Photo

R* Giving PC's the worse end of the Stick...again

223 replies to this topic
Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

Now... i love my PC, i own an original Xbox and played my previous GTA's on it, i was never intending to buy an Xbox 360... i play all my games on the PC... but why is it that it takes about 7 months to upgrade graphics and put in a video editor for GTAIV. This is just rockstar thinking that by gaining the anger of almost every PC owning, GTA lover, they will gain more money on the release if they drag it out. I love this franchise so dont get me wrong but why is it that the PC... the ORIGINAL gaming outlet has been given the crap end of the stick... again.

YoungGun
  • YoungGun

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

Yea, but its licences deals with MS and Sony. AND game makers know that the most money can be made with Console games. Far more Consoles out there then PC's. So, sadly, Consoles will get the most attention first.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

Its not that bad, its not like its delayed by much and to be honest we are finally getting the better end of the stick with a PC version that actually takes advantage of the hardware of PC's. If it takes a short delay to get that then so be it, I am not fussed since we've waited this long what's another few weeks gonna do?

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

quit ur btchn buddy wow.gif

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Nov 9 2008, 02:35)
Now... i love my PC, i own an original Xbox and played my previous GTA's on it, i was never intending to buy an Xbox 360... i play all my games on the PC... but why is it that it takes about 7 months to upgrade graphics and put in a video editor for GTAIV. This is just rockstar thinking that by gaining the anger of almost every PC owning, GTA lover, they will gain more money on the release if they drag it out. I love this franchise so dont get me wrong but why is it that the PC... the ORIGINAL gaming outlet has been given the crap end of the stick... again.

Ha ha. But I mean seriously, porting is much harder than you'd expect. It isn't like replacing a low res pic with a high res one, you need to do much more than that.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:36 AM Edited by DML, 09 November 2008 - 03:39 AM.

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 12:49)

Ahhh....no.

This kind of "bitching" needs to be kept up by the fans of GTA. It makes Rockstar realize that they're getting at-least some of the criticism and disrespect that they really deserve.

Imagine if everybody started (and kept) kissing Rockstar's ass all throughout the console release period and then the lead-up to the PC release - they'd actually believe that we LIKE having to wait for their 6-month cock-sucking period to get our hands on their game.

People's "bitching" on this topic does not and never has hurt me, so keep it up I say.

QUOTE (oc student)
Ha ha. But I mean seriously, porting is much harder than you'd expect. It isn't like replacing a low res pic with a high res one, you need to do much more than that.

Porting DOES take a while, I agree. But wait until the next GTA release comes around (using the same engine); we'll once-again have to wait the exact same 6+ months for a PC release. It's all about sucking the cocks of Sony and Microsoft, and it unfortunately may never end.

Dodge34
  • Dodge34

GTA4 Maniac

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

The worst thing is they won't support any other gamepad than the X360 which is way overpriced, I love my gamepad and don't wanna upgrade it, but will be forced to pay 59,99$ if I want to play GTA4 on PC with a gamepad. And they get money from Microsoft to do it and to not support any other gamepad, its like Bully I guess, quite a problem to configure it, at least if I can place the commands using Xpadder it should be alright at least.

TruXter
  • TruXter

retXurT

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

Wait,

" Let's pi## them off so they buy it and make us a million"

Is that what you just said?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

Delays are an inevitable part of life, I hear Left 4 Dead was delayed by a few weeks, some have speculated it was done on purpose to avoid clashing with Gears Of War 2 (god forbid should valve release the game on the PC first). I believe the delay with GTA 4 is down to inventory issues (ie they didn't do enough discs). I remember GTA_Godfather mentioning something about that.

I am sure Rockstar didn't purposely delay the PC version and I can't see MS really giving much of a toss about GTA at the moment since it didn't shift consoles and didn't exactly make people switch from the PS3 to the 360.

The delay is but 2 short weeks, I am personally glad of it because right at this moment I am spending every waking hour with Fallout 3. Now whilst I am as eager as the next person to play the proper version of GTA 4 I would much rather Rockstar spent an extra 2 weeks getting it right rather than screwing the pooch.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:36 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 09 November 2008 - 04:39 AM.

Think of the bright side. The PC version will have a shinier polish to the game than if it were to be released first. Patience is sometimes a good thing.

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

I was looking forward so much to the 21st though... my exams would be over... and i could just celebrate the freedom from school with hours of GTAIV and now i have to wait 2 weeks for it... but there cant be that much to do in the extra 2 weeks... Everythings basically done... the only probable issue i could see is delivery and copies... but with R*'s money they should be able to get games around fast.

GTA_Godfather
  • GTA_Godfather

PC Advocate

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:10 AM

I think the idea of "appeasement" has gone to some posters' brains. It might sound nice and cozy to just be happy with the scraps we are given, but look where it has gotten us. It has put PC gamers in a perpetual position of being bent over. Perhaps some of you are more than happy in this position. I, however, realize that if that's our position, things will NOT improve on the PC front in regards to R* and other developers. I don't know how to put it simpler terms. Think about the BIG PICTURE.

I'll let some of you settle for less while me, DML, and others like us demand better treatment from developers like R*. If you aren't going to fight for the betterment of the platform, why not just succumb to R*, MS, and Sony and settle for these inferior versions (consoles)? What's the point really if R* doesn't fully use the PC's many advantages (too many to list)?

Never forget, the squeaky wheel gets greased.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:18 AM

Ah yes but that squeaky wheel has gotten a small amount of oil, its not much but its a start.

jesushumper
  • jesushumper

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

It's a small delay for a superior product after MONTHS of waiting.

Shut up.

nicotin3
  • nicotin3

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

I dont know if some of you have noticed but it seems to me that the industry is paying more atention to the PC lately.
And latelly, after all that next gen console hype im seeing more titles coming out for the PC, even if mostly ports or multiplatform titles theres decent stuff coming out or in the making.

I believe the next gen (ok the current gen..) consoles are far from reaching the previous ones in terms of sales and popularity (especially the overpriced ps3) so while these fat, greedy publishers are now forced to invest more in technology and development cycles are longer, they also have lower sales (and less profit).
So i have the impression that publishers want to maximise their total sales investing more on the PC again.

The worse end of the stick? I dont know about that.. they still sell more copies on the ps3 or the xbox360 than they will on the PC so from a business pov its logical but if the PC version really is as good as it sounds i think the waiting will be worth it, atleast more than that SA's crappy port.. we might have to wait but we still end up with the better product wink.gif .

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (nicotin3 @ Nov 9 2008, 18:04)
The worse end of the stick? I dont know about that.. they still sell more copies on the ps3 or the xbox360 than they will on the PC so from a business pov its logical...

Well, when you take into account the XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 users not having to wait for over six months to get the game, then it really is no surprise that the sales figures of the console version dwarf that of the PC version.

I'll believe that Rockstar have started paying attention to the PC platform (like they did years ago) when I see them announce the console and PC versions of the next GTA being released on the same date, or near-about.

amisnaru
  • amisnaru

Non-flying Finn

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

Stop kidding yourself with the "they use the time to make the game better" nonsense.

The delay is only 2 weeks.
I think the game will go gold in the next few days like it was supposed to, and they won't work on it anymore before release.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:43 AM Edited by divinee, 09 November 2008 - 09:45 AM.

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 8 2008, 20:36)
QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 12:49)

Ahhh....no.

This kind of "bitching" needs to be kept up by the fans of GTA. It makes Rockstar realize that they're getting at-least some of the criticism and disrespect that they really deserve.

Imagine if everybody started (and kept) kissing Rockstar's ass all throughout the console release period and then the lead-up to the PC release - they'd actually believe that we LIKE having to wait for their 6-month cock-sucking period to get our hands on their game.

People's "bitching" on this topic does not and never has hurt me, so keep it up I say.

you dont got be a nerd.... its just a game. just go play something else.... btw the console version was delayed 7 months and theres a really good reason why they do pc only.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 19:43)
btw the console version was delayed 7 months

Well if you're talking about the original console release date of October 2007, then the PC version has really been delayed 13 months, so it really doesn't help Rockstar's case with PC gamers.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 9 2008, 02:58)
QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 19:43)
btw the console version was delayed 7 months

Well if you're talking about the original console release date of October 2007, then the PC version has really been delayed 13 months, so it really doesn't help Rockstar's case with PC gamers.

during that 7 month rockstar was fixing issues on the console version. look:

On 6 August 2008, Rockstar announced that a Microsoft Windows version is in development by Rockstar Toronto.

the pc version isnt a pc version built up.... its a 360 port + added features and they need time to add and perfect the features.

medfreak
  • medfreak

Number of fingers = GTA IV PC bugs...

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

In my mind, a GTA IV game was never released yet. I only acknowledge the GTA IV I get on my PC.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 21:54)
the pc version isnt a pc version built up.... its a 360 port + added features and they need time to add and perfect the features.

I don't quite know which delay you're tying to justify - this latest 2-week delay, or the 6-month (+) delay after the release of the console version. One thing is for sure though - when the next installment of GTA is released, it'll take nearly the exact same amount of time to release on PC; despite most of the work being done already on the previous port. Strange?...probably not when one considers how much of a blatant console whoring company Rockstar has become*.

* this needs to be said over and over and over and over and over again, so that any dweeb from Rockstar who may be reading can see what some people think of them.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 9 2008, 05:02)
QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 21:54)

I don't quite know which delay you're tying to justify - this latest 2-week delay, or the 6-month (+) delay after the release of the console version. One thing is for sure though - when the next installment of GTA is released, it'll take nearly the exact same amount of time to release on PC; despite most of the work being done already on the previous port. Strange?...probably not when one considers how much of a blatant console whoring company Rockstar has become*.

* this needs to be said over and over and over and over and over again, so that any dweeb from Rockstar who may be reading can see what some people think of them.

ur saying the pc version was delayed 13 months. but i got you a little quote where it says its in development by rockstar games on august 08. so what i think im saying is that the actual delay was 2 weeks. the waiting time from august 08 to originally nov 18 was not a delay.

and the "6-month (+)" was never a delay becuase how can a unannounced game be delayed wow.gif

maybe if gta 4 pc sales do good and people dont pirated.... it will be released same day as console or shortly after turn.gif

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (divinee @ Nov 9 2008, 22:10)
ur saying the pc version was delayed 13 months...

I'm saying that every day between the console release and the PC release is a delay. How much clearer can I be at pointing out the FACT?

A delay is a delay (look it up if you don't know what it means). The game GTA IV was released for console earlier this year. Most (especially those at Rockstar) knew that a PC release was coming, so all the time between the console release and the PC release is a DELAY.

maybe if gta 4 pc sales do good and people dont pirated.... it will be released same day as console or shortly after turn.gif

There's a large list of things which would need to occur for that miracle to happen. E.g.

- Rockstar would have to get off their high horse and admit how wrong they are in thinking that "consoles are the ultimate platform for GTA" (paraphrased quote)
- Rockstar/Take2 execs would need to stop sucking cock and kissing ass of the console companies (fat chance)
- Rockstar would need to focus on quality of the end product, instead of scheming with Sony and Microsoft to try to shift more units
- Microsoft and Sony would have to start coming up with their own ideas for games instead of stealing them from PC
- Oh, and people not pirating PC games would also help this cause, but not as much as the aforementioned things.

There it is. If you and many others on here with short, easily-forgiving memories, want to kiss Rockstar's ass, then be my guest. But I will not stop attacking Rockstar on this issue until it is resolved.

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (medfreak @ Nov 9 2008, 12:58)
In my mind, a GTA IV game was never released yet. I only acknowledge the GTA IV I get on my PC.

Well said icon14.gif

The real game will come on pc. On consoles, it was just an expensive beta.

divinee
  • divinee

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:59 PM Edited by divinee, 09 November 2008 - 01:03 PM.

@DML

ok getting a little raged there. as i say again.... how can a unannounced game be delayed? during the time console version was out to announced, rockstar was still talking about possibility of pc version. pc version was announced august = no delay. the only delay is the 2 weeks which im guess ur mad about.

its seems your a straight up PC fanboy. ur just bashing rockstar because pc version came out late and seems like u hate console. just because the first GTA was released on PC by 8 months earlier then console dont mean its PC's. i dont think GTA would of gone this far without console and u should be glad there is a pc version for gta 4. and im a console and PC gamer btw.

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

You can think what you like divinee. The main point is that they fully intended to release GTA IV on PC right from the beginning, meaning that every nanosecond between the console and the PC release is a delay.

QUOTE (MISTO @ Nov 9 2008, 22:31)

While that may be true, the game was originally made for console, so at the end of the day we're still only getting a console port. The difference now is that this port is being done by a different team of developers to the previous ports (and the original GTA 1 and 2 games).

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (MISTO @ Nov 9 2008, 13:31)
QUOTE (medfreak @ Nov 9 2008, 12:58)

Well said icon14.gif

Yeah right, at least i had the pleasure to play it half a year before you anyway, oh and good luck with trying to accellerate gradually using keys wink.gif

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (DML @ Nov 9 2008, 15:02)
You can think what you like divinee. The main point is that they fully intended to release GTA IV on PC right from the beginning, meaning that every nanosecond between the console and the PC release is a delay.

QUOTE (MISTO @ Nov 9 2008, 22:31)

While that may be true, the game was originally made for console, so at the end of the day we're still only getting a console port. The difference now is that this port is being done by a different team of developers to the previous ports (and the original GTA 1 and 2 games).

Source? Because i dont recall R* saying that GTA IV was meant to com out on pc first...

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Nov 10 2008, 00:05)
Source? Because i dont recall R* saying that GTA IV was meant to com out on pc first...

No, neither do I. And since I didn't say that, why do I need to provide a source?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users