Photo

R* Giving PC's the worse end of the Stick...again

223 replies to this topic
i_speel_good
  • i_speel_good

My nick's short is Speel.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 9 2008, 07:24)
I hear Left 4 Dead was delayed by a few weeks, some have speculated it was done on purpose to avoid clashing with Gears Of War 2 (god forbid should valve release the game on the PC first).

Yes, they delayed L4D but there's a demo that was released almost on the release date of the game.

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 9 2008, 15:07)
QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 10 2008, 00:05)
Source? Because i dont recall R* saying that GTA IV was meant to com out on pc first...

No, neither do I. And since I didn't say that, why do I need to provide a source?

"The main point is that they fully intended to release GTA IV on PC right from the beginning"

Source???

Or do i need to make it bold for you?

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 10 2008, 00:20)
"The main point is that they fully intended to release GTA IV on PC right from the beginning"

Source???

Or do i need to make it bold for you?

Well one would be pretty f*cking stupid to actually think Rockstar magically decided around July/August: "Hey! Why don't we release GTA IV on PC as well?" Sorry, I'm not that lacking in the brain department. Others may be though.

EntropicLqd
  • EntropicLqd

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Nov 9 2008, 02:35)
... but why is it that it takes about 7 months to upgrade graphics and put in a video editor for GTAIV....

Ignoring the issues of license exclusivity deals for a moment ...

Porting a game is not as simple as simply upgrading the graphics and such like. There are a whole load of other architectural and interface issues that need to be considered. Also, if the video editor is as fully featured and as easy to use as we are being led to believe then R* have done well to get it all done, tested, and finalised within 7 months.

However, since we are told that the PC version was re-built from the ground up, R* Vancouver must have been working on it for quite a while before the release of the console version even.

I'd like to think ... just this one ... that the delay was actually due to R* slipping the delivery of the PC version internally due to them trying to cram in as much (non-game changing functionality) as they can. To be fair to them it does seem like we are going to get a quality port this time around as opposed to the hack job they provided for previous GTA's.

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

Wanting to and actually doing is a totally different, they've never released the pc version before the consoles since the 3d series of gta, doesnt mean its been delayed everytime does it.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 10 2008, 00:25)
Wanting to and actually doing is a totally different, they've never released the pc version before the consoles since the 3d series of gta

I know they haven't.

Here's what, judging from the behavior of Rockstar, must have happened with GTA IV (and similar probably happened with III, Vice City, and San Andreas as well):

First, little Danny and Sammy-boy Houser do their deals with Sony and Microsoft to release on their consoles first. At this point, they know that they will release it down the track on PC as well, but make it a priority not to let this information out. They and everybody else knows how successful the games are on PC, so it is not a big stretch to imagine that they always planned on delivering a PC version, only they'd make PC gamers wait for it. This means that these time gaps of six and seven months are actually delays.

These two extra weeks are nothing, my issue is with the main delay, which always seems to be approximately the same amount of time with each GTA.

As far as this game goes (just my guesses):
6 months = contractual agreement preventing them from releasing on PC.
2 weeks extra = Rockstar probably, after receiving information on pre-orders, realized that they underestimated how many copies they need to have ready for distribution by release time.

nicotin3
  • nicotin3

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 9 2008, 14:03)

Yeah right, at least i had the pleasure to play it half a year before you anyway, oh and good luck with trying to accellerate gradually using keys wink.gif

For you it might have been a pleasure but for me it would have been a ruined experience (IV on a console i mean).
And in this day and age i would expect everyone to know that a 360 controller can be plugged to a PC like you can also plug steering wheels, pedals, hotas, yoke, track-IR...

As for complaining about the late PC release, theres no point to keep going with the drama after so many months. This game (like many others) could have been exclusive to a single platform so im just happy to know we will get a improved PC version happy.gif .

GTA_Godfather
  • GTA_Godfather

PC Advocate

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

A great number of games release PC and console versions at the same time, so it comes down to parallel development. But, because we are talking about R* here. These guys have a proclivity and history for making these kind of deals with Sony/MS. It's not hard to figure out that R* didn't touch PC development until they handed the code off to R* Toronto. And yes, R* knew from the very start that they would be bringing a ported (and delayed) version to the PC.

All I will say is that R* can change their spineless and sycophantic/obsequious ways. They can showcase future GTAs they way they should by choosing the PC as the most capable lead platform. R* holds all the cards now with all of the revenue they have generated from the game. All is not lost, but R* has to do the right thing.

avsrule247
  • avsrule247

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:39 PM Edited by avsrule247, 09 November 2008 - 03:41 PM.

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Nov 9 2008, 02:35)
Now... i love my PC, i own an original Xbox and played my previous GTA's on it, i was never intending to buy an Xbox 360... i play all my games on the PC... but why is it that it takes about 7 months to upgrade graphics and put in a video editor for GTAIV. This is just rockstar thinking that by gaining the anger of almost every PC owning, GTA lover, they will gain more money on the release if they drag it out. I love this franchise so dont get me wrong but why is it that the PC... the ORIGINAL gaming outlet has been given the crap end of the stick... again.

It's all about money. Licenses with Microsoft and Sony prevent Rockstar from releasing a PC version.

It is supposed to work like this:
In the last gen, GTA would release on the PS2 first, so fans would need to buy a PS2 or wait a half a year to play GTA. This maxes out profits for Sony because people need to buy their console and Rockstar also receives a signing bonus for signing a contract that makes GTA temporarily a Sony exclusive.

Thus Sony makes tones of money and Rockstar benefits from longer lasting sales and a signing bonus.

The current gen is the same sh*t, except it is only the PC gamers waiting this time. The idea is that most people would buy consoles to play the game. And if they don't then Rockstar still maintains a continuous income once they release the PC version.

Also, since the Windows software already has huge sales, there is no need for Microsoft to promote the game on PC when they should be maximizing their Xbox sales instead. It is also in the best interest of Sony to have the game out on the consoles, because there is a 50-50 chance a gamer may buy a PS3 instead of a 360 to play GTA. Sony would lose even more profits if the PC got the game the same day as PS3 because there would be no motivation for PC games to go out and buy a PS3.

These factors and more contribute to the fact that the PC gamers need to wait to play the game.

thaCURSEDpie
  • thaCURSEDpie

GTA:IV scripter

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Dodge34 @ Nov 9 2008, 04:01)
The worst thing is they won't support any other gamepad than the X360 which is way overpriced, I love my gamepad and don't wanna upgrade it, but will be forced to pay 59,99$ if I want to play GTA4 on PC with a gamepad. And they get money from Microsoft to do it and to not support any other gamepad, its like Bully I guess, quite a problem to configure it, at least if I can place the commands using Xpadder it should be alright at least.

You're not. Use the following programs: PPJoy and GlovePIE. You might want to search those up. By using those, I can play San Andreas with my WiiMote tounge.gif

medfreak
  • medfreak

Number of fingers = GTA IV PC bugs...

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:08 PM Edited by medfreak, 09 November 2008 - 04:11 PM.

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 9 2008, 14:03)
QUOTE (MISTO @ Nov 9 2008, 13:31)
QUOTE (medfreak @ Nov 9 2008, 12:58)
In my mind, a GTA IV game was never released yet. I only acknowledge the GTA IV I get on my PC.

Well said icon14.gif

The real game will come on pc. On consoles, it was just an expensive beta.

Yeah right, at least i had the pleasure to play it half a year before you anyway, oh and good luck with trying to accellerate gradually using keys wink.gif

Sorry, but f@cking an STD infested whore is no pleasure. I'd rather wait 6 months to go out with the Supermodel. Similarly, playing GTA IV on a console is no pleasure. I'd rather wait 6 months and play it on my PC.

P.S. The 342nd hallmark of a console troll, is the one that still acts as though the Keyboard / Mouse is the only possible controller on a PC. It's written right there on the Bill of Trolls.

GTA_XP
  • GTA_XP

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Guys, stop kissing asses of R* workers and kill the time with some games you like it.
Just only 2 weeks, its not the bigbang explosion!
They have more time to optimize the game and its much better for slow pc.
Like my one C2D P8400 and all most pple with Pentium 4, AMD 3200+, 4000+, 5000+ and higher.
Its f*cked up if the quaddick stay on the requirements!
And the 8600GT is not more than only a one piece of sh*t!
The shaders of GTA4 looks very amazing so the requirement of the GFX card must be an 8800 series.
And then its too earlier to publish the systemrequirements right now.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 9 2008, 15:03)
Yeah right, at least i had the pleasure to play it half a year before you anyway, oh and good luck with trying to accellerate gradually using keys  wink.gif

You know I am so glad we have trolls like tony-resta, so that is why I did not appreciate the console version. I should have been thinking "wow I can accelerate gradually using a joypad", instead I was thinking "my what is that racket coming from the 360, oh it is the dvd drive" and "jesus how can you enjoy aiming and shooting with a bloody controller" or "why is liberty city practically a ghost town" or "why the hell do I have to drive with both hands on the joypad" or "my god these graphics are horribly low res" or "jesus christ either my glasses need cleaning or there is a blur filter about 2 inches from Niko's nose". So instead of thinking all those things I should have thought "oh mega wow I can accelerate gradually with a cheap crappy made in china controller".

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 9 2008, 18:35)
QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 9 2008, 15:03)
Yeah right, at least i had the pleasure to play it half a year before you anyway, oh and good luck with trying to accellerate gradually using keys  wink.gif

You know I am so glad we have trolls like tony-resta, so that is why I did not appreciate the console version. I should have been thinking "wow I can accelerate gradually using a joypad", instead I was thinking "my what is that racket coming from the 360, oh it is the dvd drive" and "jesus how can you enjoy aiming and shooting with a bloody controller" or "why is liberty city practically a ghost town" or "why the hell do I have to drive with both hands on the joypad" or "my god these graphics are horribly low res" or "jesus christ either my glasses need cleaning or there is a blur filter about 2 inches from Niko's nose". So instead of thinking all those things I should have thought "oh mega wow I can accelerate gradually with a cheap crappy made in china controller".

You finished yet?? confused.gif

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 9 2008, 19:37)
You finished yet??  confused.gif

I could also add I was thinking "hm look at that pop up", "why did I crash into that barrier that hadn't fully been drawn yet" or "why is every car the same one as I am driving" or "oh look I can stand in a room and watch it being drawn before my very eyes" or "oh look the 360 decided not to draw the road I am driving on" or "oh my, single figure framerates again and there are 3 cars on the road" or "hey look i am dead again because of the slowness of the analogue sticks" or "hey I am dead again because it is damn annoying trying to aim from the car with an analogue stick"..... etc etc etc

I can come up with a shed load more if you like. But hey what's all that matter the console has pressure sensitive buttons which makes the entire world of difference and makes me forget all those glaring things biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

The console fabboys make me laugh. They don't seem to realise that everything that the Xbox 360 can do, can be done better on a decent PC. Yes, a PC costs more, but it can do more.

The only good thing I can see about my Xbox is the fact it's very simple and easy to use. Oh, and for COD 4 Rockband, but that's it at the moment.

But GTAIV will be better on the PC in every way, unlike some other games. I bet that the console game was running on Medium, or Medium-High on the PC. Nowhere near the highest settings because of console limitations.

This means that if someone with a midrange PC runs the game on Medium-high with a 360 controller, they wouldn't even notice the difference between that and the console version of the game. So imagine what the difference would be like at max res with all the settings cranked up, it would be huge.

And the expanded multiplayer will be excellent. Hopefully.

Gigablub
  • Gigablub

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:25 PM Edited by Gigablub, 09 November 2008 - 07:30 PM.

This place is more like a playground than a serious forum.

Will just wait for my delivery with my checkered slippers on.

Will post when we are focused on the same thing - the game on the pc cool.gif

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

It seems that this port is way better than the previous gta ports.

The R* team that is making the port must be composed of frustrated pc players biggrin.gif

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

around one month left...quit whining..R* employees dont only work..they need to have fun in their lives with the money they got from the IV sales biggrin.gif
then work..u will be getting it soon..No need to worry.Just be patient.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 9 2008, 20:54)
R* employees dont only work..they need to have fun in their lives with the money they got from the IV sales biggrin.gif

I bet they all went out and bought quadcores with HD4870x2 cards so they could truly appreciate their masterpiece biggrin.gif

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Nov 9 2008, 21:17)
QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Nov 9 2008, 20:54)
R* employees dont only work..they need to have fun in their lives with the money they got from the IV sales biggrin.gif

I bet they all went out and bought quadcores with HD4870x2 cards so they could truly appreciate their masterpiece biggrin.gif

Hehe, who knows icon14.gif

I wonder how much guys from R* are registered on this forum.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

@Starion
why the hate? i dont see anyone bashing the PC. ps3, 360, pc are all great gaming platforms. as for graphics its pc > ps3 > 360 but all are very nice.

@DML
i keep saying.... how can a unannounced game be delayed? instead of u telling them to sck cock why dont u and stop your btchin cookie.gif

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 10 2008, 07:27)
@DML
i keep saying.... how can a unannounced game be delayed? instead of u telling them to sck cock why dont u and stop your btchin cookie.gif

Look, why don't you just admit it so everybody sees:

You actually thought that their idea to release on PC was some spur-of-the-moment thing they decided on in August.

If that's what you believe, as opposed to believing that they planned to make PC gamers wait right from the start, then you should be embarrassed.

GTA_Godfather
  • GTA_Godfather

PC Advocate

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

Divinee,

Since GTA III, the PC has be treated as simply another platform for R* to profit off of. I don't object it them wanting to make as much as they can off of it, but I do object to the backseat treatment. We are the ones getting shortchanged.

Yes, the PC platform is treated as afterthought by R*. But believe me, R* doesn't say 4 months after EVERY GTA console release, "Oh....what about that PC thing?...How could we have forgotten it? Silly us! Let's work on that and release it in 2 more months."

No, everything is planned very strategically with Take 2/Microsoft/Sony. Heck, this time they wouldn't even touch the PC platform question in their business meetings or in the press. Their tight operation was all perfectly orchestrated by the execs involved.

It's always been about the money with R* and they really don't care so much about PC gaming. Since they care so much about money and GTA always gets great reviews for the PC version (regardless of how mediocre of a port it is), it would be unthinkable for them to turn away FREE boatloads of cash. That's essentially what it is considering 99% of the work has been done.

R* cares so much about the cash and so little about preserving the quality, they are bringing the world.......

GTA: Chinatown Wars.....for the Nintendo DS. See how simple this really is?

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 10 2008, 07:57)
@DML

Look what ever definition you have of a game delay is irrelevant, it was delayed in a sense that R* had purposely prolonged the release of a PC version so they could maximize the profits on the console sales. Don't want to call it a delay? How about a prolonging, a timed release if that will make you happy!

nicotin3
  • nicotin3

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

If they released the PS3, 360 and PC versions at the same time..

The PC version would be pirated like crazy and they would loose both PC and console sales, the high chances of a leaked PC copy would have disastrous impact on total sales.
They would make less profit on the consoles since PC games are cheaper.
They would miss the oportunity of people buying the console version at release while they wait for the PC version (i bet many who bought IV for the console will buy the PC version when its out).
They would loose money involved in the exclusivity deals with $ony and m$ (yes, money rules this world).

They invest millions in the development of these games so i have no doubt that they do what they must in order to guarantee as high sales as they possibly can and i somehow dont see them changing their ways to be nice just how i wont see people who pirate software change their ways to be nice either.

The PC version is coming later but its better, there are lots of rushed PC games out there that could have used a 7 month delay anyway.

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

All I'm going to say is that you need to quit crying about a few extra weeks. The console users had to wait an extra 6 months.

Oh, and this: PC gamers are the most elitist arrogant pricks in the world.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (numdmind @ Nov 10 2008, 03:05)
Oh, and this:  PC gamers are the most elitist arrogant pricks in the world.

What you class as "arrogance" I say is education when a PC gamer says "PC's are more powerful" he is saying that because they ARE, not because they have some pathetic loyalty to some software or electronics company.

PC gamers are routinely subjected to inordinate amounts of abuse from console gamers. Even here now with our own section of the forum to discuss GTA 4 for the PC we have console gamers coming in here going "ha ha you are getting the game 7 months later ha ha" and "PC gamers are the most elitest arrogant pricks in the world".

Still I guess insults and name calling are the only avenues left open to you really aren't they. I mean all the old arguments have sort of crumbled. Let's see first the PC was never going to get the game, then it was the PC isn't powerful enough and then it was the PC wasn't profitable enough. Well here we are now the PC is getting the game, the PC is powerful enough and I imagine Rockstar can see the PC is profitable enough because we are getting the game.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

i stand by what i keep saying. the only delay for the pc version was the 2 weeks. it seems to me the ones who dont agree with me are only pc gamers that are mad about this "delay" as him 50 console and 50 pc who doesnt have gta4 on console cuz i waiting for pc version.

@numbmind
i agree with you 100%. i go on console forums with some pc gamers too and they dont say fck pc it scks. but here where it seems to be more pc gamer its more of fck consoles pc are the best.

UltimateGTR
  • UltimateGTR

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

Don't fall into the trap of the consoles company! Don't buy console games, don't buy the consoles, forever supoort PC gamers, and buy every single PC games that you love and enjoy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users