Red Ring

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic
ItsMarke
  • ItsMarke

Gamertag - MaGikMarkEr36

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yesterday night while playing GTA my Xbox suddenly froze. I restart it and I look in horror as I see 3 red flashing lights. I turn it back off and realize that I had left my GTA in the tray so I start it back up and the disc tray is jammed.
What can I do to get it fixed?
It is an Xbox360 elite and I have not even had it for a Year (I got it for Christmas last year) I only play it on the weekends so don't tell me that I play it to much and that is why its broken.

This is an example of why the Xbox crap.

If you have suffered from the red ring of death please tell me what I should do. I do not want to get a PS3 because I have put a lot of money into this console and I will be very disappointed if there is nothing I can do about it.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

I suggest, for starters to unplug the console and plug it back in. Most of the time it is because your powercord may have slipped out.

If that doesn't work, I suggest giving MS a call and telling them the problem. You can ship it back and they should replace it. And get your disc out of course. I'm pretty sure replacement is free if it is still under warranty.

Where was your Xbox placed? Was it in a well ventilated area? Or a confined space?

MyStIcAL_623
  • MyStIcAL_623

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:59 PM

oh well, time to go outside.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

Only thing i can think of to retrieve your disk is to remove the front faceplate off the system, and then remove the eject button on the cd tray... if i remember correctly this gives you access to a small cog gear located on the front of the dvd drive itself. Use a toothpick or safety pin to move the cog to the left... this will slowly move the disc tray open. I had to do this a couple years ago.

ItsMarke
  • ItsMarke

Gamertag - MaGikMarkEr36

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Nov 15 2008, 21:58)
I suggest, for starters to unplug the console and plug it back in. Most of the time it is because your powercord may have slipped out.

If that doesn't work, I suggest giving MS a call and telling them the problem. You can ship it back and they should replace it. And get your disc out of course. I'm pretty sure replacement is free if it is still under warranty.

Where was your Xbox placed? Was it in a well ventilated area? Or a confined space?

I already unpluged it and pluged it back in. Didnt work.

Its in a well venilated area. Its also near the AC. Could this have of affected it?

Do you think its still under warranty?

Dear x Sergio
  • Dear x Sergio

︻╦╤─ ٩๏̯͡๏

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

shoot some hoops

Seriously though MS does a pretty good job at repairing/replacing your console and it's free if it's still under warranty. Call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and set up a repair order. I've done it twice, once it took about 10 days after shipping, and the other took about 13 days.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (ItsMarke @ Nov 15 2008, 22:04)
QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Nov 15 2008, 21:58)

I already unpluged it and pluged it back in. Didnt work.

Its in a well venilated area. Its also near the AC. Could this have of affected it?

Do you think its still under warranty?

Well, since its not even a year old yet. I would have to say it most likely is. You can check the papers and stuff that came when you got your Xbox. I, personally have a 3 year warranty in New Zealand I'm pretty sure.

But I'd give MS a call, and see what they can do.

ItsMarke
  • ItsMarke

Gamertag - MaGikMarkEr36

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Is it possible for dust to have caused it?

Ottae
  • Ottae

Zoom-Zoom

• Zaibatsu
  • Niue
  • Best Official Gang 2015 [Zaibatsu]

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

Mine RRoD'd last week. I detached everything including HDD, went on the Xbox website and sorted out a free repair through Support. I boxed it up and sent it off on Monday.

WelcomeToLibertyCity
  • WelcomeToLibertyCity

City of Angels

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

Before I got my Xbox I made sure that I knew as much I could about preventing the rings of death. Somethings that cause them are, damage (obviously), being inbetween 2 objects (example a tv and a wall), power brick not elevated off the floor (set it somewheres that its not on your carpet or hard wood flooring), over heating, or not using the controller to shut the console off. Theres lots more but some I can't remember. For your case I suggest giving Microsoft a call. If you've had it less then a year, it will be replaced or fixed for free. icon14.gif

joe_bevis
  • joe_bevis

DLB-Network.com

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

seriously i can't beleive people put up with this

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Well I haven't had a rrod but I also have an xbox 360 elite, and got it at the same time as you. I probably play more than you, so there must be something different.
Do you use the cooler pack thing that has the three fans, cause I heard that makes it worse.

I don't know whats wrong with yours man, but let's hope you get it back soon.

(I have had the slipped out powercord before)

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

I got RROD on my 360 elite, I called microsoft from the console manual, then sent it off and got a new Console within 2 weeks and a free month gold membership.

If your's is younger than a year I think you should have a warrantee on it, so give them a call and sort it out.

ItsMarke
  • ItsMarke

Gamertag - MaGikMarkEr36

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:28 PM

I called MS
They told me to send it back but I have a PO BOX and there system will not accept PO BOX adresses.

RATEDR307
  • RATEDR307

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Look on the bright side, when you get your Xbox back you get get a free month of gold.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

Sux to be you, homie...but it also SUCKS to be me at the moment, I have no job prospect and no future income!
I would recommend you look at some of those online tutorials for heatsink replacement, retrofit style. I think the video was on YouTube, as it's been some time since I saw it. Look there...

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (joe_bevis @ Nov 15 2008, 22:42)

I agree!
But loads of people think its fine to have to send their console into repair every few months *shruggs*

What will happen next gen if ms think
"oh they were stupid enough before, Lets make more more money off these mugs and win console wars by idiots replacing faulty consoles ( tounge.gif )".

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (xrk @ Nov 16 2008, 00:49)

I agree!
But loads of people think its fine to have to send their console into repair every few months *shruggs*

"oh they were stupid enough before, Lets make more more money off these mugs and win console wars by idiots replacing faulty consoles ( tounge.gif )".

But they aren't making more money of us if they are repairing it for free. colgate.gif

CJ_4_LIFE
  • CJ_4_LIFE

Once upon a time there was a tavern.......

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

All I can say is,,, you should get a ps3 mate, muhahahaha

BioVirus
  • BioVirus

The Godfather

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:24 AM

XBOX 360 > PS3

Microsoft gives you 3 years warranty. Send it in and they will fix it or send you a new one.
You probably bought a 360 at a store that still had leftovers from launch that came with the RROD problem. New 360's don't have it anymore.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Nov 16 2008, 01:11)

I agree!

But they aren't making more money of us if they are repairing it for free. colgate.gif

Correct-o-mundo
They are losing money and regretfully so, but that does not give one license to say ^ "Xb360>PS3"

You're an idiot, sir.

Playstation is not a lesser machine compared to Xbox360, it's DIFFERENT!

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (ItsMarke @ Nov 15 2008, 23:28)
I called MS
They told me to send it back but I have a PO BOX and there system will not accept PO BOX adresses.

Can you get them to send it to a relative or friend????

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (ItsMarke @ Nov 15 2008, 21:53)
Yesterday night while playing GTA my Xbox suddenly froze. I restart it and I look in horror as I see 3 red flashing lights. I turn it back off and realize that I had left my GTA in the tray so I start it back up and the disc tray is jammed.
What can I do to get it fixed?
It is an Xbox360 elite and I have not even had it for a Year (I got it for Christmas last year) I only play it on the weekends so don't tell me that I play it to much and that is why its broken.

This is an example of why the Xbox crap.

If you have suffered from the red ring of death please tell me what I should do. I do not want to get a PS3 because I have put a lot of money into this console and I will be very disappointed if there is nothing I can do about it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT OPEN UP YOUR 360!!!! Doing so will void your warranty, and then you will really be f*cked. They take that stuff serious... Just give those Microsoft bastards a call.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

If Microsoft won't take P.O. Boxes, just give them the mail address of a friend of yours with a home mail. And if they still won't fix it for you tell them to fork themselves. Then, look up a fix on google or something... I feel your pain (kinda). My buddy got the 3 LED lights, but MS wouldn't fix it (for free) because he had opened up the 360... Now he's a "happy" owner of a PS3. suicidal.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:07 AM Edited by Slamman, 16 November 2008 - 05:12 AM.

....I wish I had a dollar for every post about the 3 rings of doom, I'd be set for the rent, I suspect tounge2.gif

...Seriously, if you are not concerned about a warrenty, more then a few have corrected a problem related by updating the heat sink, it requires you follow the video example of one in particular so you know the component order. If I can take a laptop apart and get it back up and running, it's entirely possible.

It's not like a PS2, those are a freakin nightmare to disassemble!!

smeagol
  • smeagol

Razmataz

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

its probably over heating. putting it in cramped spaces, on carpet or sideways can cause over heating.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

Do keep in mind, the person building these with new heat sinks says that his experience with regard to success is over 50 percent but not 100 percent. That means some effort and perhaps cost in a heatsink repair for a red-lighting system does not mean it WILL work for sure.

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Nov 16 2008, 01:11)

I agree!

I meant by making it look like they have sold more consoles by including the replcements in their numbers.. was only joking anyway nm.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

This forum is for GTAIV only.
Not xbox chat.
We have an official thread over in gaming chat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users