Photo

Iron Man trilogy and Avengers discussion

436 replies to this topic
Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

user posted image

Yes'um, let's get the prominent details out to start. Iron Man is officially set to be a trilogy, with 2 set for a May 7th, 2010 release. Downey Jr. has signed a 4-picture deal with Marvel Studios that includes the first Iron Man, IM 2, IM 3, and the Avengers film which is set for a July 15th, 2011 release.

Favreau will be returning as director for Iron Man 2, and will be executive producer for the Avengers film. I'm not reading that he's set to direct Iron Man 3, I guess it's just implied he will?

Terrance Howard, who is shocked over the decision and denies it had to do with money, has been replaced by Don Cheadle in the role of James Rhodes, aka War Machine. Cheadle will be assuming the role for Iron Man 2 and Avengers. Gwyneth Paltrow is set to return for the sequel.

The current Avengers roster includes: Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Wasp, Giant Man, Hawkeye and Thor.

Marvel's current plan is to "introduce superhero characters via individual movies that lead up to the characters teaming up for Avengers." That sounds like a hell of a lot of movies to make before 2011. I really doubt that happening, thinking of the possibility of a Wasp movie...

With Downey Jr. playing Iron Man, it is unsure if Norton will be reprising his role as Hulk for the Avengers flick. His falling out with the studio over the final cut of his picture probably means he won't. Eva Longoria was seen leaving a Marvel building with an Avengers comic, and there was speculation she might play Wasp. Typical rumor mills were hinting at Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio for Captain America, which seems very unlikely.

But yeah, those are the juicy details. I'm looking foward more to the Avengers film than any of the Iron Man sequels. A chance to see all those badass superheroes in the same film sounds extremely unmissable. And as good as Cheadle is, I am disgusted with the removal of Terrance Howard. Bad call Marvel, bad call.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

I don't really see Cheadle as the superhero type. Oh well, as much as I hate to see Marvel milking the living sh*t out of all these superheroes in such a short amount of time, Avengers sounds pretty badass.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

If Ed Norton gave up Hulk, it would almost officially destroy any chance of continuity in a Hulk Franchise. I mean come on.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

Even Terrance Howard leaving f*cks me off.

I haaate discontinuity with characters.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

Terrance Howard was awesome in the first movie but Don Cheadle in the sequels just sounds too f*cking cool. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, but Cheadle just doesn't look like superhero material.

I was invested in Howard's Rhodes and wanted him to don the suit and fly around. But Cheadle? It just won't be the same.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:59 PM

I think Leonardo DiCaprio could work pretty well as Steve Rogers; he's got the acting chops, and can be a badass when he needs to be. There's a bunch of speculation for the role of Thor in his upcoming movie (directed by Kenneth Branagh), but I still personally think HHH might be able to hold his own as the Thunderer, with Kevin McKidd a close contender (and probably more plausible).

• Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

Dude, Triple H?

No, just no. That would just kill any possibilty for Avengers being good. No wrestlers trying to be actors.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

Dwayne Johnson's a decent actor for what he's been in, and what's not to say HHH couldn't do it too, considering how long he's been acting. And don't forget Suburban Commando!
user posted image

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:00 AM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 31 October 2008 - 12:04 AM.

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Oct 30 2008, 19:32)
Dwayne Johnson's a decent actor for what he's been in, and what's not to say HHH couldn't do it too, considering how long he's been acting. And don't forget Suburban Commando!

Dude, The Undertaker had a cameo in that movie. Sweet.
I feel Triple H would make a good Thor. I mean, he has the look.

And as for Terrance Howard being replaced: balls. I was hyped for Iron Man 2 before reading that.

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Well, HHH in Blade: Trinity was just a failure. So that's why I find it laughable.

Especially since superhero movies are at a level they've never been at before, and H would just take us back to Daredevil territory.

TheTank
  • TheTank

Yardie

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Oct 31 2008, 03:00)
I feel Triple H would make a good Thor. I mean, he has the look.

It's not about how You look. You need to know how to act too, so it's a big negative on Triple H. Like Don Garcia said, he sucked in Blade: Trinity.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

I'm looking forward to iron-man 2-3, as long as they're at least as good as the first one was. Iron-man was one if not the best marvel movie yet, in my opinion.

I'm not too excited about the avengers movie, though.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Oct 31 2008, 09:32)
And don't forget Suburban Commando!

user posted image

In my opinion, much more a work of modern art.

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, there you go.

Is Triple H capable of acting?

No.

Why not?

See: Suburban Commando and Santa with Muscles.

Let's face it, wrestlers make bad actors. Even my favorite wrestler, Rock, is pretty piss poor on the big screen.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

But those starred Hulk Hogan, not HHH. I'm not sure though if he co-stars as I havent seen them.
HHH was good at what he was supposed to do in Blade: Trinity, being a big muscly vampire. He wasnt supposed to have depth or anything, just a brute.

• Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

But if he played Thor, he'd have to actually show some acting range, something he does not possess.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

To be honest i didn't even know he still lived.

Goodfella.
  • Goodfella.

Your friendly neighborhood Goodfella

• The Precinct

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

I thought Terrence Howard did a good enough job as Rhodey and I really hate recasts, but to be honest I just wish Don Cheadle was in the first Iron Man too, as I think he'd be better for the part. Entertainment Weekley posted this...

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

To think he got payed more than Downey jr... jesus.

I take it everyone's seen the Captain America easter egg in the alternative opening of The Incredible Hulk? I thought it was pretty cool.. no pun intended. I'm doubtfull that Norton will return for The Avengers, though I hope he does. It seems as if they might be setting Hulk up as the villain of the movie. The team Stark talks about at the end of the Incredible Hulk being set up to capture the Hulk and use him as a force of good.

I'd rather Tripple H not be Thor. Don't get me wrong it doesn't need to be an amazing actor, but I'd rather not see a frost giant getting pedigree'd.

Whoever does play Cap is gonna have to pretty much shoot Captain America and The Avengers back to back. I just hope Cap's movie is set entirely in WW2, with the Avenges starting with him being thawed from the ice.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

No Terrance Howard? Oh come on!

Well, at least we might get Eva Longoria inlove.gif

• Members

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

Dude, YouTube stinks for catching that split second of Captain America in the alternate Incredible Hulk opening. But I think I saw him.

As for Hulk being the "bad guy", that'd be pretty wierd. I guess interesting, but wierd.

And Howard getting paid more than the rest of the cast, what the hell? For a supporting character role? I didn't realize Howard was that big of a movie draw.

Goodfella.
  • Goodfella.

• The Precinct

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

user posted image

Cool little easter egg.

• Members

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, I found this video. Better breakdown, and shows the dude who apparently is playing Cap. Or so the comments say.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Speaking of Cap news, Joe Johnston will be directing:

Mon, November 10th, 2008 at 2:55AM PST

Updated: Mon, November 10th, 2008 at 8:22AM PST

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Joe Johnston has inked a deal to direct "First Avenger: Captain America," Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing. No writers are on board, but the studio, which is hearing pitches, expects to hire shortly. CAA-repped Johnston's credits include "Jurassic Park III" and "Hidalgo." He is in post on Universal's retelling of "The Wolfman," starring Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for 'Star Wars,' who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' " said Marvel movie mogul Kevin Feige. "From 'Rocketeer' to 'October Sky' to 'The Wolfman,' you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

"Captain America" will be a World War II-set movie, and the character will appear in the modern day-set "Avengers." Executive producing on "Captain" are Louis D'Esposito, Stan Lee and Marvel Studios' chairman David Maisel.

Kicking off with "Iron Man," Marvel Studios' slate of movies --including "Thor" and the "Iron Man" sequel -- is building toward an "Avengers" movie set for release in 2011, in which the characters from the films team for one big adventure. "Captain America" is scheduled for release May 6, 2011.

http://comicbookreso...rticle&id=18746

Exciting!

• Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:22 PM Edited by Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake, 10 November 2008 - 08:36 PM.

Hm, Johnston eh?

He's a bit of a Michael Bay type isn't he? All special effects and razzle-dazzle. I guess that's a good for a superhero flick, but I hope he can deliver substance in dialog and casting. Hidalgo wasn't a bad movie I thought...

And a WWII setting! Nice, very nice.

Goodfella.
  • Goodfella.

• The Precinct

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

Mickey Rourke has been cast as Crimson Dynamo and Sam Rockwell has been cast as Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2. Niiiiice.

Source

Also there will be Tony's assistant Natasha, gotta be Black Widow.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Awesome. Both are great actors. I would never normally reference Charlie's Angels for something positive, but imagining Sam Rockwell playing a similar villain opposite Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark is an enticing thought.

Still just annoyed about the whole Terrance Howard business. confused.gif

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I hope Howard gets onto his agent and Marvel to secure Rhodes for himself again.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Nah, we're stuck with Cheadle. Lame...

On the Avengers tip:

QUOTE (MTV @ 1/5/09)
This past November, MTV sat down for a chat with the actor we were most thankful for in 2008, Robert Downey Jr., and when the topic of the much-anticipated “Avengers” film came up, the actor who’s now synonymous with Tony Stark made a very telling statement: “Nothing that happened in ‘Iron Man’ is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and super-sized super soldiers and jolly green giants, it warrants much further discussion.”

In reference to director Kenneth Branagh’s upcoming crack at Marvel mainstay “Thor,” Downey’s comments — in addition to a mythology-heavy early draft of the script that was leaked back in 2007 — spelled potential trouble for incorporating the Norse God into the realistic world Marvel is attempting to establish leading up to the live-action superteam event “The Avengers.” However, according to a post on IESB.net, it looks as though an angle has been worked into a new draft of the script that could help get Thor into the real world — namely, Thor’s human alter-ego, Dr. Donald Blake.

Now, before we continue, IESB mentions that this is merely a rumor from “a reliable source” at this point, but the site states that Blake has indeed been added at the end of the script, making mention that the character was not in the original draft leaked back in ‘07. IESB further explains that in the current draft of the script, “Thor” will still take place in an ancient land of Norse Gods, but will eventually lead to modern times, where Blake finds Mjolnir, subsequently transforming the partially disabled American physician into the titular superhero.

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Wowzers. This is great news. Except for the Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle part. mad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users