» «
Photo

GTA2 vs. GTA:CW

37 replies to this topic
Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:48 PM Edited by Guanxi, 12 December 2008 - 07:14 PM.

user posted image

user posted image

I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I think GTA2 looks slightly more "impressive". That's erm... disappointing.

Edit: This is a much better comparison shot, thanx.

Swiechu
  • Swiechu

Slavic Gun Nut

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

You have to bear in mind, that screenshot (of CW) is a sh*tty quality one.

completeidiot23
  • completeidiot23

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

and that the screenshot of GTa2 doesn't look like the PC one or even the PS one. I think it's the Dreamcast version?

WingedWarrior
  • WingedWarrior

• Members

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

Isn't that a spoof image of GTA2? dozingoff.gif

CarpetDweller
  • CarpetDweller

The steak is a lie

• The Connection

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Bear in mind that, as well as the CW shot being a scan of an image in a magazine rather than a direct screen shot, it is being shown here at almost double the size we would see it in-game. The GTA2 shot is being shown at about half the size it is designed to be seen at.

The look of CW is deliberately designed to be best suited for the DS, or as Dan Houser put it in Edge magazine (Nov 2008) "It's cutting your cloth to match the body you can put it on..."

GTA:CTW doesn't appear to have lighting or 3d objects. I'm really struggling to see the point of this game.

I'm hoping the point of this game isn't just to improve graphics. I pretty sure the point is to tell a new story on a new format. To attract new players and to learn how to make DS games using a genre they are familar with.

I'm no expert, but the objects look 3D to me and there is some form of lighting.

At this stage it could be worse than GTA2 or it could be the best DS game ever. It will be the gameplay, not the graphics that my decision is based on.

J Hater
  • J Hater

Crows

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hey if you don't like it i'm sure you won't buy it! And please don't compare the 2 because CW will be ten times more complex than GTA 2. I trust the peeps at R* will do a GREAT job with this game and im looking forward to playing this game at work tounge.gif

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Guanxi @ Nov 14 2008, 03:48)
Edit: GTA:CTW doesn't appear to have lighting or 3d objects. I'm really struggling to see the point of this game.

It actually is full 3d. And it probably has lighting, but how are we meant to know yet? All we have is a little bit of info and some magazine scans.

kerouac.
  • kerouac.

exterminate all rational thought.

• Members

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

Definitely is some subtle lighting effects (street lamps casting a spot, headlights glaring on the street).

Also it has a day to night cycle so the landscape will change as you play.

I remember when the GTA SA scans were released on the net years ago, they looked like sh*t as well and people were complaining. Give it time and wait till proper screens are released by rockstar.

William.
  • William.

Rat

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:53 AM

CTW doesn't even have an actual screen like the GTA 2 pic you showed. When CTW comes out, then comparing with the same type of pic would be better.

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:57 PM Edited by Vicehog, 03 December 2008 - 02:59 PM.

QUOTE (Guanxi @ Nov 13 2008, 11:48)
user posted image

user posted image

I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I think GTA2 looks slightly more "impressive". That's erm... disappointing.

Edit: GTA:CTW doesn't appear to have lighting or 3d objects. I'm really struggling to see the point of this game.

The GTA 2 image you have posted looks modded, which isn't a proper image of GTA 2. I've never seen the respect meters like that before.

----

GTA 2:

PC:
user posted image

Playstation version, noticeably reduced graphics:
user posted image

PC:
user posted image

PC:
user posted image

PC:
user posted image

The reason I posted a bit more PC pictures is because the version on the PC is the original of the game. China Town wars doesn't have many good pictures out. So, I didn't post any.

GTA 2 is by far my favorite GTA. It has a crazy, futuristic, and more original feel over all of the other GTAs.

DeadByDagger
  • DeadByDagger

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

Keep in mind that Chinatown Wars uses 3D objects... GTA2 doesn't. The DS is very capable of reproducing GTA2's graphics. I, personally, like the CW graphics. They look nice to me, and I'll definitely have this on day 1.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (DeadByDagger @ Dec 4 2008, 10:51)
Keep in mind that Chinatown Wars uses 3D objects... GTA2 doesn't. The DS is very capable of reproducing GTA2's graphics. I, personally, like the CW graphics. They look nice to me, and I'll definitely have this on day 1.

The city in gta2 is 3d...

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

The city in gta2 is 3d...

Yes, and as far as I know, the cars and peds and what not are sprites.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Vicehog @ Dec 3 2008, 14:57)
GTA 2 is by far my favorite GTA. It has a crazy, futuristic, and more original feel over all of the other GTAs.

The pre 3D games look yuck!!!! Why is the OP even comparing the two? Chinatown Wars should be compared with Vice City Stories.

I'm looking at those screens and I can't even figure out what the heck is going on. I can't tell who is the good guy or what vehicle is being used by the user or what the meters stand for. Man I am so glad they went to the GTA 3 version of gameplay!!!

This thread is a ploy to say Chinatown Wars is a top down game, but everyone knows that it isn't.

Again why all the hate? Both blatant & subliminal....Why not compare Chinatown Wars with GTA IV? They both using the same map. Lets just wait and play the game when it comes out. No need in taking shots at a game that is not even released yet.

Again I am so happy Rockstar changed their style of gaming.

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
The pre 3D games look yuck!!!! Why is the OP even comparing the two?

The original poster is comparing the two because they are similar visually.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Chinatown Wars should be compared with Vice City Stories.

If we compared those two, we'd know who would win. I mean, think about it, a cheap throw off game for a Nintendo product or a game that uses the same engine as GTA 3. I have respect for Chinatown Wars, but I won't be buying it. I think it was stupid to attempt at making a GTA for the DS in the first place.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
I'm looking at those screens and I can't even figure out what the heck is going on. I can't tell who is the good guy or what vehicle is being used by the user or what the meters stand for. Man I am so glad they went to the GTA 3 version of gameplay!!!

You don't know what's going on because you obviously haven't played GTA 2. Therefore, criticizing the game's gameplay would be pointless since you haven't even played it.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Again why all the hate? Both blatant & subliminal....Why not compare Chinatown Wars with GTA IV?

There is no hate in this thread, just people stating their opinions on screen shots of two visually similar games. And, comparing Chinatown Wars to GTA IV? How do you expect anyone to do that with the fact that Chinatown Wars isn't even released yet? The point of this topic is to compare them visually, and Chinatown Wars and IV aren't in anyway comparable visually.

DeadByDagger
  • DeadByDagger

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

VCS didn't use the GTAIII engine. >_> It used the LCS engine, which was a brand new engine developed by Rockstar because they couldn't use Renderware anymore due to EA now owning the rights to it.

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (DeadByDagger @ Dec 5 2008, 22:43)
VCS didn't use the GTAIII engine. >_> It used the LCS engine, which was a brand new engine developed by Rockstar because they couldn't use Renderware anymore due to EA now owning the rights to it.

Ah, okay, thanks for that bit of information, but that doesn't change my point.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (Vicehog @ Dec 6 2008, 04:32)
If we compared those two, we'd know who would win. I mean, think about it, a cheap throw off game for a Nintendo product or a game that uses the same engine as GTA 3. I have respect for Chinatown Wars, but I won't be buying it. I think it was stupid to attempt at making a GTA for the DS in the first place.

Right....and the OP hasn't played CTW either yet he is comparing them. They visually look NOTHING alike.

Chinatown Wars should be compared to Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories, dude check the 1up interview the Rockstar Leeds rep even says so. Plus all 3 games were produced by Rockstar Leeds. I seriously doubt its comparison of visuals. Its a lame attempt to say "see its top down DS can't do 3D wa wa wa"

Look PSP fanboy, I am an owner of a psp also, but I am not upset that DS fans get to finally enjoy a GTA game. That is why this forum is here, for people that enjoy GTA, everyone of the proper age should be able to check em out. There is stuff that is going to be in CTW that they couldn't even put in LCS or VCS.

Lets compare apples to a used maxi pad!!! "Look everyone they are both red so they taste the same" Um... ok bucko...if you say so.

Rockstar knows what they are doing. If not for Chinatown Wars I wouldn't even be into GTA. LCS was ok, VSC is really good, CTW is the next portable installment so I'll check it out. Be opened minded and do the same. You know its only gonna be 20-25 bucks for the purchase. Give it a shot and stop hating.

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:02 AM Edited by Vicehog, 11 December 2008 - 12:18 AM.

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Dec 9 2008, 17:40)
Right....and the OP hasn't played CTW either yet he is comparing them. They visually look NOTHING alike.

Yes, they do. They have the same over-head gameplay, Chinatown Wars simply has 3D. Of course, that's your opinion and I respect that. I've just come to the conclusion that you must be going blind.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Chinatown Wars should be compared to Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories, dude check the 1up interview the Rockstar Leeds rep even says so. Plus all 3 games were produced by Rockstar Leeds. I seriously doubt its comparison of visuals. Its a lame attempt to say "see its top down DS can't do 3D wa wa wa"

What you fail to understand is that the topic starter didn't choose to compare it the way you are describing. He is comparing them visually, not by portable vs. portable games. Also, why would someone compare certain games "because Rockstar Leeds says so"? Rockstar Leeds are comparing their portable games because they lead the portable GTA market. The original poster is comparing GTA 2 and CTW because they have similar ways of gameplay and look similar visually, with slight differences, which includes CTW being fully 3D.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Look PSP fanboy, I am an owner of a psp also, but I am not upset that DS fans get to finally enjoy a GTA game. That is why this forum is here, for people that enjoy GTA, everyone of the proper age should be able to check em out. There is stuff that is going to be in CTW that they couldn't even put in LCS or VCS.

Wow, I seriously got a chuckle out of your simple minded assumption of that I'm a PSP fanboy. You're talking to a person that has bought every kind of console, Xbox to Nintendo, Sega to Atari, and you call me a fanboy. How ironic. To make a valid argument, work on facts rather than assumptions. Working off assumptions will only make you look like an idiot.

Look DS fanboy, I am an owner of a DS as well, and I'm also not upset that DS fans get to finally enjoy a GTA game. I know why this forum is here and I haven't shown any disapproval of the reason it's here or the reasons or your opinion, as you've shown me. It's incredibly ironic that you're trying to explain to me why this forum is here, when you're crying about how my opinion is different and trying to correct me because of it. You know why this forum is here? For people to share their opinions on GTA games, getting help in gameplay, and troubleshooting. - My opinion is different from yours, get over it.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Lets compare apples to a used maxi pad!!! "Look everyone they are both red so they taste the same" Um... ok bucko...if you say so.

Hey, I didn't make this topic, so I didn't choose to compare them visually. Maybe you should have an understanding to why this topic actually exists and maybe you wouldn't be bitching. The point of this topic is to compare the two visually and to share your opinions on the similarities of the visuals between CTW and GTA 2.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Rockstar knows what they are doing.

I never said they didn't. I have a lot of respect for Rockstar Games for bringing one of the most entertaining games into the gaming industry, and giving everyone the opportunity to play in their world.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
If not for Chinatown Wars I wouldn't even be into GTA. LCS was ok, VSC is really good, CTW is the next portable installment so I'll check it out.

Well, I have no problem with that. As you've shown, you seem to be more into the portable gaming market, especially with GTA. I am not so much so, and that is why I am not going to buy CTW. It's that simple.

Although, I must say, I did enjoy LCS and VCS a great deal, even on a portable console.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
Be opened minded and do the same.

QUOTE (ME)
You're talking to a person that has bought every kind of console, Xbox to Nintendo, Sega to Atari, and you call me a fanboy. How ironic.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
The pre 3D games look yuck!!!! Why is the OP even comparing the two?

Once again, I think I nailed some more irony there.

QUOTE (Coolyfett)
You know its only gonna be 20-25 bucks for the purchase. Give it a shot and stop hating.

If I already know I won't enjoy it much, since I'm not really for portable gaming, why should I throw my money out?

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (Vicehog @ Dec 11 2008, 00:02)

Yes, they do. They have the same over-head gameplay, Chinatown Wars simply has 3D. Of course, that's your opinion and I respect that. I've just come to the conclusion that you must be going blind.

This is the only part of your post I read, you came lame so I didn't read further lol.
Your not worthy of challenging me.

I Win.

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:29 AM Edited by Vicehog, 11 December 2008 - 03:36 AM.

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Dec 10 2008, 21:04)
This is the only part of your post I read, you came lame so I didn't read further lol.

I Win.

Ouch, you got me. sigh.gif

This sums up how ignorant you really are. You're not worth my time.

MisterEuro
  • MisterEuro

Playa

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

GTA 2 is about rampaging , killing folks and blowing sh*t up.
Chinatown wars has... many more "features".

Zxirius
  • Zxirius

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (MisterEuro @ Dec 11 2008, 08:22)
GTA 2 is about rampaging , killing folks and blowing sh*t up.
Chinatown wars has... many more "features".

Yeah, GTA 2 focuses more along the lines of getting to your goal, which is a certain score/amount of cash. CTW will focus more on storyline over score/cash. Even though GTA 2 had a storyline, it wasn't solely based on it.

GTA 2 is more of an arcade game, while CTW is more of what most modern games are, based off a story. So, CTW is bound to have more features.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Coolyfett @ Dec 11 2008, 04:04)
QUOTE (Vicehog @ Dec 11 2008, 00:02)

I Win.

Wow, that was an ignorant statement. Nice self-proclaiming win, good going with your future failed attempts. GTA2 is definitely better than CTW because it has more opportunities despite the fact it was made around 10 years ago. I'm not portable gamer, I played LCS and VCS on a ps2 so don't quote me on what I said.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

So this is the American Dream?

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Dec 12 2008, 08:00)
GTA2 is definitely better than CTW because it has more opportunities despite the fact it was made around 10 years ago.

What do you mean by this?

Anyway I think it's funny how people bag CTW. I'm not a DS owner, but I reckon most people only bag it, because it's for DS, and R* chose to make it rather than SAS.

It looks interesting, but I'm not buying a DS just for one game.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

I mean the DS has limited capacities hence why GTA2 looks more "impressive".

Zcheese
  • Zcheese

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

maybe slightly of-topic but:
The game boy advance free roaming game ''payback''

compare
This GBA game too

user posted image

our DS game

user posted image

Payback looks 100X beeter then CW; wowever it's on the slightly less powered ( I think ) game boy advance

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

Not only is that picture of CW much larger, and much grainier, but I have little doubt that CW has much more content and a much larger environment than whatever crappy game is in the first pic.

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

That strange GTA2 picture is actually a pre-release screenie wink.gif and Payback was an excellent example. Amazing graphics for GBA too. Download a ROM and try it out; you won't be disappointed.

FiliGTAFan
  • FiliGTAFan

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

If you look at other pics though, GTA CW looks better.
user posted image

user posted image
GTA CW should be better in terms of graphics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users