's game time.

i_speel_good
  • i_speel_good

My nick's short is Speel.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

I saw many posts above me say "steam this, steam that". Wtf!? Steam is not a company, it's a digital distribution platform. Perhaps you mean Valve?

amisnaru
  • amisnaru

Non-flying Finn

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (i_speel_good @ Nov 19 2008, 12:55)
I saw many posts above me say "steam this, steam that". Wtf!? Steam is not a company, it's a digital distribution platform. Perhaps you mean Valve?

You can't really say "Valve" either, 'cause they don't get to decide anything about the game.

RedEnd
  • RedEnd

PC Gaming FTW

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (texan1985 @ Nov 18 2008, 18:35)
I bet the install time is going to be huge. It took me an entire day to install half life 2. but it sure is easier than trying to hunt it down at your local store.

this is why i prefer buying a CD
i once got the original Half Life from steam and it didnt felt i bought a game.. i felt i payed for a download link..
so there will be some CDs edition that will require steam? im gonna get 'em
steam is fully usefull.. in game chat is CRITICAL advantage over the Games For Windows that could give you Live Messenger inside the game or something

texan1985
  • texan1985

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (RedEnd @ Nov 19 2008, 15:06)
QUOTE (texan1985 @ Nov 18 2008, 18:35)
I bet the install time is going to be huge. It took me an entire day to install half life 2. but it sure is easier than trying to hunt it down at your local store.

this is why i prefer buying a CD
i once got the original Half Life from steam and it didnt felt i bought a game.. i felt i payed for a download link..
so there will be some CDs edition that will require steam? im gonna get 'em
steam is fully usefull.. in game chat is CRITICAL advantage over the Games For Windows that could give you Live Messenger inside the game or something

I also have a fear of losing my account to some hacker, and losing access to my games that ive bought. That's why i'm very nice to everyone when i play through steam lol.

UltimateGTR
  • UltimateGTR

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

That means GTA4 PC will not in Games for Windows?

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

What the hell is a steam??

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

To some people getting the game via steam will be the ideal fit, to others it will be less than ideal. However it is always good to give people options. The more Rockstar tries to cater for the unique platform that is the PC the better in my view.

I personally would like to buy it from steam, the mere idea of having to have the disc in my dvd drive fills me with dread. Plus when I get my duo2core working it will mean I have to swap the dvd from the quad to the duo constantly whereas with steam I could just copy the files from the quad to the duo and have it on both machines.

So at the moment I am sort of still on the fence, I will wait and see what the pricing structure is for the steam version. If it is competitive then I might just go with the steam version.

Steam is a digital distribution service that gives PC gamers the ability to download full versions of the latest games over the net legally. You can find out more information here :-

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

So that means i can use my credit card and buy the game off the net. Right? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

ps3 AND pc version...pc version for MP

oh yes!!

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 19 2008, 16:50)
So that means i can use my credit card and buy the game off the net. Right? biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif

ps3 AND pc version...pc version for MP

oh yes!!

Yep you setup an account with steam all the games you buy will be linked to that account so you can install the steam client on any PC and have the games on that PC and as long as you are signed into your account you can play them (don't worry there is an offline mode as well so you don't need to be signed into the net to play them).

The version of the game you download from steam is 99.9% exactly the same as the version you would buy in the shops. The only difference is there is no cd check and a lil bit of extra coding to make it work properly with steam. This does have the disadvantage that you MUST get your game updates from steam, rather than from GFWL.

I know I come across as a bit of a negative ninny with steam but aside from the pricing issues and their lax attitude to release schedules I actually do like steam a lot and it is incredibly tempting to buy GTA 4 from them, even at an inflated price.

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

Shame that my pc is sh*te and can only go to mininum requirements of the damn game..

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

This is awesome! Though I'll probably still buy it in store, just incase the Steam version is unmodifiable.

Nemon
  • Nemon

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 19 2008, 15:45)

Steam is nothing, just walk away...

(Btw, http://www.gtaforums...entry1058015680, scroll down to my post, plus the post two steps above it... nice to see a photoshopped version of the alien hip smile.gif )

DOUDOU
  • DOUDOU

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Neon25 @ Nov 18 2008, 23:11)
QUOTE (High @ Nov 18 2008, 23:09)
Adware? Hmm...How would you get adware if you only install Steam and the game? Oh yes that's right, your one of the people who think Steam is evil...mainly because you can't pirate games if they are on Steam.

when you get ads pop up on your screen it means you have an adware, either you're completely clueless or you don't have steam.

The pop ups only appear when you start Steam, and it is usually either an offer from Steam shop or some free addons/patches.

wow, i finally found why people are thinking steam is evil, and add evil adware pop-up to their pc

so you think it's an adware because of the news pop-up?

why are people so ****

just uncheck notification in setting > interface

noid449
  • noid449

Englishman in The United States

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

biggrin.gif if some one said hey theres an offical beta or hey theres a download for a demo of gta iv here would people click it ......oh what about if it had adware on it or a simple pop up .......ohhhhhhhhhh nm just a thought !!

i_speel_good
  • i_speel_good

My nick's short is Speel.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Ottae @ Nov 19 2008, 19:40)
This is awesome! Though I'll probably still buy it in store, just incase the Steam version is unmodifiable.

Why does everyone think that steam = no mods? You couldn't mod San Andreas because it was version 2 or 3 on steam, not something else.

OliG
  • OliG

Joke Cunkie

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

Steam sound cool and all, but will I be able to buy GTA IV on disc, as per usual, and then play via steam, or will I have to download from steam store?
Plus, if I play via steam, can I still play on windows live if I want? Can I swap over?

Thanks!

Born Acorn
  • Born Acorn

Works in the Noodle mine.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Adware popups? On Steam? They're official Valve updates, they only really appear when starting Steam and leaving a Steam game, AND they can be turned off via Settings.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (OliG @ Nov 20 2008, 08:40)
Steam sound cool and all, but will I be able to buy GTA IV on disc, as per usual, and then play via steam, or will I have to download from steam store?
Plus, if I play via steam, can I still play on windows live if I want? Can I swap over?

Thanks!

If you buy the disc version it will have nothing to do with Steam, its only if you buy the online Steam version that you'll get Steam functionality. I am not certain on how Steam and GFWL will work together though. Anyway I'll merge this with the Steam topic.

Malik
  • Malik

IV

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (vaudevillian @ Nov 18 2008, 18:46)
QUOTE (Vasil @ Nov 18 2008, 18:41)
Well that´s bad news for me...Internet connection needed everytime u run the game?.

with steam you can create an iso and instal it without steam.

This now leaves me to believe. That the private servers will be hosted throught steam and the direct connect smaller multiplayer games will be through windows live.

I might be wrong on that.

Still no offical news on the multiplayer yet. Maybe the 32 player limit is through live and a larger limit will be for private servers through steam. Which would be awsome.

First thing to do bug phpnuke creators to make modules for clan sites biggrin.gif

Hm you might have a point there cause of steam just recently being cracked now pirates are playing games trough steam for free sad.gif

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

I already got Steam so this is good news.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users